Search billions of records on

Transcription courtesy of William Bushey - Oct. 7, 2007


Tuscania Survivor’s Diary - Buncrana, Ireland 1918
32nd Division, Sanitary Squad (MEDICAL) #1 & #7


Jan. 10, 1918   
Left Camp MacArthur - we had been planning to leave for several weeks.

Jan. 15, 1918   
Arrived in Camp Merritt, New Jersey and moved from one barracks to another till we finally got settled.

Jan. 17, 1918   
McGee and I couldn't stand the strain so we went A.W.O.L. to New York. Saw "Leave it to Jane" and had a very pleasant evening. Got a room at the Martinique.

Jan. 18, 1918   
Called up several places till I finally got Marshall-McClintock Steel Co. Found that my respected and beloved cousin isn't the General Manager yet. We went to a good Vaudeville show in the afternoon and saw "Lombardi Ltd." in the evening. Went to a winter garden after the show. Back to the hotel at 2:45.

Jan. 19, 1918   
Bummed around all day and went to "Seven Days Liar" in the evening. Back to the Omar Kayaan room and then decided to go back to camp. We got into some empty barracks by mistake and had quite a scare. Thought the bunch had pulled out. We got straightened out and everything was fine.
Jan. 20, 1918   
Placed under arrest and confined to quarters for A.W.O.L.. Not much of a punishment because no one was allowed out of camp.

Jan. 23, 1918   
Left Camp Merritt and got aboard the "Tuscania" at the Cunard docks, Hoboken, New Jersey.

Jan. 24, 1918   

Jan. 26, 1918   
Pulled into Halifax to pickup the convoy. Saw the ruins of that monstrous explosion. The damage is almost beyond realization.

Jan. 27, 1918   
Sailed from Halifax in a convoy of 12 ships.

Feb. 5, 1918   
I can't begin to describe all that happened. Between times for the first and second sittings at supper, a sub got us out of the very center of the whole convoy. I got off on the last destroyer to come back for us, it was the HMS Pigeon; Lee Sauers, Montgomery and I worked till we landed helping a doctor fix up four men who were smashed up in a lifeboat.
Feb. 6, 1918   
Landed somewhere in Lough Swilly, Ireland at 3:30 A.M. They fed us and gave us blankets, but I couldn't get much sleep. Left in the afternoon and went to Londonderry. We got acquainted with allot of Irish troops from the Royal Innskillings. I'll swear by them forever, they were sure a fine bunch.
Feb. 9, 1918   
Moved to Randalstown, Ireland (near Antrim) - a Scotch convalescent camp. We met one Scotchman, Sergeant Harry O'Donnell, who is a regular fellow and did allot to make us comfortable. We enjoyed the Highlanders tremendously.

Feb. 10, 1918   
Left Randalstown. Went to Dublin where the Red Cross fed us. We were loaded on a boat and taken to "Holly Head," in Wales, then boarded a train to Winchester, England.

Feb. 17, 1918   
We all went down to the Cathedral in Winchester. I wish I could describe it. All I can say is that it's the most wonderful thing I've ever seen.
Feb. 19, 1918   
Spent the whole day in the Cathedral. A sexton took us through and told us of all the wonders it holds. A day I'll never forget.
Feb. 23, 1918   
Quarantined. Poor Gal?? has the mumps.

Feb. 26, 1918   
Went up to Headquarters to draw kit bag and get the pictures we had taken Saturday. In the evening we (Cody and I) went to a fancy dress ball at Easton camp. It was allot of fun. I can't understand English dancing at all. On our way back the Guard stopped us and I almost died trying to keep from laughing at Cody. He looked at the Guard and said in a very annoyed tone (exactly like a Tommy) "And what is it that you want?" The Guard stepped back and said "Oh, you are British soldiers, excuse me!" I almost gave it away laughing.

March 1, 1918   
Quarantine was lifted. Eddy, Rainter, Cody, Hulk, Bob, Shorty Green, Lee, and I went to Easton. Had a big fight with a bunch of Hard Guys from the 20th Engineers.

March 3, 1918   
Went down to Winchester in the afternoon with Thomas McGee. Went over to the British canteen in the evening and had a big party in the recreation room.

