Search billions of records on

Sergeant Lewis Henry Campbell (.1783......1854.)

Descendents and History.
As written and supplied by

Anthony L Campbell

First Generation


1.  Sgt Lewis Henry CAMPBELL-[1] was born in 1783 in Galway, Ireland, was christened in 1783 in St Nicholas Collegiate Church, Galway, Ireland, died 7 Apr 1854 (V1854/2124) in Seven Hills, NSW, and was buried on 10 Apr 1854 in St Bartholomew's Anglican Church, M4 side, Prospect. 
General Notes: According to the Description Book of the 1/23rd Foot, he enlisted on 4th July, 1805 at Wrexham (North Wales) into the 23rd Regiment,  'The Royal Fusiliers', later known as 'The Welch Royal Fusiliers'.
The following is supplied by Captain (Retd) A E GRAY Military Historian, specialising in the records of soldiers who served on the Regular Establishment of the British Army (including the King's German Legion) and in the Royal Marines (1860-1913).  (Captain GRAY was hired by a relative of Lewis', Mrs. Beverley DWYER of Queensland to research Lewis' Army record).  The following is dated 19th March, 1993.
Dear Mrs. Dwyer,
Having pursued the requests set out in your letter of 9th March, to the fullest extent by researching all the surviving sources of the 23rd Foot, I am now able to send you this report of findings.
2.  You asked principally for details of Lewis CAMPBELL'S movements with the 23rd Foot between his enlistment in 1805 and his transfer to the 48th Foot in 1814.  A schedule of those movements, and such other small detail of him as appears in the regimental muster returns of either the 1/23rd Foot or 2/23rd Foot, together with any comments in square brackets, is as follows
Return for the quarter ended and rendered to the War Office from:-
24.7.1805        WREXHAM      Private Lewis CAMPBELL enlisted on 4.7.1805 and
                                                posted to Captain Lord BURGHERST'S Company. Each
                                                battalion then comprised 10 companies, each named
                                                after its officer commanding.]
24.9.1805         WREXHAM     Promoted Corporal 25.8.1805. [This rapid promotion
                                                may be an indication that Lewis had been recruited
                                                into the Regular Army from one of the county militias
                                                and therefore had some previous experience]. Posted
                                                to Captain LEAHY'S Company on promotion.
24.12.1805       CHESTER        Promoted Sergeant 25.11.1805.  Posted to Captain
                                                McDONALD'S Company.
24.3.1806         CHESTER        Engaged on recruiting duty at HOLYWELL.
     6.1806         CHESTER        [Take as present where no comment appears.]
     9.1806         CHESTER
24.12.1806       CHESTER        Reduced to Private 11.12.1806. [His offence is
                                                unstated, but reduction to the ranks was the mildest
                                                punishment that could be awarded to a serjeant or
                                                corporal.  Military offences were (and are) numerous
                                                and no defaulters' books survive for any regiment]
24.3.1807      COLCHESTER    Received from the 2/23rd Foot and joined at
                                                 COLCHESTER on 24.1.1807.  Promoted Corporal
                                                24.1.1807 and posted to Captain CORTLAND'S
      6.1807     COLCHESTER    Reduced to Private [date unstated for an unspecified
      9.1807   COPENHAGEN, DENMARK.
                                                Deserted 20.8.1807. [The 1/23rd Foot formed part of a
                                                naval and military expedition sent to Denmark to
                                                prevent the Danes becoming a tool in the hands of
24.12.1807 - 24.12.1810         [Having deserted, Lewis is not recorded in the muster
                                                 returns between these dates.  Following its service
                                                during the expedition to Denmark, the battalion
                                                embarked from the ISLE OF WIGHT in January 1808
                                                and took station in BARBADOS.  It left the WEST
                                                INDIES on 9.3.1809 and took station at HALIFAX,
                                                NOVA SCOTIA.   From there it was recalled to form
                                                part of the Duke of Wellington's Army in the IBERIAN
                                                PENINSULAR.  It left HALIFAX on 10.11.1810 bound
                                                for LISBON]
                                                 Re-joined from desertion.  [Lewis had either been
                                                 apprehended or had given himself up - see later
                                                 paragraph for further comment.  OLIVENZA is in
                                                 SPAIN, south-west of BADAJOZ, close to the
                                                 SPANISH/PORTUGUESE frontier.  The battles of
                                                 BADAJOZ, SALAMANCA, BURGOS, VITTORIA, etc
                                                 in which the 1/23rd Foot participated had yet to take
                                                 place at this date]
24.6.1811   IN SPAIN                Sick absent:  April, General Hospital: May. [This
                                                 implies that Lewis was either sick or wounded]
24.9.1811   IN SPAIN
                                                  [The battalion was clearly engaged in operations in
                                                 both countries.]
