Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Pubs & inns

L



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Labour & Health Inn, Halifax
Southgate.

Radical meetings, including those of the Chartists, were held here in the early 19th century

Labour in Vain, Halifax
Church Street. Opened in 1785.

The pub closed in 1927

Lakeside Lodge, Brighouse
Elland Road. The Grove Inn changed its name in the late 1990s because of the nearby Cromwell Lake. It also expanded the hotel and restaurant sides of the business at the same time.

In 2001, it was refurbished and renamed Casa del Lago

Lamb, Elland
Mount Pleasant


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: George Taylor

 

Lamb, Halifax
5 Bridge Street.

Stood on the corner of Bridge Street / Clark Bridge.

In September 1843, the pub was reported to be

the resort of notoriously bad characters

and was deprived of its licence.

In 1859, it was recorded as a beerhouse.

It was demolished in 19??.

The name may have been passed on to The Lamb on Halifax Station


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: George Boocock
  • 1829: Joseph Boocock
  • 1834: Joseph Boocock
  • 1837: Samuel Foster
  • 1845: Thomas Williamson
  • 1850: Samuel Foster
  • 1850: Mary Foster
  • 1855: Mr Rothera – [1???-1855]
  • 1859: Mr Blanshard
  • 1864: David Stead
  • 1867: David Stead

 

Lamb, Halifax
There was a pub with this name on the platform at Halifax Railway Station for use by train passengers.

It may have taken its name from the demolished Lamb which stood in Bridge Street.

The pub closed on 1st March 1950.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

Lamb's Head, Halifax
A beer house at Bridge Street, Halifax.

Recorded on 21st August 1850, when Samuel Speight was one of a number of local innkeepers who were fined £2 and costs at the Brewster Sessions for knowingly permitting prostitutes and those of notorious character to be drinking in their house, contrary to the spirit of their licence

Lambert House, West Vale

See Lambert House and Shears, West Vale

Landlords of local pubs

Lane Ends, Norwood Green
Aka Lane End. Sowden Lane.

It was a Ramsden pub.

The pub closed in 1955.

It is now a private house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Lane Ends, Old Town
Popular name for the Hare & Hounds

Lane Ends, Wheatley
Boy Lane / 13 Wheatley Lane Ends. This was originally a beer house.

It was the first public house acquired by Samuel Webster's Fountain Head Brewery [1845].

The pub closed in February 1966 when the license was transferred from here to the new Sporting Life.

It is now a private house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Lane Head, Brighouse
Originally Lane Head House, the home of the Samuel Leppington

Last Drop
Before 2014, the Lewin's, Halifax was renamed The Last Drop

Last Post, Ripponden
In 201?, the Junction, Ripponden became the Last Post

Law & Bog Holes, Barkisland
(?) 

Lee Bank Hotel, Halifax
Old Lee Bank / Ovenden Road. This was originally a beer house. Opened in 1875.

It was a Ramsden pub.

It was popularly known as the Horse & Jockey on account of the picture of a horse and a jockey which stood behind the bar.

The pub closed in 1946


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Lee Bridge Tavern, Halifax
16 Lee Bridge. Popularly known as The Spinners.

This was originally a beer house.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the Spinners applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence.

It was a Ramsden pub.

The pub closed in 1954.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Letters, Halifax
Shibden Mill


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: Sarah Bottomley

 

Letters, Sowerby Bridge


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: George Dyson

 

Letters, Triangle


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: James Clegg

 

Lewin's, Halifax
Bull Green.

Built in 1769.

Originally known as the Hare & Hounds, it was renamed Lewin's in the 1960s.

The Lewin family took over the pub in 1881. The family – Elizabeth Lewin and Septimus Lewin - ran the business for 60 years.

The ground floor section on the left (facing the pub), was originally a separate wine and spirit business – 2 windows and a central door. This was incorporated into the pub and is now 3 windows.

Rooms at the pub were the Royal Room and the Calcutta Room.

Because of the beer shortage during World War I, women were barred from the pub. Men-only drinking continued until 1969.

In 1996, it was renamed O'Neill's.

In 2000, the named reverted to Lewin's.

In 2011, the premises were refurbished and returned to a traditional market town tavern and renamed Lewin's Ale House.

It was known as The Last Drop [2014]

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Link, Sowerby Bridge
Popular name for the Navigation on account of the chain which was fixed across the canal here to prevent boats entering on Sundays

Liquid, Halifax
Night club. Succeeded The Coliseum in what was originally the Picture House cinema

Listers' Arms, Halifax
Mytholme, Shibden.


Question: Is this the same place as the Nag's Head, Halifax and/or the Stag's Head, Shibden?

 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Little Grace's, Luddenden Dean
The pub closed in 1895

Live & Let Live, Elland
Briggate.

The pub closed in 19??

Lock Keepers' Tavern, Sowerby Bridge
31 Wharf Street.

Formerly the Commercial Inn.

It was renamed for Tuel Lane Lock,

It became The Wharf

Lock, Stock & Barrel, Boothtown
Fern Street

Locomotive Inn, Halifax
11 South Parade / Shay Syke. This was originally a beer house.

Arrol Booth is recorded as residing here [1936]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

London Tavern, Halifax
4-6 Ann Street.

The pub closed in 1911 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: Thomas Fielding
  • 1901: (possibly) Frank Robinson
  • 1905: Thomas Fielding

 

Long Chimney, Sowerby Bridge
West Street.

Formerly the New Inn.

It was renamed for the Brockwell Lane Chimney and Long Chimney, Sowerby Bridge.

The pub closed for refurbishment, and is to open as the Loose Goose [2016]

Lonsdale, Wheatley
Ramsden Street. Opened in 18??

