Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Places outside Calderdale


The following places outside Calderdale are mentioned in the Calderdale Companion

See also the lists of


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

A

Aachen, Germany
City twinned with Halifax.

See Halifax-Aachen Society and Percival Whitley

Addingham, West Yorkshire
Village on the river Wharfe 3 miles west of Ilkley

Adwalton Moor, Battle of

Agbrigg
Place near Wakefield which was the meeting place for the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley.

In the mid-19th century, the wapentake of Agbrigg & Morley split into 2: Agbrigg and Morley.

Agbrigg comprised the parishes of Almondbury, Emley, Kirkburton, Kirkheaton, Normanton, Rothwell, Great Sandal, Thornhill, Wakefield, Warmfield with Heath, and parts of Huddersfield, Batley, Dewsbury, Featherstone, and Rochdale

Aire
River which rises at Malham Tarn, flows down Airedale and through the centre of Leeds. It joins the Calder near Wakefield – where it becomes the Aire & Calder Navigation – then flows to Castleford and on into the Humber, and the North Sea.

In 1865, a Royal Commission on River Pollution reported that

The rivers Aire and Calder throughout their whole course [from Todmorden to Castleford] are abused, obstructed polluted, poisoned, corrupted and clogged by refuse from mines, chemical works, dyeing, scouring and fulling worsted and woollen goods, skin cleansing and tanning, slaughterhouse garbage, and the sewerage of towns and houses

It is said that the river changed its course and refused to flow past the East Riddlesden estate after the Murgatroyds had to sell the place – on account of the financial troubles caused when William Murgatroyd's employer failed

Aire & Calder Navigation
In the late 17th century, around 2,000 tons of goods were moved out of the towns of the West Riding by road. By cart, the cost was around £3 per ton. Clothiers in Halifax, Leeds, Wakefield and elsewhere petitioned for some means of enabling them to travel to markets when the local roads were impassable and the
badness of the roads caused much damage to their goods

Many early attempts to extend the Aire and Calder and make them navigable were opposed by York whose trade was threatened by a new route.

The Aire & Calder Navigation was started by Royal Assent in 1699 and actively improved until the late 18th century. It flows eastwards to join the Humber-Ouse canal network.

See Aire & Calder Navigation Company

Airedale College

Albert Memorial, Queensbury
The Gothic monument was inaugurated on 26th May 1863 in memory of Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria. It was given to the community by John Foster & Son Limited. The monument was erected at one corner of the square formed by the intersection of the Leeds to Halifax turnpike, and from Brighouse to Denholme Gate turnpike.

It stands on a raised platform. The total height of the monument is 40 ft from the platform to the top of the finial.

On the east side, is a drinking fountain of polished red granite.

The monument bears the inscription

In memory of Albert, Prince Consort of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, who died December the 14th AD 1861

This monument was erected by John Foster & Son, Whitsuntide, 1863

Allerton, West Yorkshire
Area of Bradford. 11 miles north of Halifax

Allestree
Derbyshire. Home of William Evans.

Anne may have used this as a model for Wildfell Hall

Almondbury, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 2 miles south of Huddersfield, and 6½ miles south of Brighouse.

In old records, it often appears as Ambrey which reflects the local pronunciation

Ambler Thorn
District of Bradford between Halifax and Queensbury

Armitage Bridge, Huddersfield
Village about 3 miles south of Huddersfield. The name comes from the nearby bridge over the river Holme. The bridge, in turn, gets its name from a hermitage which once stood here.

The surname Armitage is said to originate here

Atkinson's Mill, Colne Bridge

B

Bacup, Lancashire
Town in Lancashire. 6 miles west of Todmorden

Baildon, West Riding
Township in the Parish of Otley, upper division of Skyrack, 5 miles form Otley, 5 miles from Bradford, 12 miles from Leeds.

See Essolf and John son of Essolf de Holdsworth

Ballynaskeagh
County Down, Ireland. The Brunty family moved here from Lisnacreevy around 1796

Beamish Museum
Open-air museum in County Durham.

See Frank Atkinson and Haigh's Farm, Sowerby

Beech House, Harrogate
Aka Beech Villa.

The House and a studio were built by Ezra Greaves.

It later became an hotel.

