Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Schools & Sunday Schools

S



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Sabbath School
An alternative name for a Sunday school – used in the 19th century – as in the United Methodist Free Church Sabbath School, Walsden

Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School, Sowerby Bridge
Fore Lane

Saint Andrew's Church of England (Aided) Junior School, Brighouse
The school was built in 18?? on Thornhill Bridge Lane. It was demolished in 19??. A block of flats now stands on the site.

The new school stands on Waterloo Road, Brighouse. It was built in 1971 on the site of the former playing fields at Waterloo, Brighouse

Saint Andrew's Church of England Infants' School
Lightcliffe Road, Brighouse. Opened in 1892 as a high school. It later became a Higher Grade School.

In the early 1900s, it was known as Saint Andrew's Girls' School.

It reverted to the present name in 1932.

See Saint James's School

Saint Andrew's Girls' School
Lightcliffe Road, Brighouse. The name of Saint Andrew's Church of England Infants' School in the early 1900s

Saint Andrew's School
Thornhill Briggs Lane, Brighouse. Built in 1885. An infants' school was added in 1891. It was extended in 1892, and again in 1897. Formerly Thornhill Briggs School

Saint Andrew's Sunday School, Holmfield

Saint Anne's National School
See Southowram National School

Saint Augustine's Church of England Junior & Infant School
Hanson Lane, Halifax. A mixed and infants' school. Built at a cost of £4,000. Opened on 14th April 1868. John Halliday was headmaster here [18??] when it was the largest school in Halifax.

It accommodated 428 pupils [1871]. It accommodated 753 pupils [1917].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • John Halliday [1881]

  • Miss Jane Sirett [1881]

  • Miss Mahony (infants) [1881]

See Maurice Jagger and Saint Augustine's Church

Saint Bernard's School, Halifax

Recorded around 1900, when James Brennan was educated here.

See Saint Bernard's Catholic Church, Halifax

Saint Catherine's Roman Catholic High School
Holdsworth Road, Holmfield. Originally Sir Thomas More Roman Catholic Secondary School, it became known as Halifax Catholic High School [1971], and it was renamed Saint Catherine's Roman Catholic High School for Saint Catherine of Siena [2000].

In 2006, and again in 2012, an Ofsted report commented that the school was inadequate.

In August 2013, it is to close and merge with Holy Trinity Academy.

Saint Chad's Church of England Primary School
Hove Edge. It accommodated 195 boys & girls and 75 infants [1917]

Saint Chad's School & Mission Church
Hove Edge.

Aka Saint Chad's Day School.

Built in 1895, it was the first place of worship for the established church to serve the expanding area of Hove Edge which had become a part of the Borough of Brighouse.

The land was given by the owners of the Sunderland Estate.

The corner-stones were laid on 28th April 1894, by a group including

The building was designed by George Hepworth.

The School opened on 5th May 1895.

The cost was £3,000.

On Sundays, it also served as the Mission Church for Hove Edge until 1912 when it was superseded by Saint Chad's Church, Hove Edge.

It remained largely unchanged until after WW2, and two extensions were built in the next 30 years. A further extension was added in 2004.

It is still used as a primary school.

See Rev Reginald Plumer Stedman

Saint Christopher's School, Brighouse
At the Friends' Meeting House, Huddersfield Road.

Recorded in 1946 and 1959

Saint George's National School, Sowerby Bridge
Quarry Hill. A national school opened on 13th May 1845 by Rev Thomas Pitts. It could accommodate 350 children.

In 1897, it was described as Mixed, and had an Infants' Department

This was the infant and primary school, and also the Sunday school for Saint George's Church.

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

Samuel Wilkinson was involved in alterations to the School [1900].

It has been converted into apartments.

See Rowland Siddall

Saint George's School, Sowerby
Attached to Saint George's Church, Sowerby. It accommodated 350 children [1845]

Saint George's Sunday School, Lee Mount
The Sunday School for Saint George's Church

Saint James's Church Sunday School, Halifax
In February 1839, a subscription was opened for the erection of a Sunday School connected with Saint James's Church. The chosen site was on Cabbage Lane, adjoining the Oddfellows' Hall, Halifax. The estimated cost of ground and building is about £900

Saint James's Infant School, Halifax
Pellon Lane. Built in 1839
the result of the pious and zealous labours of the Incumbent of Saint James's

Saint James's National School, Halifax
Victoria Street. Erected in 1832. A boys', girls' and infants' school. It could accommodate 310 pupils [1871].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Miss Jane Ann Skelton [1881]

  • Miss Ellen Best (infants) [1881]

In 1886, it was superseded by Akroyd Place School

Saint James's National School, Halifax
Cross Hills. A national school built in 1845. It could accommodate 216 pupils [1871].