March 6, 1918   
Gave Bob, Lee, Cody and Shorty Green a little party at the British canteen. Not much doing.

March 9, 1918   
Called up to Headquarters to tell what we knew of Major Wade and a Captain who were in too much of a hurry leaving the Tuscania. We told enough I guess.
March 14, 1918   
First time we seen any of the old bunch. Lieutenant Gritz came over. In the evening we went up to see all of the old 2nd Band, a great reunion.

March 15, 1918   
A fine day - but kind of gloomy since Jim Scott came around to see the Appleton fellows.

March 17, 1918   
Pay Day! Sold my butts to Joe Rice and made $13.

March 18, 1918   
Went to a football game in the afternoon. Borrowed a pass to Winchester and met 4 regular fellows from a Canadian regiment. Went to see "Over the Top."

March 19, 1918   
Discovered a good pub. Slipped on over on a War.....(?). Went to see "Over the Top" again.

March 20, 21, 22, 23rd   
Had several good parties on the Itchin! Went to the theater every evening. No passes so we had a lot of fun with the M.P's.  Found a good place to eat - the Iris Tea Room.

March 14, 1918   
Left camp at Winchester to go across to France. As usual, everything got fouled up and it took all day to decided we weren't suppose to go till Monday or Tuesday. Went to a "rest camp" just out of Southampton. In tents for the first time since we left the 127th.

March 26, 1918   
Sailed from Southampton on the SS Londonderry.
March 27, 1918   
Arrived at Le Havre, France at 3:00 AM. Hiked up hill to our camp, arrived at 10:30 AM.

March 28, 1918   
Left camp at Le Havre at 4:00 AM. Had a damned uncomfortable night in the carriage. They certainly aren't meant for 8 men to sleep in.

March 30, 1918   
Finally reached our destination - Prauthoy, Haute Marne, France, and we got soaked. Slept on litters in a barracks without any roof during a pouring rain. Saw Murphy and Earl Engel. Murphy has got fine quarters and is framing an Easter party for us.

April 1 & 2nd   
Went down to the old lady's and had chocolate and worked on my "French." I was on Kitchen Patrol for the first time since Camp Douglas.

April 2, 1918   
Tommy and Van had their hair clipped. They insist that I'll have to also but I doubt it. Put up a stove in the barracks so they are fairly comfortable now.
April 8, 1918   
Sent out on first inspection detail with Van.

April 10, 1918   
Pay Day - 192 Francs.

April 11, 1918   
Walked over to the town of Esnoms-au-val to see the fellows from the 127th. Ben and Al weren't there but we saw all the rest of the old bunch.

April 19, 1918   
Bud Gorman beat Teddy Jameson and Jabber Jung made a monkey of the (???) from the mobile lab. (Note: reference to boxing matches?)

April 22, 1918   
Got some 2nd class mail but still have allot of it on the way. Got some Home Runs (Note: These were Worth's favorite brand of cigarettes. Not made anymore).

April 28, 1918   
Met Eddie Rainier for the first time on this side. Found a piano and had a good evening.

April 29, 1918   
Lieutenant Noble is in town. Just saw him for a few minutes but he's looking fine.

May 5, 1918   
Played Volleyball and Basketball all morning. Walked over to the town of Vaux-soos-Aubigny in the afternoon to the camp Commissary.

May 8, 1918   
Marty Peters dropped in on us. Joe Vandenberg was over from Esnoms too, I had the pleasure of giving a real dinner party for the whole bunch at "my" baker's house. A great old talk.

May 9, 1918   
Pay Day - 192 Francs. I made between 6 - 7 hundred shooting craps. American's International at the YMCA. One of the women knew a lot of people from Menasha.
May 14, 1918   
Got up at 4:00 AM and hiked to Vaux-soos-Aubigny, loaded down with equipment till I couldn't see. Got into a car (train) and rode till 4:00 AM.
May 15, 1918   
Detrained at the end of the line and hiked 7 or 8 kilometers to Petitefontaine, France. Billeted in a hay loft. Went sight seeing all evening. It's quite a beautiful country.

May 16, 1918   
Went to the town of Lachapelle-sous-Rougemont in the morning to inspect Sanitation with Briggs and Casey. Walked to the towns of Lauw and Masevaux in the afternoon. Had the best feed since New York. Real head lettuce to "top it off."

