Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Pubs & inns

O



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Oak, Barkisland
Steele Lane Head.

This is likely to be a mis-identification of the Hawk, Barkisland

Oddfellows Arms, Brighouse
Clifton Bridge.

See Round House, Brighouse


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Oddfellows' Arms, Elland
Westbury Street / Elland Lane.

Now known as The Drop


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Oddfellows' Arms, Halifax
King Cross / 96 / 158 Haugh Shaw Road.

It was a Ramsden pub.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 18??: David Greenwood
  • 1881: Edwin Spencer
  • 1903: H. Bailey
  • 1936: Arthur Gledhill

 

Oddfellows' Arms, Holywell Green
Burrwood


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Mrs M. Vickers

 

Oddfellows' Arms, Rishworth
In 1857, the Coach & Horses became The Oddfellows' Arms when the Oddfellows met here.

Inquests were held at the pub.

In the 1880s, it became The Cunning Corner


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Oddfellows' Arms, Sowerby Bridge
49 Bolton Brow.

Planning applications show that this was a Whitaker pub [February 1901].

It closed in ????.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

See Sowerby Bridge Brass Band


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Oddfellows' Arms, Stainland
The pub closed in 1935

Oddfellows' Arms, Warley
New Delight. In 1860, this appeared as a name for the New Delight, Wainstalls


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Oddfellows' Hall Vaults, Halifax
St James's Road. Opened in 1883.

The pub closed in 1962.

See Royal Hotel & Oddfellows' Hall, Halifax

Odessa House, Soyland
Lighthazels.

The pub closed in 1928.

It is now a private house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Bailey, Elland
Formerly the George & Dragon.

It is now [2015] a pharmacy

Old Banks, Todmorden
Dulesgate. Run by William Earnshaw before he built the Bay Horse, Todmorden

Old Bore, Rishworth
Oldham Road. Formerly the Cunning Corner.

It became a popular award-winning restaurant [2011].

In January 2012, amidst rumours that the business was about to wind up, the owners Scott and Lisa Hessel disappeared and the pub was locked, leaving customers and suppliers in an uncertain position.

In May 2012, it was bought by John Oates and the name reverted to the Booth Wood Inn.

Old Brandy Wine, Luddendenfoot
Station Road. The building was formerly a mill.

See Luddendenfoot Working Men's Club & Institute

Old Bridge, Ripponden
Priest Lane.

The pub is said to be one of the oldest inns in Yorkshire and is recorded in the 1307 when it was the home of Robert Brigge of Soyland.

This was originally a timber-framed building and encased in stone later. The internal cruck structure can clearly be seen. The outside of the building is mid-18th century. Inside the pub, there is a 16th century octagonal font which was discovered during excavations between the pub and St Bartholomew's Church.

The building was once used as a religious meeting house.

Around 1653, the Inn and adjoining cottages were bequeathed to the church by Richard Firth of Ripponden. The rents from the Inn supplementing the Vicar's stipend. The Inn remained church property until 1897, when it was sold to Ramsden's for £1,775.

The Inn is mentioned in Phyllis Bentley's novel Manhold.

In 1963, Ian and Daisy Beaumont bought the inn and restored the building to its present state.

It was known as the Old Waterloo for a time after the Battle of Waterloo

In 1994, Calderdale Council caused a minor stir when [without listed building consent] they erected a blue plaque claiming the pub was

Probably Yorkshire's oldest hostelry – with an earliest recorded date of 1307

This has been disputed.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Antiquarian Society Transactions and Halifax Pubs

See Ripponden Old Bridge


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Bull's Head, Halifax
5? Bull Green / 101 Bull Green [1851]

The original pub opened in 1738.

It was demolished in 1940 when George Street was widened.

The new Bull's Head was built on almost the same site.

See Probity [No 61] Masonic Lodge


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Cant, Ripponden
Popular name for the Canterbury Inn

Old Canteen, Todmorden
Lydgate. Gave its name to the Canteen district of Todmorden.

The pub closed about 1830. A mill was built on the site

Old Cock, Halifax
27/31 Southgate. Around 1580, this was a town-house built by William Savile. It became an inn in 1668.

It has played an important part in local life

See Old Cock Friendly Society

Old Coley Mill Inn, Norwood Green
Aka T' Wheel Hoile, Norwood Green


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Corn Mill, Brighouse
Wakefield Road. Around 1988, Brighouse Corn Mill was bought by John Atkins and converted into a pub and restaurant.

Construction of a new hotel was started next door, but this was halted around 1996 after a legal dispute.

The refurbished pub opened in 2003 as the Old Mill

Old Cottage, Ripponden
The property known as The Old Cottage, Ripponden

Old Crispin, Halifax
6 Causeway, Winding Road. Opened in 1844 on the site of the St Crispin, Halifax. In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

The pub closed on 6th May 1959

After the Inn was demolished, the interior and fittings were moved to the Shibden Hall folk museum.

