SIDNEY Family Outline Descent Tree(s) (ODT)
Name formsSidney, Sydney
A remarkable and distinguished English family,
including Sir William [1482?-1554]
who commanded the English right at Flodden (1513),
attended Henry VIII at the Field of Cloth of Gold (1520),
and received the manor of Penshurst in Kent (1552).
=ancestor, =cousin, =cousin-by-marriage, +=family
=Has bookmarks, Marks recent changes
(as of 2014-09-06), =::Cross reference
|HERBERT, Mary (Sidney), Ctss Pembroke [1561-1621] – English patroness of the arts and scholarship and notable translator SIDN97 4C13|
|SIDNEY, Algernon [1622-1683] – English republican leader and martyr SIDN105 6C11|
|SIDNEY, Dorothy (Lady) [1617-1684] – Ctss Sunderland ::> Philanthropists ::> benefactress of distressed clergy and Royalists SIDN108 6C11|
|SIDNEY, Henry [1641-1704] – Earl Romney - English parliamentarian, ambassador, soldier ::> Statesmen & Diplomats ::> envoy to France (1672) SIDN106 6C11|
|SIDNEY, Philip [1619-1698] – Earl3 Leicester, Lord Lisle - English politician, administrator ::> English Nobility (excl. monarchs) ::> member of Short and Long parliaments SIDN103 6C11|
|SIDNEY, Philip, Sir [1554-1586] – English cavalier poet, soldier and courtier SIDN120 4C13|
|SIDNEY, Robert [1563-1626] – Viscount Lisle, Earl1 Leicester (5th cr, 1618) - English soldier, administrator ::> English Nobility (excl. monarchs) ::> entered parliament (1585) SIDN96 4C13|
[1595-1677] – English nobleman, statesman
2nd Earl of Leicester. He was the father of ¤Algernon Sidney.
|SIDNEY, Sir Henry [1529-1586] – English soldier, administrator ::> Other high government officials ::> administrator in Ireland: SIDN1 3C14|
|WROTH, Lady Mary (Sidney) [~1586-~1653] – English writer SIDN18 5C12|
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- History origins, early history
- Penshurst in Kent Homepage the village
- Welcome to Penshurst Place and Gardens
- Penshurst Place
- Penshurst Garden a photo gallery
- About Our School Marist College Penshurst, Sydney, Australia. A high school for boys. Penshurst is apparently a suburb of the Australian city of Sydney. I wonder if there is a connection to the Sidney family and their Penshurst. (I attended a local Marist College, here in Poughkeepsie, NY!)
- H-SC | Campus Map | Penshurst A building on the campus of Hampden-Sydney College, in southside Virginia, called Penshurst after the English ancestral home of Algernon Sidney. The college itself was originally called Hampden & Sidney, and is somehow connected in its founding to Algernon Sidney, but I've been unable to discover the the exact connection.
- Jonson. The Forest. II. To Penshurst. A poem by Ben Jonson
Candidates Work List
This is my working list of candidates to include --
I'm not yet sure if they are related to me!
As candidates are eliminated (proven not related) they are marked appropriately (
an explanation included.
They are kept in the list in case future research proves they can be included.
(And to keep them from popping up on the list again!)
Never discard good research!
Proven candidates' names are marked with an asterisk (*) until they can be
added to the database.
This article may name additional candidates: sidney (surname)