Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Schools & Sunday Schools

M



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Magnier's School, Halifax
Language school at 1 Harrison Road, Halifax, established by Alphonse Magnier

Magson's School, Halifax
Around 1870, Mr Magson ran a private a private adventure school at Pellon Lane, Halifax.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 105 pupils [1871]

Making Place Academy
Aka Ripponden Commercial College.

The commercial academy was opened at Making Place on 25th January 1838 by Elizabeth and William Dove for 12 pupils. Mrs Dove attended to the domestic tasks at the school.

It became one of the country's most progressive commercial colleges.

In 1851, there were 80 pupils and around 30 staff.

The staff included masters and professors in

  • Chemistry
  • Classics
  • Dancing
  • Drawing & Surveying
  • Drilling (exercise) 
  • English Grammar
  • English, Literature & Law
  • Geography
  • German
  • History
  • Mathematics
  • Practical Engineering & Mechanics
  • Riding
  • Singing
  • Preparing scholars for Oxford and other examinations

and a Chaplain.

At one time, there were 200 pupils – from all parts of the world – and a staff of 20.

It has been suggested that the school may have been involved with the introduction of Pitman's shorthand.

Pupils at the school have included

After Dove's death in 1865, T. K. Holdsworth ran the school. However, the establishment declined and it closed in 1880.

The Master's House was demolished in 1951.

See Holly Royd, Soyland, Making Place Academy [Census 1851], Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel, North Parade and The Commercial Monthly

Mallinson's School, Ovenden
Around 1861, Miss Grace Mallinson ran a ladies' school at Ovenden Moor Side

Mally North's Chamber, Rastrick
A schoolroom at Rastrick Common around 1810. It was used by members of Bridge End Chapel

The Maltings College, Halifax
A vocational-based college. Opened in September 2013, in the Maltings of the former Webster's Brewery

The Maltings Independent School, Ovenden
For children up to 11 years of age. Opened in September 2008 in the converted Long Can Brewery

Mankinholes Wesleyan Sunday School
The Sunday School for Mankinholes Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built by subscription in 1833

Manor House Academy, Hartshead
Hartshead Moor. Aka The Firth Academy. Private school established at the Manor House, Hartshead by Rev Benjamin Firth [around 1835].

Those educated here have included George Aspinall [1841]

Markham's Grammar School, Sowerby Bridge
In 1861, Robert Dallinger Markham ran an English Grammar School at Sowerby Bridge Town Hall

Markham's School, Sowerby Bridge
In 1861, Mrs Eliza Markham ran a ladies' day school at Bolton Brow, Sowerby Bridge

Mary Law's Charity School
Rastrick. Aka Rastrick Free School.

In her will of 1701, Mary Law left property at Rastrick and an endowment for the education of 20 poor children of Rastrick and Brighouse to read and write. The children were chosen by the trustees.

See Samuel Fryer, Thomas Theodore Ormerod and Rastrick Grammar School

Mason's School, Halifax
Around 1870, Mrs Mason ran a private adventure school at Allerton Street, Halifax.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 28 pupils [1871]

McKay's School
In 1861, Miss Jessie McKay ran a ladies' school at Spring Gardens, Warley

Mellin's Boarding School, Halifax
Boarding School for young ladies established in 1788 by Hannah Mellin and her sister, Grace Mellin.

An advertisement for the business, dated 17th December 1788, announced

Miss & Miss Hannah Mellin, encouraged by the very liberal support they have hitherto met with, have taken the extensive Premises, situated near to the Town of Halifax, lately occupied my Messrs Winns, which they are now fitting up in a Stile particularly adapted for the Convenience of a Boarding School; and, as the greatest Care and Attention will be paid to the Health, Morals and Accomplishments of the young Ladies, they hope to receive the continued Patronage of the Public

The school was located at Blackwall and at Hipperholme.

Dorothy Wordsworth was educated at the school.

During her visits to Shibden Hall, the young Anne Lister had lessons with the Misses Mellin.

In November 1814, Grace Mellin, announced that the school would be conducted by Watkinson's School for Young Ladies, Halifax

Mellin's's: Miss Mellin's Academy
Recorded in 1781, when Mr Martin taught languages here.


Question: Does anyone know how this reconciles with the Mellin's Boarding School, Halifax of 1788?

 

Mellor's School, Rishworth
Established in the mid-19th century by Joseph Mellor at Lower Godley, Rishworth.