May 17, 1918   
Worked in the Division Surgeon's headquarters in the morning.

May 18, 1918   
My birthday (21) and a dam poor one. Everyone in the squad except me, got mail. Went up and watched Battery I of the 52nd strafe Fritz with 160 rounds with the French 240. A good Air Battle today almost directly over us. No one hurt, though.

May 19, 1918   
Had a good breakfast at the cafe next to the billet. Walked to the town of Felon in the afternoon looking for Tony but he has been transferred to the 2nd Division. Saw old Dutch Phalan and had a good barley with him. Had a good supper at the cafe. Good letters from home today. Everything good.

May 20, 1918   
Did a little work in the morning. Had a good swim for the first time this year. Sergeant Ritchie, from Tony's old company was over from Felon to see me in the evening.

May 21, 1918   
Had breakfast in the cafe with Doug Sontas (?). They claim anti-aircraft guns got one German plane. Swimming in the afternoon. Lots of heavy artillery fire. Had a good supper in the cafe with Worm (?) and Doug.

May 22, 1918   
Walked to Rougemont-le-Chateau. Met allot of the Military Police. Schubart from Neenah was there; also a fellow by the name of Gifford who use to pay Ross Roach's salary in Crandon.

May 23, 1918   
Got $25 from Jacob Hamstra and hiked to Rougemont-le-Chateau. Had the best meal since my arrival here in France; good pork roast, and Au Gratin potatoes, creamed carrots, head lettuce, bread, butter and milk.

May 24, 25, 26, 27   
Just the usual routine with suppers at Rougemont every night.

May 28, 1918
Moved Headquarters over from Petitefontaine to Chavannes-les-Grands (10 kilometers directly South of Lachapelle-sous-Rougemont). Saw McGee and Ralph on the way.

May 30, 1918   
Went on Detached Service with Erwin Marquardt. Rented a peach of a room for 1 1/2 Francs per day. Good eats with Co. K, 128th Infantry located in Montreux Chateau.

May 31, 1918   
Went to a French Entertainment show with Jabber et Jack Bumkhurt (?) and Monk. Mail was waiting when I got back to the room. One letter from Hazel that spells "Finis" for me, I guess. I sent the letter back and enclosed a photo of Billy Desmond just for an added touch. I guess it was rather a kiddy thing to do, and I'm kind of sorry about it now.
June 1, 1918   
A wonderful day for the beginning of a new month. Walked to headquarters to turn in boots and overcoats.

June 2, 1918   
6:30 AM Heavy barrage lasted two hours. All the fellows came over today. The 128th pulled out. Was sorry to see Blumethall go. Marquardt and I are the only Americans stationed here now. Lieutenant Noble came into town for a couple of hours and I showed him the place. Seemed just like old times to be with him again. Spent the evening working on German.

June 4, 1918   
!!!! Lots of mail. A letter from home. Also one from Jack Harrington. Spent the afternoon and evening with Danny.

June 5, 1918   
MOVED. Had dinner in Saint Ulrich with Phalan (?). Located in Retzwiller with Van, Briggs, and Dearth. Went up to the trenches in the evening and saw Ben. First time since Waco.

June 7, 1918   
Met Tommy Lathrop and Pete Barringer for the first time. While we were in England there was a report that Tommy died on a boat so it was a doubly pleasant surprise.

June 8, 1918   
Van, Briggs, and Dearth got orders to move to other towns, while I am to stay here. Harry Schostak is coming here as my assistant.

June 11, 1918   
Got our Bathhouse in operation today. Also found out officially "why" the Tuscania was sunk. Dad wrote Jack Faville that it was because I'm so wicked.

June 16, 1918   
We have authority to go as far as we like according to General Order #44 which came today.

June 14, 1918   
Pay Day - 192 Francs. Don't have to take out details anymore. All we have to do is inspect and report. Had 5 of the fellows up for a little poker game.

June 19, 1918   
Saw a good air battle this morning.

June 21, 1918   
The 3rd Battalion are moving into the trenches tonight. New troops here in the morning.

June 22, 1918   
Hurrah! Ben is with the Medical Department of the Battalion that came.

June 23, 1918   
Ben, Harry Schostak, and I walked over to the town of Dannemarie, had a good feed.

