Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Schools & Sunday Schools

R



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Ragged school
In 1820, John Pounds, a retired cobbler and sailor from London, started teaching homeless, hungry, and ragged children at his workshop in Portsmouth. This improved their chances of finding work.

Similar schools were started by charities in other towns.

In 1844, the Ragged School Union was formed and was supported by the chairman, Lord Shaftesbury, and Charles Dickens. Originally, there were 16 schools associated with the Union, and by 1861 there were 176 schools in the union.

See Halifax Ragged School Trust and Industrial school

Ramsden's School Clifton
A popular name for Clifton Free School on account of George Ramsden, the first teacher

Ramsden's Writing Institution
Held at a house in Broad Street, Halifax. In the mid 19th century, Professor Chattaway had to stop enrolment because he had so many pupils

Range Bank Day School, Halifax
In June 1855, Samuel Blagbrough, the Crossley brothers – John, Joseph, and Francis – and 6 other people, bought Lower Spring House Field at Range Bank, Halifax for the sum of £293
for the daily instruction of children in religious and secular, and to impart the truths of the Bible to classes assembling on the Sabbath Day

in connection with Square Chapel, Halifax.

The School opened on 2nd May 1855.

William White Sherren was master of the School.

A boys' and mixed school. It could accommodate 322 pupils [1871].

It was discontinued around 1880 and the building was used as a Sunday School.

See Portland Road Board School, Claremount and Range Bank Sunday School

Range Bank Sunday School
The Sunday School for Range Bank Congregational Church, Halifax closed in August 1954.

See Range Bank Day School and Range Bank Sunday School Memorial

Rastrick & Brighouse British School
Rastrick Common.

An article in the Bradford Observer [2nd November 1837] reported:


A social tea party was held in the new school-room on Rastrick Common, on Monday last in support of the Rastrick & Brighouse School.

The evening passed very delightfully; the attendance and spirit manifested affording a gratifying augury of the success of this attempt to difuse the blessings of education.

The boy's school is to be opened on Monday next

 

which suggests that the School opened on 6th November 1837.

The first head was William Lundy. He left to set up Prospect Place Academy.

See Rastrick & Brighouse Horticultural Society

Rastrick Board School
Gooder Lane. A board school built in 1874.

In 1890, a new school was built at Healey Wood Terrace, Rastrick

Rastrick Church School
Founded in 1860. Opened in 1867.

See Joseph Travis Clay and Rastrick Grammar School

Rastrick Common Council School
Aka Rastrick Country Secondary School

Rastrick Country Secondary School
Rastrick Common.

Aka Rastrick Common Council School. Built around 1830. It cost £300. Half of the money was raised by public subscription and with donations from the local Clay family.

The builder [name not known] was imprisoned at York, after a local woman accused him of being in debt to her. The local foreman left in charge of the construction made several journeys to York on horseback to get instructions from the builder

It accommodated 312 boys [1917]

Rastrick Free School
Recorded in 1845, when it referred to Mary Law's Charity School

Rastrick Grammar School
Ogden Lane.

Around 1500, the curate of Rastrick Chapel started a school in the chapel.

In 1621, John Hanson left an annual sum of 20/- to the Church

for the teaching of a school there

In the 18th century, Mary Law endowed a school in the district and a school was built around 1722.

In 1804, the school was rebuilt. It accommodated 98 children.

In 1881, it was extended and a house built for the headmaster

on an elevated & exceptionally healthy site

In 1894, an additional block was built at a cost of £1,700, with chemical and physical laboratories and lecture room, with a workshop and gymnasium in the basement.

In 1910, the buildings were extended and remodelled at a cost of £5,000.

In September 1985 it merged with Reins Wood School to become Rastrick High School.

The original building is now a preparatory school.

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

Pupils at the school have included

Joseph Travis Clay

Charles Ronald Firth

Harold Hoyle

Fred Job

W. R. Mitchell

Spence Ormerod

John Ernest Walker

See History of Rastrick Grammar School 1621-1985, Rastrick Church School and Rastrick Grammar School Memorial

Rastrick High School
Formed in September 1985 when Rastrick Grammar School and Reins Wood School merged.

