District of Bradford, to the north of Halifax, above Boothtown. It lies at a height of 1100 ft above sea-level.
Part of the village lay within the Halifax township of Northowram, and part within the Bradford township of Clayton, and a stone inscribed CN set into the wall of the Black Dyke Mills on High Street, commemorates this.
The fountain by the mill was erected by Foster and unveiled on 26th May 1863, the day that the town changed its name.
The town was originally known as Causeway End. After the construction of the Leeds and Halifax Turnpike in 1740, it was renamed Queenshead after the coaching inn of the same name which stood in the village. There was a suggestion that the village be called Albert Town or Fosterville, but this did not come to be.
On 18th July 1962, a Local Government Commission proposed that Queensbury and Shelf should merge with Bradford.
In 1974, Queensbury was incorporated into the Bradford Metropolitan District Council
Albert Memorial, Queensbury Ambler Thorn Black Dyke Mills, Queensbury Catherine Slack Courthouse, Queensbury Catherine Slack, Queensbury John Foster & Son Limited Halfway House, Queensbury Harrowins House, Queensbury Raggalds Inn Bar, Queensbury Royal Oak, Ambler Thorn Swamp, Northowram Victoria Hall, Queensbury
|Beerhouses & Pubs in Queensbury|
Several beerhouses and public houses have been recorded in and around Queensbury, including
Bull's Head, Queenshead George III, Queensbury Granby, Queenshead King's Arms, Queensbury New Inn, Queensbury Old Dolphin, Queensbury Old Original Queen's Head, Queenshead Old Queens Head, Queenshead Raggalds, Queensbury Royal Oak, Ambler Thorn Sportsman, Queensbury Stag's Head, Queensbury Sun Inn, Queensbury Wellington Inn, Queensbury Wheatsheaf, Queensbury White Hart, Queensbury
|search engine by freefind|
Malcolm Bull 2013 /
Revised 09:04 on 4th July 2013 / mmq6 / 7