Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Schools & Sunday Schools

E



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Earnshaw's: Misses Earnshaw's School, Brighouse
Around 1845, the Misses Earnshaw ran a ladies' day school at New Road

Eastfield School
Stoney Lane, Lightcliffe. In 1985, it became Hipperholme & Lightcliffe High School

Eastwood Board School, Stansfield
Board school. Recorded in 1876 and 1897.

See Thomas Greenwood

Eastwood School
Built in 1879. It accommodated 339 children [1917].

Demolished in 19??

Ebenezer Methodist Sunday School, Northowram
The Sunday School for Ebenezer Methodist Church opened on 15th July 1933

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Sunday Schools, Halifax
The Sunday schools – and the Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel alongside – were designed by Walsh & Maddock, and opened in 1922

Edleston's School
By 1871, widow Jane Edleston was running a school at 18 Bank House Lane, Salterhebble.

In 1871, she was assisted by her daughter, Mary Ann. They had a boarder, Thomas Kershaw [aged 7].

In 1881, the pupils/boarders included

  • Mary J. Shaw [aged 11]
  • Florence Shaw [aged 9]
  • Mary Sugden [aged 12]
  • Henry Hodgson & Milford Ayrton, sons of John Henry Wadsworth
  • Walter Butterworth [aged 8]
  • Arthur Butterworth [aged 7]

By 1891, the family had moved to Burnley

Elim School, Warley
Recorded in 1901, when 2 single women teachers at Elim SchoolAnnie Eaton [b 1865] from Tunstall Staffs and Adelaide Frazer [b 1873] from Oldham - were living at 2 Parsonage Cottage, Warley


Question: Does anyone know anything about the School?

 

Elise's Infants' School
Around 1830, Elizabeth Elise ran an infants' school at North Parade, Halifax [1830, 1838]

Elland Board School

Elland Church of England Junior & Infant School
Westgate, Elland

Elland Grammar School
Westgate.

Established as a Dissenting school in 1712.

It was demolished in 1865.

A new school was built in 1894.

It was later known as the Brooksbank Institute.

In 1933, Brooksbank School became known as Elland Grammar School.

See J. Stewart Ross

Elland National School
Westgate. A national school founded in 1846 and opened on the last day of that year. It cost £1,200 to build. It was enlarged in 1895 at a cost of £3,000. It accommodated 237 boys, 219 girls and 250 infants [1917].

It was damaged by fire in 1942. Pupils were moved to the Brooksbank Institute and other local schools.

The sun-dial from Box Hall, Elland was erected here in 1935. It was lost following the fire.

The school was rebuilt and became a Church of England school.

See David Bastide, Lower Edge National School, Elland, Frances Thornhill's Charity School and Samuel Thornton

Elland Dame School, Upper Edge
Recorded in 1851 and 1861, when Mary Shackleton was a mistress here

Elland Secondary School
Aka Elland & District Secondary School. In 1922, Brooksbank School became Elland Secondary School after merging with a local girls' school. On 1/11/1933, the School changed its name to The Grammar School, Elland

Elland Secondary School for Girls
Recorded in 1905 at Wakefield Road / Upper Edge

Elland Sunday School
In her Olde Eland, Lucy Hamerton writes about the Sunday School attached to Elland Parish Church and records that, in the 19th century, the Sunday School for girls was held in Grace Ramsden's School. The boys' school was held in the Old Prison, then in a room in Casson Place, then in the Jepson Lane Baptist Chapel.

See Tomazia Holroyd and Provident Independent Sunday School, Elland

Elland Wesleyan Sunday School
The Sunday School for Elland Wesleyan Church was built in 1825

Ellison Memorial Schools, Sowerby Bridge
Tuel Lane. Church schools.

Opened in 1893, superseding Sowerby Bridge National School. The school was named for Rev John Ellison.

The building housed 3 separate schools: Sowerby Bridge Mechanics' Institute on the ground floor; the infants' and girls' school on the first floor; the boys' school on the second floor.

In 1932, the boys and the senior girls moved out, leaving the infants and junior girls.

In 1958, the West Riding County Council announced plans to close the school, and, despite a fierce campaign by parents and church officials, the local education committee held firm, but in May 1960, the committee was overruled by the Ministry of Education and the school stayed.

In 1971, the school closed and Christ Church Junior School opened.

It was demolished in 1973.

The steps of the school can still be seen between Beech Road and Tuel Lane.

A plaque recording the laying of the foundation stones, stands in the churchyard at Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge

Empsall's: Miss Empsall's Academy
A 19th century school for girls held in St Martin's Terrace, Brighouse

Emsley's: Miss Emsley's School
Recorded in 1916, when the pupils of Miss Emsley of 37 Clapton Avenue, Halifax presented a concert in aid of local war charities

English School, Sowerby

See William Shackleton

Evening Classes
In 1856, the evening classes provided by the Halifax Mechanics' Institute included Writing & Arithmetic and Reading for Juveniles and Adults, and Mathematical, History, Grammar, Drawing, and French. for adults.

In 1886, Rev Francis England Millson was a prime mover in establishing evening classes for boys and girls over the age of 13.

The first classes were held at Queens Road Board School, Lee Mount Board School, and Akroyd Place School.

The 2d weekly fee was refunded if the scholar achieved 100% attendance

Ewood Hall Ladies' School, Luddenden
Recorded in 1851, when Elizabeth wylde attended the school

Ewood Malt Kiln School, Todmorden
Established in 1842.

See Ewood Mill, Stansfield and Miss Sarah Greenbank

Ewood School, Midgley
Recorded in 1857

Exley County Secondary Modern School
Aka Exley High School

Exley High School
Park Lane. Aka Exley Secondary Modern School. Secondary school opened in August 1952.

In 1992, it became South Halifax High School.

In 2005, it became Park Lane High School


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 23:48 on 27th April 2017 / s70_e / 17