Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

CARSINGTON, a township, parish, and small village, pleasantly situated on the Wirksworth and Ashbourn road, 2½ miles W. from the former, and 6½ miles N.E. from the latter, contains 1,116 acres of strong land, principally occupied in dairy farms, and in 1851 had 50 houses, and 235 inhabitants, of whom 124 were males, and 111 females; rateable value £1,337 6s. 2d. The village is situate in a valley, one side of which is sheltered by a bold ridge of limestone rocks, whose grey crags jut over the tops of the houses. The trustees of the late Philip Gell, Esq., and Wm. Pole Thornhill, Esq., M.P., are the principal owners. The Church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a small square castellated edifice, with a turret and one bell, but scarcely distinguishable from the cliffs that overhang it. It was rebuilt in 1648, and thoroughly repaired in 1855, at a cost of £300, at which time a new vestry was added, and two windows placed on the north side of the chancel, and apparatus for warming the church put up; it contains an ancient font, and in the church yard is a venerable Yew tree. The living is a discharged rectory rated at £5 1s. 10d., in the parliamentary returns at £120, gross income £176. The Bishop of Lichfield is patron, and Rev. Henry Barrows Chinn, incumbent, for whom the Rev. F. H. Brett, officiates. Here


416                                                                          WIRKSWORTH HUNDRED.

 

are 45A. 1R. 14P. of glebe, occupied by Mr. John Bowler, farmer, and the tithe was com­muted in 1838, for £109. Here is a Free school, for 20 poor children, endowed by Temperance Gell, in 1772. John Oldfield, an eminent puritan divine, was ejected from this benetice, in 1662, his son Dr. Joshua Oldfield, a learned presbyterian divine, was born here in 1656; he published some valuable treatises on the improvement of human reason and on the Trinity.

CHARITIES.—Mrs. Temperance Gell, in 1772, gave £220 to be invested in land, and directed her executors to build a school room at Carsington, for the instruction of 20 of the poorer sort of children at Hopton and Carsington, and if there should be a failure of a sufficient number of children in the said towns, the number to be made up out of the town of Mitldleton by Wirksworth. The legacy given by Mrs. Gell, and a further sum of £50, which is stated in the Parliamentary Returns of 1786, to have been given by the will of Samuel Bendall, in 1727, for the support of this school, were laid out in the purchase of a farm in the parish of Ockbrook, which let for £80 per annum. No separate account has hitherto been kept of the receipts and disbursements of the charity. The schoolmistress’s salary and allowance, the bills for the children’s clothing, and the payments for repairing the school-house and the building on the farm, constitute the whole of the expenditure on account of this charity, and they are insufficient to exhaust its present increased annual income. It is highly proper, therefore, that a separate account should be kept of the receipts and disbursements; and we apprehend that the surplus income ought to be applied in extending the benefits of the charity to a larger number of children.

Two beast gates were left by an unknown donor for the benefit of the poor. Two poor widows, usually appointed from time to time, have had the benefit of them.

The sum of £5 10s., from the bequest of the Rev. Francis Gisborne, is expended in warm clothing, and given to the poor.—(See Bradley.)

 

Bacon Matthew, parish clerk and miner

Dronfieldd Francis, gamekeeper

Fearn Wm., stonemason

Ford Emma, schoolmistress

Hardy George, vict., Miner’s Arms

Oldknow Samuel, vict., Greyhound, Nock­-

  a-Down

Stafford Jacob, shopkeeper & miner

Steeples Stephen & James, lime burners

 

 

Farmers.

 

Beswick William

Bowler John

Elliott Robt. & Wm.,

  Shiningford

Greatorex Francis

Hardy George

Heathcote John, Ken-

  nel, Meadow Farm

Lamb Chas,, (cowkp.)

 

Oldfield John, Owslow  

Slater Francis

Steveson Sml., cowk.

Wigley John, Breach

Wilkinson Robert

 

Shoemakers.

 

Banks John

Milward Robert

Wilkinson Robert

 

 

GRIFFE GRANGE, otherwise Bret-Griffe, an extra parochial liberty which adjoins Hopton, 3 miles N.N.W. from Wirksworth, contains 676A. 3R. 13P. of land; rateable value £359, and in 1851 had 5 houses, and 18 inhabitants, of whom 10 were males, and 8 females. Having belonged to the abbot and convent of Dale, it was granted, in 1546, to Ralph Gell, Esq., ancestor of the late Philip Gell, Esq., of Hopton, whose representatives are the owners. It is situated on a lofty mountain, on the western side of which the road from Wirksworth to Bakewell runs along a delightful romantic vale, designated the Valley of the Lillies. The eastern side is enclosed by the high lands of Ible. A small stream over­hung with copse and underwood, runs through, forming a most romantic and sylvan walk. The lead mines here, were during the last century worked to great advantage, particularly the Golconda and Chariot mines. The Inn, known as the Lilies of the Valley, in Ible township, stands at the north end of this dale. Griffe-Grange contains only two farms, which have not been joined with any poor law union; it is separated from Hopton on the S.E., by an ancient ditch, called Dooglow Dyke. The farmers are Aaron Fearn and John Rains. The former gentleman is considered as having the greatest native talent of any


HARTINGTON PARISH.                                                    417

 

man in the county, particularly in the construction of farming implements and machinery of every description. A natural cave 210 feet in length, was discovered in 1824, by Mr. Fearn, on the N.W. side of the Grange.

 

HARTINGTON, an extensive parish, which comprises the four townships of Town Quarter, Middle Quarter—with Earl Sterndale chapelry—Nether Quarter, and Upper Quarter. It extends in length about 16 miles from its south-east extremity to its north­west, being in some parts 5 miles in width at its south-east boundary, but on the north-west often not more than 1½ miles. It is bounded on the east by the parish of Bakewell, and at its north-east extremily by the river Goyt, after which by the river Dove, which rises from Axe Edge, about 3½ miles S.S.W. from Buxton, and separates it from Staffordshire. It is returned as containing 24,160 acres of land, but the rateable acres appear to be 2l,254A. 0R. 10P., and in 1851 had 448 houses and 2,089 inhabitants, of whom 1,079 were males and 1,010 females; rateable value £11,940 8s. 9d. A large portion being barren heath, having a continuous mountain range, which, in the Middle and Upper Quarters assumes various romantic shapes. It contains little timber and no edge-rows, having stone walls for partitions, which gives it a dreary and sterile appearance. The farms are widely scat­tered, and often large—the land principally is grass on limestone, occupied for the dairy, and by young stock, the few oats that are grown often remaining abroad till December. By an order of Quarter Sessions of 28th June, 1831, the Middle and Upper Quarters are included in the Bakewell division, and, by the Reform Bill, in the north division of the county. Even some of the farmers in the Town and Nether Quarters have their lands so arranged as to have votes for both north and south divisions. The Cromford and High Peak railway passes through the whole length of the parish.

HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, a small well built market town, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Dove, 10 miles N.N.W. from Ashbourn, and 9¼ S.W. from Bakewell, contains 3,515 acres of land, and in 1851 had 103 houses and 453 inhabitants, of whom 219 were males and 234 females; rateable value £2,393 3s. 6d. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor, and principal owner; but A. B. Hope, Esq., John Sleigh, Esq., and Messrs. Joseph and Thos. Fogg are also considerable owners. The Church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient cruciform structure, in the early style of architecture, having large transepts, a pinnacled tower, three bells, and a clock. It is situated on a gentle eminence N.E. of the town. A new vicarage house is in course of erection, a little N.E. of the Church, at the estimated cost of £800. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £10, now £149, has been augmented with £400 parliamentary grant, and is in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Hartington, who holds a court for proving wills for the manor and parish of Hartington. The Duke of Devonshire is patron of the living; the Rev. Augustus Wirgman, M.A., is incumbent, and surrogate of the Dean’s court. The commons were enclosed in 1798. The late Earl of Beauchamp, then Wm. Lygon, Esq., had an allotment of land for the great tithes, being impropriator, which allotment he afterwards sold to Sir Hugh Bateman, Bart. In right of the rectorial estate, Sir Hugh’s trustees are patrons of the deanery of Hartington. The Church had belonged to the Minoresses of London, to which it was probably given by one of the Earls of Lancaster. The Methodists have a chapel, erected of stone in 1809. The manor of Hartington belonged to the noble family of Ferrers. On the attainder of Robert Ferrers, Earl of Derby, it was granted to Edmund, Earl of Lancaster, who had a capital mansion or castle at Hartington in the reign of Edward I. The manor continued to be annexed to the Earldom and Duchy of Lancaster till the year 1603, when it was granted by King James to Sir Geo. Hume chancellor of the exchequer. Having reverted to the crown, it was granted by the same monarch, in 1617, to Sir George Villiers. In the year 1663 it was purchased of the Duke of Buckingham, by William Cavendish, Earl of Devonshire. The Duke of Devonshire is by far the greatest proprietor in this extensive parish, and, among other estates, is possessed of Biggin Grange, and Heathcote, which had been given to the monks of Gerondon by the Ferrers


418                                                                          WIRKSWORTH HUNDRED.

 

family. Biggin Grange was for many centuries the residence of the Dakyn or Dakeyne family, where they were seated almost as early as the time of Richard II. They also possessed property at Hatton and other places. John Dakin of Biggin married Alicia, daughter of John de la Pole, Esq., son of Sir John de la Pole. He was the ancestor of the Dakeynes of Snitterton and Stubbing Edge, also of Linton and Hackness, in the east riding of Yorkshire, of whom General Dakins of Hackness represented Scarborough in Parliament in the time of Edward VI. The first of the family who settled in this county was Hum­phrey Daking or De Aking, who, with his brother, Sir Thos. Daking, Knt., of Northwold, in Noffolk, held considerable possessions in the Peak and other places in this county. The Duke also owns the manor or grange of Pilsbury and Crookstone Grange, which had been given by the same family to the abbey of Mervale, in Warwickshire, and had been granted to George Earl of Shrewsbury; the manor of Foxlow, which had belonged to the Lovell family; and Cotes Grange which had been granted by Henry VIII. to George Cotton. When William Earl of Devonshire was created a Duke, he took his second title of Marquis of Hartington from this place. A market was granted to William Ferrers, Earl of Derby, about the year 1203, and a fair for three days at the festival of St. Giles. The market is held on Wednesday, for butter and eggs. Fairs are held on the 12th of February, 2nd of April, and the Wednesday before the last Thursday in April for cattle and pedlery. If either of the two first falls on Sunday, the fair is held on the Monday. Hartington Hall an ancient edifice on a bold elevation overlooking the town, late the property of the executers of the late Sir Hugh Bateman, Bart., in whose family it had been since the early part of the sixteenth century, is now the property of the Duke of Devonshire, and the residence of Mr. John Redfern. There is a hiring statutes held the Wednesday before Christmas day. Feast, nearest Sunday to the 12th of September. At Ludwell, 1¼ miles W.N.W., is a fine spring of water, which soon falls into the Dove, but which, in summer often yields more water than comes down the river. The principal farms are Bank Top, ¾ mile N.W. ; Burnt Cliff, 2½ miles N. ; Coltsfield, 3 miles N.N.E. ; Custard Fields, 2½ miles N.E.; Haven Lodge, 2 miles N.E.; Lean Lowe, 2 miles N.; Pilsbury Grange, 2¼ miles N.W. from Hartington.

CHARITIES.—Poor’s Land—The rents of 11A. 3R. 8P. of land situated at Heathcote, in this parish, have for many years been distributed to the poor of the Town Quarter. It is supposed these lands were formerly left by the Bateman family, the agent of whom distributes the rents, amounting to £17 7s., annually at Christmas.

An annual sum of £2 12s., left by an unknown donor, is distributed in bread every two or three weeks by the minister. The poor of Hartington are also entitled to a portion of the gift of the Rev. Francis Gisborne’s charity. £5 10s. is received by the incumbent of Hartington, and laid out in flannel and coarse cloth, and given to the poor of the Town Quarter. (See Bradley).

HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER township contains Earl Sterndale chapelry, with various hamlets and scattered farms, extending N. and N.W. from Hartington, contains 4,506A. 1R. 13P. of land, and in 1851 had 66 houses and 307 inhabitants, of whom 157 were males and 150 females; rateable value £2,960 10s. 3d. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor and principal owner. The mountains Croom, Parker’s Hill, Glutton, and others the most singular of the Peak are in this township, near to Earl or Church Sterndale, a small village 6½ miles N. by W. from Hartington, and 5 miles S.S.E. from Buxton. The Church was rebuilt in 1828; it is a neat structure with an embattled tower. The living a perpetual curacy, valued at £150. The Duke of Devonshire is patron, and the Rev. Thos. Blackburn Kentish, B.A., incumbent, for whom a new parsonage house will shortly be erected. Bentley Grange, 3 miles N.E. from Earl Sterndale, and Vincent House, 2 miles N.N.E., are large farms.

CROWDYCOTE is a hamlet and small village on the banks of the river Dove, on the Bakewell and Longnor road, 2 miles S. by E. from Earl Stemndale. Here are two kilns for burning lime, and a stone bridge of one arch crosses the Dove. Dowall, a large farm at


HARTINGTON PARISH.                                                    419

 

the foot of a precipitous mountain, 1 mile N.W. from Earl Sterndale. Glutton, a farm at the foot of Glutton Hill, ½ mile W. from Earl Sterndale. High Needham, a small village on an eminence, 1 mile E. from Crowdycote. Hurdlow, a small village 2 miles E. from Earl Sterndale. Here is a steam engine for drawing carriages up an inclined plane of the Cromford and High Peak railway, with a wharf and offices at Parsley Hay. Middle Street a scattered district of houses on a road south from Earl Sterndale. This township is in the north division of the county.

CHARITIES—James Hill, by will, in 1712, left £2 yearly to the schoolmaster, for teaching four of the poorest children in this place.

Rowland Heathcote, by will, dated 1800, left £40 for the benefit of the poor of Earl Sterndale. The poor also of this Quarter receive bread to the amount of 20s. per annum from the bequest of Mr. Fletcher.