                                                 Lewis employed as Orderly at General Hospital at
                                                 COIMBRA, PORTUGAL: January.
24.9.1812   IN PORTUGAL       [Noted as also present: Serjeant Michael CAMPBELL
                                                 and Privates James and Daniel CAMPBELL. These
                                                 men may be related either to each other or one or
                                                 more to Lewis CAMPBELL, but there is no means of
                                                 establishing relationships from old War Office
                                                 records.  Fathers, sons, brothers and other
                                                 relatives were always allowed to serve together in
                                                 the same regiment even in the uninformed times of
                                                 this period.]
24.12.1814  GOSPORT            Transferred to 48th Foot 3.11.1814. [Reasons for
                                                 transfer are not stated in muster returns]
20.11.1814   Lewis transferred to 48th Regiment (Northamptonshire Regiment of
                     Foot; 5th or COCHRANE'S Marines; Col James CHOLMONDEY'S Regiment       of Foot).  He enlisted as a labourer.  The Army records give a
                     description of Lewis as 5'8", fresh complexion, grey eyes, sandy hair
                     and an oval face.
25.3.1815     Lewis was promoted to Corporal and was earning 1/10 per day.
10.1.1816     Lewis was promoted to Sergeant Schoolmaster, receiving an
                     "encrease" in pay.  The pay sheets say "Names not checked forward
                     in consequence of the Regiment having proceeded from Nass, Ireland
                     to N.S.W."
3.  Lewis CAMPBELL'S desertion in Denmark is of particular interest, although in view of the limited time at my disposal in extracting detail from musters, etc, I have not been able to look into the matter.  Desertion was a very serious offence; and desertion in the face of the enemy, with which it seems probable that CAMPBELL would have been charged, is an even more serious one, for which recaptured deserters were once hanged.
4.  His absence from the 1/23rd Foot for nearly 4 years suggests a long term of imprisonment, if he was recaptured early on.  Checks of the 2/23rd musters over the span have shown that he was not recaptured and returned to that battalion during the period 1807-1811.  On recapture, or on giving himself up, it is probable that he was tried and convicted by general court martial, then the highest military court.  Records of such trials exist in the collections of records of the Department of Judge Advocate General, the legal officer responsible for military law.  Such records take of the form of a brief summary of the particular trial normally yielding its date and place, the nature of the offence and the sentence of the court.  However, many cases exist in which the full record of the proceedings have survived, together with statements of evidence given by various witnesses, and the full deliberations of the court.  Where such proceedings exist, they often include submissions made to The King for confirmation of sentence.
5.  It is impossible to hazard a guess at what type of record may have survived in Lewis CAMPBELL'S case, nor is it possible to give any very clear view of how long it may take to find such a record; but a period of up to 2 1/2 hours further research may be required if you wished the issue to be pursued further.  In that event, no monies need be sent, and payment may be left until later for settlement on the basis of mutual trust.
6.  In seeking such details of Lewis CAMPBELL and his service as survive, I have also consulted a 2/23rd Foot description book. It is the sole survivor of one of many that once existed.  His name does not appear in it.  Nor do service returns of both 1/23rd and 2/23rd Foot, prepared in 1806, make any mention of him, not withstanding that he enlisted in 1805.  It is probable that the returns are incomplete.
7. As you will see from other entries on the enclosure, desertion in the face of the enemy attracted a punishment of death by hanging or shooting, while the lesser punishments of 300-1000 lashes, sometimes accompanied by imprisonment with hard labour and/or transportation were awarded for what were clearly less serious degrees of desertion.
8.  Perhaps you would be kind enough to let me have your acknowledgement of this letter, together with a cheque in the sum of 24 pounds to cover the 2 hours' research involved.  I am only sorry that it did not achieve the whole truth, which I am sure would have made for an interesting article.
Yours sincerely
His next letter to Mrs DWYER was dated 7th April, 1993.
Thank you for your letter of 29th March.  I am so glad that you found the information obtained from the earlier session of interest.
