Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Schools & Sunday Schools

A



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Abbey Park Junior, Infant & Nursery School
Illingworth

Academy
19th century schools established by Nonconformists to provide a general education and equip children to enter the business world.

There were several privately-run academies in the district, including Albert Place Academy, Bland's Academy, Calder House Academy, Hebden Bridge, Dearden's Academy, Halifax, Dewhirst's Classical & Commercial Academy, Miss Empsall's Academy, Farrar's Classical Academy, Halifax, Fawcett's Academy, Mytholmroyd, Firth Academy, Holder's Academy, Halifax, Horton Academy, Kidman's Boxing Academy, Larkhill Academy, Leyland's Academy, Halifax, Longfield Academy, Halifax, Making Place Academy, Manor House Academy, Hartshead, Moss's Academy, Park Place Academy, Parkfield Academy, Patchett's Academy, Soyland, Pauline Quirke Academy, Lundy's Academy, Prospect Place Academy, Brighouse, Scott's Academy and Vale Academy, Todmorden

Addison's School, Halifax
In 1850, Holdins Addison ran a commercial academy in Horton Street, Halifax

Airedale Theological College
A training centre for ministers of the Congregational church.

It was at Idle and then moved to Bradford.

Many local ministers trained at the college, including

 
Masters at the School have included:
 

Akroyd factory school
See Haley Hill College

Akroyd Place Evening School
Recorded in 1905. There were separate departments for boys and girls

Akroyd Place School
Akroyd Place, Halifax.

Aka Akroydon National School, Akroyd Place Board School, and Akroyd Place Council School.

Designed by Horsfall & Williams. Opened on 16th August 1886. It accommodated 578 boys, 578 girls and 385 infants.

It replaced several older schools in the area, including St James's School, Victoria Street, St James's School, Cross Hills, and Albion Street Board School, Halifax.

It accommodated 259 boys, 265 girls and 189 infants [1936].

The school closed and was demolished in July 1969.

See Akroyd Place School Baths, Evening Classes and Stannary School, Halifax

Akroydon Infants' School
Designed by W. A. Clarke. Opened by Councillor Deadman on 24th March 1975. With Boothtown Junior & Infants' School, it superseded Boothtown County Primary School.

It merged with Boothtown Junior & Infants' School to become Rawson Junior, Infants' & Nursery School

Albert Place Academy, Brighouse
Private school opened at Albert Place, Brighouse by J. Horsfall Turner on Tuesday 18th January 1870

Albion Street Board School, Halifax
A board school formerly the Albion Street British School.

The average attendance was 403 [1881], and 398 [1882]. It was later condemned by the Education Department. In 1886, it was superseded by Akroyd Place School

Albion Street British School
Instituted in 1813. The school was built in 1818. It accommodated 350 scholars.

In 1844, a large upper room was added to accommodate a further 400 scholars. At Christmas 1844, the upper room was opened as a girls' school, and the lower room for boys.

In 1845, the average number of scholars was 180.

Around 1850, the Halifax Mechanics' Institute held their evening classes in the School.

It was taken over by the local School Board and became Albion Street Board School.

Pupils at the School have included

See Halifax British School

Alderson's Factory School
In the 1830s, John Alderson & Sons established a factory school at their mill at Warley

All Saints' Church of England Primary School
Dudwell Lane, Halifax. Rev Canon John Henry Warneford was instrumental in building the school. Opened 1854.

In 1907, it was considered to be structurally unsatisfactory, and was superseded by the new All Saints' School

All Saints' Day School
Dudwell Lane, Halifax.

Rev Thomas Rose-Price was instrumental in rebuilding this to replace the earlier school which had become structurally unsatisfactory.

The school was designed by Walsh & Nicholas and was built at a cost of £2,000. It was opened on 25th April 1908 by the Bishop of Wakefield and the All Saints' New Schools, Salterhebble were opened on 23rd August 1909 by Admiral Sir Harry Holdsworth Rawson.

It accommodated 206 children [1917].

On 26th February 1922, extensions were opened to the school and to the Sunday School

All Saints' National School, Salterhebble
A boys' and mixed school.

It accommodated 315 pupils [1871]

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Miss Blanche Waller (infants) [1881]

All Saints' School, Siddal
Whitegate Road. An infants' school. It could accommodate 113 pupils [1871]

All Saints' Sunday School, Salterhebble
The Sunday School for All Saints' Church, Salterhebble.

In February 1857, Rev Canon John Henry Warneford and his wife were presented with a silver inkstand inscribed

Presented to Mr and Mrs Warneford, by the teachers of All Saints' Sunday School, Salterhebble (Halifax), as a mark of esteem for their indefatigable exertions at the schools – Feb., 1857

On 26th February 1922, extensions were opened to the school and to All Saints' Day School

All Saints' Voluntary School, Skircoat
Walton Terrace, Salterhebble. Infants' school recorded in 1905, when Miss E. Standeven was schoolmistress

Ambler's School, Holmfield
A boys' and girls' factory school recorded in 1861 when Samuel Schofield was schoolmaster.

See Henry Radcliffe

Ambler Thorn School Sunday
Recorded in 1845, when it was associated with Ambler Thorn United Methodist Chapel. It accommodated around 260 scholars

Anderton's School, Ambler Thorn
Around 1838, Samuel Anderton ran a private school at Ambler Thorn

Appleyard's Factory School
In the 1830s, W. Appleyard & Sons established a factory school at their mill at Warley

Ash Green Primary School
Mixenden. Opened 5th May 1959

In 2005, it merged with Mixenden School becoming Ash Green Lower School.

In November 2009, an Ofsted report identified the school as

a beacon of success

Ash Grove School, Southowram
Recorded in 1845, when it was supported by Mrs Edward Rawson of Ash Grove, and the teacher was Sarah Scisams [??]

Ashday Lane Methodist Sunday School, Southowram
Built by the Wesleyan Methodists by public subscription in 1825 on land given by Thomas Drake of Ashday Hall.

The land was at the corner south of Ludhill Lane and east of Heald Lane.

A tablet over the door is inscribed:

THIS SCHOOL IS BUILT by subscription for Children of all Denominations A.D. + MDCCCXXV

It is now a private house known as Ashley House

Aufhole School


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 15:22 on 28th August 2017 / s70_a / 19