SHERMAN, John [1823-1900] -- American politician, lawyer, statesman, Secretary of State
Secretary of Treasury (1877-1881, Hayes)
Born May 10, 1823, in Lancaster, Ohio.
He was of Anglo-Saxon ancestry.
He received an academic education;
studied law, and was admitted to the bar May 11, 1844.
He was a delegate in the national whig conventions of 1848
and presided over the first republican convention in Ohio in 1855.
He was a representative in the thirty-fourth, thirty-fifth, thirty-sixth and thirty-seventh congresses,
and was the republican candidate for speaker in the winter of 1859-60.
He was elected to the United States senate in March, 1861,
and re-elected in 1866 and 1872.
He was appointed secretary of the treasury in March, 1877,
and served as such during President Hayes' administration;
was again elected to the United States senate in 1880,
and was re-elected in 1886 and 1892.
He was president of the senate from 1885 till 1887;
and resigned his seat in the senate to accept the position of secretary of state in President McKinley's cabinet.
|Presided over the first Republican convention in Ohio|
|Secretary of Treasury|
|Secretary of State|
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by John+Sherman
- Analyses, critiques and interpretations
- For sale
- BookFinder.com Books by or about John+Sherman
- On "The Crime of 1873" 1895 John Sherman oration
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects. Trivia.
- Chronologies, synopses, encyclopedias
- U.S. Treasury - Biography of Secretary John Sherman
- SHERMAN, John - Biographical Information
- John Sherman
- Ohio History Central - History - People - John Sherman
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Open Directory The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human- edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.
- Search engines A selection of search engines, for John+Sherman
- SHERMAN, John (1823-1900) Guide to Research Papers
- Discussion, interviews
- Collections, archives - Papers
- The Letters of John Sherman and the Origins of Antitrust
- Sherman - Letters of Two Brothers: Passages from the Correspondence of General and Senator Sherman First of a series of four articles, in The Century; a popular quarterly. / 45:5 (Mar 1893). Use search to find the others.
- Historical context, background
- Places (residences, etc)
- Paper Money, Taxes, and War