Search billions of records on

Lieutenant Joshua John Whiting/Whitting/Whitling (1811.....1858.)


Back To . . . 28th Foot The North Gloucestershire Regiment

  • Born : 20th November 1811
  • Where Born : Portsea
  • Bapt :26th March 1813
  • Occupation : Soldier
  • Date Arrived : 24th May 1836 in Hobart, Tasmania
  • Ship Arrived on : " Elphinstone "
  • Rank on Discharge : Lieutenant
  • Date of Enlistment : 15th March 1833 95th Regt
  • Where Enlisted : England
  • Transfered : 5th February 1836, transferred to the 28th Regiment of Foot
  • Date of Discharge :17th August 1838
  • Where Discharged : Sydney
  • Died : 8th September 1858 at Brighton on his honeymoon.
  • Where Died / Buried : Brighton
  • Parents Names William Whiting (b.1775 .....d.1813) m 14th October1802 Emily Cross
    Spouse's Name : Harriet Catherine Dalton Millard
  • Born : 1837
  • Where Born : Woodford, Essex
  • Occupation :
  • Date Arrived
  • Ship Arrived on :
  • Died :
  • Where Died / Buried :
  • Date Married : 18th May 1858
  • Where Married :
  • Spouse's Parents : James Josiah Millard (b.......d.) &
  • Harriet went on to have 7 further children with Edward Henry GIRLING before he died in 1876. McClaine Kerr Dalton WHITTING her son with JJW died in 1910
  • Descendants
    Information supplied by Richard Whiting

    Information supplied by

    Area Settled :
    Children :

    History & Achievements :

    Appointed an Ensign in the 95th Regt. by Baron Hill of Almaraz, following his mother's intercession for
    patronage, citing the death of her husband in the Peninsular War. Lord Hill, had succeeded the Duke of Wellington as army C. in C. on his appointment as Prime Minister and had, as General Sir Rowland "Farmer" Hill, played a leading active role in the Peninsular campaign.
    1830 16th March, Commissioned at 18yrs. as a Lieutenant into the 95th Regiment of Foot (The Derbyshire Regt.)
    1836 5th February, transferred to the 28th Regiment of Foot - The North Gloucestershire Regt, (when his surname was entered as Whitting) - a pencil note suggests he may have joined the Regiment on 15th March 1833. In 1833 the Regiment was in Ireland, moving to Liverpool in 1834 from where they marched to Chatham in February 1835, staying until embarked for Australia guarding convicts sentenced to transportation on a convoy of twenty-three ships.
    1836 30th January, left the Downs, off Dover aboard the Elphinstone, registered in Sheerness, Kent, with master Thomas Fremlin together with the 28th's transport barque, guarding 258 male prisoners, with Capt. (later Lt. Col.) Adams and a detachment of troops, arriving 24th May in Hobart, Tasmania after a voyage of 115 days. On landing in Australia the regiment set up headquarters Parramatta, Sydney, sending detachments all over the colony with a strong presence at Moreton Bay (now Queensland).
    1838 17th August he retired from the Regiment aged 26yrs whilst still posted in Australia before the 28th were sent in 1842 to India.
    1841 Census in New South Wales records him resident at Cuyal, Mudgee, Philip County.
    1851 Inherited, amongst other bequests, his mother's widows ring.
    1858 August, Administration of estate granted to his widow, she then living at 2 Cleveland Square, Hyde Park, describing him as late of Pilton and Haldon, Darling Downs and East Haldon, Moreton Bay, New South Wales and King Street, St James's, Middlesex. Joshua remained in Australia after retiring from his Regiment, possibly farming, returning to the U.K probably shortly before his marriage and death. It also appears likely that he intended to return to Australia since he left a Will which was proved in Queensland. (State Archives No. 55).
    1859 son born posthumously in Mayfair.
    1862 20th August, widow Harriet married Edward Henry Girling of Knoddishall, Suffolk at Ashmanhaugh, Norfolk.

    SON OF:
    William Whiting L.6
    b. 1775 baptised 16th April at Portsea.
    d. 1813 30th July, killed in action near Pamplona, Spain aged 38yrs.
    m. 1802 14th October Emily Cross at Portsea (1776-1851)

