WYATT, Thomas, Sir [~1520-1554] -- English soldier
Son of Sir Thomas Wyatt ¤ [1503-42], the poet,
he commanded at Boulogue,
joined with the Duke of Suffolk in favor of Lady Jane Grey ¤
and against Queen Mary ¤ (1553-54),
and led the men of Kent against London (Feb 1554) in opposition to Mary's
proposed marriage to Phillip II ¤ of Spain, but was captured.
He and about a hundred others were executed.
Webster and Dekker wrote a play on the subject,
"The Famous History of Sir Thomas Wyatt", printed in 1607.
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by
- Analyses, critiques and interpretations
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects
- Wyatt's rebellion
Jan - Feb 1554
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Historical context, background