Saint James's National School is recorded at Cross Hills and also at Saint James's Road, Halifax [1850, 1881].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Ralph Cross [1850]

  • Miss Ruth Newnham [1850]

  • Smith Jowett [1881]

  • Miss Mary Askroyd [1881]

Saint James's School, Brighouse
Queen Street.

Aka Queen Street School.

The school for Saint James's Church, Brighouse.

Built at a cost of £1200 – following the 1870 Education Act – to supplement Saint Martin's National School and to serve east Brighouse. It opened in 1877.

It burnt down on 18th November 1901. Money was raised and the School was rebuilt, and reopened on 30th August 1902. It accommodated 224 boys & girls and 120 infants.

It closed in the 1970s for road improvements.

The pupils moved to Saint Andrew's Infants' School.

The property was later occupied by a company providing audio-visual and services.

The car park of Tesco's supermarket now stands on the site.

See Brighouse Cricket Club, Brighouse Lads' Club and George Crowther

Saint James's School, Halifax
Cross Hills. A girls' and infants' school. It could accommodate 350 pupils [1871]. In 1886, it was superseded by Akroyd Place School

Saint James's School, Hebden Bridge
Aka Mytholm School, Hebden Bridge

Saint John's Church of England School, Warley
Cote Hill. Built in 1872 at a cost of £2,000. It accommodated 259 pupils [1917]

Saint John's Church of England (VA) Primary School, Clifton

Saint John's Church of England (VA) Primary School, Rishworth

Saint John's Hall, Warley
Windle Royd Lane. The Sunday School for Saint John the Evangelist, Warley. It was used as a day school between 1873 and 1926. There were 96 pupils [1873].

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

From 1926, it has been used as a Sunday School.

Saint John's House School, Halifax
Boarding school for girls at Trinity Road

Recorded in 1851

Saint John's National School, Cragg Vale
A national school. Built in 1887. It accommodated 350 children.

The school was superseded by Cragg Vale Junior & Infant School

Saint John's National School, Halifax

Saint John's School, Hebden Bridge
Stubbings.

The building was originally Saint John's Mission Church, Hebden Bridge.

See Saint John's Church, Stubbing

Saint John's School, Rastrick
Saint John's Street / Gooder Lane. Built by the Rastrick Building Company Limited as a day school and a Sunday school and opened on 1st October 1874.

See Saint John's Mission Church, Rastrick and Saint John the Divine, Rastrick

Saint John's Sunday School, Cragg Vale
Thr Sunday School stands next to the church of Saint John in the Wilderness, Cragg Vale.

It was built in 18??.

It closed in 19??.

It is now called Saint John's Centre and is used as a community centre and a theatre

Saint John the Evangelist Sunday School, West Vale
The Sunday School for Saint John the Evangelist, West Vale was built just north of the Church on Church Street.

It is still standing [2011] though disused

Saint Joseph's Catholic Primary School, Hove Edge
Finkil Street. A mixed school was built in 1867. An infants' school was built in 1891.

It accommodated 335 adults [1917].

On 4th September 1961, a new school opened here.

See Saint Joseph's Catholic Church, Brighouse

Saint Joseph's Catholic School, Claremount
The school was built at Godley Bridge, on the site of Bloody Field, and cannon balls, horseshoes, and a sword were found during the building work. It was associated with Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Halifax.

On 10th August 1872, John Lister – who had provided the site – laid the foundation stone for the school The school was built at a cost of £3,000. Opened 25th November 1873. It accommodated 195 boys, 250 girls and 227 infants [1917].

Around 1895, the Sisters of the Cross & Passion, from the convent in Horley Green, assumed responsibility for the School.

On 22nd July 1913, His Eminence Cardinal Logue visited the School.

In 1929, it was superseded by Portland Road Board School which took the name of Saint Joseph's.

See Poems in Peace & War

Saint Joseph's Catholic School, Cobden
Todmorden. Built in 1868. It accommodated 104 children [1917]

Saint Joseph's Roman Catholic Primary School, Todmorden
Ridge Street. Opened on 1st January 1876. It is attached to Saint Joseph's Catholic Church

Saint Jude's Sunday School, Halifax
The Sunday School for Saint Jude's Church

Saint Luke's Non-Provided Schools, Norland
Recorded in 1905


Question: Does anyone know whether this and Saint Luke's School, Norland are the same School?

 

Saint Luke's School, Norland
Rev John Ellison was instrumental in the construction of the School. It opened in August 1871 as a Sunday School. It cost £500 to build the School.

It became a day school in 1872.

A stone was laid on 29th October 1894 for extensions to the building.

It was extended in 2003

It became Norland Church of England Junior & Infant School.

See James Joseph Aves and Saint Luke's Non-Provided Schools, Norland

Saint Malachy's Catholic Primary School
Illingworth. A junior and infant school opened in August 1951

Saint Mark's School, Siddal
Aka Saint Mark's (Holdsworth) Sunday Schools. Whitegate Road.

