Search billions of records on

Major William Harvie Christie (1807 / 08 .....1873)

Back to Surnames of the 80th Regiment's Soldiers who stayed
  • Born : 2 August 1807 / 08
  • Where Born : Ceylon
  • Education:       Rugby School, Woolwich Military  Academ
  • Occupation : Soldier
  • Date Arrived :13 November 1836
  • Ship Arrived on :Captain Cook
  • Port Arrived : Sydney N.S.W.
  • Rank on Discharge : Major
  • Date of Army Enlistment :
  • Where Enlisted Army : England  80th Regiment of Foot  ( South Staffordshire Regiment)
  • Regimental # : MO
  • Date Discharged Army : 1840
  • Comments Regarding Army Discharge : Sold his commission because of ill health
  • Where Discharged : N.S.W.
  • Died : 19 March 1873
  • Where Died / Buried : Craigstone Point Street Pyrmont Australia / Rookwood Cemetery N.S.W
  • Parents Names : Dr. Thomas Christie  (b.b 2 April 1774 Scotland.......d.11 October 1829 Cheltenham. ) and Mary Isabella Tolfrey (b.22 October 1787 Plymouth England d. 16 April 1827 Cheltenham) .
  • Spouse's Name : Ellen Harrison
  • Date Married :July 28th 1835
    Where Married :Collegiate church Manchester
    Spouse's Parents :James Harrison and Ellen Beaver
  • Born : c.1815
  • Where Born : Manchester
  • Occupation : Soldiers Wife
  • Date Arrived : 13 November 1836
  • Ship Arrived on : Captain Cook
  • Died : 11 October 1853
  • Where Died / Buried Alton Southampton England


  • Information supplied by Dawn
    Area Settled :
    Liverpool N.S.W
    Children :
    1 . Lt Colonel Williams Beaver Blayney Christie  (born on 8 Nov 1837 Liverpool N.S.W.  died on 2 Aug 1907 in Wavenby NSW)
    2 . Edward G. Christie (born ? 1 April 1841 Christened:  NSW  Sydney St Lawrence Church of England.
    3 . Unknown male stillborn Christie  (born on 18 Jun 1842  Sydney morning herald 20/6/42)
    4 . Mary  I Sampson Christie (Christened: 1839 - 9 Feb 1846?? in Liverpool  St Lukes Church of England.
    5 . Ellen T. Christie (born ? 1846 . Christened. NSW Willoughby  Church of England. ref:  V 1846 62 31A)   On retirement from the military due to ill health he began a civilian career in NSW
    History & Achievements :
         1840  Visiting justice of Carters Barracks
          1841 Police magistrate for police court Hyde Park Barracks
          Visiting magistrate of the new gaol at Wooloomooloo
          1842  Agent for the church and school estates (salary 150 pounds + 5%
          of collection - 250 pounds) JP office 2 Wentworth place Surrey hills
          1848  Secretary of the denominational School Board (150 pounds)
          1847 Sargent at Arms - Legislative council (100 pounds)
          1852 Legislative council nominee.
          1852 Postmaster-general (salary 1000 pounds)    General Notes: Australian Dictionary of Dates and men of the time 1842 - 1879 p.38
    Obituary.  Major W. H. Christie.       
    An old colonist who for many years occupied a leading position in our country and numbered a large circle of friends has just   passed away.    William Harvie Christie (more familiarly known to us all as Major Christie) after a long and painful illness lasting for about 18 mths died suddenly of heart disease at his residence Craigstone Point Street Pyrmont on Wed evening the 19th inst. He was born at Ceylon in 1808 educated at Rugby and at the Military College at Woolwich and as an advanced student he subsequently obtained a First class certificate in the senior department of the Military College of Sandhurst. He entered the army at a comparatively early age as an ensign in the 80th regiment of  foot to which he continued to be attached until he quitted the military profession. He was advanced to the rank of Lt on the 6th March 1827 and was made captain on the 24th of May 1833. Following the fortunes of the "Old Eightieth" Captain Christie first came out to these colonies - thirty-three years ago - and acted from 1838 to 1839 as Assistant Engineer and Superintendent of Stockades. He was first placed over the stockade at Liverpool. On the 9th of November 1838.         Ellen Harrison was born in 1815  (aged 20 when she married in 1835).  Ellen married Major William Harvie (Harvey) Christie on 28 Jul 1835 in Manchester Collegiate Church and was soon in   NSW which must have been very demanding for her at the age of 20 and soon to have her first child.

