Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Pubs & inns

H



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Hairy Lemon, Halifax
Lord Street

Halfway House, Cockden
Eastwood. Recorded in 1837


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: Robert Sutcliffe
  • 1897: Robert Sutcliffe
  • 1900: Robert Sutcliffe
  • 1905: Fred Helliwell

 

Halfway House, Pellon
Moor End Road. This was originally a beer house.

It was rebuilt in 1932, and the licence was transferred from the Elephant & Castle, Salterhebble, enabling the pub to sell drinks other than beer.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Halfway House, Queensbury
Halfway between Halifax and Bradford


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Halifax Exchange, Halifax
Swine Market, Cow Green

Hall Inn, Todmorden
Haugh Lane


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: John Sutcliffe

 

Hambletonian, Halifax
23 Silver Street


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Isaac Kershaw
  • 1829: Thomas Hemingway

 

Hanging Gate, Elland
New Street Opened in 18??

The pub closed in 19??

Hard End, Barkisland
A popular name for the New Rock, Barkisland

Hare & Hounds, Boothtown

Hare & Hounds, Gauxholme
It became the Navigation, Gauxholme

Hare & Hounds, Halifax
It has been suggested that this was the name for the Prospect, Halifax in 1839

Hare & Hounds, Halifax
Clough Lane / Mill Lane

Hare & Hounds, Halifax
24 Bull Green. The Lewin family took over the inn in 1881. The name Hare & Hounds is recorded in 1894 and the 1960s. The pub was later renamed Lewin's


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1769-1798: Edwards & Crabtree
  • 1798-1818: Joseph Firth
  • 1818-1839: Eli Wilson
  • 1818: Eli Wilson
  • 1822: Eli Wilson
  • 1829: Eli Wilson
  • 1834: James Normington
  • 1837: John Foster
  • 1839-1846: Charles Priestley
  • 1845: Unoccupied
  • 1846: William Garforth
  • 1850: Thomas Jagger
  • 1864: Joseph Highley
  • 1/3/1870-11/2/1881: Joseph Wadsworth
  • 1874: Joseph Wadsworth
  • 11/2/1881-12/4/1881: Elizabeth Wadsworth

 

Hare & Hounds, Hebden Bridge
Bridge Gate. Recorded in the 18th century and the early 19th century. It was originally a house owned by James Hollinrake.

Around 1820, Thomas Horner had a shop here.

The pub was demolished in 1963


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Hare & Hounds, Hipperholme
Kirkgate / Denholmegate Road.

In June 1849, the newspapers reported


in one of the windows of the time, an orange tree with 6 ripe oranges, 8 green ditto and bloom, all growing. The largest ripe orange is 10 inches in circumference, and the others are in proportion
 

In 1867, Michael Stocks bought the property from Evan Sutherland-Walker for £690.

Around 1900, it was converted into a house.

It subsequently became a pub once more.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Rose Cottage, Hipperholme


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 18??: Mrs Mary Greaves – [1775-1834]
  • 1822: James Nicholson
  • 1829: James Nicholson
  • 1834: James Nicholson
  • 1840: T. Hartley
  • 1845: Thomas Hartley
  • 1864: Sidney Squires
  • 1871: Henry Shaw
  • 1874: Henry Shaw
  • 1881: John Butterworth – [aged 35]
  • 1887: Jonas Fawcett
  • 1904: Joseph Aspinall
  • 1905: Charles C. Cardwell
  • 1911: Whitfield Bray
  • 1917: Mrs Charlotte Bray

 

Hare & Hounds, Mixenden
5 Mill Lane. This was originally a beer house It is now [2015] a private house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Hare & Hounds, Old Town
Billy Lane.

Aka Lane Ends.

Opened in the 1840s.

On 14th January 1858, the body of the murdered Bethel Parkinson was put on display here


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Hare & Hounds, Ovenden
Peat Pitts


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: John Wainhouse

 

Hare & Hounds, Rastrick
Oak's Green


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: Jonathan Hinchliffe

 

Hare & Hounds, Stainland
Sowood Green.

The pub closed in 1960


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Hare & Hounds, Stansfield
Holme, Burnley Road.

Originally the New Inn.

The place was used as a Coroner's Court.

In May 1908, a new bowling green opened at the pub


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Hare & Hounds, Todmorden
Ashenhurst Road. 17th / 18th century building.

The Todmorden Hounds kept their dogs behind the pub.

It is said that a favourite hunting horse – (possibly) belonging to landlord William Ingham – was buried in the railway embankment behind the pub. The horse's stirrups and bit were kept for many years at the pub.