Saint Martin's Church of England Secondary School, Brighouse
[1831-1969].

See Brighouse Adult Education Centre and Saint Martin's National School

Saint Martin's National School, Brighouse
Church Lane. Gothic Revival building. Opened as Brighouse National School in 1835. The cost of the building was £250.

In 1850, there were extensions.

In 1861, there were further extensions to include accommodation for the master. The master's house is now the administrative block.

Other additions were made in 1864 and 1899.

It accommodated 410 boys & girls and 220 infants [1917].

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

It became a Church of England Junior and Senior School.

In 1932, there were recommendations that it become a Senior School.

In 1952, it became a controlled school, paid for by the County authority.

In 1958, it was known as Saint Martin's Secondary Modern School.

The school closed in 1969.

In 1972, it became Brighouse Adult Education Centre.

See Mrs Sunderland

Saint Martin's Secondary Modern School, Brighouse
Name by which Saint Martin's National School, Brighouse was known in 1958

Saint Mary's Catholic School
Or Saint Marie's Catholic School.

Clarence Street / Gibbet Street.

Designed by J. F. Walsh.

A boys', girls' and infants' school built in 1846. This had 4 teachers and could accommodate 60 scholars.

It could accommodate 310 pupils [1871].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Miss Dolan [1881]

  • Miss Isabella Green (infants) [1881]

See Saint Mary's Catholic Church

Saint Mary's Church of England School, Luddendenfoot
A Church of England School is recorded at Blackwood Hall, Luddendenfoot [1895].

See Luddendenfoot National School

Saint Mary's Mission School, Shade
Opened on 1st January 1868. It was the first purpose-built school in the district.

In 1904, it was superseded by Shade Council School but continued as a Sunday School. It was demolished when the area was redeveloped around 1973

Saint Mary's National School, Halifax
Recorded in 1860, when a grant of £15 was awarded from the Factory Fine Fund, and when the school had 239 children, of whom 181 were employed in factories

Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Primary School
Swires Road, Halifax. Built on the site of Westfield

Saint Mary's School, Cottonstones
Aka Saint Mary's School, Mill Bank

Saint Mary's School, Luddenden
See Luddenden School

Saint Mary's School, Mill Bank
Aka Saint Mary's Church of England Junior & Infant School and Saint Mary's School, Cottonstones.

Originally a National School. Dated 1850.

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

See Ann Crabtree's School and Saint Mary's Church, Cottonstones

Saint Mary's School, Sowerby Bridge

Saint Mary's Schools, Halifax
Clarence Street.

In 1871, Mrs Michael Stocks, of Upper Shibden Hall, laid the corner stone of new day and Sunday Schools in Lister Lane, Halifax in connection with Saint Mary's Church.

Michael Stocks gave £1,000 towards the construction of the Schools and the Parsonage

It accommodated 745 pupils, boys, girls and infants [1917]

Saint Mary's Sunday School, Illingworth
The Sunday School for the church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Illingworth

Saint Matthew's Church School, Rastrick
Stood opposite Saint Matthew's Church. Opened in 1867 in the former Saint Matthew's Sunday School. It closed in 1912. It was demolished in 1960.

In 197?, Rastrick Parish Centre was built on the site

Saint Matthew's Sunday School, Northowram
The corner-stone to the Sunday School for Saint Matthew's Church was laid on 4th January 1936 by Margaret Watkinson

Saint Matthew's Sunday School, Rastrick
Built in 1865. In 1867, Saint Matthew's Church School, Rastrick opened here

Saint Michael & All Angels Church of England Primary School
Shelf

Saint Michael's School, Mytholmroyd
Recorded on 22nd October 1897, when a new subscription clock, in honour of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, was set in motion by Mrs John Culpan

Saint Patrick's Catholic Primary School
Green Lane, West Vale. Opened in February 1902.

Closed in 19??. The staff and pupils moved to Saint Patrick's, Hullen Edge.

See Saint Patrick's Church, West Vale

Saint Patrick's Roman Catholic School, Hullen Edge
In 19??, the staff and pupils moved here from Saint Patrick's Catholic Primary School, West Vale

Saint Paul's School, Halifax
King Cross. An infants' and junior school. It accommodated 513 pupils [1871].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Robert Roberts [1862]

  • Harry Rickard [1881]

  • Miss Emma Baldwin [1881]

  • Miss Priscilla Brown (infants) [1881]

It became a board school.

It accommodated around 450 pupils [1894]

Saint Paul's Sunday School, King Cross
The Sunday School for Saint Paul's Church, King Cross. The foundation stone was laid on 3rd October 1925

Saint Paul's Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School, Brighouse
King Street/Lawson Road. Designed by A. G. Sladdin. It was built by Fearnley Brothers on the site of the their yard. Opened in 1914 to serve Saint Paul's Methodist Chapel.

In 1938, it was used as Borough Magistrates Court.

