FONDA, Jane (Seymour) [*1937-?] -- American film actress
Daughter of Henry Fonda ¤ and sister of Peter Fonda. ¤
First cast in pert and sexy roles,
she later distinguished herself in dramatic parts,
often as a tough and disillusioned woman.
Regarded as one of the best actresses of her generation,
she has occasionally left acting to pursue a radical, later liberal, political agenda.
In 1971, she made a controversial trip to North Vietnam during the Vietnam War.
In the 1980s she began promoting physical fitness through a series of popular videotapes.
Previously wed to Roger Vadim, Tom Hayden and Ted Turner.
Regarding her misguided Hanoi adventure,
this is a classic case of a bit of fame going to a person's head
and deluding them into thinking that they are endowed with a
deep wisdom that the whole world is keen to hear.
Her qualifications as an actress obviously provided
little in the way of political acumen -- or common sense.
Not content with just voicing her opinion,
she travelled to North Vietnam in the middle of the war and
posed for some photos,
including some showing her manning anti-aircraft guns used to shoot down American aircraft.
Posing for those photos was nothing short of treason.
| Cat Ballou |
| Barefoot in the Park |
| Barbarella |
| They Shoot Horses Don't They? |
| Klute (Academy Award) |
| The infamous Hanoi adventure |
| Coming Home (Academy Award) |
| The China Syndrome |
| Agnes of God |
| Interviewed by Barbara Walters on 20/20, Fonda apologizes to Vietnam War veterans, the "apology" is not well received and frequently judged to be insincere. |
Bookmarks (off-site links)
Vivísimo - Clustered search on jane fonda
- Works by
- Analyses, critiques and interpretations
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects
- Chronologies, synopses
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Collections, archives - Papers
- Historical context, background
- Father: ¤FONDA, Henry (Jaynes) [1905-1982] American actor
- Brother: ¤FONDA, Peter (Seymour) [*1939-?] American actor
- Niece: ¤FONDA, Bridget [*1964-?] American actress
- Spouse #1: ¤VADIM, Roger [1928-2000] French cine writer, director, producer, actor
- Daughter: ¤VADIM, Vanessa [*1968-?] French cine director, cinematographer, producer, editor
- Spouse #2: ¤HAYDEN, Tom [*1939-?] American radical, actor, legislator
- Son: ¤GARITY, Troy [*1973-?] American actor
- Spouse #3: ¤TURNER, Ted [*1938-?] American media mogul, philanthropist
- 11C2: ¤DAVIS, Roderic A., 2nd [?-?] Just for reference