June 25, 1918   
An airplane driven down about one kilometer from here. Two sausages (German Zeppelins) shot down. Went to Fontaine with an ambulance and saw Tommy and Gary for a few minutes.

June 26, 1918   
1st Lieutenant William Salbreiter came over and inspected our town today.

June 28, 1918   
Fair weather. Airplanes busy over us all day long. Wrote to Hazel, Cam, Dad, and Tony this evening.

June 29, 1918   
Heavy bombardment all evening.

June 30, 1918   
Bombardment still going on. We got our first mail for about 3 weeks. I got letters from home - Waco, Cam, Tony, and even the bank - but none from Hazel. I Don't know why!

July 1, 1918   
Ben moved out to the trenches and Al Santer is back here now.

July 4, 1918   
The bunch up here on the Front have been getting the Devil ever since Ben moved up. Several gassed last night. I went to bed this afternoon with a bad headache and a temperature of 102 F. Took allot of quinine and aspirin, hope to feel better in the morning.

July 8, 1918   
Have been laid up with Trench Fever since the 4th. Got out of the hospital but still feel pretty rotten. Paid my room rent to date. Wrote Hazel that she mustn't feel obligated to keep writing to me. Feel better after getting that off my chest. Also explained as much of the trouble as I know to mother. Going to bed early.

July 9, 1918   
Feeling better today. Wrote Tony, Dad, Al Santer, Banman, and I went to a house where Young got his pie baked. He refused to divide it, so we ate the whole thing and it was the biggest pie I ever saw. Going to bed at 10:45 PM.

July 11, 1918   
Al and the bunch moved out tonight and the 3rd Battalion is moving in. Sausage balloon shot down at 6 o'clock.

July13, 1918   
Called into Headquarters. Had dinner with Headquarters Company. Sent out to the town of Hagenbach (Northeast of Dannemarie) to take charge of the bathhouse. Got there just in time to see a lad brought in dead.

July 14, 1918   
The heaviest barrage fire I've heard since I have been here. Started around twelve and lasted till one. After everyone got to sleep, they started again at two. French Independence day and Ben and I helped them celebrate it.

July 18, 1918   
Shelled the kitchen today and allot of shells exploded near us but no casualties. Best news tonight I've heard for a long time, the Germans were thrown back on a 40 mile front and the French have re-took Soissons. Fritz is sure getting his. Expect mail tomorrow or the next day.

July 20, 1918   
Called into Headquarters. Met the old bunch and donated about 150 Francs to the Stud game (poker). Went to Petit Croix in a truck.
July 21, 1918   
Heard a band concert and walked over to Montreux Chateau

July 22, 1918   
Had a "man-killing" hike with full pack to Morvillars (Southwest of Petit Croix), where we entrained in our Hommes-40 Cheavau x 8 palace car (train).
July 23, 1918   
Went through Paris and kept on going toward the Somme. Detrained at 11:30 PM.

July 27, 1918   
Left the woods near Virbiry (?) and traveled in trucks to Chateau Thierry (believed he boarded a train here)

July 28, 1918   
Arrived in the town of Blesme, France.

July 29, 1918   
Air-raid all evening.

July 30, 1918   
Ooooh! I thought that I'd seen some service on the other front but I've changed my mind. Continuous fighting and artillery fire ever since we landed here (Le Charmel) and to top it off, Briggs and Zimmerman got wounded with shrapnel and sent back to the hospital. One man killed by the same shell and three others seriously wounded.

July 31, 1918   
Ed Bellew came over with a detail today and brought the news that the old gang were just a little way's from us, so we all walked down in the evening and saw Fisher, Erbin Holbrook, Joe Marston, Peters, Harry Alquist, and the whole Medical Detachment. It's the first time we have been together since the Rainbow bunch left Camp Douglas Sept. 4th (1917). The Medic's had to move a half hour after we got there but we stayed all evening and had a good talk with Fisher.

Aug. 1, 1918    
Moved up and occupied a town that the Germans had left four or five hours before.
Aug. 2, 1918   
The 32nd Division liberated the town of Chamery.

Aug. 4, 1918   
Got my letters today, several from Cam (Cameron Bushey - Worth's brother) with snap shots, and several snap shots from home.