From 1949, when the Chapel closed, it was used solely as the Council property.

The magistrates court here closed on 30th December 1992.

There were proposals to build a supermarket, but covenants on the building prevented the sale of alcohol.

It was subsequently used by the Salvation Army

Saint Peter's Church of England (VA) Infant School, Sowerby
Saint Peter's Avenue.

Aka Saint Peter's School, Sowerby.

The school was built in 1859. It was enlarged later. It accommodated 308 children.

Recorded in 1917.

In Summer 2002, the school merged with Newlands to become Sowerby Village CE (VC) Primary School

Saint Peter's National School, Walsden
See Walsden Church of England VC Infant School

Saint Peter's School, Brighouse
A school attached to Saint Peter's Mission Church opened in March 1878 on land bought from the Calder & Hebble Navigation Company. The name was changed to Brookfoot County Primary School in 1???. It closed in 1974 after it had become unsafe

Saint Peter's School, Sowerby

See Saint Peter's Church of England (VA) Infant School, Sowerby

Saint Stephen's Sunday School, Copley
The Sunday School for the Parish Church of Saint Stephen the Martyr, Copley stood near the mills. It was demolished in 19??. Housing now stands on the site

Saint Thomas's Board School, Claremount

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Samuel Tweed [1881]

  • Miss Clara Foulds (infants) [1881]

Saint Thomas's Church School, Halifax
New Bank. Opened on 7th January 1864. A night school was held for pupils aged 20 and over.

A boys', girls' and infants' school. It accommodated 370 pupils [1871].

It became a board school.

The average attendance was 232 [1881], and 208 [1882]. It accommodated around 450 pupils [1894].

See Saint Thomas the Apostle, Claremount

Saint Thomas's Sunday School, Greetland
In 1914, during the incumbency of Rev Flower, a building committee was formed to oversee the building of a Sunday School for Saint Thomas's Sunday School, Greetland With the outbreak of World War I, there was concern about carrying on the work, but it was decided that as there would probably be a rise in prices, work should go ahead.

On 13th February 1915, the first sod was cut and people cut further sods for a fee of 2/6d for each sod they cut.

On 29th May 1915, a stone laying service was held and people could lay their own stones, paying 1/- for a brick, 2/6d for a wall stone, £1 for a small window cill and £5 for a large cill.

The Sunday School opened on 9th September 1916

Salem Methodist New Connexion Sunday School, Halifax
The Sunday School for Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel, North Parade stood just north of the Chapel.

On 21st July 1850, Rev Thomas White Ridley spoke at a fund-raising event for the Sunday School.

The new School was designed by John Dearden.

On 14th September 1857, Frank Crossley laid the foundation stone for the new School. Beneath the stone was a time capsule, a bottle containing the Halifax newspapers of the previous Saturday, a new coins, and a document which described the history of the school from the year 1799 and the names of those involved in the movement.

By 1870, Salem school was so full that a branch church and school in Hanson Lane was started

Salterhebble Board School
A board school opened in 1905.

It accommodated 268 pupils [1911].

It accommodated 173 boys & girls and 95 infants [1917]

Salterhebble Junior & Infant School
Stafford Square, Halifax. Stands behind Saint Andrew's Methodist Church

Salterlee Board School, Northowram
A board school built in 1898.

It accommodated 230 pupils [1911].

It accommodated 145 boys & girls and 85 infants [1917].

It was transferred from Northowram School Board to Halifax in 1900.

See Seth Thorpe Foster

Salterlee Methodist New Connexion Sunday School, Shibden
Recorded in August 1869, when
a new Sunday School has been opened at this place, attached to the New Connexion interest in Halifax

Salterlee Primary School
Kell Lane, Shibden

Savile College, Halifax
Manor Drive / Manor Heath Road.

Recorded in 1881 and 1891, when it was at Grandsmere Place, and Miss Mary Roebuck was schoolmistress.

Also at the school were Grace A. Glyde [1856-19??], drawing teacher; Isabella Robertson [1862-19??], English teacher; Gertrude Ballinger [1865-19??], music mistress; Jessie Ramsay [1865-19??] English teacher; Phillipine Feig [1870-19??] teacher of languages.

There were also 11 pupils [aged between 10 and 17], and 3 servants

Savile Park Primary School, Halifax
Moorfield Street. Established in 1992 from the former Haugh Shaw School

Savile's School, Halifax
Around 1870, Mrs Savile ran a private adventure school at Bank Street, Halifax.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 10 pupils [1871]

Scaitcliffe County Secondary School
Todmorden. Opened September 1958 to replace the Secondary Modern School at Roomfield. In 1978, it became Todmorden High School

Scarborough School, Stainland
Beestonley Lane. Providence Congregational Church – which stands opposite – had rented the building for many years mainly as an Institute for the men.