2.  While Lewis CAMPBELL  may have been sacked from the police for drunkenness, we have both condemned him too harshly on the issue of his desertion.  He was, in fact, acquitted, as you will see from entry no. 12 on the accompanying copy page from an old court-martial summary book [source WO 90/11]
3.  You will note that his trial took place at Azambuja [about 30 miles north-north-east of Lisbon in Portugal] on 21st January 1811, nearly 3 1/2 years after the 23rd Foot musters recorded him as having deserted at or near Copenhagen on 20th August, 1807.
4.  I have very carefully examined all possible collections of papers and proceedings of courts-martial for 1811 , but, very regrettably, have to be satisfied that no fuller record of CAMPBELL'S  trial and acquittal survives.  We are left with the tantalising question of how he secured his acquittal - a question that can never be answered.
5.  I can only hazard two guesses at the reasons for his innocence.  First, that he was able clearly to demonstrate to the court that he had become separated from the battalion during confused fighting around Copenhagen in 1807, was unable to rejoin it and somehow eventually made his way back to England to be posted back to the regiment in Portugal in 1811.  Or, second, that unbeknown to his fellow soldiers and to the battalion, he had, in fact, been taken prisoner in Denmark and had either escaped or been released in 1810, in order to be repatriated home.
6.  One of these guesses is, I am sure, the true record of events, but much regret that the absence of records does not enable me to prove either.  This is a great pity, as his evidence to the court would have been particularly interesting.
7.  I hope that the foregoing details will be of interest to you.  If you have any queries, I shall be pleased to answer them; but I should be grateful for your acknowledgement of this report in any case.
8.   Incidentally, the 23rd Royal Welch Fusiliers still use the ancient spelling of "Welch" in their title.
Yours sincerely
Lewis married Mary GORDON  on 24th May, 1815 at St Munchin's Church, Limerick, Ireland (Church of Ireland).  Lewis evidently served with the 48th from the time of his marriage until the Regiment was directed to go to New South Wales as replacements for the 46th South Devonshire  Regiment.
They sailed on the ship 'Dick as part of the 48th Regiment.  The ship embarked from the Cove of Cork.  They arrived in Sydney on 3rd September, 1817 and whilst en route to the Colony of New South Wales, Lewis taught the soldiers and children of the 48th Regiment of Foot as he was enlisted as Sergeant/Schoolmaster.   Lewis was aged 33, Mary was 19 and their first child Ann was born on the ship on 25th July, 1817, near St Paul's Island.
Their second daughter, Sarah was born on 9th June, 1819; Henry Lewis was born 15th November, 1820; William 12th December, 1822; christened 12th January, 1823; Robert Gordon was born 26th April, 1824, at Sydney Barracks, baptised 30th May, 1824.  They were all baptised at St Phillip's Church of England, York Street, Sydney.
Lewis was discharged from the Army on 3rd January, 1823. "Discharged by order of the Constable of Forces - Voucher No. 9."  Voucher no. 9 says"Copy of Major General Sir Thomas BRISBANE'S order for the discharge of Sergeant CAMPBELL. All the family were mentioned in the General Muster List of NSW, 1823, 1824 and 1825.
The Sydney Gazette dated 28th April, states that Lewis was appointed Constable at Parramatta.  The 1825 Muster also has Lewis as a Constable at Parramatta.  Mary and all the children are mentioned.
About this time Lewis was working for Robert CRAWFORD as an Overseer (as well as being a Constable).  By September, 1825, Mary was pregnant by Robert CRAWFORD.
On 26th November, 1823 Lewis wrote to the Colonial Secretary requesting an allotment of land in Parramatta, he was living at Prospect at the time.  The Colonial Secretary, Mr Frederick GOULBURN, replied on 28th November, 1823 approving the grant of land, however the address is not known at this stage.  Lewis evidently owned several parcels of land because in 1834 James BATES Snr, a former convict acquired the previous grant of Sgt Lewis CAMPBELL at 37-39 Roger Place, Seven Hills.  The estate was originally known as 'Mount Pleasant'.  The original homestead was also known as 'The Red House'.  This was demolished sometime after the present house was built by James BATES Jr in the 1880's. In 1891 the farmhouse was listed in the census as 'Mount Pleasant', so evidently it was renamed 'Dayton House' subsequent to this.
(It is described as a two storey brick Victorian house with a corrugated iron hipped roof.  The simple symmetrical design of the building, multi -paned windows and doors and simple chimney stacks are reminiscent of Georgian architecture.  The front entrance is flanked by two French doors.  The brick walls were rendered to produce a textured finish.  Each bedroom has a fireplace and the house originally had a verandah, now absent.)  It is still standing.  At some stage prior to 1984 "Dayton House" had been covert ed into flats with a rather unsightly concrete porch added to the front to allow external access to the upper floor.  The present owners have restored the house, removing the porch.  It is currently privately owned.