HARTINGTON NETHER QUARTER township, surrounds the Town Quarter, except where that adjoins the river Dove; it is a scattered district of small villages and farms, principally in the south division of the county, but partly extending into the north division; and the farmers have their lands so divided as to give many of them votes for both divisions. It contains 3,732A. 3R. 7P. of land, and in 1851 had 87 houses and 436 inhabitants, of whom 222 were males and 214 females; rateable value £2,306 l5s. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor and principal owner. Andrew Brittlebank, Esq., Thos. Bateman, Esq., John Sleigh, Esq., Thos. Hartshorne, Esq., and Miss M. A. Cantrell are also owners. In 1847 a new Church was built at Biggin, a pleasant but scattered village, extending from 1¼ to 2 miles S.E. from Hartington. It is a small stone edifice, with nave, chancel, and hand­some tower with one bell. The cost of erection was about £1,500 raised by subscriptions, exclusive of the site, given by the patron, H. G. the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £57, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Booth, LL.D., who resides at the parsonage, a good residence near the Church, erected in 1848, at the cost of £700. A good school room was also built at the same time at a cost of £200. Biggin Grange, and The Hall are now extensive farms. Dale Head, l¾ miles north. Friden, 3¼ miles E. From Hartington. Here is a wharf and offices on the Cromford and Peak railway. Heathcote, a pleasant small village on a bold eminence, 1 mile E. from Hartington. The Primitive Methodists have a stone chapel here, built in 1835. Newhaven, a small village 2½ miles E. from Hartington, on the old Manchester and London road. Several other roads unite here, and it is noted for its Inn, the Devonshire Arms, and posting house, 7 miles S.W. from Bakewell, 11 miles S.E. by S. from Buxton, 5 miles N.N.E. from Dove­dale. Very great fairs are held here on the second Tuesday in September, and on the 30th of October, attended by very distant dealers in sheep, &c. Ivy House, formerly the Bull’s Head Inn, half a mile S. from Newhaven, is now a handsome private residence, Pike Hall, 3¼ miles E.S.E from Hartington, has four farms in this township, situated on the Winster and Newhaven road. Pilsbury Grange, 2 miles N. from Hartington, near the Dove, has a large farm in this township, and one in the Town Quarter.

CHARITIES.—Matthew Bennett, by will dated 1758, left £20 in trust, the interest thereof to be given to the poor of Lower Quarter.

Margaret Sleigh gave to the poor of the Lower Quarter 10s. yearly, for ever; and Robert Bateman gave 20s. yearly, to be distributed on St. Thomas’s day. These two annuities are charged on a piece of land called the Furlongs, near Leek.

Elizabeth Cottrill, in 1814, left £20 in trust, the interest thereof to be annually given to all the poor widows of this Quarter.

HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER township forms the north-west extremity of the parish and of the Wirksworth Hundred. It is a wild romantic district, and contains 9,550 acres of hand, 192 houses, and 893 inhabitants, of whom 481 were males, and 412 females; rateable value, £4280. Of this township, 4,147A. are common and heath, of which the


420                                                                         WIRKSWORTH HUNDRED.

 

heath is mostly on peat and gritstone. The enclosed is mostly on limestone of excellent quality, of which much is burned near the Ladmans low wharf, on the Cromford and High Peak railway, near Grin hill, in Burbage. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor, owns the whole, except 1,215A., which belong to several freeholders. Axe Edge, at the north-east extremity, forms the highest of the High Peak mountain range, being 1,750 feet above the level of the sea, and nearly three miles S.W. from Buxton. The river Dove has its source from the south side; the river Goyt from the north side; and the river Dane from the south-west point, about 3½ miles S.W. from Buxton, on the Leek road. Goyt’s Bridge forms the extreme N.E. point. Near this point, 4½ miles N.W. from Buxton, the counties of Derby, Cheshire, and Stafford, all meet.

BRAND, a small hamlet, containing several scattered houses, lies at the foot of Axe Edge. In 1776, a school was erected here. In 1831, it was converted into a dwel­ling-house for the master, and a new school erected.—(See Charities). The Church clergy and Methodist ministers occasionally perform divine service in this school­room.

BURBAGE, a scattered hamlet at the north-east extremity, nearly adjoining Buxton, where, at half mile south from Buxton, is Poole’s Hole, a noted cavern, supposed to derive its name from an outlaw called Poole, who secreted himself in its gloomy Ca­verns. Others suppose it was a hermit, who chose this dismal cell for his place of abode. This cavern, at the foot of Grin-low hill, has the honour of being classed amongst the wonders of Derbyshire. The entrance is so low and narrow that the visitor is obliged to proceed in a stooping posture for nearly 80 feet, when it widens considerably, and he presently enters a very large opening with something like a covered roof, which, with the floor and sides, abound with stalactical formations, so thrown together as to bear a remote resemblance to various objects. In one place the visitor is shewn a petrified turtle, a flitch of bacon, and old Poole’s saddle; further in the cavern, a woolpack, a chair, a font, a lady’s toilet, a lion, and the pillar of Mary, Queen of Scots, so named from a tradition of that Queen having visited the cavern and advanced to this point, which is as far as any one would wish to go, the remaining portion being contracted into a very narrow chasm. From the entrance to the far­thest extremity is said to be 2,007 feet. Near the entrance are a few cottages, and guides always in attendance to shew the cavern. Grin Low is covered with Lime­kilns. The hill is composed of a bluish limestone, which is considered to make lime of the very best quality, which is transported to great distances. In several of the old kilns, houses have been formed by the peasantry, who by this means obtain a cheap and tolerable dwelling. The hill had a strange and uncouth appearance, but it has been planted which now hides its deformity. Harley is a large farm, half a mile N.W. from Earl Sterndahe. Hedge Moor, 1½ miles W. from Buxton, is a pleasant cottage residence, the property of the Duke of Devonshire, and in the occupancy of the family of the Bishop of Madras, now officiating at Calcutta. There are a great number of others noticed in the Directory. About 2 miles S. from Buxton, the Cromford and High Peak railway passes through a tunnel 600 yards in length, near which is a colliery leased by John Boothman, Esq., under the Duke of Devon­shire; he also is lessee of the limeworks, near Ladmanslow wharf, 1½ west from Buxton.

CHARITIES.—About the year 1776, a school was built by Thomas Taylor, and 13A. of land were appropriated, by the late Duke of Devonshire, to the use of the master of this school, but it does not appear that any instrument was executed for the purpose of annexing it permanently to the school, in respect to which the master instructs 12 poor boys and girls.

Abraham Nadin, by will, in 1807, left £60, the interest thereof to be paid to the schoolmaster for teaching six poor children.


HARTINGTON PARISH.                                                    421

 

HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER TOWNSHIP.

 

Post Office, at Joseph Wardles; letters arrive by mail gig from Ashbourn at 10.0 a.m. and are despatched at 4.0 p.m.