In 1850, he rented 2 cottages in Dyson Lane, one of which he used for a school

Methodist Sunday School, Heptonstall
The Sunday School for the Octagonal Methodist Chapel, Heptonstall was built in 1813. It could accommodate over 1,000 children, with 72 teachers, 4 superintendents, and 4 secretaries. The chapel at that time had over 400 members

Middle Dean Street Sunday School
West Vale. The Sunday School for Middle Dean Street United Methodist Chapel. Built in 18??

Midgley Board School
Lane Ends. Built in 1877. This superseded the day school which had been established at Midgley Co-operative Hall

Midgley Council School
Opened in 1877.

The Pace Egg Play was revived here in the 1930s

Midgley's Grammar School, Halifax
In the 16th century, an almshouse and grammar school were built near Halifax Parish Church under the will of John Midgley


Question: Can anyone tell me anything about the school?

 

Midgley Junior School
Jim Allen Lane

Midgley National School
A national school recorded in 1857

Mile Thorn Infants' School
(Possibly) the original name of Queens Road Board School

Mill Bank School
Built in 1850. It accommodated 220 children.

Recorded in 1917

Mill Bank Wesleyan School
Recorded in 1900

Milne's School, Halifax
Around 1830, Samuel Milne ran a private school at 7 Arches Street, Halifax

Misdale's Dancing School
Around 1830, Richard Misdale ran a dancing school in Halifax

Mitchell's School, Halifax
Eleanor Mitchell ran a school at Crown Street, Halifax [1822]

Mixenden Board School
A board school built in 1877. It was transferred from Ovenden School Board to Halifax in 1892. It accommodated 270 boys & girls and 168 infants [1917]

It accommodated 393 pupils [1911].

It accommodated 135 mixed & infants [1936]

Mixenden Community Primary School
Opened in 1877 by Ovenden School Board.

After poor performances, there were plans to close the school in 2004. In 2005, it merged with Ash Green School, Mixenden becoming Ash Green Upper School

Mixenden Council School
Recorded 1904-1964.

See Major C. R. Carr and Mixenden Board School

Mixenden Evening School
Recorded in 1905

Mixenden Sunday School
Chapel Sunday School. Established in 1771. Along with Warley Sunday School, it was one of the first Sunday Schools in the district

Molly North's Sunday School
An 18th century Sunday school was held at Molly North's house on Rastrick Common

Monitorial school
A school – such as the British Schools and National Schools of Joseph Lancaster and Andrew Bell – which used a system whereby a teacher controlled large numbers of pupils with the aid of a monitor, a brighter and older child

Moor End Sunday School, Pellon
In 1769, a Sunday school was established at Moor End Congregational Church, with Benjamin Patchett as a voluntary teacher. This was probably the first Sunday school in the Halifax parish

The Sunday School Room was built in 1821, and enlarged in 1848

Moorhouse's Academy, Hebden Bridge
In 1861, John Moorhouse ran an academy in Hebden Bridge

Moorside Board School
Opened in 1887. Ovenden. It was transferred from Ovenden School Board to Halifax in 1892.

It accommodated around 600 pupils [1894].

It accommodated 359 boys & girls and 266 infants [1911].

It accommodated 359 boys & girls and 265 infants [1917].

It accommodated 411 boys & girls and 148 infants [1936]

See Moorside Evening School, Moorside Infant & Nursery School, Moorside Junior & Infant School, Ovenden and Moorside Junior School

Moorside Evening School
Recorded in 1905

Moorside Infant & Nursery School
Ovenden.

See Moorside Board School

Moorside Junior & Infant School, Ovenden
See Moorside Board School

Moorside Junior School
Ovenden.

The General Baptists Lord's Day School met here

Moorside Ladies' School
Around 1845, Mrs Langdon and Miss Wilson ran a ladies' boarding school at Moorside, Ovenden

Moravian Sunday School, Wyke
The Sunday School for the Lower Wyke Moravian Church opened in 1881.

Morley's School, Cragg Vale
In 1861, John Morley ran a boys' school at Cragg Vale

Moss's Academy
Aka J. H. Moss & Sons.

Family boarding school established in the 18th century at a house in Moss Lane, Hebden Bridge.

The academy gave its name to the lane.

In 1856, Calder House Academy is recorded here

Moss's Boarding School
In 1829, the Misses MossJane Moss and her sister – ran a boarding school at their home, Field Head, Ovenden. Recorded in 1838 and 1845

Moss's: Joseph Moss's School, Hebden Bridge
Run by Joseph Moss at Hebble End, Heptonstall [1851] and son Edwin [1861].

