deMILLE, Cecil B(lount) [1881-1959] -- American cinema producer and director, Academy Award
Academy Award (1952 Greatest Show On Earth)
Cannes Golden Palm (1939 )
Golden Globe (1953 Greatest Show On Earth Director)
Spelling and pronounciation guide
It is known that deMille himself preferred the spelling of his name
with a lower-case initial "d" -- he signed checks that way.
In 1913, together with Samuel Goldwyn,
he made the first feature-length film in Hollywood,
The Squaw Man -- which he eventually remade twice more.
In 1915 he came into prominence with his first "spectacle" film, Carmen.
His films were marked by their epic style and their theatricality,
by their mass crowd scenes, and often by their biblical themes.
In 1952 he won an Academy Award for The Greatest Show on Earth.
His biggest and most popular production,
The Ten Commandments (1956),
was a re-make of his 1923 film.
To promote his film The Ten Commandments,
he had stone plaques of the commandments posted at government buildings across the country.
Many of them are still standing to this day,
and some are now the subjects of First Amendment lawsuits. IMDB
Only eldest daughter 'Cecilia deMille' was the deMille's natural child, daughter Katherine deMille and sons John and Richard being adopted later.
| First feature-length film in Hollywood (The Squaw Man) |
| First remake of The Squaw Man |
| Second remake of The Squaw Man |
| Cannes Golden Palm |
| Academy Award |
| Golden Globe |
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by
- Works about
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Collections, archives - Papers
- Historical context, background
The Brown Derby
De Mille's idea
and the making of "Carmen" -- without violating the copyright! (archive)
- Father: ¤DeMILLE, Henry Churchill [1853-1893] American playwright
- Mother: ¤De MILLE, Beatrice [1853-1923] American cinema writer & director
- Wife: ¤ADAMS, Constance [1874-1960] American actress
- Daughter: ¤de MILLE, Cecilia [1908-1984] American actress
- Daughter: ¤DeMILLE, Katherine [1911-1995] American actress
- Son-in-law: ¤QUINN, Antonio "Anthony" (RudolfoOaxaca) [1915-2001] Mexican-American cinema actor, producer, director
- Granddaughter: ¤QUINN, Valentina [*1952-?] American actress
- Brother: ¤de MILLE, William Churchill [1878-1955] American playwright
- Niece: ¤de MILLE, Agnes George [~1905-1993] American dancer and choreographer
- Niece: ¤GEORGE, Peggy (néeMargaretdeMille) [1908-1978] American actress
- Niece's husband: ¤FINEMAN, B(ernard) P. [1895-1971] American cinema producer & writer