The name GREAVES appeared on the glass above the front door, but this was later replaced

Beggarington, Ambler Thorn
A very small area around Ambler Thorn, Queensbury.

See Beggarington

Beggarington, Hartshead
Area of Hartshead. There was a coal mine here at one time.

See Beggarington

Bierley

Billington, Lancashire
A village in the Ribble Valley, southwest of Whalley.

See Oliver de Stansfeld

Bilton Court, Harrogate
Wetherby Road.

House built around 1740.

Owners and tenants have included

Birkby
District of Huddersfield

Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 6 miles north-east of Brighouse.

See Brighouse & Spenborough and Oakroyd Hall, Birkenshaw

Birkin, West Riding
A township and a parish, also a village, in the wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract. 4 miles north-east of Ferrybridge, 7 miles from Pontefract, 8 miles from Selby.

Since 1974, it is in North Yorkshire.

See Adam son of Peter de Birkin

Birtswith Hall, Harrogate

Owners and tenants have included

Black Bull, Haworth
18th century pub frequented by Branwell and John Brown. The innkeepers include: William Sugden, Abraham Wilkinson.

Branwell was often invited to entertain the guests with his wit and learning.

The pub is still active and stands right by the gates of Haworth Church.

You can see the pub at

Blackburn, Lancashire

Blackpool illuminations
Since 1879, the seaside resort of Blackpool has presented illuminated signs and lights along the sea front, during September and October. Coach trips to see the lights were – and still are – a popular attraction for people in the north of England. Blackpool, and other places on the Lancashire coast, were popular holiday destinations in Wakes week

Blackpool promenade
See Michael Holroyd Smith

Blackwell Hall, London
A weekly market for the sale of cloth. This was established when James I and Charles II banned the sale of cloth in inns and warehouses in London. Proceeds went to Christ's Hospital for the poor.

See Halifax Blackwell Hall and Robert Hall

Blake Hall, Mirfield
Home of the Ingham family. Anne worked as a governess here in 1839

Blankney Grange, Wyke
The house was a part of the Dr Whitterton estate, and comprised the house, a lodge & stabling in 6 acres of well-laid-out ground.

Owners and tenants have included

The house was filled with curios & artefacts collected by Davy on his extensive travels in the Far East.

Davy commissioned the Jacksons of Coley to install a bedstead, panelling and carvings for the guest bedroom. He installed an organ on the landing with pipes in an adjacent bedroom.

After his death, his widow lived at the Grange until 1945, when it was sold at auction.

Bradford Council bought the property with the intention to create

a Dream Hostel for Ladies

and then it became an old people's home [1947].

The building was refurbished in 1975


Question: Does anyone know what happened to the organ, or to the Jackson oak work & carvings?

 

Bolling Hall, Bradford
The 14th century Hall is one of the oldest buildings in Bradford.

See Sir Richard Tempest

Bottomley Hall, Thornton
Aka Bottomley Holes.

Owners and tenants have included

Bradford & Shelf Tramways Company
In 1884, a new line was constructed from Town Hall Square, Bradford to Shelf.

The order to construct tramways in Bradford and Shelf was passed on 23rd April 1885 [?].

In 1893, the Secretary of the company was Thomas Parr.

On 28th February 1903, because of differences between the owners of the line and Bradford Tramways Committee, the steam trams stopped running any further than the Furnace Inn.

The steam-powered trams were replaced by electric trams in 1904.

In October 1907, James Blackburn of Hope Street, Stone Chair was run over by an electric tram.

The trams became unpopular and were discontinued in the 1970s [?]

Bradford Cathedral
The Cathedral Church of St Peter in Bradford

Bradford Family History Society
Founded in 1982

Bradford Historical & Antiquarian Society
Established in 1878.

Bradford Parish Church
The Parish Church of St Peter in Bradford is now known as the Cathedral Church of St Peter

Bradford Piece Hall
Kirkgate.

A piece hall for the sale of cloth was built in Bradford in 1773

Every Thursday morning at 10:00 am, the bell was rung to summon the buyers; at 11:30 am, it was again rung to show that the market was closed; at 2:00 pm, the bell was rung to show that the market was open again; at 3:30 pm, it was again rung to show that the market was closed for the day

Bradford, Siege of

Bradford, West Yorkshire
The Metropolitan Borough of Bradford lies north of Calderdale, and includes

See Bolling Hall, Bradford, Bradford Cathedral, New Leeds, Scholemoor Cemetery & Crematorium and Undercliffe Cemetery

Bradley
An old name for Colne Bridge. Part of Kirklees.