    1775 Baptised 16th April, the same day but six years after, the baptism of his brother Joseph.
    1802 described on his marriage licence as a gentleman; his father Joseph Whiting was the bondsman for the ceremony. His wife Emily was almost certainly the daughter of William Cross and his wife Arabella (nee Dorman), who was baptised in the spa town at Bath Abbey 1st Sept. 1776; her parents being married at St. Paul's, Covent Garden, Westminster on 26th May 1763; these locations being evidence of a leisured lifestyle.
    William was commissioned into the 74th Regiment of Foot (Highlanders). The regiment had been formed in 1787 at the cost of the East India Company, wearing full highland dress - the tartan similar to that of the Black Watch - but ceased to wear the kilt on service in India soon after formation. The army recruiting policy was based on the belief that the sturdy Highlanders made durable soldiers in the Indian climate. In 1803-4 the Regiment under Wellington took a heroic part in the battle of Assaye, one of the most decisive in Indian history, and was afterwards presented with special honorary colours. In this action eleven officers were killed and every other officer present with the regiment, except Quartermaster James Grant, was wounded and 384 of the 500 men who formed for battle were either killed or wounded. At this period of military history senior officers led their men into battle. In 1805 the regiment returned home after at least eight years in India. Indian service, though profitable, was not highly thought of in professional terms but proved valuable campaign experience in the subsequent Peninsular war.
    1804 22nd December, William recorded as holding the rank of army Captain (without note of Regiment).
    1805 29th August, William recorded as Captain in the 74th Regiment. Probably a temporary appointment. The pay at this period of a Captain commanding a Company was 191. 12s. 6d. p.a. and was regarded as an honorarium for a gentleman rather than a salary. These payments had remained substantially unaltered in value from the reign of William III until 1870 when the purchase of commissions and promotions was effectively abolished, although the pay of soldiers had been regularly increased.
    1805 11th October recorded at a Lieutenant in the 74th Regt. in parish register on son's baptism.
    In 1809 the Regiment was part of the ill fated amphibious assault on the Belgium coast intended to open up a new front against the Napoleonic armies in Germany. The British became stuck on Walcherin Island, Netherlands, where thousands of men fell victim to fever. This inglorious episode ended in September when the expeditionary force was pulled out, although William must have been at home by March 1809, perhaps as a result of illness.
    On 18th January 1810 the 74th. sailed from Cork harbour to Portugal, arriving at the mouth of the river Tagus on 5th February. Disembarked on the 10th February they were quartered in the convent of San Benito near Lisbon to begin their prominent part in various battles of the second campaign in the Iberian Peninsula under Wellington's direction from 1810 to 1814. This war of attrition is well documented in contemporary published accounts and consisted chiefly of a series of advances and reverses made over considerable distances when each army experienced in consequence insufferable hardships exacerbated by extremes of climate. At Busaco, Portugal on 27th September 1810 one French division, advancing over the occupied ridge collided with the 74th and were driven back at bayonet point, the French sustaining 4-5000 casualties overall in this battle against 1250 Anglo-Portuguese losses. William presumably was at home on leave in February 1811.
    At the village of Fuentes d'Onor on 3rd May 1811 a fierce battle was fought culminating in some savage hand to hand street fighting three days later between the Highlanders and the French, after which the French slipped away having sustained 2,200 battle casualties against a British loss of 1,700 men. The action moved on to the border fortresses of Ciudad Rodrigo and Badajos. The siege lines to the former being established on 8th January 1812 with a desperate gamble of an infantry attack on the well defended fortress being successfully made over ditches through partially demolished sections of the walls on 19th January. Badajos fort was defended by a Spanish garrison of 5,000 men and eventually fell to a night attack on 6th April at the cost of 4,000 British casualties. One of the regimental pipers of the 74th, Piper McLaughlin, played his pipes at the head of the advance at the storming of Badajos until the music was stopped by a shot through the bag. At Salamanca the advance commenced with the taking of three fortalices on 27th June 1812 followed by a sudden, unplanned attack on the French forces on 22nd July producing an impressive victory with 14,000 French dead, wounded or taken prisoner.
    William was probably at Portsmouth in March 1813 and attended the joint family baptism of another son and daughter.
    The battle of Vittoria on 21st June 1813 following a dawn attack on the French achieved a significant victory but was not fully pursued when the British troops discovered the French army pay chest and the accumulated treasure that was the campaign plunder amongst the French baggage. Poor Piper McLaughlin had both legs shot off whilst playing behind the Colours during this attack and continued playing the pipes until he died.