    CHRISTIE Samuel Tolfrey . ..... Williams brother

    Samuel Tolfrey Christie,                                                                                      
    Regimental History:                                            
    Christie S.T. 80th Reg
    Arrived per Bengal Merchant Dec 9th                               
    Australian Dec 13th 1836 p.2                                                                 The Australian Index  Dec 1836 - 1840 records  his arrival in Australia Census 1841  (NSW archives)
    Christie S.T.  Mounted Police
    Return No 87
    Resident Mounted Police quarters Town of Goulburn
    No of persons  47
    Location  x 946  p.141

    Samuel Tolfrey Christie  Service in Australia and New Zealand
    The regiment began movements from its depot at Chatham England during 1836 for Gravesend on the Thames where it was to form escorts for convict transports headed for New South Wales. The first convict guard embarked at Gravesend on the 23rd of May 1836 under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Narbourough Baker. In August of 1836 Lieutenant Christie in command of 29 men (to guard 269 convicts)
    embarked in the Bengal Merchant at Gravesend to sail for Australia arriving in Sydney Port Jackson in December 1836. The Regimental Colors embarked on the 6th of March 1837 arriving in Sydney Port Jackson on the 11th of November 1837. The rear guard embarked on the 18th of December 1838. Between 1837 and 1841 the regimental headquarters was located at Windsor NSW. By the 11th of July 1837 the 80th had begun to deploy detachments throughout the colony. The following deployments are listed in order of their deployment: Illawarra NSW, Berrima NSW, Hassan's Walls, Newcastle NSW, 17 Mile Hollow NSW, Wingill, Liverpool NSW, Port Phillip VIC, Bathurst NSW, Cors River NSW, Emu Plains NSW, Morton Bay QLD, Port Macquarrie NSW, Norfolk Island NSW, Harper's Hill on the Hunter NSW, Windsor NSW, Campbelltown NSW, Tourang (Towrang) NSW, Parramatta NSW, Portland Bay, Auckland New Zealand. Late in 1837 Colonel Kenneth Snodgrass then acting Governor of the colony ordered Major James Nun to lead a detachment of Mounted Military Police against the Kamilaroi tribe in the Liverpool Plains area of NSW. In the third week of January 1838 Major Nunn in the company of Ensign George Cobban, three sergeants and nineteen troopers escorting stockmen with packhorses down the Gwydir River came across a "great many blacks" a corporal by the name of Hannan attempted to arrest an aboriginal warrior. In response Corporal Hannan was speared in the calf, next followed a chain of events, which came to be known as The Slaughterhouse Creek massacre . Corporal Hannan was the only injury inflicted on the troopers, however accounts as to the numbers of Kamilaroi wounded or killed varied. Nunn and Cobban thought only four or five were killed, Sergeant Lee thought the figure was more like forty or fifty. This was the last purely Military action undertaken against the Aboriginal population by British troops.
    During 1839 Major Thomas Bunbury was forced to suppress a mutiny within his own men while Commandant of Norfolk Island. In 1841 a detachment under the command of Major Thomas Bunbury were sent to New Zealand. One of the accomplishments of the detachment was to build a stone barracks, which is still standing in Auckland.  The New Zealand detachment was not involved with the Maori Wars but was present at the declaration of British Sovereignty.
    The regimental headquarters moved from Windsor to Parramatta in 1841 where it remained until all detachments were consolidated again in Sydney in 1844. The 11th of June 1844 saw the 80th aboard ship once more, this time the regiment was to depart Australia for service in India. The bulk of the regiment landed in Calcutta India on the 16th of November 1844 where they camped at Fort William. Three Companies under the command of Major Bunbury did not arrive until March 1845 after the transports Briton and Runnymede were wrecked en route to India in the Andaman Islands, where they were stranded for 50 days. On the 8th of January the lead Companies of the 80th left from Calcutta for Agra, with the remainder following on the 12th of January 1844. The Companies that had been shipwrecked rejoined the regiment on the 5th of April 1845 after travelling by
    Steamboat from Calcutta. The 80th whole once more left Agra on the 20th of October 1845 to join the rest of the Army. The regiment was to see bitter fighting during the First Sikh War winning battle honour's' s at Moodkee and Ferozeshah.

    Family Members, Military records  ,Pay rolls, Pay Musters, Cemetery Records, Church Records & General Muster Records, Mitchell Library ,Sydney Australia
    The information is intended for short Historical value only,
    E- mail address
    Refer to Home Page
    Copyright B & M Chapman (QLD) Australia
    Last revised: Monday, 26 October 2009 05:34:51