In 1912, the Church bought and renovated the School at a cost of £300. The church created a Primary Department at a further cost of £60. In 1951, the building was sold to Messrs Cartwright for use as a wholesale confectionery warehouse.

It now [2004] appears to be derelict.

Dame School
A 19th century privately-run school for infants and young children, usually taught by women – hence the name. Typically, the children paid 3d or 4d per week to be educated here. The subjects included reading and possibly knitting and sewing, but usually not writing and not arithmetic.

Some local example include Damhead School, Shibden, Dame Gibson's School, Lightcliffe, Greenwood's Dame School, Walsden, Nanny Wood's School, Clifton and Warley Dame School

Later, the name was used for any school which taught these subjects

School for Poor Children of All Religious Denominations
Recorded in 1860

School of Art, Halifax
See Halifax School of Art [1859], Halifax School of Art [1903] and Halifax School of Integrated Arts

Schools to houses

Scott's Academy
Aka Southfield Academy. A theological institution. Established by Rev James Scott in 1756 at Heckmondwike.

Those who studied at the Academy included Rev Nathaniel Scholefield, Rev Robert Smith, and Rev William Northend.

When Scott died in 1783, the Academy was transferred to Hesketh's School at Northowram. Rev Samuel Walker was tutor there.

The Academy closed in 1795.

It was later known as the Yorkshire United Independent College, Bradford.

See Rev Robert Hesketh

Scout Road Board School, Mytholmroyd
Opened in 1888. Children moved here from Brearley Baptist Church Day School. It accommodated 250 children.

It became Scout Road Primary School

See Mytholmroyd Board School

Scout Road Council School, Mytholmroyd
Recorded in 1905

Scout Road Primary School, Mytholmroyd
Originally Scout Road Board School

Seldon's School, Norwood Green
Around 1874, William Seldon ran a school at Norwood Green

Shade Council School
Opened in 1904. It superseded Saint Mary's Mission School, Shade.

It accommodated 424 adults [1917].

Shade Junior & Infants' School Baths were on the ground floor.

A pair of shoes – a good-luck charm – was found in the chimney of the caretaker's house at the school

Shade Junior & Infant School
Todmorden

Sharp's Music School
Around 1835, Richard Sharp ran a music school on Ferguson Street, Halifax

Shaw's School, Halifax
Around 1870, Mr Shaw ran a private adventure school at Woodland Terrace, Halifax.

It is recorded as a boys' and mixed school and could accommodate 88 pupils [1871]

Shelf Board School
Shelf Hall Lane. A board school recorded in 1875.

It is now known as Shelf Junior & Infants' School.

See Titus Barraclough

Shelf Junior & Infants' School
Shelf Hall Lane. Originally Shelf Board School

Shelf National School
The National School was built on a site which had been given by Michael Stocks. The foundation stone was laid on 2nd July 1864 by Moses Bottomley of Shelf. Estimated cost of the construction was £1300

Shelf School
Aka School for Children of all Religious Persuasions Built by the British & Foreign School Society in 1816

Shibden Industrial School
Shibden Hall Road.

See Dr Thomas Michael Dolan, Robert Leeming, Little Ireland Farm, Southowram, Poems in Peace & War and Canon Thomas Worthy

Shibden National School
In 1857, the Listers of Shibden Hall established a National School at Dove House, Shibden

Shields's: Mrs Shields's School
Hainsworth's Buildings, Cabbage Lane, Halifax. On Monday 23rd January 1837, Mrs Shields opened a day-school
for a limited number of Young Ladies

Siddal Board School
Cinderhills. The board school was built following a public campaign. It opened on 12th July 1875.

The average attendance was 277 [1881], and 248 [1882].

It was enlarged around 1894.

It accommodated 465 boys & girls and 233 infants [1911].

It accommodated 465 boys & girls and 256 infants [1917].

It later became known as Siddal Junior School.

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • John Edward Brooks [1881]

  • Miss Sarah E. Shaw (infants) [1881]

See Siddal School and Southowram Bank Board School

Siddal Evening School
Recorded in 1905

Siddal Junior School
Formerly Siddal Board School.

Contributor Lorraine Kirk writes

there is a mirror – in what used to be the old infants' section – with a note which states that the female students had to check the length of their skirts before entering the class room

The school closed in 2005/2006 and was demolished. Housing was built on the site.

A new Siddal Primary School was built on Backhold Lane, Siddal.

Siddal Primary School
Backhold Lane. A new school was in ???? to replace the old Siddal Junior School

Siddal School
In the 1860s, a school began at Whitegate, sponsored by John Holdsworth & Company, and set up primarily for the firm's own employees.

It was suggested that this be used instead of a Board School under the 1870 Education Act, but the fact that Holdsworth insisted on running the school along Conservative Anglican lines upset the Liberal Nonconformists of the district.

