POTTER, H(enry) C(odman) [1904-1977] -- American cinema director
A graduate of the Yale Drama School, he began his thirty year career in 1927 as founder and director of the Hampton Players, a summer stock company on Long Island that produced new plays. Several of these plays were later successfully directed by Potter on Broadway.
He was well known for his work on the Broadway stage, e.g. A Bell for Adano, Point of No Return, Ann of the Thousand Days, when he turned to Hollywood to work in the then-new medium of talking pictures.
He directed a number of films in Hollywood, beginning with Beloved Enemy (1936). His last film was the 1957 Top Secret Affair, a/k/a Their Secret Affair. In all, he directed 19 major motion pictures for the big studios, e.g. United Artists, Paramount, Walt Disney, Warner Bros., Samuel Goldwyn, Columbia, and RKO.
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by H.C.+Potter
- Analyses, critiques and interpretations
- For sale
- Stock Maven - Classic Films - Director: H.C. Potter
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects. Trivia.
- Chronologies, synopses, encyclopedias
- Wikipedia Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia that is being written collaboratively by the readers. The site is a WikiWiki, meaning that anyone, you included, can edit any article right now by clicking on the edit this page link that appears in every Wikipedia article except for a few protected pages.
- H.C. Potter - Biography - Yahoo! Movies
- TSPDT - H.C. Potter
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- HC Potter is famous!!!!
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Open Directory The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human- edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.
- Search engines A selection of search engines, for H.C.+Potter
- The New York Times: Movies:
- Discussion, interviews
- Collections, archives - Papers
- Historical context, background
- Internet Broadway Database: H. C. Potter Credits on Broadway
- The Internet Movie Database (IMDb). As a participant: actor, director, etc.
- Google Images Search
- Grandfather (GF): ¤POTTER, Henry Codman [1835-1908] American clergyman, Episcopal Bishop of New York
- GGF: ¤POTTER, Alonzo [1800-1865] American clergyman, Episcopal bishop of PA
- GGU: ¤POTTER, Horatio [1802-1887] American clergyman, Episcopal bishop of New York