WITTELSBACH Family Outline Descent Tree(s) (ODT)
A German family that ruled in Bavaria from the 12° century to 1918, and in the Rhenish Palatinate for part of that time. Ct. Otto VI became Duke Otto I of Bavaria (1180). The family several times divided and reunited, but by 1559 some of the branches were extinct. The duchy became an electorate (1623) and Duke Maximilian was made elector. The following were elector":
- Maximilian I "the Great" [1573-1651] Elector 1598-1651
- Ferdinand Maria [1636-1679] Elector 1651-1679
- Maximilian II Emanuel [1662-1726] Elector 1679-1726
- Charles Albert [1697-1745] Elector 1726-1745
- Maximilian III Joseph [1727-1777] Elector 1745-1777
- Louis I [1786-1868] 1825-1848
- Maximilian II Joseph [1811-1864] 1848-1864
- Louis II [1845-?] 1864-1886 abdicated
- Otto [1848-1916] 1886-1913
- Louis III [1845-1921] 1912-1913 dethroned during revolution
- Louis IV of Bavaria [1282-1347] King 1314-1347, HRE 1328-1347
- Rupert of the Palatinate [1252-1410] King 1400-1410
- Charles VII of Bavaria [1697-1745] HRE 1742-1745
=ancestor, =cousin, =cousin-by-marriage, +=family
=Has bookmarks, Marks recent changes
(as of 2014-09-06), =::Cross reference
Elizabeth of Hervorden
[1618-1680] – Princess-Abbess of Reichsabtei Herford
Frederick V of Bohemia
[1596-1632] – King, Elector of Rhine Palatine in HRE
Louise Hollandine von der Pfalz
[1622-1709] – Abbess of Maubisson
She was Küsterin at Reichsabtei Herford 1652-1658 as Louise Hollandine von der Pfalz. The Princess-Abbess prevented her election to Koadjutorin, in 1658 she fled her mother, the "Winter-Queen of Bohemia's" exile-court in Haag, converted to Roman Catholicism and became Abbess of Maubuisson in France. Her elder sister was abbess in Herford nine years later.
SIMMERN, Maurice von
[1620-1654] – English soldier, Commander of the Royalist Army
Bookmarks (off-site links)
origins, early history
- Onomastics (=the study of the origin and formation of proper names)
- GERMANIA: Visigoths, Ostrogoths, Vandals, Vikings, Orkney, etc. background
- HISTORY OF THE HOUSE OF WITTELSBACH - ROYAL HOUSE OF BAVARIA AND PRINCELY HOUSE OF LÖWENSTEIN
- Germany, the Stem Duchies & Marches nice map
Candidates Work List
This is my working list of candidates to include --
I'm not yet sure if they are related to me!
As candidates are eliminated (proven not related) they are marked appropriately (
an explanation included.
They are kept in the list in case future research proves they can be included.
(And to keep them from popping up on the list again!)
Never discard good research!
Proven candidates' names are marked with an asterisk (*) until they can be
added to the database.
This article may name additional candidates: wittelsbach (surname)