Most of the area was owned by Fountains Abbey. The Abbey established a mill on the Calder and a grange here, and a bloomery in Bradley Wood

See Bradley Bar and Bradley Woods

Bramham House, Leeds
Boston Spa.

Built in 1806 by Rev Robert Bownas, vicar of Bramham.

Subsequent owners and tenants have included

Bramsche, Germany
Town in the Osnabrück district of Lower Saxony twinned with Todmorden in the 1970s

Brayton, West Riding
A township and parish in the wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract. 1 mile south of Selby, 7 miles from Snaith.

See Adam son of Peter de Birkin

Bridgehouse Beck
See Haworth Old Hall

Bridgewater canal
The Duke of Bridgewater built the Worsley-Manchester canal – the first dead-water canal – in 1761. This led to the construction of a national network of inland waterways for transport and industrial supplies.

Bridlington
Sea-side town in East Yorkshire. Charlotte and Ellen Nussey spent a holiday in here in October 1839. Charlotte liked the sea. The town was called Burlington until the 19th century.

See Benjamin Milne

Brighouse, Scotland
This is a place near Edinburgh

Brontë Memorial Chapel
Built in St Michael & All Angels, Haworth in 1963 with money donated by Sir Tresham Lever, and dedicated by the Bishop of Bradford on 4th July 1964.

Brontë Parsonage Museum
Opening on 18th May 1895, a collection of Brontë memorabilia was established in premises over the Yorkshire Penny Bank in Main Street, Haworth.

In 1927, Sir James Roberts provided for a new Rectory and acquired the old Parsonage. This became the present museum and was given to The Brontë Society in 1928.

The rooms are described in the Foldout

Brontë seat
A natural rock in the shape of a chair on Haworth moor.

It is said that Charlotte wrote some of her poetry here

Brontë waterfall
Waterfall on South Dean Beck, about 2 miles from Haworth. A favourite spot for the children. In November 1854, Charlotte and Arthur went for a walk to the falls and she caught a chill in the heavy rain

Brookroyd, Birstall
In 1837, the Nussey family moved here from the Rydings at Birstall

Brussels
Charlotte and Emily and their father – with Martha Taylor and Joe – left Haworth for London on 8th February 1842, en route to Brussels and the Pensionnat Heger. They sailed from London Bridge on 12th February – a 14-hour crossing. The journey from Ostend to Brussels by coach took a day. Here, they were met by Rev and Mrs Jenkins.

The city was the model for the town of Villette

Burnley, Lancashire
A market town at the confluence of the Rivers Calder and Brun.

10 miles north-west of Todmorden, 21 miles north of Manchester, and 20 miles east of Preston.

See Burnley Road, Heysandforth, Lancashire and Oliver de Stansfeld

Bury, Lancashire
Town in Lancashire. 17 miles south-west of Todmorden

Buttershaw Mills

Buttershaw, West Yorkshire
Area of Bradford. 5 miles north-east of Halifax and bordering on Shelf

C

Cad Beeston, Leeds
A community to the south of Leeds.

The manor house is a Grade II listed building and one of the oldest buildings in the Leeds area.

Members of the Blackburn family including

have links to the property

Calderbrook
Area of Lancashire, west of Todmorden

Calderstones
Merseyside. These are nothing to do with the Yorkshire Calder but are a group of 6 sandstone blocks from a Neolithic tomb – originally from the mouth of the Mersey. The stones are marked with cup-and-ring marks, spirals and other rock carvings

Cartwright's Mill, Rawfolds

Causeway End
Until 1740, Queensbury was known as Causeway End, that is, the end of a causeway from Bradford

Chipping, Lancashire
A village about midway south east of Oakenclough, north west of Clitheroe.

See John de Stansfeld

Chorley, Lancashire

Christadelphian Hall, Wyke

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Lindley

Claro, West Riding of Yorkshire
A former wapentake near Harrogate.

