Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Pubs & inns

T



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Talbot, Elland
Westgate It became the Mexborough Arms, for Lord Mexborough who owned property in Elland


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Elizabeth Winpenny
  • 1829: John Cragg
  • 1834: John Cragg

 

Talbot, Halifax
40 Woolshops.

In the 18th century, the adjacent New Theatre at the Talbot was a popular venue.

A group of friends, including Branwell Brontë, met here and at other local pubs

In July 1804, the local magistrates began to hold Court here, because there was no proper Court House. The session began at 10:00 am on Saturday mornings. Later, the Court moved to a Magistrates' Office established at near the Theatre Royal.

On 1st March 1814, several buildings in the yard were damaged by fire.

In 1825, the Mechanics' Institution met here.

The Talbot was attacked by the mob during the window-breaking riots on 6th January 1835. The Jury awarded Daniel Holgate Sugden damages of £90.

James Alderson sold the pub Brear & Brown for £7,450 [3/1897].

The pub closed in 1918.

The inn was demolished in 1931 during redevelopment of Woolshops.

The rebuilt New Talbot Inn closed in 1974, and was demolished in 1979 as a part of the redevelopment of Woolshops

It is said that there were cellars beneath the pub which led to Halifax Parish Church.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

See Banknotes, De Warren [No 1302] Masonic Lodge, Halifax Union Club, Talbot Square, Talbot Yard, The Canterbury, Halifax and The Square


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Talbot, Illingworth
99 Keighley Road / Wrigley Hill. An earlier building on the site is said to have been used by soldiers during the Wars of the Roses in the 15th century. A later building was erected around 1777. It was originally an inn and then became the vicarage or chapel house for St Mary the Virgin, Illingworth.

It became an inn around 1800. In 1841, it was badly damaged by fire.

On 7th October 1925, permission to rebuild the Inn was refused by licensing magistrates.

In the 1930s, it was rebuilt by Glendinning & Hanson.

It was demolished in 2009.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Illingworth Vicarage


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Tap & Spile, Brighouse
In 1924, the original Tap & Spile pub was demolished and the front realigned.

It became the Prince of Wales

Tap & Spile, Halifax
Ward's End.

The former Royal Oak, Halifax has had a succession of name changes: the Tap & Spile; The Royal Oak again; Dirty Dick's.

Tavern
These were sometimes underground in a cellar beneath a dwelling house

Tavern, Halifax
Queens Road

Tavern, West Vale
Aka West Vale Tavern, West Vale Inn.

Stainland Road.

Josiah Bailey took out a mortgage on the land [1862]. In 1874, he sold it to Webster's Brewery, although it is not clear whether he sold the land or the pub as a going concern.


Question: Does anyone know when the pub was built?

 

The pub closed on 18th April 1959.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Temperance Commercial Hotel, Halifax
In 1861, John Alderson was landlord of the Temperance Hotel, Halifax – which was then known as the Temperance Commercial Hotel

Temperance Hotel, Brighouse
Bradford Road


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1874: James E. Hodgson

 

Temperance Hotel, Brighouse
Commercial Street. Recorded in 1874

Temperance Hotel, Brighouse
Bethel Street. Recorded in 1874

Temperance Hotel, Brighouse
Briggate. The Primitive Methodists held their meeting here in 1858

Temperance Hotel, Cornholme
Redwater Foot


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1896: F. A. E. Stocker

 

Temperance Hotel, Halifax
52 Northgate


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Temperance Hotel, Halifax
7 Mount Street.

Recorded in 1922

Temperance Hotel, Halifax
Stood at 16 Broad Street, immediately opposite Halifax Town Hall.

Founded as a temperance hotel by David Ward around 1837. It had 22 bedrooms [1895].

It was a popular meeting place for the Chartists.

The Star of Temperance Oddfellows met here.

The Hotel was demolished when Broad Street was redeveloped in 1957

See Broad Street Temperance Hotels, Crossley & Barker and Mr Etherington


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Temperance Hotel, Luddenden


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1874: Jonas Taylor

 

Temperance Hotel, Todmorden
19th century temperance hostelry at the Oddfellows' Hall


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1861: Robert Brook
  • 1871: Miss Grace Fielden
  • 1877: Miss Grace Fielden
  • 1877: George Stansfield

 

Terminus Café & Temperance Hotel, Hebden Bridge
New Road

Thorn Tree, Halifax
220 Gibbet Street This was originally a beer house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Thorne, Shore

Thornhill Arms, Rastrick
1 Church Street.

19th century building. Opened in 1858.

It was originally called the Red Lion.

Public concerts were held at the pub. Mrs Sunderland sang here.

This is discussed in the book Our Home & Country where Comfort described the Grandmother's Clock which was built into the wall of the hostelry.

The pub lost its licence and closed on 31st December 1937.

It became a residential nursing home. Traces of the original inn sign can still be seen on the wall.

See Charles Singleton


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Thornton's Hotel, Sowerby Bridge
Wharf Street. Recorded in 1844

Three Horse Shoes, Claremount
3 Horley Green Road. Opened in 1869.