Following a public campaign, Siddal Board School was built at Cinderhills

Siddal Wesleyan Sunday School
It held a jubilee on 5th October 1912

Sion Branch Congregational Sunday School, Bank Top
Southowram.

From 1813, there was an independent Sunday school at Marsh Delves

organised by "a few poor men"

This later moved to Marsh Lane – possibly at Bankfield Farm – and about 1845 became associated with Sion Congregational Church.

On Sunday, 24th November 1861

a new school-room in Southowram, intended for the accommodation of the branch of Sion Sunday School, Halifax, established in this village many years ago, was opened.

The buildings and fittings cost about £400, towards which £230 has been subscribed by the residents of the district and friends at Halifax

The exact location of the 1861 building is unknown.

From that time, divine service was regularly conducted there on Sundays.

A new building opened in 1888. The foundation stone was laid on 30th March 1888 by William Rawson Shaw on behalf of his mother.

The design suggests that the architect was Roger Flather Rogerson.

Closed in the 1970s.

It is now private housing.

There was a memorial pulpit remembering those who fell in World War I. When the School closed, the pulpit was moved to Carlton Street Church

Sion Day School, Halifax
Wade Street.

Opened on 13th January 1846.

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • James Littlewood [1881]

  • Miss J. S. Kemp [1881]

  • Miss E. Jenkinson (infants) [1881]

Sion Sunday School, Halifax
Italianate building. Built for Sion Congregational Church, Wade Street in 1846. A Jubilee Memorial Hall was added in 1866.

In 1984, the building was dismantled and rebuilt with the frontage incorporated into the new Halifax Bus Station, despite opposition from transport unions who feared that it would be used as a mess for bus drivers.

See Sion Branch Congregational Sunday School, Bank Top

Sir Thomas More Roman Catholic Secondary School
Holmfield. Opened in August 1957. Formally opened by the Bishop of Leeds on 14th December 1957.

In 1971, it became known as Halifax Catholic High School.

In 2000, it was renamed Saint Catherine's Roman Catholic High School

Sixth Form College, Brighouse
This evolved from the former Brighouse Girls' Grammar School

Slack Baptist Sunday School, Heptonstall
The Sunday School for Mount Zion Baptist Church was buily by subscription [1868]

Slade School of Art
Opened at the Dean Clough Galleries in 1988

Slater Bank Boarding School
Private boarding school at Slater Bank, Hebden Bridge [1851].

The staff [1851] included George Haigh Moss [headmaster] and his siblings

Smith's factory school, Warley
In the 1830s, S. & W. Smith established a factory school for the workers at their worsted mill in Warley. It accommodated 68 boys and 57 girls

Smith's School, Mill Bank
In the late 19th century, William Smith had a school at the top end of Deerplay, Mill Bank.

He left and the school was held in the old chapel at Mill Bank


Question: Does anyone know to which Chapel the School moved ... and when?

 

Smyth's Charity School
King Street, Halifax. Charity School founded by John Smyth by his will of 1726. This was the earliest charity school in the district. He devised this to the Waterhouse Charity
to teach 6 boys or girls to read

He provided £4 per year to be paid to a schoolmaster, the appointment of which was to be approved by his son John. The funds came from the rent from a house in Ann Street.

The school fell into disrepair and was rebuilt in 1821.

It accommodated 25 scholars [1845].

In 1874, the school closed – the teacher Thomas Firth was given £50 – and the premises were sold.

The building was demolished when Hodgson's Fold was pulled down in the 1930s.

See Thomas Greenwood

Socialist Sunday Schools
19th century institutions which modelled themselves on regular Sunday Schools but which adhered to socialist principles, sang socialist songs and had 10 socialist Commandments.

See Halifax Socialist Sunday School

South End Board School, Elland
Huddersfield Road. East of Elland Town Hall.

Opened on 7th January 1878. It accommodated 270 boys, 270 girls and 274 infants [1917].

It closed in the 1980s.

A supermarket – which used the date stone and some of the masonry from the school – stands on the site and was built in the 1980s

South Halifax High School, Exley
The name of Exley High School from 1992.

From April 2005, it will be known as Park Lane High School

South Parade New Schools

Southowram Bank Board School
Board School at Southowram Bank.

Building dated 1874. A lintel on the building is inscribed


Methodist
Free Church

In the 1891 census, 79 Southowram Bank is described as

School. Part of Sunday School is used as a Board School and as a United Methodist Free Chapel, Southowram Bank. The occupant at that time was David Richard Smith, a dyer's labourer

In 1894, there were 113 infants attending [average attendance 84], although it had accommodation for around 200 pupils.

After 1894, Siddal Board School was enlarged and a site for Caddy Field Board School acquired, so that Whitegate Board School and Southowram Bank Board School could be vacated

In 1921, maps show the building as a Sunday School.

The building still stands on the east side near the bottom of the hill. It now seems to be used as a workshop / storage building.

