Search billions of records on

Sergeant Samuel Windridge (1816........)

Back To . . . 28th Foot The North Gloucestershire Regiment
  • Born : 1816
  • Where Born : Atherstone Warwickshire England
  • Baptised :19-09-1817 St Peters, CofE, Manchetter,  Warwickshire England
  • Occupation :  
  • Date Arrived 8th February, 1836
  • Ship Arrived on :  Sydney  , in the ship  " Susan "
  • Rank on Discharge :  Sergeant
  • Date of Enlistment :
  • Where Enlisted :
  • Regimental # : 1075
  • Date of Discharge :  31 May 1842
  • Where Discharged : 
  • Died : 07-09-1896 
  • Where Died / Buried :Kyneton Cemetery Vic 
  • Parents Names
  • 1st Spouse's Name : : Mary Watson
  • Born : 1811 
  • Where Born : Joppa Ayrshire Scotland
  • Occupation : Soldiers Wife
  • Date Arrived :  
  • Ship Arrived on :   
  • Died :   07-09-1896 
  • Where Died / Buried : Kyneton Cemetery Vic 
  • Date Married : 15-04-1842
  • Where Married : St. James, C of E, Phillip St Sydney 
  • Spouse's Parents :
  • 2nd Spouse's Name : : Fanny Peck
  • Born : 1859
  • Where Born : Cambridge shire England
  • Occupation :
  • Date Arrived
  • Ship Arrived on :
  • Died :
  • Where Died / Buried :
  • Date Married : 22-05-1886 
  • Where Married : All Saints, Cof E, St Kilda, Vic.
  • Spouse's Parents :
  • Descendants
    Information supplied by  Mark Windridge
    Area Settled :
    Children :

    History & Achievements :

    Below are excerpts from books referring to Samuel Windridge:
    Victoria and it's Metropolis  Past and Present  Vol IIA
    The Colony and its People in 1888
    McCarron, Bird & Co., Publishers
    Page 235
    "Windridge, Lieutenant-Colonel, Kyneton, is a native of Atheston,
    Warwickshire, England, and served in his younger days in Her Majesty's 28th
    regiment, holding the rank of Sergeant, in the year 1834. He came out to
    Sydney on 8th February, 1836, in the ship Susan, with 400 convicts, and was
    on duty at various convict stations in New South Wales. Accompanying a
    detachment of his regiment, which was dispatched to the Morton Bay penal
    settlement, he was sent to Limestone to take charge of the Government stock.
    On his return to Sydney he was sent with a guard and two boats' crews, in
    the Braque Cumberland, to the Custom Houses, Port Phillip. in 1840 he took
    charge of the prisoner's stockade at Batman's Hill, Melbourne, and was sent
    in charge of six of his men to the wreck of the Clun Mil, which was lost on
    the Ninety-Mile Beach, in order to protect the lives of the passengers, as
    it was reported that the blacks were murdering them. The Clun Mil was the
    first intercolonial steamship between Sydney and Port Phillip, and was
    wrecked on the second voyage. In January 1842 Mr Windridge's detachment left
    Melbourne for Sydney, and in the following May 1842 he left the regiment and
    returned to Melbourne. He was then employed as an assistant under Captain
    Dana in the mounted police, and was sent to do duty in the Portland
    district, the natives being very troublesome in the Glenelg and the
    Grampians, murdering shepherds and hut-keepers, spearing cattle and
    committing other outrages. On returning to Melbourne he was sent by Mr
    Latrobe to mark out the first road from Melbourne to Port Albert, and took
    Commissioner Tyers' dray. In 1844 and 1845 he went in search of the white
    woman who had been taken by the blacks. He also discovered and named Lake
    Tyers after Commissioner Tyers, and marked out the upper road from Gippsland
    to Melbourne.  In 1847 the received the appointment of chief constable at
    Kilmore. In 1849 he removed to Kyneton, and in 1852 received the first
    inspectorship of Forest Creek, and brought the first gold from that diggings
    to Melbourne himself alone. He retired from the Government service in 1854,
    and purchased 158 acres of land at Kyneton, where he at present resides. He
    was the founder of the first road board in Kyneton, of which he was chairman
    three years, and was also one of the founders and president of the
    agricultural society of the district. In 1869, on the formation of the
    Mounted Volunteer Rifles in Kyneton, he became a lieutenant, then captain
    commanding; afterwards major for ten years, and second in command of the
    Prince of Wales Light Horse, and retired with the rank of
    lieutenant-colonel. He has carried his sword in King William's, Queen
    Victoria's and the colonial service for a period of nearly fifty years."
    Captain Dana and The Native Police
    Les Blake - Neptune Press P/L , Melbourne - ISBN 0 909131 94 5
    Page 33
    "Garryowen then summed up the account given in the Port Phillip Herald of 1
    October 1846. 'In the latter end of March, Mr Walsh, the second officer of
    the Native Police, with eight Aboriginal Troopers, Sergeant Windridge, and
    three of the Border Police, accompanied by a black boy of the Gippsland
    tribe named Johnny Warrington, started from the police station at Eagle
    Point to search for the supposed white captive. ..."
    Page 35
    "A fortnight later Windridge with five Border Police, two native troopers
    and an Aboriginal boy made another attempt  to find the woman. In thick
    scrub on the bank of Lake Victoria they espied a camp and went ashore but
    the blacks fled. Windridge, Connolly and bullock driver employed by Tyers
    chased one who had paddled away vigorously in a canoe; they headed him
    towards the shore where several police captured him. He gave them misleading
    information about the white woman which caused the party to make a fruitless
    journey into the mountains.
    After a weeks rest a third attempt was made. Windridge, with three white and
    three black troopers and Johnny Warrington perched proudly on a horse also,
    made a two day journey to the mountains, carrying supplies on a pack-horse.
    Page 36
    "Windridge had taken his men to McMillan's Bushy Park station. Here, Walsh
    with the black police joined him and another attempt to find the shipwrecked
    woman was planned. ... On the following morning the party and their
    prisoners were again on the water, retracing a portion of their course of
    the former day. On a tree close by they noticed a letter E freshly and
    roughly cut as if by a shell. Sergeant Windridge and one of his men then
    crossed an adjoining neck of land, and returned in about an hour with
    intelligence that the blacks were settled at some distance. ..."
    Page 38
    "But certainly Walsh and Windridge did arrest Bunjaleena (or Bungelene),
    with his two wives and three children on 28 June and they were held hostage
    at Narre Warren because of a quaint belief that this would cause the
    tribesmen to surrender the mysterious white woman. After six months Dana
    received orders to return the Kurnai people to their native lands but
    Bunjaleena died, while yet a prisoner, on 21 November 1848. Despite
    intensive investigation by historians such as William Cuthill, the riddle of
    the white woman of Gippsland, who she was and what happened to her - or, for
    that matter, if she ever existed - has never been solved with certainty."
    Page 45
    "Sergeant Windridge had left to take up duty as Chief Constable at the Mount
    Macedon Police Station."
    Castlemaine A Golden Harvest
    Raymond Bradfield - Lowden Publishing Co., Fillmore - ISBN  0 909706 20 4
    Page 14
    "... Lieutenant-Colonel Windridge, later of Kyneton, was the first police
    inspector at Forest Creek and personally carried the first gold from Forest
    Creek to Melbourne alone. He was the forerunner of the great gold escorts
    which later made their way down the road to Melbourne."
  • e- mail address
    Copyright B & M Chapman (QLD) Australia
    Last revised: January 20, 2007.