Aug. 5, 1918   
Rumored today that we are to be transferred to a Field Hospital.

Aug. 6, 1918   
Worm Nirsson (?) told Van, McGee, and my fortunes the story of his own life. A good time was had by all.

Aug. 7, 1918   
A little poker game that ended with stud. Our 72 hour barrage stopped during the evening and it seemed so quiet that it gave us quite a fright at first. Visited the grave of Quentin Roosevelt today. (Quentin was the youngest and the favorite son of former President Theodore Roosevelt. Quentin was a fighter pilot whom was killed in aerial combat July 14, 1918, the Germans buried him where he had fallen, near Chamery, marking his grave with the wheels of his plane and a cross inscribed "Roosevelt, American Airman).

Aug. 8, 1918   
Ambulance Companies pulled in and Dean Mitchell came over.

Aug. 9, 1918   
Harry Duke (?) was over for awhile. Gus Wilcox came in the evening and we had a little poker game.

Aug. 11, 1918   
Moved from Riddy (?) farm to a village 7 kilometers toward Berlin. (?) Framed on the outfit and got a ride (?).

Aug. 12, 1918   
Nothing but more poker.

Aug. 14, 1918   
Air-raid. Van and I got back to our billet just in time to see our little dug-out club coming out of their hole.

Aug. 15, 1918   
More Air-raids.

Aug. 16, 1918   
Nothing but fly's. They are getting so bold that they fight back if one hits them.

Aug. 17, 1918   
Got a good letter from my brother Cam saying that he expects to get his furlough and see me soon. Fritz is still on with his nightly raid.

Aug. 24, 1918   
Moved from Vezilly and traveled all day in a truck. Located in a Chateau in the same village with Ben and the rest of the old bunch. The Chateau is a very comfortable place, but the natives tell us that it is bombed about every third night.

Aug. 25, 1918   
Heard today that poor Spike Noble got it. According to the report he made a wonderful name for himself. It's hard to realize but I guess everything is passed off with the French saying "Ce' La guerre" (translated "this war").

Sept. 9, 1918   
We are back in the S.O.S. again (Service of Supply) and hope we will stay here at least long enough to get a rest and forget parts of the things we have been through. I haven't had time to write in the book and besides it was lost for a long time. Since I last wrote we have been on the move a good deal and we were stationed at the following places: Aug. 26 - the town of Cuise-la-Motte. Aug. 28 - the town of Vingre. Aug. 31 - the town of Tartiers. Sept. 9 - the town of Recy sus Aurre (?). From Cuise-la-Motte to Vingre was the worst hike I have ever made, it was at night and in the rain. The road was being shelled in several places and it lasted from 7:30 PM to 2:30 AM. At Tartiers we did some real work, and the only work I've done so far that I'm really proud of. We drove ambulances ( on night relief) from the dressing station to the advance R.C.'s and back to the evacuation hospital. It was perfect hell with the roads being shelled and bombed both ways all night long, more traffic than College Ave. (Note: this is reference to a major downtown Appleton, Wisconsin cross street), the roads are full of ruts and shell holes, pitch dark and patients moaning and cursing every time they are jarred. It was far from pleasant but I think every man in our outfit that worked with the ambulance bunch is mighty glad that they did. At both Vingre and Tartiers we were located in immense caves. They had from 12 to 18 or 20 ft. of stone overhead and were safe as anything could be, but not very comfortable. The largest cave covered between 15 and 20 acres, that's all that I remember now.

Sept. 14, 1918   
Moved to our present place Is-sur-Tille.
Sept. 23, 1918   
Squad has been on duty  ever since our move to Is-sur-Tille with Camp Hospital No. 4 but I have gone to work in our office. Got my first letter from Hazel. For weeks I haven't heard from the family since Vegilly.

Sept. 30, 1918   
Have been working in the office and taking things fairly easy. The lieutenant has been gone for a little over a week and that makes some extra work. Last night there was quite an exciting time for a while. Some fellows were making to much noise and an officer from down town insisted that they be placed under arrest and helped do it. Well they got two of them, and the other two just beat the life out of the Lieutenant and the M.P.'s. Rather a satisfactory evening.

Oct. 9, 1918   
The Surgeon's office called up and ordered me to report without delay for steno duty.

