BURR, Theodosia [1783-1813] -- Aaron Burr's daughter
Daughter of U.S. Vice President Aaron Burr. ¤, she is remembered for her devoted support of her father.
Hers is a tragic story:
Following her 1801 marriage to Joseph Alston, ¤
scion of a prominent South Carolina family,
Theodosia became chronically ill.
She lost her 10-year-old son to malaria
and was traveling to New York to visit her father
when her ship was lost at sea.
It is said that her ghost still walks their plantation.
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Theodosia Burr Biographical material from James Parton's "Famous Americans of Recent Times"; Boston, 1871
- Nancy Rhyne - Ghost tales Reprinted from "Coastal Ghosts" by Nancy Rhyne,
- Specific life events
- Honeymoon, weddings, modern customs,history, services, settings. Welcome to Niagara Falls, New York! The Niagara Falls Convention & Visitors Bureau The newlyweds decide to honeymoon at Niagra Falls -- then on the frontier -- starting a custom that persists to this day.
- The Fate of Theodosia Burr: The Outer Banks, NC ~ Packet by Eric Hause: Articles about the Outer Banks NC and the Mainland Her end
- Brookgreeen The beautiful plantation where Aston brought his new bride
- Parent: ¤BURR, Aaron, Col. [1756-1836] American lawyer and politician, VPOTUS
- Spouse: ¤ALSTON, Joseph [~1779-1816] American politician and rice-planter