Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Schools & Sunday Schools

N



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Nanny Wood's School, Clifton
Ladywell Road / Back Grange Lane. A Dame School established by Nanny Wood

National Schools Society

Nelson Academy for Girls, Rishworth

See Mary Hopkins

New Road Board School, Rastrick
The first school at New Road Sunday School. Opened in 1851 by Absalom Lee.

It closed on 31st July 1912 when it was superseded by Carr Green Board School

New Road Junior & Infant School, Sowerby Bridge

New Road Primary School, Sowerby Bridge
Sowerby New Road

New Road Senior Girls' School, Sowerby

New Road Sunday School, Rastrick
New Hey Road. This is a non-denominational Sunday school. Opened on 3rd April 1837. It was also used as a day school – New Road Board School, Rastrick – until 1912 when this was superseded by Carr Green Board School.

In 1872, a Band of Hope Society was formed, but this closed shortly afterwards. In 1882, a second attempt was more successful.

In 1887, the New Road Cricket Club was formed.

During World War II, there was a British Restaurant here.

It is now known as New Road Independent Family Church.

See John Noble

Newlands Junior School
Sowerby.

In Summer 2002, the school merged with Saint Peter's Church of England VA Infant School, Sowerby to become Sowerby Village CE (VC) Primary School

Nicholson's: Miss Nicholson's Spring Bank Seminary
A 19th century school for girls, held in premises behind the Black Bull, Brighouse

Nicholson's School, Brighouse
In 1861, she ran a boarding school at Briggate, Brighouse

Noble's School, Halifax
Around 1870, Mrs Noble ran a private adventure school at Back Foundry Street, Halifax.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 22 pupils [1871]

Norland Church of England Junior & Infant School
Berry Moor Road. Originally Saint Luke's School, Norland

North Halifax Grammar School
Moor Bottom Road, Illingworth. Formed in 1984, when Princess Mary High School and Highlands merged.

In November 2002, the school came eighth in the Sunday Times Parent Power table of northern state schools.

See Crossley-Heath School and North Halifax

Northgate End Sunday School
The Sunday School for Northgate End Chapel. Established on 1st March 1799, and held at various locations.

In 1842, a building for the children of the poorer classes who attended the Chapel was built in the garden of the Northgate End Parsonage.

This became too small and the school moved to rooms beneath the Chapel.

In 1885, the Judge Stansfeld Memorial Rooms – lecture room and classrooms – were built.

In 1896, a non-sectarian branch school and meeting room were opened at Trafalgar. Mr Dyson and Luther Spencer were Superintendents of the School [1896].

On 16th November 1941, the gable end of the building fell through the roof.

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

Northowram Academy
See Hesketh's School, Northowram

Northowram Board School
A board school built in 1877. It was transferred from Northowram School Board to Halifax in 1900.

It accommodated 276 boys & girls and 145 infants [1911].

It accommodated 276 boys & girls [1917].

See Northowram Mechanics' Institute

Northowram Church School
Built in 1855.

The Northowram Mechanics' Institution held their evening classes here.

The Northowram School Board used the building as a day school.

It was subsequently used as a Sunday School and a Mission Church. The bell from the Bell School hung here for a time.

It is now the Community Centre

Northowram Free School
Opened in 1693. It was built on land at Northowram Green given by Joseph Hall. Founders were Rev Oliver Heywood, Jeremiah Baxter, William Clay, Robert Ramsden

Crabtree records that

a Free School at Northowram was established under the 1711 will of Joseph Crowther for the teaching of 12 poor children of Northowram whose parents are least able to pay for their education

Northowram Infants' School
Rev John White initiated the idea for a school for the education of the labouring and manufacturing classes of society of every religious pursuasion in the village and neighbourhood of Northowram.

In 1840, land and property in Northowram was sold to build the school. This was near Heywood's Chapel at the junction of Upper Lane.

Children as young as 2 or 3 could attend the school.

In March 1841, Joseph, Michael, and Bentley Stocks gave land and property at Cross Field, Quarry Close, Northowram

to build a school ... and permit this to be used as a school for the education of the labouring and manufacturing classes of Northowram upon the principles of the British & Foreign Schools Society

The scholars paid a small nominal fee.

Trustees and others involved included Rev John White, Joseph Stocks, Michael Stocks, and Bentley Stocks.

In February 1877, the school and property were leased to Northowram School Board

Northowram Junior & Infant School

Northowram Primary School

Northowram Wesleyan Sunday School
The Sunday School for Northowram Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. The building has been converted into a house

Norwood Green British School
Recorded in 1905

Norwood Green School
A Voluntary Undenominational School built by voluntary subscription in 1819.

In 1876, Mrs Martha Aspinall and her son, Thomas, gave the school and land for use as a school of the Congregational Church.

It was enlarged in 1882.

In 1897, Ellis Memorial Clock Tower was erected.

The school closed in 1983. It was demolished in 1986. Flats were built on the site, but the clock tower remains


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2014 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 11:11 on 5th May 2014 / s70_n / 16