 

Alsop Mrs. Elizabeth

Banks Mr. George

Banks John, corn miller

Belfield Mr. Isaac

Harrison Henrietta, schoolmistress

Hope Wm., cheese factor, & tailor & draper

Hopkins Robert, cooper

Lomas James, vet. surgeon

Milward Mr. Thomas

Redfern Miss Ann

Sleigh Thos, and Henry, butter dealers

Stone Wm., saddler and harness maker

Sutton Wm., parish clerk

Wirgman Rev. Augustus, M,A., vicar

 

Inns and Taverns.

 

Devonshire Arms, Jno. Lomas, & cheese fctr

Red Lion, Edw. Broomhead

Sleighs Arms, Mary Clark

 

 

Blacksmiths.

Love George

Wayne John

 

Butchers.

Fogg John

Prime Daniel, (and    

  cattle dealer)

 

Farmers.

Abbot Thomas, Colt’s

  field

Allen My., Moat House

Boam James, Parsley

  hay

Briggs Geo., Ludwell

Broadhurst Ralph

Broomhead Samuel

Chritchlow Eliz.

Chritchlow Henry, (&

  bone merchant)

Chritchlow Ralph

Dain Ralph, Lean low

Fogg Thos. & Joseph

Fogg Thos., sen.

Gibbs John, Whim

Gillman Mary

Grindey John, Burn-

  clfffe

Gould Jph., (& cheese

  factor)

Gould Richard, Bank

  Top

Housley Geo., Custard

  Fields

Kirkham John, Pool

  Hall

Mason Wm., Wolves-

  cote Grange

Nadin John

Oliver Robt., Nettle

  Tor

Percival Isaac & John

Redfern John, Har-

  tington hall

Roose G., Churchsteps

Shirley Benj., Dig st

Swarfield Benj., Pils-

  bury Grange

Wakefield Samuel

Wilton Joseph, Haven

  Lodge

Wooddisse Martha

Wooddisse John

 

Grocers.

Mked * are Drapers.

Broomhead Joseph

* Hope James

Sutton George

* Wardle Joseph

Shoemakers.

Clulow Joseph

Moorwood Wm.

Presbury Wm.

Sutton Wm.

 

Wheelwrights &

Joiners.

* are Joiners only.

* Lomas Edward

* Moore John

Sleigh John

Sleigh Samuel

Woodisse John

 

Carrier.

To Leek, Geo. Sutton,

  Mon., Wed., & Sat.

 

 

HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER TOWNSHIP.

 

Those marked 1 reside at Crowdycote, 2 Earl Sterndale, 3 High Needham, 4 Hurdlowe.

 

Gilman Thomas, blacksmith

Gould Wm., engineer

Hallows Samuel, wharfinger & coal dealer

Johnson Thos., corn miller, Glutton mill

Kentish Rev. Thos. Blackburn, B.A., incum-

bent, Parsonage

2 Twigg Jph., shopkeeper and blacksmith

Weston Chas., shoemaker

 

Inns.

 

1 Pack Horse, Geo. Bagshaw

2 Quiet Woman, Joseph Heathcote, jun.

Royal Oak, Thos. Horobin, (and asst. over-

seer,) Sparklow

 

 

Farmers.

Bagshaw Joseph

3 Bagshaw Ralph

Bagshaw William   

Bainbridge William,

  Benty Grange

Beardmore G., Cronk-

  stone Grange

Bentley Thos., Glutton

Bown Fras., High st

3 Brassington Thomas

Broomhead Rbt., Vin-

  cent House

Carr Hugh

CritchlowJohn, Benty

  Grange

CritchlowR., Stanary

2 Finney George

1 Gould William

Gregory John

Harrison William

2 Heathcote Jph., sen

2 Holland Sampson

1 Horobin Thomas,

  sen., (and miller)  

Johnson Matthew,

  Wheldon Trees

4 Johnson Wm.

Marsden Thos., Dowell

Plant James

Rodgers Thos., Under-

  hill

Tunnicliff Mary, (and 

  tanner and currier)

 

Wain Richd., High-

  edge

Wilton Joseph

4 Wood William

 

Shopkeepers.

2 Kidd Joseph

1 Mellor Joseph

 

Wheelwrights.

1 Gregory Samuel

Hall William


422                                                                         WIRKSWORTH HUNDRED.

 

HARTINGTON NETHER QUARTER TOWNSHIP.

Marked 1 reside at Biggin, 2 Heathcote, 3 Newhaven, 4 Pike Hall, & 5 Pilsbury Grange.

 

1 Ault Isaac, sawyer

1 Austin Simeon, tailor

1 Bealby Richard, gent.

Bland John, plasterer

Booth Rev. Thomas, L.L.D., incumbent,

  Parsonage

Bowler John, clerk, Friden Wharf yard

2 Featherstone Michael, shoemaker

Heathcote Joseph, wheelwright

Naylor John, blacksmith

Percival Mr. Joseph, Well closes

Richardson John, gamekeeper

1 Shaw Miss Ann

 

Inns and Taverns.

Batemans Arms, Ralph Dain

3 Devonshire Arms, Wm. Dain, Newhaven

  house

Jug and Glass, Francis Featherstone, jun.

Waterloo, James Shaw

 

 

Farmers.

Mkd * are Cowkprs.

2 * Alsop Mary

1 * AshmoreThurston

2 Atkin William

Dain Ralph

Dain Thos. and Chas.

3 Dain William, New-

  haven House

4 Dakin John & Joseph

2 Dawson Adam

Dawson Thos.,(& beer-

  house), Alsop Moor

Derbyshire Ann, Moor

Featherstone Francis,

  Dale End

2 Featherstune Wm.

Fidler Mary Pechott,

  Grange

1 Gould Ellis, Hall

5 Gould Edmund and

  Gilbert

1 Greaves Elizabeth

1 Higton Thomas

Key Valtn. & Gervase

Kirkham John, Stan-

  idge Grange

Kirkham Joseph, Ivy

  House

2 Lees Edward

1 Lees Joseph

Milner Fras, Dale End

* Naylor James

1 Petts (Thos.) and

  Watson (Geo.)

2 Prince John & Edw

1 Prince John

4 Shaw John

1 Shaw William

2 Shirley George

Stone Samuel, Green

  Head

2 Webster Jno. & Wm.

 

Shopkeepers.

Greatorex Samuel

1 Newham Francis

 

HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER TOWNSHIP.

Those marked * are at Burbage.

Ashmore William, schoolmaster

* Barker John, stone mason

Bates Bryan, lodgings

Boothman John, coal master & lime burner,

  Grinlow Lime works

Drake Francis, shopkeeper, Buxton

*Gregory Wm., shopkeeper

Jepson Peter, clerk, Ladman’s Low Station

Moss John, shoemaker, Wall Nook

*Nall William, Caulk Mine proprietor

Noel Jph., spar ornament manfr., Buxton

Raynor Robt., manager, Grinlow Lime works

*Simpson William & Joseph, stone masons,

  builders, and carvers

Smith Samuel, shoemaker, Buxton

Spencer, Right Rev. Trevor George, Bishop

  of Madras, Hedgemoor

Staden James, shopkeeper, Brand Top

Sutton Mary, Cottage of Content, Tea

  Gardens

Ward Samuel, lodgings, Buxton

*Warmby William, colliery overlooker

 

Inns and Taverns.