All was not well in the CAMPBELL household at this time, as Lewis was employed at this stage by Mr Robert CRAWFORD, Principal Clerk of the Colonial Secretary's Office, to help clear his land at 'Hill End', Doonside which was a grant of several thousand acres.
Apparently, Lewis approached Robert CRAWFORD  to help him to obtain a land grant and Lewis was granted land close to that of Robert's.  In a letter to his father in September 1822, CRAWFORD told his father that he had employed a sergeant of the 48th to manage his farm and he was about to get his pound of flesh for favours rendered.  (It looks like Mary may have been his "pound of flesh") Robert was by all accounts something of a ladies man, and had set his sights on Mary CAMPBELL.
Lewis and Mary lived on the Hill End estate, but after accusations of an affair between Mary CAMPBELL and Robert CRAWFORD, Mary was removed from the estate, set up comfortably in Sydney and three months later had given birth to Robert CRAWFORD'S  daughter, Mary, in 1826.  They had four children together, but their relationship was kept quiet and Mary CAMPBELL died in 1832 aged 32 and is buried in St John's Cemetery, Parramatta.  Their children were Mary b1826, Robert b1827, George Canning Campbell CRAWFORD  b1829 and Agnes Campbell CRAWFORD, b1831.  Robert married Sarah JONES six months after Mary died.
Robert CRAWFORD built a mansion at 43 Lower Fort Street, Sydney.  The building is called 'Clyde Bank' and has been restored and is now a private gallery of early colonial art and furniture.  The Strangers' Guide in New South Wales in 1839 writes - "Fort Street".... In this quarter a number of respectable dwelling houses have been erected ... having a fine appearance from their uniformity and are mostly occupied by opulent persons."
After his "Immoral conduct" CRAWFORD resigned from his job, however, I think he did this before he was removed from his position in the Colonial Secretary's Office.  Whilst visiting Edinburgh in 1848 he suffered a heart attack, fell down some stairs in an inn, and broke his neck resulting in his death.
On 2nd April, 1825 a letter was sent to the Colonial Secretary's Office recommending Lewis to the position of Constable "to be situated on the Richmond Road, there being only one Constable in that district, who is unable to execute the duties of the district, which requires at least three Constables".  This was recommended by W. LAWTON, J.P. and John CAMPBELL J.P.
The recommendation was approved and Lewis was appointed Constable, District of Parramatta on 27th April, 1825.  On 7th May, 1825 he was included as District Constable on the pay list of constables at Parramatta.  He was dismissed from this position in 1827 for drunkenness.
This letter was written  by Lewis to Governor DARLING:
                                             1st November, 1826
To His Excellency Gov. DARLING
Captain General Governor in Chief in and over The Territory of New South Wales and its Dependence.
The Humble Petition of Lewis CAMPBELL Late Sgt With 48th Regiment
Herewith, your Petitioner is obliged to introduce himself to your Excellency's notice a second time, his petitioner stated to Your Excellency the conduct of Mr CRAWFORD, a Clerk in the Colonial Secretary's Office.  How he seduced your Petitioners wife, the mother of five small children.  Your petitioner most respectfully urges leave to state to your Excellency that Mr CRAWFORD is determined to keep the petitioners wife contrary to all laws, his conduct of the accused is quite Public for instance he removed her from his farm in Prospect and had her conveyed to Sydney where a furnished house was prepared for her reception and in the mean time three small helpless children were sent to your petitioner to take care of.
Your Petitioner's Public Duty as a Police Officer often calls him from home and his poor children are left in a helpless state without any friend to protect them in his absence.  Since the arrival in Sydney from Mr CRAWFORD'S farm in Prospect, which is now six months, she was confined of a female child. This circumstance and the menaces held out towards the petitioner places him in a VERY unpleasant situation.  It appears the part Mr CRAWFORD has taken in this melancholy affair and availing himself of his authority and the situation he holds under the Government, his conduct should be enquired into and not be allowed to proceed quietly in his adulterous career.
Your Petitioner holds in his possession two letters purporting should your practitioner interfere in any respect either with Mr CRAWFORD or your petitioner's wife he will be punished with the loss of his situation or something severer.  Such language as this is an assumption of power it  is trampling on the rights of all Freeborn English men and has a dangerous pending towards it and should not proceed from a person holding a Lucrative situation in your Government.