Southowram National School
Aka Saint Anne's National School. A national school built in 1839. The building still stands opposite Saint Anne's in the Grove church. The first master was George Darley Cosbey.

In 1875, the managers offered to let the school to the school board, but this was turned down and Withinfields School and Cromwell Bottom School were built instead.

The Annexe to Saint Anne's Graveyard is next to the School.

Sowerby Bridge & District Secondary (Dual) School
Albert Road. Built in 1910 at a cost of £14,000. It was controlled by a body of 21 governors. It accommodated 230 pupils.

It served the townships of Sowerby Bridge, Barkisland, Luddendenfoot, Midgley, Norland, Rishworth, Sowerby, and Soyland

Sowerby Bridge Board School
A board school recorded in 1902.

See Sowerby Bridge School Board, Benjamin Sutcliffe and Tuel Lane Board School

Sowerby Bridge Evening Continuation Schools
Recorded in 1896, when the Committee included Rev George Samuel Smith, Rev Canon Charles Llewellyn Ivens, Rev Samuel Field Laycock, Oliver Eatough, William Noble, John William Whiteley, J. W. Bancroft, George Wray, John Holmes, and Nimrod Howarth

Sowerby Bridge Girls' County Secondary School

Sowerby Bridge Grammar School
Formerly Sowerby Bridge Secondary School.

Pupils at the school have included Roger Hargreaves

Sowerby Bridge High School

See Sowerby Bridge Secondary School

Sowerby Bridge National School
Tuel Lane. A national school built to supersede The Croft School, Sowerby Bridge. It stood on land bought from Mr Greenup. It opened on 12th March 1837. It accommodated 224 boys and 266 girls.

The trustees for the new school included George Bates, Thomas Milne, Charles Norris, Thomas Pollit, and Rev Charles Rogers.

The school took children from several local mills, including James Walton's mill at Asquith Bottom, Sowerby Bridge.

Around 1840, an exhibition was held here on behalf of the Mechanics' Institute, at which J. B. Leyland showed a bust of an African bloodhound and his Lady of Kirklees.

In 1893, it was superseded by the Ellison Memorial Junior School, Sowerby Bridge.

See Edward Ernest Pollit

Sowerby Bridge Secondary School
Recorded in 1905 at Town Hall Chambers, Wharf Street [1905].

The school opened on 7th May 1910. Designed by Longbottom & Culpan and built at a cost of £14,000. It accommodated 80 boys and 120 girls.

It subsequently became Sowerby Bridge Grammar School and then Sowerby Bridge High School.

In 200?, it was demolished and a new school built

Sowerby Bridge Technical School
Albert Road.

Recorded in 1904 and 1917.

See William Easterby

Sowerby District National School
A national school opened on 30th November 1859 to supersede Sowerby National School.

See Rev Alexander Bean and Jonathan Turner Naylor

Sowerby Endowed School
See William Law

Sowerby Free School
See James Walker

Sowerby Grammar School
Opened on 4th October 1875. Closed at Christmas 1904.

See Paul Bairstow's Endowed School

Sowerby National School
Back Lane. A national school opened in 1833. It was supported by Rev Joseph Ogden.

In 1859, it was superseded by Triangle Infants' School and Sowerby District National School.

In 1866, scholars from Paul Bairstow's Endowed School were sent here when that school closed for a time

Sowerby New Road Provided School
Built in 1900. It accommodated 450 adults

Sowerby Village Church of England (VC) Primary School

In Summer 2002, Saint Peter's Church of England (VA) Infant School, Sowerby and Newlands Junior School merged to become Sowerby Village Church of England (VC) Primary School

Sowood Green Provided School, Stainland
Built in 1878. It is now Sowood Community Centre

Sowood Green School, Stainland

Soyland U. D. (Ripponden) Wesley School
Recorded in 1905

Spencer's School, Elland
Around 1845, Ann Spencer ran a ladies' boarding school at Hullen Edge

Spring Garden School, Warley
The original name of the school which became Warley Grammar School.

See Spring Gardens Academy, Warley and Spring Gardens, Sowerby Bridge

Spring Gardens Academy, Warley
A school run by Joseph Lefane Singer Greenwood. In 1845, it was recorded that
5 boys are taught free at the school


Question: Is this the same as Spring Gardens School?

 

Square Chapel Day School, Halifax
Blackledge / Square Road. Built behind the Square Chapel. Opened in 1844. It accommodated 340 children and the average attendance was about 120 [1845].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Miss Harriet Bates [1881]

See Square Chapel Sunday School, Halifax

Square Fold School, Bailiff Bridge

Square Sunday School
Sunday school established in 1804 for Square Independent Chapel.

See Saul Blagborough

Stainland Board School

See John Widdison

Stainland British School
Recorded as being near Messrs Shaw's Mill

Stannary School, Halifax
Recorded in 1915, when the name of Osmund Appleyard was added to the Roll of Honour at the School.