*Cheshire Cheese, William Nall

*Duke of York, Ann Simpson

Park House, Ezekiel Wood

*Red Lion, George Holme

 

 

Farmers.

* Bagshaw Alice, Beet

  Farm

* Bagshaw Ann

* Barker Geo., Lower

  Otter Hall

Barker John, Upper

  Fowlow

* Bennett Sarah,

  Watford

Bredland Geo. Ferney

  Bottom

Buxton Richard,

  Harding house

Crabb John, Lower

  Foxlow

Downes Daniel,

  Counter’s Cliff

Fenney Chas., Harley

Fenney Thos., Stoup

Goodwin Mrs. —

* Goodwin Sarah,

  Upper Otter Hall

Hibbert Mrs. —, Long

  hill

Hibbert Thomas,

  Long hill

Hobson James, Shire-

  brook

Hodgkinson George,

  Greatlow

* Nall William

* Norton Anthony,

  Green Lane

* Norton Samuel,

  Plecks

 

 

Redfern Joseph.,

  Greatlow

Staden Thomas,

  Fairthorns

Swan Jas., Turncliff

Swan William, Bur-

  rowlow

Wain Ellen, Shirk-

  low

Wain Richard, Booth

Ward David, Goyt’s

  moor

Ward John, Goyt’s

  moor

* Ward Saml, Gutter 

Wardle Joshus, Fough

 

 

 

Rlwy. Conveyance

Cromford and High

  Peak Railway Sta­-

  tion, and Coal and

  Lime Wharf, Lad-

  man’s low. There

  is 1 passenger train,

  daily, to Cromford,

  at 2.30 p.m., and

  Whaley, at 11.30

  a.m.; Fras. Barton,

  manager, and Peter

  Jepson, clerk.

 

Carrier.

* Moses Longden, to

Macclesfield, Tues.

and Sat,


HOGNASTON PARISH.                                                     423

 

HOGNASTON, a parish and small village, pleasantly situated 5 miles S.W. by W. from Wirksworth, contains 1,350 acres of land, three-fourths of which is pasture, and the remainder arable; rateable value, £2,044 6s. In 1851 it had 70 houses, and 299 inhabitants, of whom 146 were males, and 153 females. The principal owners are Wm. P. Thornhill, Esq., M.P., Mr. Edw. Trueman, Mr. R. M. Thompson, Misses Thompson, Mr. Jno. Heathcote, Mr. Wm. Alsop, Mr. John Sims, Colonel R. B. Leacroft, Mr. Robert Bunting, Rev. William Buckwell, and the Rev. Joseph Sikes. The Executors of the late Philip Gell, Esq., are lords of the manor. It is in the manor of Wirksworth or Hulland, but only about 40 acres copyhold—fine certain. There is 13s. 4d. paid to the Duchy of Lancaster as palfrey rent, also 13s. for “lot and cope” to the receiver-general of taxes. The Church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is an ancient structure, with square tower, and south porch, within which is a fine Norman arch. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the King’s book at £7 3s. 4d., now £155, has been augmented with £800 Queen Anne’s bounty. The Bishop of Lichfield is patron, and the Rev. Thomas O. Grady, incumbent. The small tithe is paid by a modus of £7 15s., and the rectorial tithes were commuted in 1847, for £199 8s., are received by G. H. Errington, Esq. In 1855-56, a handsome parsonage was erected a little W. from the church, at a cost of about £1500, exclusive of the site, which was the gift of Mrs. Thornhill. Here are 26A. 2R. 17P. of glebe, let for £39 12s. 11d, per annum. There are also 23A. 2R. 36P. of land belonging to the church; 19A. 1R. 20P. of which are occupied by Mr. J. Hurd, at an annual rent of £22 4s. 1d.; and 4A. 1R. l6P. in the occupation of Mr. Thomas Bown, at an annual rent of £7 3s. 3d. The Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1827, is a neat brick building. The Independents have a chapel erected in 1855, at a cost of £60, it is a neat stone building, and will seat about 60 hearers. Riddings, ½ mile W. from Hognaston, is the residence and property of the Misses S. & P. Thompson. Mr. Edwin Truman also owns and resides on a farm ¾ miles N. from the village. Feast, first Sunday after Sept. 4th.

CHARITIES.—Thomas Allsop, in 1679, left a rent-charge of 10s. yearly to the poor, out of a piece of land called the Nether End of the New close, the property of the late P. Gell, Esq.

John Slater, in 1683, gave 10s. a year out of the Turlow Fields, to be distributed to ten of the poorest people within the parish.

George Morley, by deed, in 1720, gave 10s, per annum to the poor of this parish, out of land called the High Meadow.

These three annuities of 10s. each are distributed by the overseers of the poor on Christmas-day amongst the most necessitous of the parish.

The poor also partake of the Rev. Francis Gisborne’s charity. (See Bradley.)

 

Gibbs Rebecca, vict., Bull’s Head

Holland Mr. Samuel

Mellor Wm., vict., Red Lion

O’Grady Rev. Thomas, incumbent

Swindell Mr. John, Riddings

Thompson Mr. Richard M

Thompson Misses Sarah & Patience,

  Riddings

Thompson William. butcher

Wigley Sarah, dressmaker

 

 

Blacksmiths.

Redfern Wm.

Wheeldon John and

  William

 

Boot & Shoemkrs.

Allsop Daniel

Longdon Wm.

Wheeldon Edwin

 

Farmers.

Allsop Samuel

Ashton Thomas

Bainbrigge Wm.

Bowler Ann

Bown Sarah

Bown Thomas

Bunting Robert      

Cooper John

Cooper Richard

Coxon Geo., Riddings

Dethick George

Fowk Wm.

Hall Zachariah

Holland John

Lee Richard, Tollow

Field

Lomas Robert

Riley Samuel

Sims Wm., Gib field

Truman Edwin

Truman John, Thomp-

  son’s Farm

Truman Samuel

Webster John

Wheeldon John

 

Shopkeepers.

Frost Elizabeth

Gibbs Rebecca

Longdon Samuel

 

Tailors.

Riley Samuel

Stafford Zachariah

 

Wheelwrights.

Holland John, (and

  builder)

Lowe Benjamin

 

Carrier to Derby.

Joseph Renshaw, Tu.

  & Thurs.


424                                                                         WIRKSWORTH HUNDRED.

 

KIRK IRETON parish comprises the townships of Krik Ireton and Ireton Wood, 2,228 acres of land, mostly occupied as dairy farms, and in 1851 had 166 houses, and 735 inhabitants, of whom 365 were males, and 370 females; rateable value £3,371 5s. 1d.