The school is a Technology College and Sixth Form College.

See Pauline Quirke Academy

Rastrick Independent School
Thornhill Road. Uses the building of the old Rastrick Grammar School

Rastrick National School
Church Street. A national school. In the 1850s, the Rastrick Mechanics' Institute held their meetings here.

See Sarah Ann Aspinall

Ravenscliffe High School, Skircoat Green
It provides for vulnerable and young children.

In November 2009, an Ofsted report praised the way in which the school

dealt with complex educational needs, behavioural difficulties, disabilities and pupils excluded from mainstream schools

Raw Lane Infants' School
Opened in 19?? to accommodate the children from the newly-built council estates.

Closed in 19?? when the children moved to Whitehill Primary & Junior School

Raw Lane School, Ovenden
Recorded in 1948

Rawson's Factory School, Sowerby Bridge
In the 1830s, W. H. Rawson & Company established a factory school at their Sowerby Bridge woollen mill. It accommodated 19 boys and 12 girls

Rawson Junior, Infants' & Nursery School
Boothtown Road, Halifax.

Established in 19?? from the former Akroydon Infants' School and Boothtown Junior & Infants' School.

The School was built on the site of St Peter Street, Boothtown, St Mark's Street, Boothtown, Martin Street, Boothtown, Luther Street, Boothtown, and Weber Street, Boothtown.

The primary department of the former Sunnyside Board School moved here

Reins Wood School
Rastrick. In September 1985 it merged with Rastrick Grammar School to become Rastrick High School

Rhoebottom's Infants' School
Around 1838, John Rhoebottom ran an infants' school at North Parade, Halifax

Ridings School
Ovenden. Formed in 1994 by merging Ovenden High School and Holmfield High School.

In 1996, it was named as the worst school in Britain after having descended into anarchy with problems of discipline and attacks on the teachers. The local authority closed the school when pupils ran riot and attacked teachers. The teachers threatened strike action. The school was rescued by the appointment of new head teachers, Peter Clark and Anna White.

In March 2007, it was in the headlines again when inspectors from Ofsted, the Office for Standards in Education, reported that the school was failing to give pupils an acceptable standard of education, and the Schools Minister, Lord Adonis, said that

Calderdale Council should consider complete closure

The school was scheduled for demolition in July 2009. Campaigners hoped to save the building for community use.

In November 2010, there were proposals to open the building as a Health Centre.

See Ridings School Baths

Ripponden & District Technical School
Established in 1891 in a large cottage at Shaw's Terrace, Ripponden. In 1899, the West Riding Technical Committee said that
Ripponden did better – in proportion to the number of inhabitants – than any other centre in the West Riding

See Frederick Walter Hadwen

Ripponden Infants' School
Elland Road. Aka Ripponden National School.

The Infants' School to Ripponden School was built, at a cost of £884, in 1887.

It closed in 1980. It is now a private house

Ripponden Junior & Infants' School
Halifax Road

Ripponden National School
A national school.

Recorded in 1845 and 1905.

See Rev Joseph Gledhill, Charles George Hewitt, Hirstwood's Charities and Platt's Charities

Ripponden School
A Sunday school for St Bartholomew's Church, Ripponden is mentioned in 1824 when Wastel Brisco of Hastings conveyed a parcel of land for the erection of a school
for teaching and instructing poor children on the Lords's Day, according to the doctrine of the Church of England, and ... to suffer the same to be used as a week-day school

Several local families contributed to the cost.

The school was built, at a cost of £431, in 1843.

Classrooms were added in 1870 and in 1880.

The Infants' School was built in 1887.

The playground was added in 1910

Ripponden Stones County School
At Stones, Ripponden. Opened in 1???. Demolished in 200?.

Click here to read Thelma Woosey's memories of Ripponden Stones County School

See Henry Whiteley

Ripponden Sunday School

Ripponden Zion Congregational Evening School
Opened in January 1871.

