BURROUGHS, John [1837-1921] -- American poet and naturalist
a/k/aHermit of Slabsides
In his day he was considered one of America's finest writers,
and his nature essays in the Atlantic Monthly (from 1865) were very popular.
He spent much of his time in a rustic cabin of his own construction, "Slabsides", 1895,
in Esopus, NY,
less that 20 miles west of where I presently sit writing this page.
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by John+Burroughs+poet
- Analyses, critiques and interpretations
- For sale
- Browse By Author: B - Project Gutenberg
- John Burroughs: Poems
- Thoreau by John Burroughs
- Search in The Atlantic Monthly for: "john burroughs" 69 hits among the pages of Atlantic Monthly archived at Cornell University.
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects. Trivia.
- Chronologies, synopses, encyclopedias
- JOHN BURROUGHS: SOME BIOGRAPHICAL FACTS
- Walt Whitman Archive--John Burroughs Biography
- John Burroughs (1837 – 1921) American Naturalist and Writer | Environmental Encyclopedia
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Poet: John Burroughs - All poems of John Burroughs
- John Burroughs The John Burroughs Association site.
- John Burroughs - Hope Farm Press
- Ecology Hall of Fame: John Burroughs
- Afterword: John Burroughs: An American Naturalist by Edward J. Renehan Jr.
- Find A Grave: John Burroughs (1837 - 1921)
- John Burroughs Association, Inc. Home
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Open Directory - Search Results The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human- edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.
- Search engines A selection of search engines, for John+Burroughs+poet
- JBA Research
- Hudson River Valley Institute - Collections by John Burroughs Also "of"and "about".
- Indexes to John Burroughs'Collected Works [archive]
- Discussion, interviews
- Catskill Archive - John Burroughs
- An Open Letter to John Burroughs Concerning the Brevity of Fame
- Collections, archives - Papers
- Historical context, background
- Places (residences, etc)
- THE HALF MORE SATISFYING THAN THE WHOLE by Edward J. Renehan Jr. John Burroughs and the Hudson. Also detail re Riverby.
- Riverby His property on the Hudson at West Park (Esopus)
- Slabsides His house at Riverby, named for its exterior construction
- Woodchuck Lodge
A place he built at the family homestead in the CatsKills at Roxbury. He used it as a summer retreat.
- Roxbury, NY: Woodchuck Lodge and Burrough's Memorial Field
- Camping in the "Woods": Woodchuck Lodge, Woodstock, Woodland Valley
- Boyhood Rock A favorite place, on the Burroughs property at Roxbury.
- Places (residences, etc)
|†||Pepaction was a small hamlet in the Catskills. It and several other small towns were sacrificed in 1955 for the making of the Pepacton Reservoir. The reservoir supplies water for distant New York City via an underground aquaduct.|