LOWELL, James Russell [1819-1891] -- American author, poet, diplomat
He was born in Cambridge, and was graduated from Harvard university in 1839,
where he succeeded Longfellow as professor of belles-lettres in 1855.
He was one of the founders of The Atlantic Monthly,
editing that periodical from the start in 1857 until 1862,
and co-editor of The North American Review during 1863-72.
In 1877 he was appointed minister to Spain, and in 1878 transferred to England,
where he remained as minister until 1885.
His poetical works are:
A Year's Life;
The Vision of Sir Launfal;
A Fable for Critics;
The Biglow Papers;
The Commemoration Ode;
The Biglow Papers, second series;
Under the Willows, and Other Poems;
Three Memorial Poems;
Heartsease and Rue;
and Last Poems.
In prose his writing comprises
Conversations with Some of the Old Poets;
Life of Keats;
The President's Policy;
Among My Books;
My Study Windows;
Among My Books, second series;
Democracy, and Other Addresses;
Latest Literary Essays and Addresses;
The Old English Dramatists;
and Letters, edited by C. E. Norton.
He died Aug. 12, 1891.
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by
- Analyses, critiques and interpretations With many examples, including one by Lowell
- James Russell Lowell. 1819-1891. John Bartlett, comp. 1919. Familiar Quotations, 10th ed.
- Creative Quotations from James Russell Lowell (1819-1891)
- TPCN - Great Quotations (Quotes) By James Russell Lowell To Inspire and Motivate You To Achieve Your Dreams!
- James Russell Lowell - Quotation Guide
- Quoteland :: Quotations by Author :: James Russell Lowell
- James Russell Lowell. 1819-1891.
- The Quote Aholic's Inspirational Quotes: James Russell Quotes
- Lowell Quotes at UselessKnowledge.com | Trivia, Quotes, Quizzes
- "THE CHANGELING"
- Abraham Lincoln, 1864-1865. James Russell Lowell. 1909-14. Essays: English and American. The Harvard Classics see also the introductory note (click on "previous")
- Modern History Sourcebook: James Russell Lowell (1819-1891): On Democracy, 1868
- Poets' Corner - James Russell Lowell - Selected Works
- James Russell Lowell selections from Heartsease and Rue
- James Russell Lowell Two hymns -- with peculiarly hyphenated introductory text
- Among My Books by James Russell Lowell
- Conversations on Some of the Old Poets by James Russell Lowell
Books by James Russell Lowell
Abraham Lincoln and
My Garden Acquaintance
- James Russell Lowell: On Democracy, 1868
- June (From "The Vision of Sir Launfal")
- Complete Writings of James Russell Lowell for sale
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects
- Encyclopedia.com - Results for Lowell, James Russell
- Carol and Monty's Ancestors With extensive notes on James Russell
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Lowell, James Russell -- Lowell, James Russell: in Cornell University's Making of America Journal articles by Lowell at Cornell's MOA site
- Lowell, James Russell -- Lowell, Percival: in Cornell University's Making of America More from Cornell's MOA site
- PAL:James Russell Lowell (1819-1891)
- Historical context, background