Your Petitioner, Lewis CAMPBELL Your Excellency to John HARRIS Esquire Police Magistrate, Parramatta respecting the conduct of Mr CRAWFORD towards your petitioner, Your Petitioner most respectfully solicits Your Excellency to take the case as stated into your serious consideration and grant the indulgence of placing your petitioners two daughters in the female orphan school and also a divorce from petitioners wife for such act of humanity and .....  Your Petitioner will consider himself ever in duty bound to pray.
                              Lewis CAMPBELL Prospect, September 16th 1826.
The following is a letter written on 6th November, 1826 by Mary to the Governor of NSW, Lt General DARLING about her husband, Lewis CAMPBELL. Her letter reads:
'I have been told that my husband has given you a great deal of Trouble and moreover brought into question the name of a very respectable young gentleman, which causes me to make the following statement.  There is always two ways of telling a story and I am sure his Petition to your Excellency is very pitiful.
Lewis CAMPBELL whose wife I am has a most Diabolical Temper, and the Treatment which I have received at his hands here and in Ireland is well known to many Officers of the 48th Regiment - repeatedly have I been Beat and Maltreated; and when he loaded a gun to shoot me, I thought it high time to quit, and will never more Return or join him. He offer'd to sell me for a hundred pounds and even sent to the Gentleman whose name has been mentioned to say that if he would give 100 pounds there would be no more about the matter; if not, that he would make such a Representation to your Excellency as would Injure the Gentleman - when he found he could not succeed in this Tack, he sent me a Petition in his own hand which I was to copy and swear to, before Capt ROSSI that I was not his wife.  This I would not do
This petition I enclose.  He then sent me the Enclosed Articles of Separation, witness'd by a man in Mr WEMYS' office, for me to sign and when done he would convey to me his farm, and I should take the children. I said I would but I was told that a transfer from him to me would not stand good in law, but if he would give a Conveyance to some other Person, it would do, this he Refused because his intention was never that I should obtain the land, but he merely wanted to humbug me, and clear himself of the children.  All the Papers I send to your Excellency and I will have you to Judge of the Character of Lewis CAMPBELL; they are all written by himself.  I will prove this.  In a word he wants to get married to a woman in Parramatta and wants to get rid of his children by getting them into the Orphan School.
As all these Papers are Genuine, I will thank your Excellency to return them to me, with your Opinion.'
Please address them to     Benj HODGHAM  behind the barracks, Sydney
                                                     Mary CAMPBELL,Sussex Street
It would appear that Lewis looked after the children himself from the time of Mary's fling with Robert CRAWFORD  until 1827 when Lewis wrote to the Rev W. CARTWRIGHT of the Male Orphan School at Parramatta, requesting that 2 of his little boys be accepted to the Orphan School "as since his discharge from the British Army, he was employed for the last 3 years as an Overseer to Mr Robert CRAWFORD,  who was the Chief Clerk of the Colonial Secretary's Office.
In return for Lewis' attention to Robert CRAWFORD'S business he "ungenerously seduced my wife Mary and brought misery and infamy on my helpless children.  Mary now lives with CRAWFORD and has thrown the 'burthen' of our helpless children on my hands.  It is with pain and anxiety I behold them without mother to pay them that care that is out of my power to 'shew' them and I most respectfully solicit your kind interference with the Committee in behalf of my two little boys to be admitted into the Male Orphan Institution and pledge myself to abide by any necessary obligation required - Mr FULTON can furnish you with the melancholy history of the whole affair better than my pen can transcribe.  Signed "Sir, I am most respectfully your humble obedient servant, L.H. CAMPBELL, A Constable.'
(The Mr FULTON Lewis was referring to in his letter to the Colonial Secretary re Mary's infidelity was the Reverend Henry FULTON who was born in England in 1761.  He enrolled in Trinity College, Dublin in 1788 where he received a Bachelor of Arts in 1792 and was ordained to the ministry of the established Church of Ireland by Bishop BARNARD  of Killaloe.  He was sentenced to transportation to New South Wales for his part in the Irish Rebellion  of 1798 and arrived aboard the 'Minerva' on 11th January, 1800.  He received a conditional pardon on 8th November, 1800 and was sent to the Hawkesbury.  In February 1802 he was sent to Norfolk Island where he remained until 1806, receiving a full pardon in 1805 because of his work there.  On his return to Port Jackson he was appointed acting Chaplain of Parramatta, Samuel MARSDEN  being on leave of absence in England.  He was officially suspended in 1808 because of his loyalty to the disposed Governor BLIGH and reinstated as assistant Chaplain to the Colony in January 1810 by Governor MACQUARIE.  He travelled to England with BLIGH to testify at Leut-Colonel JOHNSTON'S court martial, returning on board the 'Mary' in May 1812.