KIRK IRETON, a township and considerable village, pleasantly situated on the side of a hill, 3 miles S.S.W. from Wirksworth, and 12 miles N.W. from Derby, contains 1415 acres of land and in 1851 had 130 houses, and 569 inhabitants; rateable value £2,229 l8s, 3d. The manor is attached to the duchy manor of Wirksworth, of which Peter Arkwright, Esq., is lessee. The manor of Hulland, in Wirksworth, extends into this parish. The principal owners are Wm. P. Thornhill, Esq., M.P., Jas. Milnes, Esq., Mr. Joseph Matkin, Mr. James Matkin, Phillip Hurt, Esq., Rev. Charles Evans, Mr. Thomas Peat, Wirksworth School, and Mr. John Dean. The Church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient Norman structure, with nave, chancel, side aisles, and tower with 4 bells. On Sunday, May 12th, 1811, a violent storm of wind took the lead off the roof, and considerably injured the tower, so that it was found necessary to brace it with iron girders; it also did consid­erable damage in the village. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £7 10s. 10d,, now £344 12s. The Bishop of Lincoln is the patron; the Rev. Robert Gell, M.A., rector. The rectory an old fashioned mansion, pleasantly situated on an eminence, a short distance east from the church, has 70 acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1846, for £315. Here is a Free school for 16 poor children, endowed by John Slater, in 1686, but the average attendance is 32, and the schoolmaster’s salary is made up by the rector. Also a National school, for girls and infants, the average attendance at each is 40. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel erected in 1836. Callow Moor, 1 mile N. partly in Wirksworth parish, was enclosed by act of parliament, in 1803. Feast, Trinity Sunday. Biggin Head, 1 mile S., and the Haze on the west, are good farms.

IRETON WOOD, a township and small village 4½ miles S. by W. from Wirksworth, contains 813 acres of land, 36 houses, and 166 inhaliitants, of whom 80 were males, and 86 females; rateable value, £1,141 5s. 10d., including the hamlet of Blackwall. Peter Arkwright, Esq., is lessee of the manor. The principal owners are the Rev. Charles Evans, James and William Pearson, Rev, William Melville, Henry James, Esq., M.D., Miss Johnson, and Miss Sybray. In the reign of James II., a grant was made for a certain sum of money, for the abolition of all arbitrary fines on change of tenant, and small certain fines are now levied on copyhold lands in this and many other manors held under the Duchy of Lancaster, with a chief or quit rent, of which £5 18s. 6d., is paid by Ireton Wood.

BLACKWALL, a hamlet, 1 mile W.S.W., from Kirk Ireton, contains 2 farms and an ancient stone mansion, overgrown with ivy, situated on the side of an abrupt acclivity, amidst fine timber and thriving plantations, the property of the Rev. Charles Evans, and residence of Miss Sarah Wilcockson. For many generations, this was the seat and property of the family of Blackwall, one of whom, Dr. Anthony Blackwall, wrote on the sacred classics.

CHARITIES.—John Storer, in the thirty-second year of the reign of Elizabeth, left £52 to the bailiffs and burgesses of Derby, the interest to be distributed as follows :—10s. to provide a godly sermon on Trinity Sunday, 1s. for the minister’s dinner, and 1s. for the dinner of a burgess to hear the said sermon, and 40s. to be distributed to the poor. The interest of this charity, £2 12s., is received from the corporation of Derby by one of the parishioners of Kirk Ireton, of which 12s. is paid to the minister, and 40s. is given amongst the most neccssitous poor of the parish.

Bridget Cheney deposited £29 in the Wirksworth Saving’s bank, the interest to be divided between the township of Kirk Ireton and Ireton Wood.

By indentures of lease and release, dated 1755, it appears that houses and lands had been anciently given by divers persons for the use of the poor and the repairs and beautifying of the parish church of Kirk Ireton, but that the deeds or wills by which the several estates had been so given were either lost or destroyed, and the only property ascertained to be now


KIRK IRETON PARISH.                                                     425

 

holden under trust, consists of 2A. 3R. 4P. of land, called the Church Croft, and a garden occupied by the schoolmaster, the rents of which are appropriated to the repairing and ornamenting of the parish church.

John Hutchinson, by will, in 1643, left a rent charge of 20s. yearly, to be distributed to the poor.

John Slater, by deed, is 1686, left five closes called the Nether Field and Blackwall Flat, out of the rents of which £8 per annum was to be paid to a schoolmaster for the in­struction of 16 poor children of Kirk Ireton, and the remainder to be given to the poor. This land is now let for £49 a year, and is distributed at Midsummer and Christmas in por­tions varying from 3s. to 15s. each.

Robert Cooper, by will, in 1728, gave to the poor of Kirk Ireton his lands, called Side Wood, containing l2A. 1R. 27P., and a wood containing 2A. 18P. Previously to 1810, timber was cut down on this estate, and on lands belonging to Slater’s charity, and sold for £350, which is vested in the three per cent, reduced annuities, and is distributed with the rents at the same time as Slater’s charity.

John Bower, by deed dated 1744, deposited £120 in the hands of Thos. Gell, to be laid out in the purchase of land, and the rents to be given for the instruction of poor children. An annual sum of £5 is now paid to a schoolmistress by the Rev. Philip Gell, who considers himself responsible for the amount named in the deed.

Gisborne’s Charity.—(See Bradley.)—£7 3s. received ou account of this charity, is laid out by the minister in the purchase of flannel, and distributed amongst the poor.

 

KIRK-IRETON TOWNSHIP.

 

Post Office, at George Ford’s; letters arrive from Wirksworth at 9 30 a.m., and are despatched at 4 30 p.m.

Beardsley John, blacksmith

Gell Rev. Robert, M.A., rector

Hodgson Hannah, infant schoolmistress

Hoon Michael, shoemaker

Mayhew Susan, schoolmistress

Kiddy Joseph, clock maker

Miles Wm., colr. of property & income tax

Pickering Danl., schoolmaster & parish clk.

Piddock Miss Harriet

Smedley Wm., baker

Swindell John. cowkeeper

Taylor James, beerhouse

Wilcockson Mrs. Sarah, The Mansion

Wright John, blacksmith

 

Inns and Taverns.

Barley Mow, Samuel Dean

Bull’s Head, Joseph Matkin, jun.

Wheat Sheaf, Henry Millington

Windmill, Wm. Greatorex, (& corn miller)

 

Butchers.

Bartholomew John

Simpson James

 

Farmers.

Brown Joseph, Top

  Farm

Butler Wm.

Buxton Robert

Colledge Isaac

Cooper John

Cowley Thus., Black-

  wall

Dean Wm. Blackwall

Dean Wm.

Ford Elizabeth

Harvey Moses     

Heathcote Wm.

Hoon Samuel

Johnson Thos., Upper

  Field

Leedam Joseph

Matkin Joseph, Callow  

  Moor

Matkin Joseph, jun,

Millward Robert

Peat Thomas, (&

  shoemaker)

Rains Stephen

Rains Thomas

Slater Isaac

Street George

Taylor Robert

Winson George

Winson John

 

Shopkeepers.

Dean German

Leedham Joseph

 

Stone Masons.

Doxey Daniel

Millington German

 

Tailors.

Barker Wm.

Brown John

Shepherd Samuel

 

Wheelwrights.

Cowley Charles

Greatorex Samuel

Hicklin Benjamin

Taylor Thomas

 

IRETON WOOD TOWNSHIP.