The pub closed in 19?? It was converted into business premises

Loose Goose, Sowerby Bridge
In 2016, the Long Chimney, Sowerby Bridge was refurbished and opened as the Loose Goose

Loose Pulley, Halifax
Nab Hill, Cold Edge Road.

The pub closed in 1911 following the Licensing Act [1904]

Aka Old Delver's Arms ??

Lord Nelson, Halifax
11 Cow Green. Aka Admiral Nelson, Halifax, Nelson's Arms, Halifax [1847]

On 28th September 1872, Samuel Webster bought the pub from Elizabeth Hainsworth

The pub closed in 1919.

This and other buildings in the area were demolished for redevelopment in 1971.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Lord Nelson, Luddenden
High Street.

Originally a house dated 1634 GCP for Gregory Patchett, when it was known as Newhouse.

An inscription Dairy over a window suggests that there was a farm here at some point.

In the mid-18th century, it was a pub called the White Swan. It was renamed the Lord Nelson after the Battle of Trafalgar [1805].

The inn had its own Luddenden Library – established in 1776 – with a collection of 1000 books donated by the local minister.

Branwell Brontë was a regular when he worked at Luddendenfoot station, and he had his favourite chair here. Other regulars included William Dearden, William Heaton, and J. B. Leyland.

It is said that ...

there is (or was?) a chair in the pub known as the Mayor's Chair; If anyone should sit upon it – by accident or deliberately – they are obliged to buy the whole pub a round of drinks

When St Mary's Church was being rebuilt [1804-1816], baptisms were held at the pub.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Our Home & Country

See Luddenden Working Men's Club Roll of Honour


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Lord Nelson, Midgley
Towngate / Scout Head. Opened as the Black Rock Inn, Midgley in 1755.

It was renamed after the Battle of Trafalgar, in 1805.

The pub closed as an Inn 27th December 1932.

It is now a private house. The Foldout summarising the history of the Inn, was contributed by Neil Hubbard


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1785: William Clay
  • 18??: Edward Wilkinson
  • 1819: James Greenwood
  • 1820: John Sutcliffe
  • 1834: Henry Sutcliffe
  • 1840: John Walton
  • 1842: John Walton
  • 1842: John Widdup
  • 1845: John Widdup
  • 1851: John Widdup
  • 1861: Mrs Mary Widdup
  • 1866: John Widdup
  • 1874: William Walker – [1815-1???]
  • 1881: William Walker
  • 18??: John Thomas
  • 1891: William Heap
  • 1891: John Sutcliffe – [aged 48]
  • 1893: John Sutcliffe
  • 1894: Joseph Varley
  • 1897: John Sutcliffe
  • 1899: John Edward Thomas
  • 1901: Benson Bailey – [aged 46]
  • 1905: Benson Bailey
  • 1908: Mary Meadowcroft
  • 1917: John Ingham

 

Lord Nelson, Ripponden
45 Rochdale Road. Opened in 1878.

Planning applications show that this was a Webster pub [1911].

The pub closed in 1937


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Hannah Holroyd
  • 1905: S. Stott

 

Lord Nelson, Todmorden
60 Rochdale Road / Cheapside. The pub and shops in the area were demolished in the 1970s


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Lord Raglan, Halifax
36 Hanson Lane / Raglan Street.

Named for Lord Raglan of the Crimean War. This was originally a beer house

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Lower Bow Windows, Halifax
Haley Hill. Recorded in 1842, when he married in The Struggles of an Old Chartist and in newspaper reports of the Plug Riots

Lower George, Halifax
Woolshops.

An inn is recorded here in 1704 when George Wilkinson paid 2/4d for one pound of anchovies.

On April 7th 1850, Bell's London Life & Sporting Chronicle announced a game of knur & spell with Henry Newell of Halifax, Johnny Sutcliffe of Northowram, and George Dyson of Southowram. Stakes were to be sent to J. Whitaker's Lower George Tap.

This was one of the closest inns to the Piece Hall, and was a meeting place for textile manufacturers and merchants who had come to Halifax to do business. The inn was able to accommodate a large number of coaches, wagons, and around 60 horses. The stables were demolished in 1955. The Yard and the inn were demolished in 1972

This is discussed in the book Sketches of Old Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1704: George Wilkinson
  • 1816: John Dawtrey
  • 1822: John Dawtrey
  • 1834: James Hiley
  • 1837: James Highley
  • 1845: John Crowther
  • 1849: John Crowther
  • 1850: John Crowther
  • 1850: J. Whitaker
  • 1864: William Edwin Foster
  • 1871: John Smith – [aged 43]
  • 1874: John Smith
  • 1887: Samuel Lister
  • 1891: James Hopkins
  • 1894: James Hopkins
  • 1905: Fred Walton
  • 1917: Thomas Pitchforth
  • 1936: Martin Murphy

 

Lower George, Rastrick
Raw Hill / Jumble Dyke. Opened in 18??.

The pub closed on 26th December 1926 on grounds of non-necessity – see Empress of India, Brighouse and Freemasons' Arms, Brighouse.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

David Kelly and Derrick Habergham have collected records for 3 pubs – The George, The Upper George, and The Lower George - the first 2 of which would appear to be the same hostelry.

Their contributions are used in the following list of licensees,

  • G indicates that the pub is recorded as The George or The Upper George
  • L indicates that the pub is recorded as The Lower George
  • U indicates that the pub is recorded as The Upper George or The George


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

In the 1861 census for Rastrick, they appear in the sequence


Question: Please email me if you can correct any mistakes in this list

 

Luddendenfoot Bridge Tavern
Bridge End. Aka Bog Trap, Buck Trap, Bug Trap.

Opened in 1???

The pub closed in 1949. It was demolished in the 1960s. Public toilets now stand on the site


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 12:37 on 21st September 2017 / p200_l / 56