See Crispin, Halifax, Mary German, St Crispin, Halifax and Upper Crispin, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Crown, Halifax
Cow Green


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Delvers' Arms, Halifax
Cold Edge Road.

Near Fly Flatts Reservoir.

Aka The Loose Pulley


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Dolphin, Queensbury
This was one of the places where bridge money could be paid.

See New Dolphin, Ambler Thorn


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1874: William Lee

 

Old Duke William, Shelf
It was a Stocks pub [1903].

See Shelf Pinfold and Shelf Tide


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: Jacob Pinder
  • 1860: Thomas Tiplady
  • 1860: William Shaw – formerly a butter factor
  • 1861: William Booth
  • 1864: David Booth
  • 1887: John Ratcliffe
  • 1894: John Ratcliffe
  • 1903: S. Naylor
  • 1917: Rufus Broadbent

 

Old Dumb Mill, Hipperholme
Lister Road / Tanhouse Hill.

Opened in 1853.

It served the valley section of Wakefield Gate road.

The pub closed in 1946/1948

See Dumb Mill, Hipperholme and New Dumb Mill, Hipperholme


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Fox, Halifax
Park Road, Charlestown. This was originally a beer house.

Recorded on 12th August 1866, when a newspaper notice announced

To Let BEER HOUSE called THE OLD FOX INN, Park Road, Charlestown, Halifax. Apply to Mr. J. Sykes, Brewer, Boothtown, Halifax

Old Gin Pit, Ovenden
Soil Hill / Swill Hill.

Built by James Charnock and Mr Holmes.

Graptolite writes

At the [highest point on Soil Hill] is a building known as the Sun Inn. It was first called The Gin Pit Inn on account of a coal pit close by which belonged to Mr Lassey


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Hand & Tankard, Wheatley
Quarry Road


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old House at Home, Halifax
8 Orange Street


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old House at Home, Northowram
Green Lane, Paddock. This was originally a beer house.

A newspaper notice in April 1894 announced

To Let

Free Beerhouse called OLD HOUSE AT HOME with about 10 acres of land at Upper Knight Royd, Northowram

Apply to P. Speak, Mountain, Queensbury or J. T. Ramsden, Brewers, Halifax

Refreshment rooms are recorded in 1905


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: William Woodhead Fox

 

Old King Cross Inn, Halifax
Stood on the King Cross junction at the corner of Skircoat Moor Road.

On 10th September 1867, about 10 or 12 people were injured, one boy died a few days later, when iron railings outside the pub collapsed under the weight of spectators watching a donkey race after the rush-bearing procession.

An advertisement for the business in January 1875 announced


OLD KING CROSS INN
An AMERICAN BOWLING ALLEY
at this house
SQUIRE GREENWOOD, Proprietor

The pub closed in 1975 and was demolished for road-widening.

The Inn is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See John Ackroyd


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Lane Inn, Boothtown
Old Lane.

A stream ran through the cellar.

This was originally a beer house [1870s]. Opened in 1892.

It was a Whitaker pub.

The pub closed in 1962.

It reopened in 1982.

It was derelict for a time.

It was put up for sale in 1994.

It was subsequently vandalised.

It was demolished in October 2011.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Masons Arms, Gauxholme
Built in 1???. It was demolished in the 1830s when the railway came to the district. Some of the stone was used to build houses in Lock Street and Shade Street – see Physic Street. The Viaduct Tavern was built to replace it

Old Mill, Brighouse
The Old Corn Mill was renamed after refurbishment in 2003

Old Oak, Brighouse
Bradford Road. Recorded in 1922

Old Original Masons' Arms, Halifax
119 New Bank. Opened in 1869. This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1937.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Original Queen's Head, Queenshead

See Old Queens Head, Queenshead


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: Charles Turner
  • 1864: Joseph Pollard
  • 1874: John Patchett
  • 1917: James H. Smith

 

Old Pack Horse, Clifton
Hartshead Moor. There were 2 such Inns: The Old Pack Horse, and The New Pack Horse. It is said that the New was older than the Old.

It was a Whitaker pub [1898] who leased it from Sir George Armytage


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Pond, Hove Edge
15 Spout House Lane. Aka Pond Inn.

This is said to be the oldest pub in Brighouse


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Pond Inn, Rastrick
Lower Edge


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1910: T. Jackson
  • 1911: W. Denham
  • 1913: Jack Green

 

Old Post Office, Halifax
The Bowling Green in Winding Road closed for a time in 2008 and reopened in 2010 as The Old Post Office

Old Queens Head, Queenshead
This was the hostelry from which Queenshead got its name.

