LOVELACE, Francis, Governor [~1621-1675] -- English colonial administrator
He was the second governor of New York (1668-1673),
but a Dutch squadron briefly recaptured the colony in 1673.
Not known as an innovator, he did, however,
inaugurate the first postal route in New England, with the first run completed 22 Jan 1673.
The Old New York-Boston Post Road later became US Rt 1.
The town of Hurley, Ulster Co, NY, was named in honor of his ancestral home in England.
|2nd New York governor|
|Announces a monthly mail service between New York and Boston|
|First mail run started|
|First mail run completed|
|Dutch retake New York|
|New York again in English hands|
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Vivísimo - Clustered search on francis lovelace
- Google Search: francis lovelace
- Works & Deeds
- Neither Snow nor Rain - History of the United States Post Office The first Post Road in America: not a great success
- History of the United States Postal Service
- The New Yorke in America Token Believed to be associated with Gov. Lovelace, this coin was made and circulated in England as a test pattern for an American coinage that was never produced.
- The Blackwell Family in America Contains a short history of New York, including the taking from the Dutch in 1664 and subsequent re-taking by the Dutch in 1673, on Gov. Lovelace's watch. (search for "lovelace")
- The Empire Strikes Back - On the East End in 1674 Transcript of Lecture Delivered by Donald Shomette on September 12, 1998: The military and political contest for dominion of the East Riding Townships during the Third Anglo-Dutch War
- Long Island History / Short-Lived Dutch Revival
- THE CONVENTION OF 1665 Francis Lovelace [...] during his administration acquired the almost unanimous ill-will of the people.
- Genealogy, biography, etc.
- Earliest English Lovelace Family From Wendy Loveless Miller's site devoted to the Lovelace/-less family
- Francis Lovelace A nice bio, also on Wendy's site
- Francis Lovelace Immigrant Ancestor Page Francis was a descendant of several of the Magna Charta Sureties
- Governor Francis Lovelace
- Francis Lovelace Edited Appletons Encyclopedia, Copyright © 2001 Virtualology™