See Zion Congregational Church, Ripponden

Rishworth National School
A national school opened on 5th January 1874

Rishworth Particular Baptist Sunday School
A Sunday School for Rishworth Particular Baptist Chapel was established in 1811.

A new purpose-built School was erected in 1897. This stood behind the Chapel.

See Rishworth Particular Baptist Sunday School Memorial and Eli Whiteley

Rishworth School
Aka Rishworth Charity School.

In 1724, John Wheelwright of Goathouse, Rishworth provided an endowment for the education of 20 boys and girls, children of the poorest tenants and workers on his estate.

See Mrs Elizabeth Bradley, Heathfield School, Rishworth, Harry Ludlam, Mr Masten, Old Rishworthians' RUFC, John Selwyn Rawson, Rishworth School War Memorials and Rishworth School Chapel

Riverside Junior & Infant School
Holme Street, Hebden Bridge. Originally Hebden Bridge Grammar School

Robertshaw's School, Halifax
Around 1835, Henry Robertshaw ran a private school at Upper Kirkgate, Halifax

Robertshaw's School, Halifax
Around 1870, Mrs Robertshaw ran a private adventure school at John Street, Halifax.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 24 pupils [1871]

Robinwood Board School, Todmorden
Lydgate. Built in 1893

Closed in 19??

It is now an outdoor centre

Robinwood Evening Continuation School, Todmorden
Recorded in 1894

Robinwood Junior & Infants' School, Todmorden
It accommodated 252 children [1917]

Robinwood Mill School, Todmorden
Jumps Road. A school for the children of the workers' at Robinwood Mill, Todmorden was held at nearby Arch View.

In 1993, Robinwood Activity Centres turned the school into a children's activity centre

Rogers's School
A private boarding school, instructing young gentlemen in classical and commercial subjects. Run by Rev Charles Rogers

Rooley Lane Methodist Sunday School, Sowerby
The Sunday school – and the new Rooley Lane Wesleyan Chapel – were built in 1877, after Cross Stone Wesleyan Chapel had been destroyed by fire

Roomfield Board School, Todmorden
A board school opened on 29th April 1878. The cost of the buildings was about £7,000. This was the first Board School in Todmorden.

It was enlarged in 1887, 1892 and 1898.

In October 1891, George Crosland was killed as the School was being altered.

It accommodated 1,038 pupils [1917].

It was demolished in the 1970s. The local health centre now stands on the site.

See Todmorden & Hebden Bridge School Board

Roomfield Council School, Todmorden
Recorded in 1905

Roomfield Higher Grade School

See Joshua Holden

Roomfield Junior School
Todmorden.

See Memories Sport at Roomfield Schoolyard

Roomfield Secondary School, Todmorden
Recorded in 1905

Ross's School, Halifax
Around 1850, the Misses Ross ran a school at Horton Street, Halifax

Rothery's: Betty Rothery's School, Wainstalls
19th century girls' school run by Betty Rothery

Rothery's: Sam Rothery's School, Wainstalls
See Kell School, Wainstalls and Sam Rothery

Rouse's: Misses Rouse Girls' School
School and kindergarten run by Miss Alice Maud Rouse, Miss Annie Louise Rouse, and Miss Gertrude Jane Rouse - the daughters of Joshua Charles Rouse – from their home at Inglemoor, Halifax.

Recorded in 1905, 1907 and 1911.

It accommodated around 96 pupils, girls up to 19 years of age, and boys up to 9 [1907].

In 1911, the staff at the school includes 2 Sick Nurses: Mary Robb Keir [aged 31] from Perth, Scotland, and Gertrude Norris [aged 27] from Herne Hill, London.

Rupin Riding School
Their horses were stabled at Warley Croft. They subsequently moved to Littlemoor Farm and Mount Tabor

Ryburn Valley High School, Sowerby
St Peter's Avenue

Ryburne House Seminary
Established by Charlotte Broadhead in 1870


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 11:28 on 26th July 2017 / s70_r / 39