A number of Calderdale people had links to the place

Clayton Baptist Church, Queensbury

Clayton-le-Woods, Lancashire
A township in Leyland parish, Lancashire. 3¾ miles north-west of Chorley.

See Orm son of Magnus

Clayton, West Yorkshire
Area of Bradford. 6 miles north-east of Halifax

Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 4 miles north-east of Brighouse.

See Brighouse & Spenborough and Scholes

Clitheroe Division
Since 1885, a small part of the township of Cliviger has been a part of Clitheroe division of North-East Lancashire.

See Population Statistics and Todmorden & Lancashire

Cliviger
Formerly Clivacher.

Parish in the Burnley district near to Stansfield.

Since 1885, a small part of the township has been a part of Clitheroe division of North-East Lancashire.

The name may be derived from Old English clyder and the Norse haugr meaning cultivated land by a slope, or from Old English clif and æcre meaning sloping field.

The Cliviger Gorge lies north-west of Todmorden and Cornholme and is a local beauty-spot. The name Cornholme-in-Cliviger has been used.

See Holme Chapel, Mereclough, Lancashire, St John the Divine, Cliviger and Todmorden & Lancashire

Cloth Hall, Huddersfield
A cloth hall – also referred to as the Piece Hall – was built by Sir John Ramsden in 1766.

It was enlarged by Ramsden's son in 1780.

The Hall was demolished in 1930.

The clock, bell and cupola were moved to Ravensknowle Park

Colne Bridge
An area of Kirklees between Mirfield and Brighouse.

The river Colne joins the Calder here.

The bridge here was built by the monks to link Bradley – an earlier name for the area – and Kirkheaton.

See Atkinson's Mill, Colne Bridge

Colne, Lancashire
Town 16 miles north of Todmorden

See Nelson, Lancashire

Colne Valley, West Yorkshire
The valley of the river Colne which extends from Marsden where the river rises, past Huddersfield where it joins the river Holme, and on to Cooper Bridge where it joins the river Calder.

See Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Cooper Bridge
District – and an important road junction – which lies just outside Calderdale. The Calder is joined here by the river Colne from Huddersfield.

See A6107, Cooper Bridge Station and Cooper Bridge Sewage Works

Cooper Bridge Sewage Works

Cotness, East Riding
A hamlet to the north of the River Ouse, 3 miles east of the town of Goole.

See Roger de Stansfeld

Cowcliffe
District of Huddersfield, lying between Fixby and Birkby

Crow Hill, Stanbury
At about 6 pm on Thursday, 2nd September 1824, after a thunderstorm, the marsh at Crow Hill exploded causing a landslide of mud, water and boulders down Haworth moor. This greatly affected the children – Emily, Branwell, and Anne – who were out walking on the moor with Tabby at the time. Rev Brontë produced his Earthquake on the Moors pamphlet entitled The Phenomenon or An Account in Verse of the Extraordinary Disruption of a Bog about the event. He also wrote an account for The Leeds Mercury, and preached a sermon on the event

D

Deighton, West Yorkshire
A suburb of Huddersfield, lying between Brighouse and Huddersfield

Denholme Gate Brewery
Denholme.

Jonathan Knowles began brewing here, and built new premises for this purpose [1837]

Denholme Gate, West Yorkshire
Town 5½ miles west of Bradford, 10½ miles north-west of Brighouse.

Denholme was an 18th century walled park – between Bradshaw and Keighley.

Denholme Gate was the southern entrance to the park, and Cullingworth Gate was the northern entrance.

The Brighouse-Denholme Gate Turnpike – now the A644 – runs from Brighouse and Hipperholme towards Denholme Gate and was constructed in 1826.

See Denholme Gate Road, Hipperholme and Denholme Gate Road, Northowram

Denholme Pottery
Pottery at Denholme established by Samuel Catherall in 1785.

The family ran the Pottery.

In August 1893, Nicholas Taylor bought the Pottery from the Catherall's.

Taylor worked there until 1907, when he was forced to sell the business after he had stretched himself financially.

The property is now a private residence

Denholme Wesleyan Chapel
Denholme

Denholme, West Yorkshire
Area of Bradford. 7 miles north of Halifax, and 8 miles west of Bradford.

Denholme was an 18th century walled park – between Bradshaw and Keighley.