 

Brown Francis, butcher

Leacroft Frederick Richard, Esq.

Mills Mr. Samuel

Pickering John, shopkeeper

Walker Samuel, butcher

 

                2  E


426                                                                         WIRKSWORTH HUNDRED.

 

 

Farmers.

Bainbridge John

Beeson Elizabeth

Fearn Wm.

Heapy Hannah

Holland James

Hutchinson Samuel

Keys George

Mansfield Samuel

Peach Richard, The

  Hays

Slack James

Slater Samuel

Smedley Wm.

Spencer Thomas, Mill

  field

Taylor Wm.

Wheeldon Edward

Wilcockson Richard

 

KNIVETON, a parish and large well-built village on the Ashbourn and Wirksworth road, 3 miles N.E. from the former, contains 1962A. 1R. 25P. of rich pasture land, and in 1851 had 74 houses, and 331 inhabitants, of whom 173 were males and 158 females; rateable value, £3160 7s. 10d. The principal owners are, the Rev. German Buckston, Wm. Hunter Baillie, Esq., John Harrison, Esq., John Broadhurst, Esq., Rev. C. Evans, Miss Adsetts, T. Smith, Esq., M. A. Brittlebauk, Esq., W. Cantrell, Esq., Mr. Thomas Ginnis, Mr. Charles Clark, Mr. Thos. Barnes, Mr. Thos. Millward, Mr. R. Spendlove, Mr. Thos. Tomlinson, and Mr. W. Doxey. The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, situated on a lofty eminence at the southern extremity of the village, is an ancient structure, with nave, chancel, and low tower, surmounted with a short spire, and was repewed in 1842 with open seats. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the King’s book at £10, now £64. It has been augmented with £600 Queen Anne’s bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant; in the patronage of John Harrison, Esq., the Rev. Charles Birch, B.C.L., is the incumbent. In 1847, a National school was erected by sub­scription, aided by a government grant of £53; it will accommodate about 60 children, and the average attendance is about 30. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. Feast., first Sunday after 11th October. Four-fifths of the parish is tithe free, and the remainder is paid by agreement. The rectory of Knive­ton was anciently appropriated, as parcel of Ashbourn, to the dean of Lincoln, one of whom conveyed it to the dean and chapter of Lichfield. In 1548, the dean and chapter granted the rectory house, glebe, tithes, &c., reserving only the ecclesiastical jurisdiction, to Ralph Gell, Esq., of Hopton. In 1796, this estate was sold by the devizees in trust of Philip Gell, to Mr. Edward Evans and others; and the tithes have since been sold to the landowners. This manor (Cheniueton) we find in Domes­day survey, was from a very early period the property of the Kniveton family, and was sold by Sir Andrew Kniveton, Bart., in the reign of Charles II., to Lowe, after which it passed to the Pegges. It was sold by Thos. Pegge, Esq., to Mrs. Meynell, of Bradley, and passed to Godfrey Meynell, Esq. Mrs. E. Stoddart is now the lady of the manor. The first recorded parliamentary representative for the county of Derby was Henry de Kniveton, who served that office in the reign of Edward I. At Mudge Meadow, a short distance to the S. of the village is a sulphurous spring. Horsley House, an ancient residence on the western side of a steep hill, 1¼ miles N.W. from the Church, and 4 miles N. from Ashburn ;—about 16 years ago, a number of ancient silver coins were found on this farm. It is in the occupation of Mr. Saml. Millward. Kniveton Wood, and Kniveton Wood Cottage, are two farms, 1 mile W. of the village; the former is occupied by Mr. Thos. Ginnis, and the latter by Mr. Wm. Stafford. Pet Hills, a good farm house, ¾ of a mile S. of the village, is occupied by Mr. John Smith. Stand Lowe, quarter-mile N. of the village, is the farm residence of Mr. John Hough. There are also several other scattered farms.

CHARITIES.—John Hurd, by will dated 31st December, 1715, left 20s. yearly to the poor of this parish, to be distributed on the 28th of January; and he directed the churchwardens and overseers to raise so much money out of the rents of his estate as would erect a school fourteen feet wide and five yards long. He also left £8 yearly, for ever, to a schoolmaster, and 15s. to be laid out in coals, and 5s. for the repairs of the school. He further directed that any boys or girls of his name might come to the said school free.

Thomas Gaunt gave 20s. yearly out of land situated in Kniveton, to be distributed on the 23rd of December, in sums of 2s. each, to ten of the poorest families in the parish.


KNIVETON PARISH.                                                          427

 

In 1794, a house in this parish was sold for £25, supposed to have been bought with £12 originally left by Henry Fearn, in consideration of which the overseers distri­bute 18s. yearly, on the 28th of January.

The poor also partake of the Rev. Francis Gisborne’s charity.—(See Bradley.)

 

Beard Mr. Thomas, Crow Trees

Bridden William, butcher

Donne Hadassah Victoria, schoolmistress

Howard Rev. Garton, incumbent of Fenny

  Bentley

Johnson Martha, cowkeeper

Mather Hannah, straw hat maker

Wharton John, tailor

Wheeldon Mr. John

Webster Samuel, schoolmaster

 

Inns and Taverns.

 

Angel, Robert Wigley

Greyhound, Wm. Haywood, Ketcham’s Inn

Red Lion, John Hodgkinson

 

Blacksmiths.

Mather Luke

Webster George

 

Farmers.

Bagshaw William            

Barton Edward and

  Joseph, Agnes

  Meadow

Beard John, Beesom

  yard

Beeston Sarah, Wood-

  head

Cockayne Thomas

Docksey William

Gibbs Richard

Ginnis Thomas,

  Kniveton wood

Harris Joseph, Roe

  fields

Hawkins John, Fox         

  holes

Hodgkinson John

Hough John, Stand

  Lowe

Hurd John

Milward John, Brook

  House

Milward Samuel,

  Horsley House

Milward William,             

  Woodhead

Pidcock Thos., Agnes Meadow

Redfern Edward

Smith John, Pett

  Hills

Stafford Wm., Knive-­

  ton-wood cottage

Swinscoe William

Taylor Anthony

Tomlinson, Thomas,

  Ridding Park

Wain Mary, New

  house

Warrington William,

  Old Hall

Wigley George, The

  Green

Lime Burners.

Barton Jph. & Edwd.,

  Agnes Meadow

Hough Tohn, Stand

  Lowe

 

Shoemakers.

Bagshaw Wm., jun.

Wibberley John

 

Shopkeepers.

Bagshaw William

Fearn Josiah

 

Wheelwrights.

