Bethesda Methodist Chapel – Aka Top o' th' Street Chapel, Top o' th' Lane Chapel – stands on Victoria Road, Elland.
When Rev W. Styan was Superintendent Minister, with the aid of a few circuit friends in Halifax, a body of Trustees was formed and a site for a new Chapel was obtained in Town Field Lane.
The land was purchased from John Pitchforth on 3rd July, 1824, for £135.
There were 26 members of the Trust, some of whom, being unable to write, had to sign the Deed with their mark. The trustees were
The Chapel was built in 1824. It accommodated
It was enlarged in 1863.
It was demolished in 1879 and the area was cleared.
A new chapel – now known as Bethesda Chapel – was built on the same site by William Hill in 1879-1880.
The No 110 Band of the League of the Helping Hand is recorded here [June 1911].
The building was extensively refurbished in 1997
The Sunday School was built in 1866 next door to the Chapel.
A carving of Robert Raikes, the father of the Sunday School system, which came from the demolished school has been re-sited in the boundary wall of the Chapel.
Ministers at the Chapel have included
|search engine by freefind|
Malcolm Bull 2017 /
Revised 20:51 on 11th August 2017 / qq_28 / 11
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids