" J "
- The Soldiers listed below a represent the
soldiers who were in Australia on Garrison Duty.
- Some may have settled, some may have not. When it
has been confirmed they settled in Australia they will
receive their own page. If it is confirmed the men
settled in Australia, they will not appear on this
page,they will appear on the surname page.
- If They are listed on this
page, then this is all we know of them .
Back To Surnames of the
28th Regiment Soldiers who stayed
JACKSON John ", ."
JEFFCOTE Thomas ", ." JENNINGS Samuel ",
." JENNINGS Thomas ", ." JOHNSTON James
", ." JOHNSTON William ", ."
JOHNSTONE William ", ." JONES David ",
JONES John ", ."
JONES Thomas ", ." JOYCE Michael ",
." JOYCE Patrick ", ." JOYCE Patrick
", ." JOYCE Patrick ", ." JUDGE James
", ." JUST Thomas ", ."
in Sydney on board the Westmoreland 17 July 1835
Private 695 JORDAN William Went
on to India
- Private 983 JENNINGS Thomas Went on to India.
Died of Cholera 5th Sept 1842
- Private 823 JOYCE Patrick Went on to India Died
of Cholera 12 Sept 1842
listed as deserting from the Regiment
These men have been
recorded as deserters from the Regiment in which they
served. There is more than a strong possibilty these men
eventually settled. We have included them as they
recieved a description etc,and it may be of help to their
descendants. Today ,we understand why these men deserted,
in some cases they were treated worse than the convicts
William Pte 697 28th 33yrs, 5'6 3/4", fresh
complexion, light brown hair, grey eyes; deserted
4 Apr 1840,Parramatta; enlisted 6 Dec 1827.Liverpool
; born Dumfries; labourer. Also deserted 24 Oct
- Family Members, Military records ,Pay rolls, Pay Musters,
Cemetery Records, Church Records & General Muster Records, Mitchell Library
- The information is intended for short Historical
- E- mail address
- © Copyright B & M Chapman (QLD) Australia
- Last revised: April 08, 2009.