In 200?, this was the first Calderdale pub to introduce a no-smoking policy


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: William Ingham
  • 1877: Edwin Stansfield
  • 1891: Stables Clark
  • 1905: John T. Lumb
  • 1917: Joseph Gledhill

 

Havelock Arms, Todmorden
3 Salford. Aka General Havelock Arms. This was originally a beer house. It became the Havelock Arms [around 1870].

Named for General Sir Henry Havelock


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Hawk, Barkisland
Steel Lane Head.

The pub closed in 1937.

See Oak, Barkisland


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Heath's, Halifax
Bull Green.

In the 19th century, the building was occupied by Scratcherd & Company, wine and spirit merchants.

The pub is said to be haunted. In a TV programme in March 2006, a medium claimed to have made contact with Thomas Clarke, who supposedly died after being pushed out of a window during an argument over money

Hebble Brook, Mixenden
The pub has had several names, including

Details in the entry for the Rose & Crown

Hebden, Hebden Bridge


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1864: John Parker

 

Hebden Lodge Hotel, Hebden Bridge
Established in the 1970s in some of the former houses at Croft Terrace. When the business closed, Moyles Hotel & Restaurant redeveloped the building

Hen & Chickens, Halifax
20 Winding Road. This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1911 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: Edwin Smith
  • 1903: G. W. Richardson
  • 1905: G. W. Richardson

 

Heys Restaurant, Halifax
1 Bull Green.

The pub closed in 1929

Heyworth Restaurant, Halifax
Southgate. Recorded around 1913.

Recorded in 1922 as Heyworth's Commercial Hotel & Restaurant

The pub closed in 1926

Hills View Hotel, Halifax
In 2011, the Allan Fold, Halifax was known as the Hills View Hotel

Hinchliffe Arms, Cragg Vale
Originally the Cragg Vale Inn, it was renamed for the Hinchliffe family in 1912.

When the church controlled the area, the vicar of St John's church had the power to demand that people in the pub attend his church services.

The pub houses a collection of tools and equipment used by the Coiners.

It is now known as The Hinchliffe.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Reuben Bramhall


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1917: James Hartley

 

Hobbit, Norland
Hob Lane. Originally known as the West Bottom Tavern, the name was changed to The Hobbit in 1975.

It closed in 2011.

Hogs Head Brew House, Sowerby Bridge
Stanley Street.

Opened 2015/2016. The brewing facility stands in a corner of the building

Hole in the Wall, Hebden Bridge
Stood near Buttress Brink and the Old Bridge.

The name is said to come from damage caused to the original building by the Roundheads during the Civil War.

It was here that the navvies on the Rochdale Canal, and then those of the Manchester-Leeds Railway, were paid on Fridays.

It is said that prize fights were held here.

In the 1890s, the local temperance society wanted the pub to be closed down.

Planning applications show that this was a Halifax Brewery Company pub [November 1898].

In 1899, the new Hole in the Wall was built on the site.

Again, the local temperance society protested against the construction of the new hostelry.

The old inn was demolished shortly afterwards.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Hebden Bridge Brass Band


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Hole in the Wall, Hebden Bridge
Old Gate. Aka The Hole in t'Wall.

Stands near Buttress Brink and the Old Bridge.

Built in 1899 to replace – and adjacent to – the earlier Hole in the Wall. The old Inn was demolished shortly afterwards.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Hole in the Wall, Todmorden
Honey Hole

Holiday Inn, Brighouse
This modern hotel on the Clifton hillside near Junction 25 of the M62 has had several names in its short life

Hollins, Walsden
161 Hollins Road


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Holroyd Arms, Ripponden
Originally The Stansfield Arms.

It was renamed for John Holroyd and The Holroyd family.

Between 1851 and 1856, it became the Queen Hotel

See Ripponden Co-operative Society Limited


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Holy Well Inn, Holywell Green
In 1980, the name of the Station Hotel, Holywell Green was changed to the Holywell Inn after licensee Ken France discovered a well – 60 ft deep – beneath an out-house.

In February 2012, there were proposals to convert the pub into 5 apartments. This was turned down by Calderdale Council.

In ????, it became to Waggon & Horses


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1980: Ken France

 

Honest Lawyer, Ripponden
A manifestation of the Queen Hotel, Ripponden

Hop Pole, Halifax
8-10 Bull Green / King Cross Street.

On 15th October 1843, Bell's London Life & Sporting Chronicle announced that 2 pigeon owners, Charles Hutchinson of Halifax and Ellis Braser of Southowram Bank, wagered all-comers that their pigeons would fly further. Wagers of 2 to 5 were invited, and

their money is always ready at the Hop Pole Hotel, Halifax

A newspaper notice in April 1847 announced

To Let
Inn or Public House with Brewhouse, situated in King Cross Street, near Cattle Market, known by the sign of HOP POLE

The Landlord John Sugden was retiring.

