Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Schools & Sunday Schools

G



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Gainest Cottage Sunday School, King Cross
In 1808, the Methodists who lived around Delph Hill built a Sunday School at Gainest Cottage, Halifax. There were around 200 scholars at the school.

John Spencer and Thomas Calverley Riley were involved in establishing the school.

Around 1815, it was a day school during the week. John Halstead was the schoolmaster – see Halstead's School.

By 1824, a second storey was added. 200 boys were taught downstairs, and the girls were taught upstairs. The children were taught standing and with their toes along a line chalked in the floor – hence toe the line.

The group subsequently bought Christ Church, King Cross [1840].

In 1857, a new Sunday School was opened. This became too small and was extended in 1870.

A new School was begun in May 1904

Garlick's School, Halifax
In 1835, the Misses GarlickSarah and Ann – set up a private school in Halifax.

The school was at their home in Square Road, Halifax [1835, 1841], Trinity Place, Halifax [1846, 1850], and 7 Trinity Row, Halifax [1851].

The school was still in existence in 1854

The Gas College, Halifax
Gas engineering correspondence college. Recorded in 1936, when they were at Equitable Chambers, Central Street

General Baptist Sabbath School, Halifax
Recorded in August 1848, when Rev Josiah Pike (the resident minister) and Rev R. Ingham (of Louth but formerly resident in Halifax) pleaded the cause of the school at the annual collection. They raised £8.

General Baptists Lord's Day School, Ovenden
Established in 1846 at a cottage in Sod House Green by groups of Baptists from Heptonstall Slack, Birchcliffe and Queensbury. The group subsequently held their meetings at Ovenden Mechanics' Institute and at Moorside School

Gibson's: Dame Gibson's School, Lightcliffe
Run by Dame Gibson. She charged 3/6d per quarter.

Those who attended the school included Rev John Lister

Gibson's: Jackie Gibson School of Dancing
Recorded in 1998, when the school was at 24 Clare Road, Halifax and The Ukrainian Club, Queens Road

Gibson's School, Halifax
In 1874, Jane and Eliza Gibson ran a school at 9 Wilton Street, Halifax

Girls' High School, Halifax
Recorded in 1881 at 34 Clare Road, when Miss Sarah A. Robinson was headmistress.

At that time, there were 4 boarders, 4 servants and the following teachers

  • Rose Tillyard [aged 23] Kindergarten Mistress
  • Gertrude W. R. H. Abrahale [aged 22] English Mistress [aged Born Canada]
  • Mary Nale [aged 21] Mathematical Mistress
  • Jessie M. Bassett [aged 21] German Mistress
  • Annie R. Fussell [aged 19] Latin Mistress
  • Emma Waters [aged 50] Companion Governess

See Halifax High School for Girls

The Gleddings School
Established around 1960 when Miss Edith Annie Oakley's Bermondsey House School moved to The Gleddings, Halifax.

This is now a private school

Gledhill's School, Halifax
In 1851, Elizabeth Gledhill was teacher (proprietor?) of a private school in Kingston, Halifax.

At that time, she was assisted by Jane Sladden [b 1834] (servant), and the scholars included

  • Mary Huglings [b 1837] (from Halifax) 
  • George Metcalfe [b 1845] (Halifax) 

Gooch's School, Halifax
16 Blackwall / 10 Harrison Road, Halifax.

Mrs Smith & Miss Gooch's School for Young Gentleman was recorded in 1841. This was run by Mrs Anne Gooch and her daughters.

See Arthur Selby McCrea

Good Shepherd Industrial School, Southowram

Grace Ramsden's Endowed School
A charity school for the instruction – to read the English language, to write a plain legible hand, and to understand common arithmetic – to 24 poor boys of the township of Elland-cum-Greetland was founded in 1734 by the will of Grace Ramsden.

Money was provided: £40 for purchasing or erecting a schoolhouse, £20 per annum, for a schoolmaster – a good grammar scholar – to teach the Catechism, for each boy to receive a Bible, a Book of Common Prayer, and a copy of The Whole Duty of Man, for stationery for the school, £7 for coals for school, and for the upkeep of the premises. The money came from her property – a farm and moorland allotments – in Bingley. The trustees included Sir John Lister Kaye.

The first master was Thomas Ismay. Later master included

The school was known as the Back o' th' Church school because it was adjacent to Elland Parish Church.

In 1809, further property was bought.

In 1829, it comprised a dwelling-house for the master, a schoolroom, and a garden.

Between 1815-1817 and again in 1891, the school was almost rebuilt.

In 1916, it was enlarged for 61 boys.

In 1966, the school was forced to close for economic reasons.

In 1967, the playground was converted into a council car park.

The building has subsequently been used by St John Ambulance Brigade, the Red Cross, and a children's day nursery.

See Elland Sunday School

Grammar School
A school where Latin grammar was taught. Many of these – such as Heath Grammar School – were established during the Tudor period.

There were several local examples.

Some modern schools still retain the name, but not the Latin language.

See Petty School and Public School

Greenwood's Academy, Halifax
Thomas Benjamin Greenwood ran an Academy at 8 Carlton Street, Halifax [1830] and at Longfield Academy at Longfield House, Halifax [1850]

Greenwood's Academy, Stansfield
Around 1861, John Greenwood ran an Academy at Willow Bank, Stansfield

Greenwood's School, Clifton
In 1840, C. Greenwood ran a gentlemen's boarding and day school in Clifton

Greenwood's School, Halifax
Around 1838, Margaret Greenwood ran a private school at 14 Hopwood Lane, Halifax

Greenwood's School, Illingworth
Around 1838, J. Greenwood ran a private school at Illingworth

Greenwood's Dame School, Walsden
Butcher Hill. Established around 1850 by Hannah Greenwood at her home

Greetland Board School
Opened 5th September 1898.

See Greetland School Board

Greetland Council Schools
Recorded in 1905

Greetland Primary School
School Street

Greetland Sunday School
Dated 1915

Grove House Academy, Halifax
Aka Mr Field's Grove House Academy Established by Mr Field.

Pupils included


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 18:38 on 17th April 2017 / s70_g / 18