Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Pubs & inns

F



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Falcon, Salterhebble
Salterhebble Hill.

It was converted into a funeral parlour [2010] and then a private dwelling.

See Falcon Laundry Company Limited


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Feathers, Halifax
Popular – and current – name for the Prince of Wales Feathers, King Cross

Fielden Temperance Hotel & Coffee Tavern, Todmorden
Fielden Square / Pavement. Aka The New Coffee Tavern. The temperance hostelry opened on 30th December 1880 by the Bishop of Manchester. It was built by John Fielden for his second wife, Ellen, who was a supporter of the Temperance movement. The building cost £4,000. It was designed by John Gibson / Jesse Horsfall.

In 1884, the Conservative Association rented a part of the building, and later bought the whole building.

On 7th March 1913, it closed as a public catering establishment and was bought by the Conservative Club


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Flashman's, Halifax
Occupied the former Borough Club, Halifax on Harrison Road.

It became Bar Eleven, Halifax

Fleece, Elland
Westgate / Jepson Lane.

Great House Farm was originally a U-plan hall-and-cross-wing hearth-passage farmhouse built around 1610. There is a large barn at the rear.

In 1???, it became The Fleece Inn. There was a bowling green at the pub.

In August 1878, Mr Rhodes applied that the licence of the Old Fleece, Elland be transferred to Mr Thwaite of the Old Fleece, Greetland,

In 1997, the name was changed to the Great House.

Joachim von Ribbentrop, Hitler's Ambassador to Britain, stayed at the inn when he was working as a travelling salesman selling wine and champagne.

There is a legend that a mark on the stairs is the indelible bloodstained handprint of a man called Leatherty Coit who was killed in a fight at the pub in 1700s. The stairs were destroyed in a fire in 197?.

There are said to be several other poltergeists and ghosts, including the grey lady, and the ghost of a pregnant 20-year-old girl who was murdered with an axe.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Our Home & Country.

See Haunted Calderdale


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fleece, Greetland
Rochdale Road.

Aka the Golden Fleece.

In August 1878, Mr Rhodes made an application that the licence of the Old Fleece, Elland be transferred to Mr Thwaite of the Old Fleece, Greetland.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

It closed in 200?.

It is now a fitness centre


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fleece, Halifax
2 Pellon Lane


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fleece, Halifax
2 Gibbet Street / Dungeon Street.

Opened in 1823. In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence.

The pub closed on 19th November 1967.

See Birch Square, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fleece, Ovenden


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: Elkanah Turner
  • 1853: Henry G. Spencer

 

Fleece, Rastrick


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: Joseph Eastwood
  • 1830: John Eastwood

 

Fleece, Ripponden
/ Barkisland. Ripponden Bank. Dated IDM 1737.

This was once frequented by thieves and highwaymen.

Scenes in Phyllis Bentley's story The Adventures of Tom Leigh are set here.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fleece, Stainland
Beestonley Lane. Opened in 1896.

The pub closed in 1919. It is now a private house at The Brow


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Joseph Mellor
  • 1905: Joseph Mellor

 

Flour Society Inn, Halifax
Causeway. When the Halifax Infirmary & Dispensary moved to Harrison Road [1830s], the building was used as a barracks for a time before becoming the Barrack Tavern and the Flour Society Inn

Flying Dutchman, Boothtown
10 Boothtown Road / Woodlands Road.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Flying Dutchman Stables


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Flying Horse, Halifax
8 Shaw Syke. This was originally a beer house. On 18th April 1928, the licences were transferred from the T' Cat i' th' Window, Halifax and the Flying Horse, Halifax, to the new Shay Hotel


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Foggy's, Boothtown
Fern Street

Foggy's, Halifax
A later manifestation of the Victory Lounge, Halifax and Rosie O'Grady's

Folly, Halifax
Pye Nest.

J. E. Wainhouse's home at West Air was converted into a pub, known successively as the Royal, Pye Nest, the Folly, and the Wainhouse Tavern [by 2014]

Football, Brighouse
35/37 Elland Road. This was originally a beer house. Opened in 1869.

The pub stood on the site of the present roundabout at the junction of Elland Road and Halifax Road.

The pub closed in 1926


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Footballers' Rest, Brighouse
Elland Road.

On 25th August 1886, the Masons' Arms, Brighouse changed its name to Footballers' Rest.

The name was still used in 1915

Forest View, Ovenden
This was originally a beer house.

Recorded in 1874, when it was noted that the licence had been taken away some time ago, and the property had become the club house for Ovenden Cricket Club.

See John Priestley

Foresters' Arms, Elland
Formerly the Bird In Hand. It changed its name when it became a beer-house. The name later reverted to the Bird In Hand

Foresters' Arms, Halifax
8/23 Cheapside.

It was a Knowles pub.

The pub closed in 1921


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Foresters' Arms, Luddenden
Brook Street.

The pub closed in 1903

Foresters' Arms, Norland
Spring Road / Kitson Lane. This was originally a beer house.

In 1860, the house was described as

one in ill-repute in the neighbourhood

The pub closed in 1939.