The pub was demolished in 1899.

See Old Original Queen's Head, Queenshead


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 17??: James Charnock
  • 18??: William Hargreaves
  • 1845: John Leedham
  • 1864: John Patchett
  • 1874: John Crowther

 

Old Red Lion, Sowood
Aka Red Lion, Sowood

Old Ship, Brighouse
In 2007, the Prince of Wales, Brighouse was refurbished and reopened with a new name


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 2008: Mark & Katie Feasey

 

Old Ship, Halifax

This is discussed in the book Sketches of Old Halifax

Old Three Pigeons, Halifax
58 Northgate.

See Three Pigeons


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: Richard Sheppard Glover
  • 1822: Samuel Ogden

 

Old Traveller, Halifax
Recorded on 12th February 1811, when Mr A. Akeroyd, formerly of the Old Traveller public-house, Halifax, married Miss Sykes, of the same place

Old Travellers' Rest, Widdop
Colne Road. The inn stood near Widdop Reservoir. On 8th July 1926, Halifax Corporation bought the property for conversion into housing for workmen


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: John Hey

 

Old Vaults, Sowerby Bridge
Rum and coffee shop popularly known as the Bull's Tail, Sowerby Bridge

Old Waterloo, Ripponden
Earlier name of the Old Bridge Inn.

This is discussed in the book Our Home & Country

Old White Beare, Norwood Green
Village Street. There was a packhorse inn on the site in 1533.

The building was destroyed by fire in 1???.

The present building dates from 1742, and is named after the White Bear, an English ship in the fleet which fought against the Spanish Armada in 1588. The main beam of the building comes from the ship. A door in the snug of the pub is said to come from the captain's cabin on the ship.

The pub was owned by the Low Moor Company.

It was a Whitaker pub [1892].

There was a brewhouse attached to the pub. Some of the equipment from here was taken to the Brewhouse at Shibden Hall. The brewhouse is now a restaurant.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old White Horse, Blackstone Edge
An advertisement for the hostelry in 1891 announced

The proprietor calls attention to the comforts of the Inn, celebrated in the writings of the late Mr Edwin Waugh, and approved by travellers


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: Peter McIntyre

 

Old Woodman, Halifax
2 Foundry Street.

The pub closed in 1912 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Old Yew Tree, Northowram
Lower Brea

See Old Yew Tree, Northowram and Yew Tree, Northowram


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1887: Launcelot Bates

 

Old Yew Tree, Northowram
Towngate


Question: Is this the same pub as the Yew Tree Inn, Northowram?

 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Thomas Copley
  • 1834: Samuel Wilkinson
  • 1845: Samuel Wilkinson
  • 1861: Mrs Elizabeth Turner
  • 1864: Elizabeth Turner
  • 1917: Harry Tasker

 

Olde Shears, Halifax
Lee Bridge. Formerly known as the Shears Inn and the Dean Clough Inn, Halifax.

It now stands below the flyover for the road to Lee Mount.

The pub is said to be haunted by a ghost called Mary.

The pub was recently [2013] renamed

1904@Dean Clough


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1894: Samuel Ripley

 

Olive Branch, Ambler Thorn


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Omnibus, Ambler Thorn


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: William Henry Wright
  • 1941: Frederick James Izzard
  • 1942: Herbert Colbeck

 

O'Neill's, Halifax

Orange Tree, Halifax
5 Cross Street, Winding Road This was originally a beer house. It was granted a licence in 1835.

It was a Stocks pub [1906].

It was up for sale [November 2010]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1837: James Morrist
  • 1845: John Evans
  • 1850: George Sutcliffe Calvert
  • 1864: George Sutcliffe Calvert
  • 1874: John Robertshaw
  • 1881: Adam Greenwood
  • 1887: Adam Greenwood
  • 1891: Adam Greenwood
  • 1891: Adam Greenwood
  • 1894: Dyson W. Ingham
  • 1903: Albert Brearley
  • 1905: Mitchell Foulds
  • 1917: Albert Brearley
  • 1936: John Hartley

 

Ovenden Cross, Ovenden
Ovenden Road.

Aka Illingworth Cross.

From 1818, meetings and rehearsals of the Halifax Quarterly Choral Society were held here and at other local Inns.

It was a Stocks pub.

In 2012, the pub was closed and put up for sale.

In December 2012, it was badly damaged by fire.

It is now [2015] a nursery.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Samuel Blagborough Bancroft and Charles Bartey


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Ovenden Way
Ovenden. Designed by Walsh, Maddock & Wilkinson in 1938 for Webster's. The construction cost £8,000.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 19??: Arthur & Madeleine Childs

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 18:29 on 6th December 2017 / p200_o / 65