He was made resident chaplain of Castlereagh and Richmond on 18th June, 1814 and opened a seminary at his new parsonage at Castlereagh on 11th July 1814 where he instructed young gentlemen in the classics, modern languages and 'such parts of the Mathematics, both in Theory and Practice, as may set the taste of the Scholar'.The poet, Charles THOMPSON  junior was among his students at Castlereagh. Thompson dedicated 'Wild Notes, from the Lyre of a Native Minstrel' to FULTON when it was published in 1826.  This Charles THOMPSON  may have been the son of the Charles THOMPSON  Lewis worked for in Goulburn Plains in 1828.
The town of Castlereagh failed to flourish and Fulton's designation changed from 'Chaplain of Castlereagh' to 'Minister of the Parish of Penrith' in 1838.
He died on 17th November, 1840, living four years after his wife Ann, and is buried in the vault of his son-in-law, John MacHENRY at the Castlereagh Cemetery.)
We do not know which of the three boys, Henry, William or Robert he is referring to or whether they were accepted or not as the letter has the notation "Deferred - for further consideration" and we have not found any further correspondence to or from the Institution, however we know he kept in contact with Ann because of her death notice in the Sydney Morning Herald which refers to Lewis as her father.  It is assumed Robert and Henry kept in contact, as they were witnesses to each other's weddings, Sarah was married to John FARRELL who provided a head stone for Lewis' grave.  William is a mystery; all we know of him is his date of birth and nothing further.
The following extract is taken from the "Historical Records of Australia"
(Despatch marked "Private" per ship Marquis of Huntly' acknowledged by Under Secretary HAY, 13th July, 1827)
My dear Sir, Sydney, 3rd February, 1827.
I have forwarded with my Despatch, No 10, a letter from Mr CRAWFORD, appealing to Lord BATHURST  on the subject of his resignation as Chief Clerk in the Office of the Colonial Secretary.
He has shewn great folly in thus obliging me to mention a circumstance, injurious to his moral character, which I was not disposed to Communicate.  Some time after my arrival here, a Man made a formal Complaint to me that Mr CRAWFORD had seduced his Wife, that she had abandoned her Children and was then living at his house in the Country.
I immediately requested Mr McLEAY, in whose office he was employed, to warn him, if he persisted in keeping the Woman from her family, that I should feel myself called on to mark my disapprobation of such proceeding.  I then understood she would be immediately removed.  But the Husband, formerly a Sergeant, soon after repeated his complaint, and stated, though Mr CRAWFORD  had sent his Wife into Sydney, he had taken a House for her, where she was soon after Confined.  As my remonstrance had failed, I could only inform the Man that the Law was open to him to prosecute Mr CRAWFORD.  But I believe he had not the means of doing so.  You will see from this that Mr CRAWFORD'S Continuance in Office was not very desirable.
               I remain &c,   Ra. DARLING.
Robert and Mary stayed together until her death.
Mary is buried in the St John's Cemetery at Parramatta.  Her tombstone reads Sacred to the memory MARY CAMPBELL who departed this life the 23 March 1832, aged 32.  (Tombstone is in poor condition)
In the 1828 NSW Census Lewis is shown as
CAMPBELL, Lewis  F45 (F means free) DICK (Ship) 1817
Superintendent to Mr TOMPSON, Goulburn Plains.
1 horse, 236 cattle, 800 sheep
Lewis is overseer for Mr TOMPSON on his Argyle property, known as "Binbingins"?, Goulburn Plains, County of Argyle. Lewis is Protestant.
Mary is shown as
CAMPBELL, Mary, 30 CF (came free) DICK 1817 P (Protestant)
Housekeeper to Robert CRAWFORD,  Prospect also their child Robert Jnr aged 18 months.
Sarah, 10 years.  Orphan at John MALONE, storekeeper, Parramatta.
Ann, who would have been about 10 when her parents separated, was too old to go into an orphanage but may have been working as a maid servant and missed being included in the census.  Young Sarah in the care of the shopkeeper may also have been earning her keep by helping around the shop.