Tipper William

Wigley William

 

MAPPLETON or MAPLETON, one and a half miles N.W. from Ashbourn, a town­ship and pleasant village, on the eastern bank of the river Dove, which is here crossed by a stone bridge having a remarkably flat arch; its span being 70 feet, and its semidiameter only 11; it contains 795A. 0R. 20P. of fertile land, principally dairy farms, and in 1851 had 46 houses, and 200 inhabitants, of whom 80 were males, and 120 females; rateable value, £1857 14s. 3d. Haughton Charles Okeover, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal owner. John G. Johnson, Esq., Rev. H. J. Goodwin, and Sir Matthew Blakiston, Bart., are also owners. The Church, dedi­cated to St. Mary, is a small oblong building, having a dome surmounted by an urn; it was repewed and thoroughly repaired in 1842, at a cost of £250, raised by subscriptions, aided by a grant of £40 from the Incorporated society. The Communion service was given by T. Austin, Esq. The living is a rectory, consolidated with the vicarage of Ashbourn, value £72. In the church is a neat marble tablet to Francis Goodwin, Esq., formerly a captain in the Derbyshire militia, who died Augt. 26th, 1836, aged 68; also, one to his wife, the eldest daughter of Major-General Goodwin, who died Oct. 26th, 1841, aged 70 years. At the “Okeover Arms,” is an excellent Bowling-green, which has been established upwards of a century, and the proprietor Mr. Richd. Utting, can furnish visitors with tickets who wish to enjoy the sport of angling in the Dove. This village claims the honour of having been the birth place of Sir Francis Chantrey, the eminent sculptor. The Manor House, a little S. of the village, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Dove, is the property of H. C. Okeover, Esq., and the residence of Mr. Geo. Gough, whose family leave resided here upwards of 100 years. The Callow, a large handsome stone mansion in the Elizabethan style, situ­ated on an eminence, on time north side of the road from the bridge to the village, is the seat and property of J. Goodwin Johnson, Esq. At the Domesday survey,

2 E 2


428                                                                          WIRKSWORTH HUNDRED.

 

Mapletun belonged to the crown. The Cokaynes, of Ashbourn, had a seat here, and Francis Cokayne died possessed of the manor, in 1558. In 1641, an estate and manor here belonged to the Bassetts of Blore, whose heiress brought it to Wm. Cavendish, Earl and afterwards Duke of Newcastle. In 1757, it was sold by his descendants to Thomas Rivett, Esq. of whom it was purchased by the Rev. John Taylor, L.L.D., of Ashbourn. The manorial rights are now vested in the Okeover family, and have been for a lengthened period, whose beautiful seat, Okeover Hall, is contiguous to Mappleton, on the opposite or Staffordshire side of the river, to the east of which stands the Church, which, as Okeover is a Liberty and Extra parochial, was built for the use of the Okeover family. It is dedicated to All Saints, has a tower and nave, and its principal features wear the aspect of Edward II. period, though there are indications of its having been preceded by a still earlier fabric. It is at this time undergoing an entire restoration, under the able hand of G. Scott, Esq., architeet; and when completed will present a perfect example of an ancient family chapel. The east window contains a very interesting specimen of stained glass of the time of Edward III., it is now being repaired by Messrs. Hardman & Co., of Birmingham. Probably it was placed here by Sir Humphrey de Okeover, then the representative of this ancient family, which is of Saxon origin, and was seated here many years prior to the Conquest, and exhibits in its pedigree a long list of Knightly descendants. The living is a donative, and is served by a chap­lain, appointed by the patron, Haughton Charles Okeover, Esq. The present mansion. which stands at the eastern extremity of a finely timbered deer park, was built about the time of George II. In the drawing room, which is of fine proportions, and has a rich ceiling of compartments in the best Italian manner, are some very choice and inter­esting pictures by the old masters :—the chef d’œuvre is a Holy Family, by Raffaelle. In the park are several tumuli, and the traces of a Roman encampment.

CHARITIES.—Rowland Okeover, by will dated 24th October, 1727, left certain lands and premises situated at Atlow, on trust, to apply £60 yearly of the rents and profits thereof for the support and maintenance of a fit man to be an organist, and to play on the organ placed by him in the parish church of Okeover; and also of 12 fit boys or girls, to be choristers in the said parish church, to sing Divine service and psalms, and to perform such other duties and services, as were proper to perform on Sundays and holidays. Of this sum, he directed £20 per annum to be paid to the organist, and 40s. yearly to each of the choristers, to find them clothes; the residue to be applied in putting forth the said boys and girls, choristers, to useful trades. He further directed that the residue of the said lands and premises should be applied in building a covenient house, to be divided into dwellings for three widows of clergymen of the Church of England, to each of whom the sum of £10 yearly, (now increased to £30) was to be paid, with a further sum of 40s. at Michaelmas. And it was provided that in case any vacancy should happen, so much of the rents as should become payable during such vacancy should be laid out by the trustees in buying flax, hemp, and other proper matters to set the poor people to work for their better maintenance. In addition to the estate at Atlow, there is a sum of £600 belonging to the charity, lent on mortgage on an estate at Abbott’s Bromley, Staffordshire. This sum arose from an accumulation of the income of the charity previously to the yearly payments to the clergymen’s widows being augmented. An annual sum of £2 2s. has of late years been allowed to the organist, for tuning and taking care of the organ, in addition to the salary of £20. About the year 1736, proceedings took place in the court of chancery, respecting this charity, when it was established, except as to the maintenance of the choristers. Twelve boys and girls are now clothed out of this charity, at an expenditure of £40 per annum, and a premium of £5 is allowed to such of the children as apply to be apprentices. £20 per annum is paid to the Rev. Roger Ryland Vaughton of Yeldersley, for the management of the property. The gross income of the charity is £194 10s. A. sum of 10s. per annum was for­merly received by the poor, out of an estate at Ilam, possessed by the Port family.

 

MATLOCK PARISH.                                                          429

 

The estate was afterwards sold to Jesse Watts Russell, Esq. It appears that as long as the estate remained in possession of the Port family, the amount was regularly paid, and that the estate was sold subject to certain payments for charitable uses, which continued to be paid by Mr. Russell till 1819, when they were discontinued. No deed shewing the origin of the charity can be found.

 

        Post Office.—Richard Blake, postmaster. Letters arrive from Ashbourn, at 7.15 a.m., and are despatched at 5.30 p.m.

 

Johnson John Goodwin, Esq., Callow Hall

Allen William, butler

Blake Richard, shopkeeper

Bridden Mr. John

Bridden Wm., vict. & butcher, The Gate

Brown, Mrs. Mary, Manor cottage

Goodwin Misses Frances & Mary

Goodwin Rev. Henry John

Greatorex Wm., farm bailiff

Holland Richard, clerk to the board of

  guardians and superintendent registrar

Hooper Charles & Samuel, builders and

  contractors

 

Hooper Mr. George

Maulton Mr. William, Manor cottage

Taberrer Francis, corn miller

Thurlow Mrs. Martha

Twigge Mrs. Hannah

Twigge John, jun., shoemaker

Utting Richard, vict., and surveyor of high-

ways, Okeover Arms

Warrington Mrs. Jane

Woodward Nathaniel, blacksmith

Willis William, commercial traveller

 

Farmers.

Bagshaw Emma

Berisford Thomas,

  Heywood

Glover William

Gough George, Manor

  House

Green George

Hawksworth John

Hewson Ann

Jackson Elizabeth

Mould John

Swindell Jno. & Sl.,

  (& cattle dlrs.)