It is highly likely that the pub was known as the
Beacon Tavern [some time after 1871]
 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Thomas Gath
  • 1881: Thomas Cawthard [3 Horley Green Road]

 

Three Horseshoes, Mixenden
12 & 13 / 26 Clough Lane.

The pub closed in 1915. It is now a private house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Three Nuns, Mirfield
Kirklees Park.

Originally built in 1497, the hostelry was named after the 3 nuns of Kirklees Priory who started business there when the priory was dissolved in the 16th century: Katherine Grice, Joan Leverthorpe, and Cecilia Topcliffe.

It has been said the Oliver Cromwell rested at the Inn before the Battle of Marston Moor.

In 1812, the inn was the venue for Luddite meetings, and in 1920 a collection of Luddite relics – knives and swords – was found in a ceiling at the inn.

The site of the original inn is in the car park of the present building which dates from 1939.

A recent tale tells of a ram's head being found behind an old fireplace during refurbishment in 1985. Subsequently, there were stories of icy hands, and of pumps, taps and equipment turning on without any apparent cause. The happenings ceased when the ram's head was returned to its resting place. The pub was exorcised in 1991.

In 2016, the pub was inexplicably renamed the Miller & Carter

See Harry Harding, William Sugden and Three Nuns Pit, Hartshead

Three Pigeons, Halifax
Sun Fold / Church Lane / South Parade.

The present building was rebuilt for Webster's in 1932 and designed by Jackson & Fox.

In 2005, the property was acquired by the Ossett Brewery and refurbished.

See James Flannigan and Old Three Pigeons


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Thomas Senior
  • 1829: Thomas Senior
  • 1834: John Holdsworth
  • 1837: John Holdsworth
  • 1845: William Towler
  • 1850: Thomas Haigh
  • 1864: Annabella Haigh
  • 1865: Mrs Haigh
  • 1871: Joseph Hanson
  • 1874: Joseph Hanson
  • 1881: David Sutcliffe
  • 1887: Frank Crossley
  • 1891: George Womersley – [aged 41]
  • 1894: George Womersley
  • 1901: Joseph Kershaw – [aged 52]
  • 1905: William F. Job
  • 1908: Levi John Gledhill
  • 1917: Levi John Gledhill
  • 1928: Levi John Gledhill
  • 1936: Fielden Sunderland

 

Tipp Inn, Brighouse
Stands next to the council waste disposal site on Atlas Mill Road.

See Atlas Mill Brewery, Brighouse

Top Brink, Lumbutts
An old packhorse inn.

It was formerly known as the Sportsman's Arms and then the Dog & Partridge

Top Shoulder, Blackshawhead
Popular name for the Shoulder of Mutton, Blackshawhead to distinguish it from the Shoulder of Mutton, Hebden Bridge

Town Hall, Elland
Huddersfield Road. Stands next the Victoria swimming baths in Elland.

Originally called ?.


Question: Does anyone know the name of the pub before it was renamed for Elland Town Hall after 1888?

 

The pub closed in ?.

It is now [2015] a hair dresser's & beauty parlour.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Town Hall, Sowerby Bridge
4 Hollins Mill Lane. Built in the 1860s next to the new Town Hall.

It was a Grove pub, then later it was a Whitaker pub [1905].

Planning applications show that this was a Grove Brewery pub [October 1903].

It was demolished when Hollins Mill Lane was redeveloped. Apartments were built on the site.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Town Hall Tavern, Halifax
17 Union Street. Built around 1800. It stood opposite the old town hall. It was originally 2 houses with an attached weaving wing. This was originally a beer house. It became a public house in 18??.

See Westgate, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: Jacob Gaukroger
  • 1840: Ann Gaukroger
  • 1842: Ann Gaukroger
  • 1845: Matilda Gaukroger
  • 1866: Thomas Roberts
  • 1874: Thomas Roberts
  • 1881: Edwin Hebblethwaite
  • 1893: Richard Forster
  • 1894: Richard Forster
  • 1895: Richard Forster
  • 1905: Edward Gledhill
  • 1911: Edward Gledhill
  • 1927: Edward Gledhill
  • 1936: Edward Gledhill

 

Trafalgar Inn, Halifax
1 Trafalgar Row / Haugh Shaw Road. This was originally a beer house.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

Much of the surrounding property was cleared in the 1970s when Aachen Way was constructed.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1869: George Park
  • 1871: George Park
  • 1881: Thomas Taylor – [1856-1???]
  • 1905: Albert S. Green
  • 1936: Ernest Benson

 

Tramshed, Halifax
Lord Street. The Tramshed and its neighbour, the Zoo Bar, were night clubs known for their rock, indie, punk and ska music.

During a police raid in December 2003, almost half of the 150 revelers were found to be under 18, the youngest was 13 years old, and a member of the bar staff was 15.

During a raid on 18th November 2005, police found that 420 of the 500 people in the club were under-age drinkers. Several other raids produced similar results.

