Search billions of records on

Sheboygan Press, "History of the Tuscania Destruction," 5th Feb. 1936
Transcribed by Steven Schwartz (2005)

Chief Officer R. W. Smart of the Tuscania writes:
"The reason the transport Tuscania remained afloat so long was due to the strength and number of her bulkheads and the fact that all water tight doors were closed, when the vessel entered the danger zone. I am sure if it had not been for the coolness and splendid behavior of all, the loss of life would have been much heavier."

William Stevens Prince "Crusade & Pilgrimage" 1986; page 26

"John McMahon, a seventeen-year-old crewman, was on the port side when the torpedo hit on the starboard. It was a terrific bang, and the whole ship shook; there was a lot of smoke also. All the lights went out and we took a strong list to starboard. There was no real panic. I heard soldiers in the first moments of darkness shouting, keep cool, no rushing, you'll get there."

Document submitted by William Stevens Prince

G. A. Houghton
1375 Roanoke Road, Fairview,
Camden, New Jersey.


Mr. Leo V. Zimmermann,
December 19, 1930
Dear Sir:

In reading the American Legion Monthly - - I was reading about the TUSCANIA SURVIVORS ASSOCIATION – being a member of the crew, Assistant Steward, on the ship, on her last voyage – I landed in Londonderry, Ireland – I was picked up by the H-17 Destroyer; the name of the Destroyer, besides being called H-17, was the GRASSHOPPER, British. We were torpedoed around 8 or 7 p.m. and landed in Londonderry 6:15 a.m.

From Londonderry I was shipped to Liverpool and came back on the St. Louis. On getting to New York, I went to Boston where I lived. I reported to my Draft Board and was sent to Camp Devon; 12 Division, Company “G,” 74th Infantry Regiment.

What I want to know – am I eligible to join your Association? I can send you my discharge to show that I was a member of the crew of the TUSCANIA.

Hoping I shall hear from you, I remain,

yours truly,

G. A. Houghton
1375 Roanoke Road
Fairview, Camden, N. J.
Member of the Fairview Post #71,
The American Legion. 

"Bridgeport Telegram" Thursday, 14 March 1918, Page 7

Tuscania Survivor Dies in New Haven, CT.
New Haven, 13 March 1918 - John McDaniels, age 21, of Omaha Nebraska, whom was a Seaman on the torpedoed steamer Tuscania, was found dead in his room today. He came here recently and obtained employment in a munitions factory. When he went to bed last night a gas stove was alight in his room. During the night the gas ran out and someone restored the supply through a prepayment meter, and the gas killed the sleeping man.

DAILY RECORD AND MAIL NEWSPAPER (England) 11 February 1918; Pg. 4
Contributed by: William Stevens Prince


Landings were made by parties of sailors and soldiers from the Tuscania at three points of an Island on the West Coast of Scotland. They had no alternative with respect to destination, for a strong tide drove the lifeboats in that direction.
It was about 5 a.m. when the ship-wrecked parties, one by one, made the shore. Daylight had not arrived, and in one instance, at least, the little vessel – a collapsible boat – dashed heavily upon jagged rocks when being beached, and immediately came to grief. Wading and swimming through the heavy surf, numbers of those whom had been onboard received injuries. A soldier got a wound in the leg which required three stitches.
The survivors told the “Daily Record and Mail” that the Islanders justified their reputation for hospitality. One group of shivering castaways had to walk three miles before they reached a farm-house. When they arrived every care was taken from their shoulders. The natives at once produced generous supplies of toddy for the cold and scantily clad company. Wardrobes were the next subject of consideration on the part of the isles men and women.
Observing that Patrick Cox, a young man, whose home is at 126 Piccadilly Street, Anderston, Glasgow, was practically without clothing, a motherly women handed him a warm coat.
A bright young fellow, Patrick, whom is a Trimmer, related an interesting story of his experiences. When the torpedo crashed into the Starboard side of the transport he was on his way to the upper deck. It at once became plain to him, what had taken place. With two of his comrades he raised the cry, “Keep Cool!”
Patrick recalls that only a little earlier one of the American soldiers had put the question to him. “Well, are we past all the danger yet?” To that he made answer. “No; we are still in the danger zone, and may get a torpedo amidship at any moment.”
After running back to secure his life belt, Patrick took his place at a boat station, and with the chief engineer, plumber and carpenter assisted in lowering the boat into the water. An American Army captain, and ordinary seaman, and about 50 soldiers stepped into the lifeboat with Cox’s
Shoving off from the side of the liner, a little before she went under, they were drifting into the direction of a light when they heard a voice in the thick darkness shouting “Help!” With great difficulty they located in the water Thomas Campbell, a Fireman, whose home is at 58 Clyde Street, Anderston, Glasgow.
Campbell was wearing a life belt, and had an oar underneath his chin for additional support. According to the timing of those in the boat, the poor fellow must have been floating and swimming in the bitterly cold water for two and a half hours.
Campbell’s version was practically identical with that given by Cox’s. Through the breaking or upsetting of the boat, 16 men, he said, were thrown into the water. For a long time one of his shipmates kept afloat in his neighborhood, but the exposure proved to much for the man.
With teeth clenched in his agony, the perishing sailor cried at length. “I am finished, Tom!” Campbell endeavored to encourage him, but nature was completely exhausted, and later, when the Island had been gained, the melancholy task was his of identifying the body.
Carried by the ocean current, several of the drowned men were cast up on the beach. Three of the victims were Glasgow seaman.
The rumor persisted for a time that the Tuscania reached an Irish port safely. That was not endorsed by Cox’s. He affirmed that the liner went down, nose first, and that when in an upright position, she suddenly overturned. 



External & Internal Web Links

Anchor Line letter to the U.S. Dept. of Immigration; 25 January 1918

"Museum of Islay Life" Port Charlotte