|The Old Market|
Old Market was an area of Halifax town centre, adjoining Corn Market and Market Street.
It was the site of the town market.
The name Old Market is still retained.
In the 16th/17th century,
The Union Cross Tavern still stands on the market place.
In the 17th century, Sir Arthur Ingram attempted to obtain a charter to control and run the town's market, but the Vicar of Halifax led a successful protest against this, arguing that the market had been held since time immemorial.
In 1790, the market here was superseded by the New Market.
Starting on 26th July 1866, the street was widened Before the work could begin, Halifax Corporation had to buy the projecting front of Mr E. Bray's shop there.
See Old Market Gaol
|search engine by freefind|
Malcolm Bull 2017 /
Revised 14:19 on 14th May 2017 / qq_101 / 5
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids