Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Pubs & inns

D



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Damside, Soyland
Mill Bank. Aka T' dam side.

There appears to be some overlap with this and the Sportsman which was next door.

Named for the dam which fed the Old Water Mill.

A

Public House called Damside at Soyland Mill

was advertised for sale in 1782.

The pub closed in 1927.

It was converted into a house in the 1930s.

It is now [2012] called Homestead Cottage.

See Damside House


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Darby, Rishworth


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: John Garside
  • 1864: Richard Greenwood

 

Deaf Mill, Hipperholme
Heywood writes of


Deaf Mill, an alehouse
 

and records John Bottomley [1678] and Henry Bamford [1679] here

See Mill at Deaf Mill, Hipperholme

Dean Clough, Halifax
Lee Bridge. The Shears Inn was renamed the Dean Clough Inn in 1987.

It became the Olde Shears Inn in ????

Delacy's, Elland
Northgate

Delvers' Arms, Crow Point
The pub closed in 1925

Delvers' Arms, Halifax
6 Collier Toppin, Boothtown. This was originally a beer house.

In 1874, the pub was leased for 5 years to Haley and John Briggs of West Scholes Brewery near Queensbury.

On 3rd March 1924, this was one of 3 public houses which were referred for compensation at Halifax Brewster Sessions. The others were the Bay Horse, Pleasant View and Pineberry Hill Tavern, Southowram Bank.

The pub closed in 1925


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: George Scott

 

Delvers' Arms, Hipperholme
Denholme Gate Road / Towngate.

The pub closed in 1923


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Delvers' Arms, Midgley
Towngate. Recorded in 1866.

The pub closed in 1910 following the Licensing Act [1904].

It is now private houses.

See Grove Brewery, Brearley

Delvers' Arms, Rastrick


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: Thomas Lofthouse
  • 1881: Henry Bentley

 

Delvers' Arms, Shibden
In 1???, the name was changed to The Museum


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Delvers' Arms, Southowram
Brookfoot Hill.

The Brighouse Lark Singing Association held their meetings here.

It was originally owned by Naylor's and was sold to Ramsden's in 1910.

The pub closed in 1946 or 1948 or December 1949.

It is now 2 separate houses. The name of the pub can still be seen on the gable end of the Lady Royd buildings at the top of the hill.

See John Naylor


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: Mr Rothwell
  • 1834: George Thackrah
  • 1841: William Holmes
  • 1845: William Holmes
  • 1851: William Holmes
  • 1857: Joseph Rushworth
  • 1861: William Kitchen
  • 1864: William Kitchen
  • 1871: John Hemingway
  • 1874: John Hemingway
  • 1881: William Fairburn
  • 1887: William Beaumont
  • 1891: Edward Healey
  • 1894: Joseph Blackburn
  • 1905: William Leather
  • 1917: George Stansfield
  • 1949: W. Ford

 

Delvers, Wainstalls
Cold Edge Road / Withens Road. Formerly the New Delight, Wainstalls. The name was changed in 1987

Denfield Arms, Wheatley
Ramsden Street. This was originally a beer house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1903: Samuel Dewhurst
  • 1905: Frank Barker
  • 1917: Albert Priestley
  • 1936: James A. Hiley

 

Derby Bar, Rishworth
Aka Derby Inn.

Oldham Road.

Opened in 1822.

A coaching inn for the turnpike.

Stands alongside Booth Wood Reservoir with a view of the M62.

It was owned by Lord Savile of Rishworth Lodge.

It was a temperance hotel [1890s].

After Stainland Wesleyan Chapel was demolished in the 1960s, the pulpit from the chapel was used as a bar at the pub.

During World War I, Lord Savile closed the pub. He had problems renewing the licence afterwards.

On 26th November 1881, John Kenworthy, his wife and daughter, drowned in Booth Dean Beck after calling at the Derby Bar.

On 7th April 1906, there was a fatal accident near the Inn.

The pub been variously named Exit 22 and The Turnpike.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: Thomas Leever
  • 1859: Eliza Briggs
  • 1874: William Harrison
  • 1891: William Harrison
  • 1894: William Harrison
  • 1901: Benjamin Sykes – who was also a farmer
  • 1905: Alexander George Henley

 

Derby Beerhouse, Halifax

Recorded in April 1868, when Henry Sharp of the Derby Beerhouse was charged with stealing a lock and key

Devonshire Arms, Halifax
6 Garden Street North / New Bank. This was originally a beer house.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1899], then later it was a Whitaker pub [1916].

The pub closed in 1937 and was bought by Halifax Corporation


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dirty Dick's, Halifax

The former Royal Oak, Halifax has had a succession of name changes: the Tap & Spile; The Royal Oak again; Dirty Dick's.

Named for Richard ? – the master of the frigate HMS Newcastle – the wood of which was used when the pub was rebuilt in 1931

Diving Bell, Halifax
Hoyland's Passage This was originally a beer house.

Recorded on 3rd April 1875, when the Halifax Guardian reported that

Priscilla Morris of the Diving Bell was charged with selling spirits without a licence

Dog & Gun, Rastrick
4 Eleanor Street.

The pub closed on 26th December 1932


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Mary Ann Lancaster [widow]
  • 1891: Paul Taylor
  • 1900: Paul Taylor
  • 1901: W. Atkinson
  • 1902: A. Marshall
  • 1906: W. Briggs
  • 1930: Fred Smith
  • 1931: Alf Rushworth

 

Dog & Partridge, Heptonstall
35 Towngate.

The Inn became Furley House Tea Rooms [1970s] and then Furley House.

William Clarke died in an incident here [1889].

The licence for the pub was withdrawn on 10th October 1889


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 188?: Mr Hollinrake

 

Dog & Partridge, Lumbutts
The name is recorded in 1909.

It was formerly known as the Sportsman's Arms.

It subsequently became the Top Brink


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dog & Partridge, Sowood
Forest Hill Road / Park Road End, Stainland.

Late 18th century building.

The Broadbent family were licensee for about 150 years.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dog & Partridge, Todmorden
Sourhall. It was previously known as the Sourhall.

It was closed in 2004.

It reopened as the Country Friends


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1890: Mrs Ashworth – [1845-1891]
  • 1891: Ruth Craven – daughter of Mrs Ashworth [temporary transfer of license]
  • 1891: Barker Helliwell
  • 1897: Barker Law

 

Drop, Halifax
The pub closed in 1922

Drop Inn, Elland
Present name of the former Oddfellows' Arms, Elland

Druids' Arms, Greetland
Martin Green Lane. Built in the 18th century. Popularly known as The Rat.

The pub closed in 2004


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Thomas Ackroyde
  • 1905: Mrs Annise Smith

 

Druids' Arms, Halifax
35 New Road.

It became the Overdraught and the Pump Room.

In April 2014, the building was boarded up in preparation for demolition and redevelopment of the site


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dublin Arms, Halifax
7 Berry Lane.

The pub closed in 1905 following the Licensing Act [1904].

Aka the Waggon & Horses


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1896: Charles Fleming
  • 1901: Charles Fleming
  • 1905: Mrs Elizabeth Hoyle

 

Duke of Edinburgh, Brighouse
29 Mill Lane. Opened in 1886.

The pub closed in December 1926


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Duke of Edinburgh, Halifax
227 Queens Road. This was originally a beer house.

It was a Webster pub [1881]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Duke of Leeds' Arms, Halifax
3 Gaol Lane. This was originally a beer house. From 1662, the debtors' jail was next to The Duke of Leeds. The pub was also known as the Gaol Inn.

In 1845, it was written that

Up to within a few years, a public house called The Duke of Leeds was kept in connection with the gaol; but the union between the prison and a public house has wisely been dissolved.

The gaol is kept by F. Scott, bailiff of the Lord of the Manor

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence.

The pub closed in 1910 following the Licensing Act [1904]

See Harriet Hemingway and Duke of Leeds


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Joseph Scott – who was also the jailer
  • 1829: Francis Scott – who was also the jailer
  • 1837: John Crowther
  • 1881: Henry Elliott – [aged 42]
  • 1891: Aquilla Thomas
  • 1905: James Sladdin

 

Duke of Wellington
Around the end of 2012, The Goose at the Arcade was renamed The Duke of Wellington

Duke of Wellington, Halifax
King Street


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Duke of York, Halifax
26 Russell Street / Petticoat Lane.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Joseph Rushworth
  • 1829: James Rushworth
  • 1834: Joseph Rushworth
  • 1837: Elizabeth Rushworth
  • 1841: Abraham Holt
  • 1845: Thomas Holdsworth
  • 1850: William Roberts
  • 1859: Mr Roberts
  • 1864: James Naylor
  • 1881: William Whiteley
  • 1887: William Whiteley
  • 1891: William Whiteley

 

Duke of York, Rastrick
1 Bridge End.

Stood at the southern end of the bridge over the Calder.

The pub closed on 24th December 1927.

The building was demolished in 1933 when the road was widened.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See John Bottomley


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Duke of York, Stainland
Originally 3 mid-18th century cottages. They originally stood in a large garden.

The cottages were converted to a pub in the early 1800s.

Thomas Brown, of Brear & Brown, owned the pub [18??].

It was a Whitaker pub [1920].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

See Abraham Haigh


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Duke of York, Stone Chair
Early 19th century building.

The West Street Brewery was next to the inn.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1891, 1902], then later it was a Whitaker pub [1916].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Harry Percy Jackson and Stone Chair


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 18??: William Clayton
  • 1845: William Wright
  • 1859: Thomas Tiplady
  • 1860: William Shaw – formerly a butter factor at Bradford
  • 1861: Henry Lee
  • 1864: William Fawthrop
  • 1887: Mrs E. L. Shann
  • 1894: Uriah Jagger
  • 1895: Uriah Jagger
  • 1903: Charles Stocks
  • 1917: Charles Stocks

 

Duke of York, Todmorden
Halifax Road

Duke Wellington, Halifax
29 / 30 Silver Street. Formerly the Cross Pipes. When the Duke of Wellington became unpopular, the name was again changed to The Woodman


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: J. Smithson
  • 1829: William Crowther
  • 1837: William Crowther

 

Duke Wellington, Halifax
14 King Street. This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1905 following the Licensing Act [1904].

It was demolished in the 1930s


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Edmund Longbottom – [aged 24]
  • 1891: Edwin Blakey – [?]
  • 1891: Edwin Bailey – [?]
  • 1896: Joseph Teal
  • 1897: Thomas Kelly
  • 1905: Thomas Byron

 

Duke William, Halifax
Clark Bridge / 16 Bridge Street East / 20 Bridge Street East.

The pub stood next to the railway arch on the south side of the road at Clark Bridge.

Opened in 1819.

The pub closed on 25th July 1965.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Michael Norminton
  • 1829: Michael Norminton
  • 1834: Joshua Barker
  • 1837: Thomas Williams
  • 1845: Thomas Bottomley
  • 1850: Adam Battinson
  • 1859: Mr Buckley
  • 1874: William Curtis
  • 1881: Fielden Binns – [aged 30]
  • 1887: Fielden Binns
  • 1894: Fielden Binns
  • 1901: James M Parker
  • 1905: Alfred Carter
  • 1917: S. Buckley
  • 1936: Frank Smith

 

Dumb Mill, Hipperholme
Tan House Hill.

This was the original Dumb Mill Inn

In 1833, the licence was transferred to what is now the Country House, Hipperholme

See Old Dumb Mill, Hipperholme


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Benjamin Scholefield

 

Dusty Miller, Halifax
84 Pellon Lane / Green Lane. Opened in 1859.

It was a Stocks pub, then later it was a Whitaker pub.

The pub closed on 8th December 1968 and demolished shortly afterwards.

The Running Man was built on the site.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dusty Miller, Hove Edge

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Hove Edge conveniences


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dusty Miller, Mytholmroyd
Burnley Rod. Coaching inn built about 1785 by Dr John Alexander. This is said to be the oldest pub in Mytholmroyd. It has Venetian windows

The local Post Office was here [1845].

In July 1897, Brear & Brown bought the property at auction for £4,850.

It is often written that the Cragg Vale Coiners plotted the murder of William Deighton here, but since Deighton died in 1769 – over 10 years before the pub was built – this seems doubtful.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Barbary's and Mytholmroyd Female Society


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: James Broadbent
  • 1834: Thomas Baldwin
  • 1845: Charles Crowther
  • 1851: Charles Crowther
  • 1861: John Dugdale
  • 1874: William Greenwood
  • 1887: William Greenwood
  • 1894: William Greenwood
  • 1905: John Hesselden
  • 1917: Fred Simpson

 

Dusty Miller, Sowerby Bridge
Old Causeway.

Opened in 1815.

Planning applications show that this was a Webster pub [April 1903].

On 7th February 1906, renewal of the licence was refused because

the premises were of a disorderly character and have been ill-conducted in the fact that there have been 2 convictions – permitting drunkenness [15th July 1905] and suffering gaming [9th October 1905] – since the last Brewster Sessions

The pub closed in 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904].

It was converted into 2 cottages.

See Thomas Whitaker


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dusty Miller, Walsden
This was originally a beer house opened at Nip Square, Walsden about 1830, by Samuel Crossley, a corn miller.

Some time between 1851 and 1861, the 2 original cottages were knocked through, to form one building.

Shortly afterwards, the owner acquired the cottage next door, and again knocked the 2 properties into one.

In the 1930s, it was converted into private housing.

It is now Number 12 Square Road.

See Clogger's Arms, Walsden


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dyer & Miller, Halifax
Bank Bottom

The pub was demolished some time before World War I.

See Samuel Charlton


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dyers Arms, Halifax
16 Back Street


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: William Greenwood

 

Dyers Arms, Rastrick
Birds Royd. The Rastrick Botanical Naturalists' Society met here.

The pub closed in 1900. The building and other property were demolished to make way for extensions to the railway


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1894: Walter Dearnaly

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 17:28 on 29th September 2017 / p200_d / 64