The pub was demolished when the area was redeveloped in 1914.

See The Adega, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: Mark Roper
  • 1834: Mary Bottomley
  • 1837: Edw Heath
  • 1845: John Sugden
  • 1847: John Sugden
  • 1850: Caspar Imberry
  • 1861: Balfour Lund
  • 1864: William Campbell
  • 1871: George Wilkinson – [aged 43]
  • 1874: George Wilkinson
  • 1887: Mrs M. J. Wilkinson
  • 1893: Mrs Jane Holmes
  • 1894: Fred Firth
  • 1895: Fred Firth
  • 1899: Fred Firth
  • 1900: Wright Helliwell
  • 1905: Wright Helliwell

 

Hope Inn, Halifax
15 Winding Road / Cross Street. This was originally a beer house

It was a Whitaker pub.

The pub closed in 1971.

It is now [2010] a restaurant [Inn-Cognito].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Horns, Halifax
Gaol Lane. Opened in 1735.

The pub closed in 1910 following the Licensing Act [1904]

Horns, Warley
Opened in the 1770s. In 1815, it became the Maypole after the local May pole as erected nearby


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Horse & Groom, Southowram


Question: Does anyone know exactly where the pub was located, or anything else about it?

 

Recorded in the 1890s, when it was a Stocks pub

Horse & Jockey, Brighouse
Corner of Piggott Street / 48 Halifax Road. This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed on 13th June 1931


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Horse & Jockey, Elland
Ainley Road.

Opened in 1863. A famous widow auction took place here in 1866.

The pub closed on 27th December 1933.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: Thomas Townsend
  • 1845: Thomas Townsend
  • 1861: Mrs Ann Townsend
  • 1864: Ann Normington
  • 1874: James Holmes
  • 1905: Edgar Marsden
  • 1911: Stanhope Crowther
  • 1917: Ernest Benson
  • 1925: Joseph Henry Brook
  • 1933: Lily Louise Dealtry

 

Horse & Jockey, Halifax
Popular name for the Lee Bank Hotel, Halifax account of the picture of a horse and a jockey which stood behind the bar

Horse & Jockey, Highroad Well
25 Warley Road / Gibbet Street This was originally a beer house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Horse & Shoes, Midgley
It became the Weavers' Arms

Horse & Trumpet, Halifax
New Bank, Northowram.

It was a Whitaker pub.

In 1901, Whitaker's offered to surrender the licences of the Horse & Trumpet and the California in order to be granted a licence for their new West End Hotel


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Horse Shoe, Lightcliffe
Lidget / Lydgate. The inn stood near the railway arch and Lightcliffe Station on the Crow Nest Estate.

It was a toll-booth when the Wakefield Road Turnpike opened in 1741.

In 1867, the licence was restored after it had become a private house, The Poplars.

In 1997, the owners discovered a skull and several bones in the loft. These were found to be several centuries old. It is said that the bones were possibly linked to ghostly cries which have been heard at the house.

See John King


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1810: William Rushforth
  • 1822: James Walker
  • 1834: Hannah Walker – [1772-1853]
  • 1845: Hannah Walker
  • 1867: Mr Emmet

 

Horsfall's Temperance Hotel, Halifax
Mr Horsfall's Temperance Hotel was recorded in January 1852 when the annual meeting of the Freehold Land Society was held here


Question: Does anyone know anything about Mr Horsfall? or where the Hotel was situated?

 

Horton Street Temperance Hotels, Halifax
See

House at the Nook, Halifax
/ Nook Houses. Cheapside.

In 1762, Timothy Hainsworth was party to the lease and release of property known as Nook Houses.

The property was later known as the Rose & Crown

House that Jack Built, Stansfield
The name of the Shoulder of Mutton was changed to the House that Jack Built when it was rebuilt by Jack Brook [1974].

It later became Jack's House, and remains so [2013]

Hughes Corporation, Halifax
Square Road.

Earlier, the building was occupied

  • A railway parcels office [1880s]
  • A tea warehouse [1880s]
  • Riley's wool warehouse [1880s-1920s]
  • A leather and rubber warehouse [1920s]

Huntsman, Mytholmroyd
Midgley Road. This was originally a beer house. It gained a full licence in February 1952.

It was a Whitaker pub.

The pub closed in 1972.

It is now a private house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 14:07 on 26th August 2017 / p200_h / 57