Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Pubs & inns

V



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Vaults Bar, Halifax
Recorded at the Oddfellows' Hall, Halifax in the late 1950s.


Question: Does anyone know if it was associated with the Royal Hotel?

 

Viaduct Tavern, Gauxholme
Built around 1837 to replace the Old Mason's Inn The pub closed in December 1965. It is now a private house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Victoria & Albert, Boothtown
24 & 26 Victoria Street North / Albert Street / Haley Hill.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence.

On 3rd March 1930, this, the Black Horse Inn, Woolshops, the Engineers Inn, Cross Hills, the Junction Inn and the Bishop Blaize Inn, Charlestown Road were referred for closure. The pub closed in 1931


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Victoria Arms, Halifax
15/17 King Street. This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1905 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Caroline Townsend
  • 1894: Sam Blakey
  • 1905: Mrs S. A. Appleyard

 

Victoria Beerhouse, Brighouse


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Victoria, Halifax
Horton Street. Opened in 18??

Recorded in 1931, when it was The Victoria Commercial Hotel.

In May 2003, it was badly damaged by fire. It was demolished in 2008


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1931: Ms E. Madders

 

Victoria, Halifax
Aka The Victoria Arms, The Victoria Inn. 42-44 Pellon Lane.

Recorded in 1850. This was originally a beer house. Samuel Webster & Sons bought the pub in 1897. In May 1897, was bought by Brear & Brown for £4,100.

The pub closed in April 1958. It was demolished when Aachen Way was constructed


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Victoria Inn, Northowram
See Queen Victoria

Victoria, Luddendenfoot
Burnley Road. Opened in 1886/8. It was built on the same site as the earlier Anchor & Shuttle.

The pub closed in January 1917.

It later became the Council Offices and was known as Victoria Buildings.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1893: Edward Weston
  • 1905: Edward Weston

 

Victoria Tavern, Brighouse
Mill Lane.

It was a Whitaker pub [1939] when they leased it from Mellor's of Brighouse.

In the 1970s, it closed for a short time and reopened [1975] as a free house.

It became the Barge.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Victoria Temperance Hotel, Halifax
31 / 33 / 35 Horton Street

See Horton Street Temperance Hotels


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Victory Lounge, Halifax
Silver Street. The block stood west of what had been Thomas Simpson & Sons Limited.

The Vic Lounge, or Victoria Lounge, became a snooker hall.

It was a Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries pub.

It was subsequently known as Rosie O'Grady's and Foggy's

It is now a part of Yates's [1992].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1936: John R. Jennings

 

Vine Hotel, Brighouse
42/169 Elland Road.

Built in 1860 as a mill with a house next door.

This was originally a beer house.

In 1867, the beerhouse was owned and occupied by Mr Cliffe, and a licence was refused to Mr F. Barber.

This was a Brear & Brown house [1894].

Inquests were held here [1889].

The pub closed in 1933.

It later became Vine Works, Brighouse and then a private house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Vine, Sowerby Bridge
By 2008, the Calder Bank, Sowerby Bridge was known as The Vine.

By 2014, it was known as the Blind Pig

Volunteer Arms, Brighouse
19 Bradford Road.

Near Sladdin's Tailors in Bradford Road.

The pub closed in 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Volunteer Arms, Copley
In 17??, Copley Hall was partly demolished, and a part became the Volunteer Arms public house.

This too was demolished in 1915 for a new public house, and the plasterwork was taken to the Kensington Museum, London.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Our Home & Country


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Vulcan, Rastrick
20 Vulcan Street.

At the junction of Vulcan Street / Foundry Street, off Birds Royd Lane.

The pub closed on 1st December 1926.

The building is now [2013] known as Vulcan House


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 17:44 on 2nd August 2017 / p200_v / 21