GELLHORN, Martha Ellis [1908-1998] -- American journalist & writer, Ernest Hemingway's third wife
She was one of the first women to work as a war correspondent, from the Spanish Civil War, through the whole of World War II, to the 1989 US invasion of Panama -- at age 81!
Her five year marriage to Ernest Hemingway
ended when she left him --
the only of his four wives to do so.
She resented being known chiefly as Ernest Hemingway's third wife
- perhaps her biggest hold on fame -
and once asked,
"Why should I be a footnote to somebody else's life?"
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by Martha+Gellhorn
- Analyses, critiques and interpretations
- For sale
- BookFinder.com Books by or about Martha+Gellhorn
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects. Trivia.
- Chronologies, synopses, encyclopedias
- Wikipedia Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia that is being written collaboratively by the readers. The site is a WikiWiki, meaning that anyone, you included, can edit any article right now by clicking on the edit this page link that appears in every Wikipedia article except for a few protected pages.
- The Papa Page: Biography Page 4 (archive)
- Martha Gellhorn
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Open Directory The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human- edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.
- Search engines A selection of search engines, for Martha+Gellhorn
- Discussion, interviews
- Collections, archives - Papers
- Historical context, background
- Places (residences, etc)
- Life and Works of Ernest Hemingway - Wives
- Husband: ¤HEMINGWAY, Ernest (Miller) [1899-1961] American author