    The Peninsula campaign entered its final phase with the regiment taking part in battles in the Pyrenees, during which a French counter-attack at Huarte was beaten off thus blocking Marshall Soult's intended advance to Pamplona. Following a further battle at Sorauren, Soult decided to retire to Lizasso and then on to San Sebastian. The French rearguard under General Foy moved along the heights north of the Arga valley whilst General Picton with two covering troops of cavalry marched the 3rd Division up the valley exhibiting great caution, parallel to and below the French. The officers under Picton in Brisborne's Brigade became impatient and Col. le Poer Trench prevailed upon the General to allow the 74th to undertake a particularly dangerous manoeuvre on the morning of 30th July 1813 and ascend the heights and cut out the French rear. A brief but violent encounter ensued in full view of the remainder of the Division on the valley floor as the 74th scaled the heights and set upon the French killing, wounding or taking prisoner 1500 men. William was the only officer killed in this unnecessary action - the last major skirmish of the Spanish campaign - in which the regiment also lost six other ranks. Capt. (Bvt. Major) William Moore, Lts. Alex Hope Pattison and Francis Duncombe suffered severe wounds, with Capt. William Tew and Lt. Col. Trench receiving slight wounds. Thirty-eight men were also wounded. Wellington's despatches record: The movement made by Sir Thomas Picton merited my highest commendation: the latter officer co-operated in the attack of the mountain by detaching troops to his left, in which Lt. Col. the Hon. R. Trench was wounded. Precise details of this engagement are to be found in the notes made by the Adjutant of the 74th.
    Personal effects were customarily auctioned amongst brother officers in the Regiment. William's battlefield possessions made 88. 17s. 0d., rather more than other receipts recorded in the Regt., between 1810-13. This sum remained uncollected and a letter was sent by the War Office on 25th October to Emily, reminding her to draw this sum from the Agents.
    1813 Notice of his death was posted in the London Gazette.
    General Sir William Napier wrote of the war: (The army) had won nineteen pitched battles and innumerable combats; had made or sustained ten sieges, and taken four great fortresses; had twice expelled the French from Portugal, and once from Spain; had penetrated France, and killed, wounded or captured two hundred thousand enemies, leaving of their own number forty thousand, whose bones whiten the plains and mountains of the Peninsula. Their efforts were largely overshadowed in the public mind by the subsequent battle of Waterloo, despite the fact that more British soldiers had died in the Peninsula than were even present on the field at Waterloo.
    The 74th afterwards underwent various amalgamations and is presently subsumed within the Royal Highland Fusiliers.
    Quite why William chose to serve in a Scottish regiment is unclear. No doubt he had purchased his commission with part of a substantial legacy from his late great-uncle.
    William's children had been baptised in Portsmouth when aged between one and three years of age. Most usually children were baptised very shortly after their birth and the explanation for delay must clearly be that William arranged for family attended baptisms at Portsea as his military movements or home recuperation leave permitted.
    One of William's fellow officers Henry White, the Lt. Adjutant of the 74th who was severely wounded at Vittoria, was pensioned and after like service at Hull became Town-Major at Portsmouth from 1823.
    1828 Emily's granddaughter baptised Emily Maria, after her aunt in Thanet, Kent. In 1859 12th January, granddaughter Emily Maria was married in London to Alexander Ludwig Wilhelm eldest son of Wilhelm Baron von Paleske of Sprengawsken bei Preuss, Stargard, West Prussia, and of Therese, Countess von der Schulenburg. The Paleske family were exceptionally wealthy landowners, merchants and shipowners with bases in a number of Baltic ports and in London. One family member Ludwig Paleske (1756-1844) lived in Park Lane, London (becoming Lewes on British naturalisation by Act of Parliament dated 1781/2) from where he financed the army of the Prussian General Yorck, who changed his support for Napoleon to the anti-Napoleon coalition in 1812, thus forcing the King of Prussia to follow together with the rest of Prussia, and almost certainly altering the outcome of the Napoleonic wars in favour of England. Whether Lewes's support was in response to the French `Continental System' - the closing of European ports to British trade from 1806 which threatened his livelihood and caused a commercial crisis in England in 1810/11, or to the death of his brother in the Napoleonic bombardment of Danzig is uncertain, but it is unlikely that a merchant with even Lewes's massive resources could have sustained Yorck's auxiliaries for long and it is more than possible that he was the conduit for secret British funds to Yorck - a theory given support by the 1814 Treaty of Chaumont binding the Russians, Austrians and Prussians together and funded by the British Government to the extent of 5 million pounds sterling. Lewes was created a Baron by the King of Prussia in 1822 (despite being a British citizen) and being without heirs caused his nephew Wilhelm to be similarly ennobled from the same date.
    1832 Emily wrote a second letter following one sent a year earlier on a similar theme seeking an appointment in the Cape for her son-in-law Olof Stockenstr(m from Lord Goderich, (later Lord Rippon) Secretary for War and the Colonies, in whose gift such appointments lay. Her address at that time was 77 Great Portland Street, Portland Place (London).
    1841 Probable visit from her two granddaughters living in Ceylon.
    1851 The last Will of Emily dated 24th June, proved 5th November in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. After various bequests she requested burial at St. Johns Wood and desired Mr L'Etrange to remove one of her fingers after her decease, no doubt as a precaution against premature interment. Her last address was then 37 Berners Street, Oxford Street, London.

  • Family Members Military records  ,Pay rolls, Pay Musters, Cemetery Records, Church Records & General Muster Records, Mitchell Library ,Sydney Australia
  • The information is intended for short Historical value only,
    E- mail address
    Refer to Home Page
    Copyright B & M Chapman (QLD) Australia
    Last revised: Friday, 17 April 2009 02:14:38