SANDS, Joshua [1757-1835] -- American soldier, lawyer, state senator, congressman
During the war of 1775 he was a member of the Brooklyn home guards;
in 1797 was appointed collector of customs for the port of New York;
and was at one time a magistrate in Kings county.
He also took an active part in the revolutionary war to its close.
He was a member of the New York senate from Kings county from 1792 to 1799;
and was a representative in congress from 1803 to 1804,
and again from 1825 to 1827.
He died Sept. 13, 1835, in Queens county, N. Y.
[Herringshaw's Encyclopedia of American Biography]
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by
- Works about
- SANDS, Joshua (1757-1835) Biographical Information From the US Congressional Biography site
- Memorials and tributes
- The Political Graveyard: Index to Politicians: Sanderson to Sanfemio
- Grave of Joshua Sands
- Peter Minuit Chapter News On October 28, 2000, Peter Minuit Chapter of the DAR dedicated a memorial at the grave of Captain Joshua Sands.
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Brother: ¤SANDS, Comfort [1748-1834] American merchant