Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 2nd Battalion  / 18th Foot Irish Regiment

1870 -1870

Back to Start Page

The Regiments

Known as (nickname)................................................... " Paddy's Blackguards"

Facings............................................................................ BLUE

Braided Lace.................................................................. Gold

Service in Australia ....................................................... The 2nd Battalion of the Regiment arrived from New Zealand in March of 1870 seeing service in Tasmania, Sydney, Victoria & South Australia. The Regiment began its return to England in August of 1870 with the last of the Regiment leaving on the 6th of September 1870

Commanding Officer.......................................................Lieut. Colonel G. A. Elliot.

This was the last British Foot Regiment to serve in Australia

Surnames of the 1/18th Regiment soldiers who remained

 

Ships the 18th sailed on

 

Weapons used by the 1/18th Regiment

Representation of the 18th Regiment Uniform

 

The regiment was formed in 1684 by the  Lord Granard from independent Companies in Ireland. In 1695, the regiment became known as the Royal Regiment of Ireland due to its performance at Namur  under the direction of William III King .. The regiment also won the right to display the King's arms on their colours along with the harp and crown. The regiment served throughout the turn of the 18th century in continental battles before being sent to Gibraltar   . In 1751, the regiment was officially ranked as the 18th Regiment of Foot - although it was older than all but six other line regiments, it had not been placed on the English establishment until 1689, lowering its ranking. to 18th. 

The18th regiment  based in Taranaki, and smaller companies of the regiment engaged in various skirmishes throughout the southern North Island. As war declined the primary purpose of the British soldiers was to provide protection for the colonists. Commencing in 1866 the New Zealand Government adopted a “self-reliant” policy to gradually increase the local forces and auxiliaries, and dispense with the Imperial troops. The regiment's second battalion, formed mainly from volunteers from the Irish Militia, began to arrive in New Zealand from 4 July 1863. It served in the Waikato and Taranaki Campaigns. Captain H. Shaw won the V.C. when a supply convoy he was part of the escort for was attacked by Maori in the Hunua Forest south of Auckland. The battalion was the last British Army unit to leave New Zealand in February 1870.

 

 

1684.....The Colonel the Lord Granard's Regiment of Foot.

1683.....known by the Commanding Colonel

1695.....The Royal Regiment of Ireland

1751.....18th (The Royal Irish) Regiment of Foot.

1881.....The Royal Irish Regiment

1922.....Disbanded

 

 

References
Family Members, Military records  ,Pay rolls, Pay Musters, Cemetery Records, Church Records & General Muster Records, Mitchell Library ,Sydney Australia
The information is intended for short Historical value only,
E- mail address
Refer to Home Page
© Copyright B & M Chapman (QLD) Australia
Last revised: Saturday, 15 May 2010 07:42:25