Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Pubs & inns

Q



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Queen's Head, Elland


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: Joseph Lee
  • 1894: Robert Spencer

 

Queen's Head, Halifax
Aka Queen Inn, Queen Hotel.

8/15/48 Swine Market / Dungeon Street / Gibbet Street. Opened in 1822.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

On 3rd October 1928, it was sold at auction for £4,700.

The pub closed in 1968


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Queen's Head, Illingworth
13 Mason Green, Keighley Road. Aka The Hen's Face.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 18??: James Rookes
  • 1834: George Wilcock
  • 1851: Ira Dean
  • 1853: Ira Dean
  • 1861: Thomas Hirst
  • 1864: Samuel Hirst
  • 1874: Samuel Hirst
  • 1887: Samuel Hirst
  • 1894: Samuel Hirst
  • 1905: Samuel Hirst
  • 1911: Eli Hoyle
  • 1915: James Rooks
  • 1917: James Rooks
  • 1936: Arthur Webster

 

Queen's Head, Northowram

Queen Hotel, Ripponden
Aka The Queen's Arms. Halifax Road. Built by George Stansfeld about 1800 as a coaching inn. It was also intended to be used for local meetings.

It has been known as

The Ripponden Female Society held their events here [1849].

Ripponden Post Office was next door [1860s], then the business of Thomas Whiteley.

The mock-Tudor timber-work on the front appeared by the 1920s.

The pub closed and was converted into apartments [2012]

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Queen Hotel, Todmorden
Rise Lane. Aka Queen's Commercial & Family Hotel.

Hotel built around 1840 to serve the railway.

An advertisement for the business in 1897 announced

A refreshment room connected with the station by a covered gangway

In October 1897, the Hotel and land were sold at auction. Massey's Burnley Brewery Limited bought the property for £9,700.

It was badly damaged by fire in 1997

See The Todmorden Vicarage murder and White Hart, Todmorden


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1820s: W. Pilling
  • 1840s: W. Pilling
  • 1848: James Hollows
  • 1850s: P. J. Bowker
  • 1861: James William MacDonald
  • 1871: John Copley
  • 1877: Robert Parker
  • 1896: Mrs Eastwood
  • 1891: James Eastwood
  • 1897: J. W. Widdup
  • 1900: J. W. Widdup
  • 1905: Victor Widdup
  • 1907: Victor S. Widdup
  • 1917: Mrs. J. T. Widdup

 

Queen, Skircoat Green
The pub closed in 1869

Queen, Sowerby
The pub closed in 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904]

Queen, Sowerby Bridge
79 Bolton Brow. Opened in 1872. The pub closed in 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904]. In 1908, the pub was reconverted into houses.

It is mentioned again in 1924.

It closed in ????.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Stephen Airey
  • 1881: George Haigh
  • 1891: Albert Halstead
  • 1905: Charles Hollas

 

Queen Victoria, Northowram
Aka The Victoria Inn. At Victoria Place / Square, Halifax Road. Built in 1837.

Boarded up [March 2010].

It was subsequently

  • The 22 Bar & Smokehouse [2017]

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1842: Benjamin Fawthrop
  • 1845: William Fawthrop
  • 1858: Mr Rawnsley – [when the licence was suspended]
  • 1861: Abraham Booth
  • 1864: Joseph Rawnsley
  • 1874: Jarvis Sharp
  • 1894: Walter Gelder
  • 1901: Walter Gelder – [aged 40]
  • 1905: Ben Smith
  • 1911: Harry Tasker
  • 1917: Richard Travis
  • 19??: John Bolland

 

Queens, Cow Green
It was a Tetley pub [1930]

Queens Hotel, West Vale
Stainland Road / Greetland.

Aka The Queen, The Queen Hotel, and Queen's.

It was a Stocks pub, then later it was a Webster pub [1933].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1864: Thomas Finney
  • 1887: Thomas Jackson
  • 1900: Asa Butterfield
  • 1904: Asa Butterfield
  • 1905: Asa Butterfield
  • 1905: Mrs Mary Isabella Butterfield
  • 1905: Thomas Lumb
  • 1914: Thomas Lumb
  • 1914: John Hoyle
  • 1917: John Hoyle
  • 1923: John Hoyle
  • 1923: Sam Hemingway
  • 1935: Sam Hemingway
  • 1935: Robinson Scott
  • 1938: Robinson Scott
  • 1938: Frank Priestley
  • 1938: Jesse Crossley
  • 1943: Jesse Crossley
  • 1943: Victor Naylor Smith

 

Queens Road End, Halifax
Before alterations in 1995, it was known as the Queens Road Hotel

Queens Road Hotel, Halifax
229 Pellon Lane / Queens Road.

The Hotel is recorded in 1869, when

Aaron Sutcliffe of the Queens Road Hotel was buried at Christ Church, Pellon [7th September 1869]

It was a Fielding pub, then later it was a Webster pub [1961].

After alterations in 1995, it was known as the Queens Road End.

The pub closed in 2000.

In 2003, it was converted into the Islamic Education Centre linked to the Madni Mosque.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Queens Road Tavern, Halifax
217 Queens Road. This was originally a beer house. In 1884, it became a Webster house.

It closed after 2008.

It is now a private house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1884: John Collier & Mary Priestley
  • 1905: Robert Spencer
  • 1911: Ira Ackroyd
  • 1917: Andrew Baldwin
  • 1936: Lister Tattershall

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 18:54 on 17th November 2017 / p200_q / 22