Pupils & staff included

  • Grace Fielding (aged 13) [1851]
  • Eliza Ann Brewer (aged 12) [1851]
  • Mary E. Tiffany (aged 10) [1851]
  • John Chadwick (aged 13) [1851]
  • John Worrall (aged 12) [1851]
  • James Hardman (aged 11) [1851]
  • Samuel Atherton (aged 10) [1851]
  • John Smith (aged 12) [1851]
  • William Firth (aged 14) [1851]

  • Dan Sutcliffe [1850s]

  • Edwin Moss schoolmaster [1861]
  • Hannah Moss schoolmistress [1861]
  • Oscar Cockcroft assistant schoolmaster [1861]
  • Louis Hornile? (aged 15) [1861]
  • William H. Robertshaw (aged 15) [1861]
  • J. W. Thompson (aged 14) [1861]
  • William Ogden (aged 12) [1861]
  • Richard Taylor (aged 11) [1861]
  • Henry Taylor (aged 10) [1861]

Mount Pellon Junior & Infants' School
The school moved to the site of Ostler School, Halifax, The school was refurbished in 1989. It became Pellon & District Community Centre

See Mount Pellon Junior & Infants' School Baths and Battinson Road School

Mount Pellon National Schools
Built in 1858.

Mary Ann Gott contributed to the cost of the Schools.

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • George Stokes [1881]
  • Miss Annie Brooke [1881]
  • Miss Eliza Wilkinson (infants) [1881]

It accommodated 350 children [1917].

Recorded in 1905 at Church Lane / Kitten Clough

Mount Pellon School, Battinson Road
Aka Battinson Road School.

On 14th January 1901, the Halifax School Board invited tenders for a new school at £31,547.

The board school was built at a cost of £29,500 and opened on 17th August 1903. It accommodated 700 boys & girls and 300 infants.

It accommodated 700 boys & girls and 300 infants [1911].

It accommodated 522 boys & girls and 201 infants [1936].

The name later changed to Oastler School, and then Mount Pellon Junior & Infants' School.

See Mount Pellon Junior & Infants' School Baths

Mount Pleasant School Halifax
Recorded on 1st June 1834, when Rev James Pridie, and Rev Alexander Ewing preached
two very animated and impressive sermons

Mount Sion Sunday School, Ogden
The first Sunday School was built in 1816. The lower storey was a day school. The present building is dated 1887 and stands on the same site as the original school of 1816.

Closed in 19??.

The building stands next to Mount Zion Methodist Chapel, and is now Peat Pitts Farm

Mount Tabor Wesleyan School
Sunday School was built next door to Mount Tabor Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in 1835. The datestone is inscribed
Train up a child in the way he should go

The foundation stone for a larger and more convenient Sunday School was laid in 1871.

See Mrs Hannah L. Batie

Mount Zion Sunday School, Ogden
Founded at Mount Zion, Ogden by John Chambers [1784]

Mount Zion Voluntary School, Hipperholme
The voluntary weekday school was held at Mount Zion Chapel, Lightcliffe from 1850.

It was succeeded by Lightcliffe British School

Mytholm Church School, Hebden Bridge
Colden Road. Aka Hebden Bridge National School, St James's Day School, Hebden Bridge, and St James's School, Hebden Bridge.

The need for a school was prompted by Rev George Sowden. It was built by subscription. The corner-stone was laid on 1st January 1870. The cost was £1,500. The school opened on 12th November 1870. It accommodated 320 children.

It was extended – another storey being added – in 1889 and again 1902/3 when electric lighting was added.

Recorded on 24th August 1907, when the death of John Longbottom was reported.

It became Hebden Royd Church of England School

Mytholmroyd Board School
Burnley Road. Opened in 1879. It accommodated 276 children.

See Scout Road Board School, Mytholmroyd

Mytholmroyd Church of England School
Scarbottom. Founded by William Sutcliffe [1850].

In 1851, 159 children – half of whom were half-timers – are recorded at the school

Mytholmroyd Council School
Burnley Road. Recorded in 1905

Mytholmroyd Infants' School
Recorded in 1845, when Miss Jessie Nightingale was teacher

Mytholmroyd Methodist Sunday School
The Sunday School for Mytholmroyd Methodist Church

See Mytholmroyd Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School War Memorial and Mytholmroyd Wesleyan Sunday School Cricket Club War Memorial

Mytholmroyd National School
William Dewhirst was master here [before 1842].

Recorded in 1845, when it was also licensed for divine worship, and Rev William Baldwin was a clergyman here


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 19:03 on 7th September 2017 / s70_m / 40