They became the first establishments to be closed under the Licensing Act [2003]

Traveller's Rest Beerhouse, Southowram
Recorded about 1830 at Bankfield Farm, Southowram

Travellers' Rest, Blackshawhead
Closed in 19??

Travellers' Rest, Elland
93 Huddersfield Road. This was a beer house [1864].

It was a Ramsden pub [1930].

The pub was for sale at an asking price of £180,000 [2010]. The Red Lion, Stainland and the Bay Horse, Halifax were also up for sale after the owners, Deepclear Limited, went into administration [September 2010].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, Halifax
34 North Bridge Street / 37 Park Street, Northgate. This was originally a beer house. Opened in 1879.

The pub closed in 1922


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, Hipperholme
Tanhouse Hill.

Originally the Traveller's Inn. Late 18th century building with mid-19th century alterations.

In the mid-19th century, tulip shows were held here.

In 1867, Michael Stocks bought the property for £1,340 as a part of the Crow Nest Estate.

Around 1915, this was the headquarters of the local Rifle Club.

More recently [2007], the name has reverted to the Traveller's Inn.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, Luddenden
Duke Street.

J. Murgatroyd & Son built a band room next to the pub for their Oats Royd Mills Brass Band.

The pub closed in 1938


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, Mount Tabor
Century Lane. In 1905, it was called the Travellers' Inn.

The pub closed in 1915


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Samuel Bentley

 

Travellers' Rest, Norland
The pub closed in 1873

Travellers' Rest, Southowram
42 Pineberry Hill / 42 Southowram Bank. Opened in 1837.

The pub closed on 17th May 1953


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1837: Joseph Hebblethwaite
  • 1839: Joseph Hebblethwaite – when his house was burgled
  • 1845: Joseph Hebblethwaite
  • 1846: Joseph Hebblethwaite & Charles Newsome – when it was sold at auction
  • 1850: Jeremiah Jenkinson
  • 1861: John Kershaw – [aged 31]
  • 1871: Abraham Haigh
  • 1874: Abraham Haigh
  • 1881: Abraham Haigh
  • 1887: Mrs E. Haigh
  • 1891: Eunice Haigh
  • 1901: Frank Burke
  • 1905: Sarah Haigh
  • 1917: George Albert Bottomley
  • 1922: Ralph Gordinson
  • 1936: J. A. Kershaw
  • 1953: J. A. Kershaw

 

Travellers' Rest, Sowerby
Higgin Chamber, Boulderclough.

The pub closed on 20th December 1934 with the extinction of the licence.

See Thomas George Titterington and Travellers' Rest, Steep Lane


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, Sowerby
Pilling Lane / Steep Lane. This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1934.

The building is now a restaurant.

In August 2008, on account of the views, it was voted the best place in West Yorkshire from which to see the sunset, and one of the top 10 in Britain.

See Travellers' Rest, Boulderclough


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, West Vale
83 Stainland Road.

It was a Whitaker pub.

In 1907, the licensing authorities declined to renew the licence at the pub, but Whitaker's claimed compensation and the licence was renewed.

It was an Ainley pub [1919].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1904: Dan Gill
  • 1905: Dan Gill

 

Trees, Sowerby
This was originally a beer house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Trevelyan Temperance Hotel, Halifax
19 Horton Street / Thomas Street

See Horton Street Temperance Hotels


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Alonzo Gibson

 

Triangle, Sowerby
Rochdale Road, Triangle. Built around 1765 as a coaching inn for traffic on the triangle of land formed when the new turnpike was built.

It is said that, in the 1930s, the tram service from Sowerby Bridge went as far as the Blue Ball. It is said that, Thomas Mellor, the landlord of the Triangle wanted the trams to go as far as his hostelry, but this was not to be. When the service terminated, and the line was being dismantled, he bought the turning pole which carried the wires to the terminus and erected this outside the pub.

The pub has suffered several accidents involving motor vehicles. In August 2006, it was badly damaged when a truck ran into the building. It reopened in June 2007

In November 2011, there were reports of the pub being converted into flats.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Our Home & Country.

See Oak Hill, Triangle, Edmond Pickup, Rose of the Valley Lodge, Triangle Roll of Honour and Triangle War Memorial


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Turk's Head, Halifax
6 Old Market.

This was originally a mediæval house cased in stone in the 17th century.

It was demolished in 1890, together with the House at the Maypole which stood next door.

See Turk's head and Turk's Head Conservative Club


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Turk's Head, Sowerby Bridge
Back Wharf Street. Originally a packhorse inn.

Recorded in the 1850s.

Planning applications show that this was a Stocks pub [1921].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

See Turk's head


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Turnpike, Rishworth
Formerly known as the Derby Bar, Rishworth.

See Oldham turnpike

Tythe Barn, Hebden Bridge
Burnley Road. One of the names taken by Mayroyd House, Hebden Bridge when it became a pub and a restaurant.

It is now a private house once more


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 08:01 on 28th November 2017 / p200_t / 65