IVES, George Homer [1836-1863] -- American bandit and villain
Was a member of the infamous Plummer Gang
in the time following the 1863 discovery of gold in the Black Hills.
Bold and brutal, he came to a bad end with a murder, trial and hanging.
The controversy surrounding these events led to a two month spree of 22 hangings
by a vigilante mob and, ultimately,
to the formation of the Montana Territory in 1864 to restore order.
There have been recent attempts to rehabilitate Ives' reputation,
but these will surely come too late to be of any personal advantage to him.
They still hang him in effigy every year during "Vigilante Days" in Virginia City, MT.
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- George Ives
- Vigilante Days and Ways -- Body of Text Chapters 29-31 devoted to Ives, his trial, execution and the aftermath
- broadwater_story The story of an encounter with Ives
- Reading 3 A murder, Ives arrested, tried and hanged. The formation of the Montana Vigilance Committee. Image of the signed oath.
- George Ives Story
- Sheriff Henry Plummer and The Plummer Gang
- Hanging the Sheriff -- Table of Contents Biography of Henry Plummer
- Bannack Ghost Town - A MontanaCyberzine Article The ghost of Henry Plummer - the baddest of all the Montana bad men - walks the dusty streets of this well-preserved ghost town
- Vigilante Days and Ways -- Body of Text Chapters 1 and 35 deal with Henry Plummer and his execution
- Montana vigilante movement
- Montana Vigilantes Web Site his site is dedicated to finding and disseminating the truth about the Montana Gold Camp Vigilantes
- web\glsite\!publish\3-7-77 A Masonry connection?
- Pacific Book Auction Galleries Sale 125 Item #19 of this auction is of interest: J.X. BEIDLER DESCRIBES HIS VIGILANTE ACTIVITIES
- Montana Territory
- Montana Territory (1952) The movie. Guess who played George Ives? (click the actor's name to see his filmography)
- MontanaNative.com: Montana Guide: History
- The Political Graveyard: Montana: Territorial Delegates
- New State of Montana, Nov. 8, 1889 Territorial status ends with statehood some 25 years after Ives' execution
- Montana Encarta® Concise Encyclopedia Article. Quite extensive
- Events in THE WEST -- 1860-1870 A timeline perspective
- Current events
- Re: Great Story! George H. Ives & Ancestry Recent Montana press conferences + G.H. Ives' pedigree