Lewis evidently owned various blocks of land in his time, as follows:
6.9.1827       Land transfer Lewis to James BATES.  All that freehold estate lying and situate on the New Road to Richmond comprising one hundred and twenty acres more or less and described as following viz - the said land is separated from the Prospect common by the new road to Richmond and bounded by Hill and Parsley on the old road side and on the other side by unlocated piece of land and containing the before described number of acres more or less.  Together with such erection or erections etc. 120pnds sterling.
18.12.1830     Land transfer from Lewis to Francis HUME.  30 acres.  Lying and situate in the district of Appin bounded on the north by 10 chains 30 links of Jones Farm and a continued West line of three chains seventy links on the west by a south line of twenty five chains twenty links to a Rocky Gully on the south by that Gully on the east by Harris Farm bearing north known by the name of Butchers Farm.  35pnds sterling.
11 & 12.3.1833   Land transfer from Lewis to Hugh HUGHES. 60 roods lying and being in the county of Cumberland and in the town of Parramatta in Argyle St. 15pnds cash.
3.4.1841     Land transfer from Lewis to Joseph Samuel HANSON.  A certain paper writing being or purported to be a bargain and sale from Henry SHEPPEY bearing date the 8th day of Feb 1831 of 6 acres of land at Prospect and purchased by the said Lewis CAMPBELL.  Also a certain paper writing being or purporting to be a bargain and sale from the said Henry SHEPPEY bearing date the 11th day of May 1831 of 130 acres and purchased by the said Lewis CAMPBELL.  And also certain indentures of Lease and release bearing date the 10th and 12th days of May 1831 from Timothy POWER and Morgan POWER of 11 acres and 88 perches of land at Prospect adjoining Sheppeys Grant and being part of John VARDY'S 65 acres and purchased by the Sgt Lewis CAMPBELL.  300 pnds.
Lewis died, aged 71, on 7th April 1854 at Seven Hills, Sydney and was buried on 10th April 1854 at St Bartholomew's Anglican Church, Prospect.
     The Forward guard of the 48th Regiment arrived onboard the "Pilot", a convict transport at Port Jackson on the 28th July, 1817.
     The Regiment's Battalion Headquarters Division, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel ERSKINE, arrived onboard the Barque "Matilda" at Port Jackson on 3rd August, 1817.  On this voyage were 13 officers, 179 "other ranks" and 50 women and children.
     The remainder of the 48th under Brevert Major Thomas BELL, CB, sailed on H.M. ship "Lloyd's", carrying 200 of the garrison arrived on 30th August, 1817 and "Dick" under Major Gilbert CIMITIERE with the largest party arriving 3rd September, 1817.  The 48th's stay in N.S.W. had began during turbulent times in the colony.  The Governor had established a settlement that was progressing forward as a town of fortune.  But the unrest between the Government and the military had caused a great deal of friction within the settlement.  Regiments were replaced on a fairly regular basis as they had a tendency to do as they pleased.  The 73rd Regiment replaced the 102nd Regiment as the officer had deposed the then Governor Royal Navy Captain William BLIGH and seized control of the government of the colony in 1809.  Eventually calm was restored and government control returned.
     Sydney Town had began to develop roads and outer colonies. Hobart Town had been settled as had Newcastle, Richmond, Parramatta, Windsor. Norfolk Island, settled in 1788 was all but abandoned.
     The Governor of the time, MACQUARIE, had made many improvements which had bought him the admiration of the populace.  The course of action he was to take next was to bring him in direct conflict with the 46th Regiment, the regiment that replaced his own, the 73rd.  This was to flow on to the 48th.  He intended to restore society worthy emancipists, those who had completed their sentences and had established themselves as substantial members of the colonial community.
     This was opposed by the officers of the 46th Regiment, when he wanted to introduce selected emancipists into the mess of the 46th.  The tension between the government and the 46th grew.  In July 1817, MACQUARIE intended to lay charges against the officers of the 46th for insubordination.  MACQUARIE hoped that the arrival of the 48th Regiment under a far more tolerant man's command would ease this tension.
     MACQUARIE instigated the "Rule of Exclusion" to apply to any regiment that succeeded the 46th.  The 48th were barracked at the new George Street Barracks.  They were to share the barracks with the regiment that they were to replace, the 46th.  The command accepted with reservation the "Rule of Exclusion" and tension eased.  The 48th Regiment took command from the 46th on the 12th of August at Hyde park.
     The 48th was soon introduced to the formal duties of the colony with many of the officers and men confined to as they termed, mundane chores.  This was in some ways not being the case for a good percentage.  They were to assist in the exploration and settlement of a great number of territories.  The 48th's problems with the 46th Regiment were to follow them to many places and many times bought them into direct conflict (politically) with each other.
