BARNUM, Phineas Taylor [1810-1891] -- Self-proclaimed "Prince of Humbugs"
He would be the patron saint of hucksters, had they one.
Orphaned at an early age, he was left penniless,
without even shoes in which to attend his father's funeral.
He nevertheless made a success of life, becoming at various times
a politician, entrepreneur, writer, showman and general advertising and promotional genius.
He never said "There's a sucker born every minute",
but he did say "Every crowd has a silver lining".
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- His Life
- A Sucker for Autographs - Autograph Collector, September 1998 [archive]
- Barnum, Phineas Taylor
- E Pluribus Barnum: The Great Showman and the Making of U.S. Popular Culture
- PHINEAS TAYLOR (P.T.) BARNUM from the Let's Talk Business Network [archive]
- P.T. Barnum
- These are the good old days. [archive]
- PT Barnum, 1884
- The wives of PT Barnum [archive]
- Anna Swan:Chronicles:P.T.Barnum [archive]
- YOUR DICTIONARY - Phineas Taylor Barnum
- Life of Hon. Phineas T. Barnum Joel Benton's 1891 biography
- His Works & Attractions
- Barnum & Bailey Circus
- Barnum's American Museum
- Barnum's American Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- The Lost Museum - Home
- Museum Essay
- Barnum's American Museum a computer rendered graphic of the second floor landing of Barnum's Museum, based on strict measurements taken from floor plans, tourist's descriptions of the museum and its contents, and published guidebooks.
- capture_20111018_095616.jpg A newspaper advertisement from 8 Nov 1860 for Barnum's American Museum
- Cardiff Giant a hoax
- FeeJee Mermaid another hoax
- HETH, Joice [~1756?-1836]
Barnum claimed Ms. Heth was 161 years old, and had been George Washington's nurse. A year after her death, Barnum had her body publicly dissected before an audience of 1,500 at the City Saloon. He collected 50¢ a head.
- Joice Heth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- No Author. The Life of Joice Heth, the Nurse of Gen. George Washington, (the Father of Our Country,) Now Living at the Astonishing Age of 161 Years, and Weighs Only 46 Pounds. an original promotional brochure?
- Joice Heth
- ANA Money Talks
- P.T. Barnum and Ragtime [archive]
- Joice Heth Archive
- Joice Heth
- Joice Heth
- Who Made P.T. Barnum Famous? Black History Facts (Africana.com) [archive]
A truly mammoth elephant
- Jumbo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Jumbo - The Elephant
- Jumbo, P.T. Barnum's Prize Elephant
- Jumbo the Elephant: Statue and Ashes, Medford, Massachusetts
- Jumbo the Elephant [archive]
- Tufts Digital Library - View Text Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
- Tufts Journal: Tufts at 150: Elephant tales Barnum donated Jumbo's stuffed hide to Tufts College in 1889, when the pachyderm became the Tufts mascot.
- St. Thomas: Jumbo the Elephant Monument This is where Jumbo the elephant was hit and killed by a train
- History Buff - The Elephant Comes to America other early elephants in America
- LIND, Jenny [1820-1887]
The Swedish Nightingale
- Jenny Lind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- CAROLINE C. BARNUM JOURNAL, 1851
- Jenny Lind (1820-1887
- Scientific American: Commentary: Folies de Grandeur: July 1996 James Burke's Connections column at SA [archive]
- The P.T. Barnum of the Barnum and Bailey Circus - Jenny Lind Includes a transcript of the contract between Barnum, Lind, Benedict, et al
- Jenny Lind [archive]
- Singer Jenny Lind & Clippership Nightingale nice engravings
- Who Was Jenny Lind?
- Jenny Lind A California town named for the singer
- Jenny Lind A locomotive named "Jenny Lind"
- Siamese Twins BUNKER, Chang & Eng [1811-1874]
- Swan, Anna [1846-1888]
Billed as the tallest woman in the world
- Anna Haining Bates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Anna Swan: Nova Scotia's Remarkable Giantess A detailed biography, with lots of interesting pictures and general information about life with Barnum's circus.
- Anna Swan Index Frame Page
- Tom Thumb
The famous dwarf
- General Tom Thumb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Relations of Note: T... This is my page. Stratton was also a cousin of mine!
- General & Misc.
- Barnum Freaks [archive]
- The P.T. Barnum of the Barnum and Bailey Circus - Beginning As a Showman from "The P.T. Barnum of the Barnum and Bailey Circus" by Joel Benton
- COSMIC BASEBALL ASSOCIATION- 1999 B'Stormers Roster
- The humbugs of the world.: An account of humbugs, delusions,impositions, quackeries, deceits and deceivers generally, in all ages./ By P. T. Barnum. The humbugs of the world. An account of humbugs, delusions,impositions, quackeries, deceits and deceivers generally, in all ages. By P. T. Barnum.
- P. T. Barnum How he changed the English language forever
- Skeptic's Dictionary: subjective validation, the Forer effect, the Barnum effect
- Anecdotage.com - Famous People. Funny Stories. Anecdotes From Yeats to Gates Several Barnum anecdotes
- Current Events & more links
- Meet P.T. Barnum, the Shakespeare of Advertising
- The Barnum Museum
- Tufts University
- Bibliography & links farms
- 5HC2: ¤THUMB, Tom [1838-1883] American showman, "General"
- 2C4: ¤DAVIS, Roderic A., 2nd [?-?] Just for reference