Question: Does anyone know anything about the School? Could it be a popular name for Akroyd Place School?

 

Stanningley Green School, Ovenden
Plans were presented in 1951. A junior school opened in August 1953

Stansfield's School, Mixenden
Around 1838, James Stansfield ran a private school at Mixenden

Starkey's: Miss Starkey's School, Halifax
Recorded in the 1950s

Stead's Academy, Halifax
Around 1841, W. Stead ran a classical, mathematical and commercial academy at Bedford Street, Halifax

Stead's: Jeremiah Stead's School
Private day school – known as Jerry's School – established at Ovenden Sunday School by Jeremiah Stead around 1818. On his death, William Parker took over as schoolmaster. In 1873, Albert Shackleton took over

Steel's School, Elland
In 1861, Mrs Mary Ellen Steel ran a boarding school in Elland

Steele's School, Elland
Around 1845, Mary Ellen Steele ran a ladies' boarding school in Elland

Stile Open Air School, Stansfield
Recorded in 1936

Stile Secondary School, Todmorden
Established in 1893 as an organised science school.

A new school was officially opened on 30th March 1912. It accommodated 133 pupils [1917]

Stocks Hall Academy, Mytholmroyd
Recorded in 1860, when T. Greenwood left to become Principal of Prospect Place Academy, Brighouse

Stocks's School, Halifax
Around 1870, Mrs Stocks ran a private adventure school at Woodland Terrace, Halifax.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 22 pupils [1871]

Stone Chair Boys' Day School

Stones Wesleyan Chapel School, Ripponden
Peter Gledhill held a school in his house under Stones Methodist Church, Ripponden [between 1819-1854].

An evening school opened in January 1871.

The school was rebuilt as Stones Wesleyan Day School in 1885

Stones Wesleyan Day School, Ripponden
In 1885, Stones Wesleyan Chapel School was rebuilt on land bought from Joseph Whiteley.

The School closed in 1980

Storer's School, Halifax
Around 1835, Hannah Storer ran a private school at 5 Carlton Street, Halifax

Stubbings Board School, Hebden Bridge
School Street.

In February 1878, this was the first school to be built in Hebden Bridge within the Education Act [1870].

It was originally known as Hebden Bridge Board School. It accommodated 380 children.

In 1884, when the Central School opened, it was known as Stubbings School.

Now Stubbings Nursery & Infants' School / Stubbings Junior & Infants' School.

See Miss Lottie Eastwood

Sunday Schools [General Notes]
The Sunday School Movement began about 1782 when Robert Raikes established classes on Saturdays and Sundays for children of the poor who worked during the week.

Around 1771, there had been Sunday Schools at Mixenden, Warley, and the Cockpit at Illingworth – see Benjamin Patchett

20 Sunday Schools were established in Halifax from around 1792. Each school was to comprise a master and not more than 30 scholars.

From 1804, most Sunday Schools were associated with a specific church.

See Health & Morals of Apprentices in Cotton Mills Act [1802], Sabbath School, Socialist Sunday Schools, Square Sunday School and James Waddington and the SideTrack on Schools for individual Sunday Schools

Sunnyside Board School
At Sunnyside, Range Lane, Halifax. Formally opened on 16th September 1901 by Thomas Butterworth for the Halifax School Board. Built at a cost of £19,229 13s 4d.

It accommodated 700 boys & girls and 308 infants [1911].

It accommodated 700 boys & girls and 303 infants [1917].

The Sunnyside School Baths opened in 1931.

It became a primary and a secondary school in 19??.

The primary department moved to the Rawson Junior & Infant School. In 1986, the secondary school merged with J. H. Whitley School, Holmfield.

The buildings were demolished in 1989. Houses were built on the site

Sutcliffe Brothers' factory school
In the 1830s, Sutcliffe Brothers established a factory school in their cotton mill at Lower Willow Hall. It accommodated 18 boys and 21 girls. The master carried out office work in addition to his teaching duties

Sutcliffe's School, Salterhebble
In 1828, Abraham Sutcliffe ran a school at Salterhebble

Swales's Private School
A private classical and commercial boarding school for young gentlemen established by Thomas Steele Swale at 3 Blackwall, Halifax. Recorded in 1817 and 1836.

A charity school is also recorded with the same name

Swallow's Day School
Fanny, Harriete Blanche, and Alice Jane - the daughters of John Swallow – ran a day school at 46 Prescott Street, Halifax.

In 1881, it was listed with Fanny as Principal, and her sisters, along with Governess Elise Hecommbier [1854-1???] from Elbing, Prussia, and 1 domestic servant.

See Swallow Ladies Academy

Swallow Ladies Academy
In 1871, Mary, the wife of John Swallow, was running a Ladies Academy at 8 Trinity Place.

See Swallow's Day School


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2014 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 09:48 on 15th July 2014 / s70_s / 100