     When the Regiment's tour of duty in New South Wales ended in 1824, ten percent of the veteran other ranks and several officers settled in New South Wales.  Many regional centres and the surrounding towns were settled by members of the 48th Regiment.  Soldiers became farmers, trading their rifles for ploughs, their only enemies mother nature, not human nature.
The Early Days......
     It was from the top of Prospect Hill that Captain Watkin TENCH first saw the Blue Mountains in 1789.
     In 1791 Governor PHILLIP settled 12 families on small farms around the base of the Hill.  These and later settlers were part of the Parish of St John's Church at Parramatta.
    During the 1830's attempts were made to have an Anglican Church built at Prospect to serve the areas of Seven Hills and Prospect.
     In 1838 William LAWSON, resident at Veteran Hall,  Prospect, called for tenders to build the church.  Prominent and local people had subscribed 376 pounds 3 shillings (approx $750)
     The Sydney Morning Herald of Saturday April 17, 1841 reported that "On Wednesday last the Bishop of Australia laid the foundation of a Parochial Church at Prospect.
     The Rev H H BOBART was appointed and performed the first services.  The first baptism was of Margaret GOODIN on May 2, 1841, the first marriage was of Thomas MOREING to Sarah McDONALD on November 23, 1841 and the first burial was of Ann GOODIN, aged 15, on July 18, 1841.  
     Saint Bartholomew's Anglican Church, built in the Georgian style, was the first church at Prospect.   James ATKINSON of Mulgoa was selected as the builder at a cost of 1250 pounds.   James had built St Stephen's at Penrith.  The trustees at the time were William LAWSON,  ROBERT CRAWFORD and Nelson Simmons LAWSON(the younger son of William)  It is unique in that it was built in the Georgian style at a time when most church buildings were Gothic.  The church would have been substantially completed by August 1840 and served as a place of worship until Christmas Eve, 1967, when it was closed due to increasing vandalism.
     On Saturday November 4, 1989 a fire gutted the church, destroying the roof and many of the interior fittings, including the organ and furniture.
The Interior ......
     The church is a plain spacious building comprising a nave,  chancel and vestry.  The tower at the western end had a bell, which was rung from inside the porch.  The font, a large shallow bowl on a stone column and base, stood on a slightly raised platform at the back of the church on the left.  Six very large kerosene lamps were suspended from the ceiling and there were small wall lamps on the eastern end.  A number of marble memorial tablets were on the walls.  High box pews provided the seating on the north and south sides, with low backed pews with kneelers in the centre.  A hand pumped pipe organ stood at the right hand side.  The large windows were of clear glass bordered all around by coloured glass about 13 cm wide.
     During 1881 - 1889 renovations were made and the wooden ceiling was replaced by a metal one, in memory of ROBERT CRAWFORD.  Other memorial gifts included a reading desk, pulpit, new communion rail and handsome font cover.
Restoration .......
     In August 1972, the then Blacktown Municipal Council leased part of the St Bartholomew's Church property for 50 years from the Church of England.  A committee to manage the project was formed, the St Bartholomew's, Prospect Preservation Committee. The aim of this Committee was to "preserve, restore and use the historic property for the benefit of present and future Australians".  The Committee held working bees at the church on a regular basis, and raised funds by holding Carols by Candlelight events and Old Ironbark's Day, commemorating the birth of explorer William LAWSON.  Currently, "Back to Prospect" days are held on an annual basis.
     Blacktown Council began amassing grant funds to use in the restoration of the Church and work commenced in early 2000, with an historic building restorer, Stan HELLYER doing the work supervised by conservation architects Graham EDDS and Associates.  Funding came from various grants, including $500,000 from Federation Cultural and Heritage Projects programme.  Council acquired the property from the Anglican Church in late 2000.
Research Notes: Some information supplied by Hazel MAGANN, Karenn LAYNE ,Ron CAMPBELL, B & M CHAPMAN, Beverley DWYER.
Colonial Secretary's Correspondence
"When the Country Became the City Blacktown", 1996, Blacktown & District Historical Society, NSW Heritage Office Website.
1828 Census
Historical Records of Australia
NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages
Captain (Retd) E A GRAY
Family Members, Military records of the Regiment , Pay rolls, Pay Musters, Cemetery Records, Church Records & General Muster Records. Reference:
The information is intended for short Historical value only,
E- mail address
Refer to Home Page
Copyright B & M Chapman (QLD) Australia
Last revised: April 03, 2009.