It is now a private house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Foresters' Rest, Boothtown
Or Foresters' Arms. 30 Haley Hill. This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1913


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Mrs Emma Midgley

 

Foundry, Halifax
2 Foundry Street, Northgate. This was originally a beer house. In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

The pub closed in 1905 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fountain, Halifax
Fountain Street / Fountain Place.

A newspaper notice of 24th May 1845 announced

To Let. INN known as Sign of the Fountain in Fountain Street, Halifax, having a large Cattle Market close by, with Stables & Piggeries attached. To be entered immediately


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fountain Head, Pellon
Moor End Road / Stretchgate Lane.

This was originally a beer house at the Webster family's home, Fountain Head Farm.

It was a Webster pub [August 1899]..

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fountain, Todmorden
Meadow Bottoms / Victoria Road. Early 19th century pub.

The pub and 2 attached cottages are listed.

On 10th May 1881, they acquired a licence to sell spirits


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

The Four Sons, Rastrick
Formerly the Clough House Inn, Rastrick

Fox & Goose, Hebden Bridge
5 Heptonstall Road.

Recorded in the 13th century and the 16th century when it was known as the Wynn Inn, and in the 17th century when it was known as Litt House.

The front was rebuilt by J. F. Walsh.

It was a Grove pub, then later it was a Whitaker pub.

In September 2012, there were proposals by the Fox Friends to buy the pub and make it a co-operative pub.

In March 2014, it became the first co-operative pub in Yorkshire, after a share offer raise £130,000 to buy and refurbish the property.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Grove Brewery, Brearley and Windybank


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fox & Grapes, Elland
New Street Opened in 18??

The pub closed in 19??

Fox & Hounds, Todmorden
10 Patmos, Burnley Road.

Built around 1840.

On 8th April 1913, a fire at the Inn caused around £450 damage.

It was a Ramsden pub, then later it was a Whitaker pub [1937].

The pub was rebuilt by Walsh, Wilkinson & Coutts in 1939.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Fox, Ripponden
Oldham Road.

Formerly the White Swan, Ripponden.

It is now [2010] a bar/restaurant.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Freemasons' Arms, Brighouse
23/103 Bradford Road. Opened in 1850.

In 1926, the pub's licence was reviewed on grounds of non-necessity, but it retained its licence – see Empress of India, Brighouse and Lower George, Rastrick.

The pub closed in 1947.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Freemasons' Arms, Eastwood
It stood near where Myrtle Grove Chapel / Eastwood Station was.

The actual area was then known as Bottoms, Stansfield, and the pub was known as Bottoms Beerhouse.

Around 1840, it was superseded by the Station House


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Freemasons' Arms, Todmorden
Blind Lane / Burnley Road, Stansfield.

It has been converted into flats


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1969: Victor James Doel

 

Frieldhurst Tavern, Cornholme


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: Lord Halstead – [1836-1891]
  • 1896: Abraham Mitchell
  • 1900: Abraham Mitchell
  • 1905: Frank Blackburn

 

Friendly, Blackshawhead
The name was changed to the Blue Ball

Friendly, Boothtown
2 New Town, Haley Hill. Opened in 1848.

The pub closed in 1930 and was demolished as Boothtown Road was being widened. It was rebuilt next to the original site by Walsh & Maddock.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly, Catherine Slack
Opened in 1816.

In 1894, the owner was Mr Eastwood, the licensee was Joseph Ambler, and the pub was leased to the Crown Brewery

The pub closed in 1926


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly, Cottonstones
Recorded in the early 19th century.

It was popular with Lilywhite's workers at the nearby Lumb Mill. The mill burned down on 15th January 1931.

The pub closed in 1936.

It is now known as Friendly Inn Farm.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly Inn, Fixby
Kew Hill, Lindley Moor, Fixby.

All the buildings – including a Methodist Chapel – were demolished to make way for the M62


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly Inn, Halifax
23/25 Church Street. This was originally a beer house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: William Johnson – [aged 63]
  • 1891: Edward Mulley – [aged 50]
  • 1891: Edward Mullins
  • 1905: Wilson Dewhirst

 

Friendly, Ovenden
39 Ovenden Road. Aka Friendly Fold

See Friendly Fold, Ovenden


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Grace Swaine
  • 1834: Jonathan Fearnley – who married Grace [d 1833]
  • 1845: John Fearnley
  • 1851: Joseph Oates
  • 1853: John Firth
  • 1861: Mrs Mary Firth
  • 1864: Mary Firth
  • 1874: William Tidswell
  • 1881: Samuel Smith – [aged 66]
  • 1887: John Fitton
  • 1905: William Moore
  • 1917: Mrs P. Sternwhite
  • 1936: John Leach

 

Friendly, Todmorden
Lydgate


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly, Triangle


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Ernest Wilde

 

Friendly, Warley
Burnley Road.

Built by John Turner.

Stood next to the Friendly Toll House

It was subsequently

  • A deli / Café bar called Friendly [2011]
  • A Café / diner called Sarina's [2015]

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 18:31 on 5th December 2017 / p200_f / 60