HUNT, Richard Morris [1827-1895] -- American architect
He was a member of a wealthy colonial family, and moved to France, where he studied architecture, painting and sculpture at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. After travelling widely throughout Europe, he returned to New York in 1855 armed with considerable knowledge of French Renaissance Revival.
Widely credited as the one of the fathers of American architecture, he started the first studio in America for formal training of architects, and was a founder of the American Institute of Architects, of which he became president in 1855.
He was much in demand by American's new moneyed barons for the designing of their many sumptuous homes and "cottages".
His brother, William Morris Hunt, ¤ was a well-known painter.
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by Richard+Morris+Hunt
- Analyses, critiques and interpretations
- For sale
- 19th Century Architecture: Richard Morris Hunt
- Skyscrapers: 19th Century
- Richard Morris Hunt - Great Buildings Online
- Vanderbilt Marble House - Richard Morris Hunt
- Astors' Beechwood - Richard Morris Hunt
- Biltmore Estate by Richard Morris Hunt
- Virginia Hall, Hampton Institute by Richard Morris Hunt
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects. Trivia.
- Chronologies, synopses, encyclopedias
- Wikipedia Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia that is being written collaboratively by the readers. The site is a WikiWiki, meaning that anyone, you included, can edit any article right now by clicking on the edit this page link that appears in every Wikipedia article except for a few protected pages.
- Howland Cultural Center - Richard Morris Hunt
- Hunt, Richard Morris
- Hunt, Richard Morris (1827 - 1895) -- Philadelphia Architects and Buildings
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Open Directory The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human- edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.
- Search engines A selection of search engines, for Richard+Morris+Hunt
- Newport Notables
- Hunt, Richard Morris (1827 - 1895) -- references -- Philadelphia Architects and Buildings
- Discussion, interviews
- Collections, archives - Papers
- Historical context, background
- Brother: ¤HUNT, William Morris [1824-1879] American Barbizon school artist