Oct. 10, 1918   
Got travel orders, waited for a train until 8:30 PM but there was no sign of it, so I went back to camp.

Oct. 11, 1918   
I caught a train to Chaumont. Reported to the Surgeon's office that PM and found that it was the wrong place. Stayed overnight.

Oct. 12, 1918   
Caught a train back to Is-sur-Tille in the evening.

Oct. 13, 1918   
Was sitting by the stove when my brother Cam walked in. He is here for seven days.

Oct. 14, 1918   
If I have to move before they .... up I expect Cam to go with me.

Oct. 23, 1918   
First opportunity I've had to do any more writing. Order's came for me to report to the Chief Surgeon, Adv. Sec. No.1 Service of Supply. Cam went with me and we had a fine trip. Went to Langres first. Had several hours there so we went up to the town and looked around. Got a train that same evening as far as Fontain. Had a peach of a bed and breakfast for both of us for 3 Francs.
Oct. 24, 1918   
Got the narrow gauge train to Nogent. I reported to the Surgeon and after looking thing's over decided that I didn't want that job. When they asked me if I was a stenographer, I told them very emphatically "NO!," I didn't know a thing so they decided to send me back. We couldn't get out today, so we got a very poor room for 10 Francs.
Oct. 25, 1918   
Got the "petite chemin de fer" (small railway) back to Fontain and started out for our old home but met the owner on the way to the depot going to Chaumont, so we went there too and got a fair room for 11 Francs.
Oct. 26, 1918   
Caught a French Express in the afternoon and came back to Is-sur-Tille.

Oct. 30, 1918   
Today is Cam's last day here. He was suppose to go by last Sunday, and this is Wednesday.

Nov. 2, 1918   
Nothing much doing. Cam has been gone for some time. I spent a couple of days at Dijon last week, had quite the time. Worked till one o'clock typewriting for Colonel Peck last night.

Nov. 14, to Nov. 30th   
On furlough with Luke, Dusty Rhodes, Blackie and Munch. Visited Lyon, Rives, Beaimie, Grenoble and Uriage. No use trying to write an account of it.
Nov. 30 to Dec 5th   
Down to Dijon most of the time with Dusty. I guess the graft that we had worked for at feed for over month is queered. (No clued what this passage is trying to convey).

Dec. 19 - 30th   
Dijon four or five times.

Dec. 31, 1918   
Dijon - Smashed up in the ambulance on the way back. Some trip!

March 6, 1919   
The eye went bad about 3 weeks ago and I was marked for Quarters for awhile. Admitted to the Camp Hospital on the 1st of March and transferred here to the base on the 2nd. This place is an awfully poor imitation of a hospital. Have had some pretty bad nights but I am getting along quite well now. The old doc is using pure atropine and it sure is powerful stuff. 
April 16, 1919   
The eye got well relatively quickly but I stayed in Dijon for over six weeks. There were five ...... a week and plenty of ........... so there was no use going back to the outfit. Had allot of fun playing around the YMCA with Ackermann and Roger. Got orders to report back to Division

April 24, 1919   
Departed from Is-sur-Tille

April 27, 1919   
Had the best kind of trip and saw Cam for a few minutes at Tours. He doesn't expect to get home very soon.

April 28, 1919   
I have discovered one place where there is a system to everything. From developments there for would be willing to bet 10 to 1 if there were any takers that we have the biggest bunch of boobs in the Army for Sergeants. They are getting worse instead of better. Should get out of here in three or four days but if they don't buck up we'll spend a month here.

May 6, 1919   
Got aboard the USS Rhode Island (a battleship)

May 7, 1919   
Our ship sailed today, were heading home.

May 19, 1919   
We have arrived in Boston. Went to Camp Devens. I got into Boston two nights. Saw Nora Bayes the first night in the show "Ladies First." And I saw some other musical comedy on the second night.

May 21, 1919   
Left Camp Devens

May 23, 1919   
Arrived  at Camp Grant

May 24, 1919   
Camp Grant.... Have finished everything and all there is left is to get paid and discharged.

(This ends the narrative portion of Worth's diary. The remaining five pages consist of names and addresses of friends from the Army, a list of places seen or visited and some pay entries)