Denholme Gate was the southern entrance to the park, and Cullingworth Gate was the northern entrance.

See Denholme Pottery, W. & H. Foster, St Paul's Church, Denholme and Nicholas Taylor

Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 8 miles east of Brighouse.

In the 14th century, there are records of tithes being paid from Halifax to Dewsbury. This suggests some link between the 2 places in the past.

In 1809, Rev Patrick Brontë was curate to the Rev John Buckworth at All Saints Church, Dewsbury. During his time at Dewsbury, he often rode over to take service at Hartshead. Rev Brontë is said to have set about the bell-ringers at the church with a cudgel when they practised without his permission.

See Dewsbury Moor, Midland, Barnsley, Sheffield, Dewsbury, Leeds & Bradford Railway, Sothill, West Riding and Thornhill, West Riding

District Friends' School, Ackworth

Doctor Wood
A part of Judy Woods. The woods were owned by the Richardson family

Dumb Steeple, Cooper Bridge
A plain column about 26 ft high with a ball atop which stands near the crossroads of the Leeds and Wakefield roads at Mirfield.

It originally stood at the middle of the road junction. The column is said to have been the meeting point for Robin Hood and his men, and it was also a place of sanctuary.

There are several explanations for the monument and its name:

The Luddites famously used the column as a meeting point on 11th April 1812 before their attack on William Cartwright's mill at Rawfolds.

A field nearby was a popular venue for wrestling and bare-knuckle fighting.

See Elland & Obelisk Turnpike Road

Dunloe, Gap of
Killarney, Ireland. Charlotte and Arthur Nicholls went here on their honeymoon in 1854. Whilst riding here, she was violently thrown from her horse

E

East Riddlesden Hall, Keighley
In 1631, James Murgatroyd bought the house from John and Richard Rishworth. He remodelled and rebuilt a great part of it in 1642 for his son John.

Although it stands just outside Keighley, this is a typical example of a Halifax house.

See Kershaw House, Luddenden and Oats Royd, Midgley

Elswick, Lancashire
A township in St Michael-on-Wyre parish, Lancashire. 4½ miles north of Kirkham.

See Orm son of Magnus

Embsay Priory
Now in North Yorkshire,

Established in 1120.

In 1155, the canons moved to establish Bolton Priory.

See Richard son of Essolf de Tong

Emley Moor Transmitting Station
Originally known as ITA Tower.

On 19th March 1969, the 1,265 ft tall tower and antenna collapsed due to string winds and the weight of ice on the structure.

In 1970, it was replaced by the present 1,084 ft tall tower. This is the tallest free-standing structure in Britain.

It is a familiar landmark and can be seen for many miles around

Emmott Hall
Aka Haworth Old Hall. Haworth

F

Fairburn, West Riding
In the parish of Ledsham, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract. 2½ miles north of Ferrybridge; 4 miles from Pontefract.

See Adam son of Peter de Birkin

Farnley Tyas, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 3 miles south-east of Huddersfield, and 10 miles south of Brighouse

Fartown, Huddersfield
A suburb of Huddersfield, lying between Brighouse and Huddersfield. Part of Kirklees

Field House, Surrey
New Cross, Surrey. Built by Timothy Stansfeld, and named after the Stansfeld family's home in Sowerby

Firthcliffe, USA
In March 1886, Sir Algernon Freeman Firth bought the Broadhead Woollen Mills – in Orange County near Cornwall on the Hudson, New York State – and established a carpet production facility for T. F. Firth & Company

Both the factory and the village built to house the workers were called Firthcliffe.

By 1908, it had a turnover of US$1,000,000 and employed nearly 600 workers.

In 1908, the company had difficulties with the authorities for violations, since 1902, of US Labor Law, when 24 carpet workers were ordered to be deported.

A US press report at the time states that those who were deported were strike leaders and their families, because, following a strike settlement, the strike leaders were not re-employed

During World War II, this operation was sold in order to raise dollars for the UK war treasury. It then continued to operate, according to past employees very much as a family- and community-oriented business up to 1962, when it closed.

See Arnold Armitage, Fred Armitage, Fred Booth, Herbert Broomhead, Joe Harry Radley, Horace S. Shaw and Richard Small

Fixby
District to the south-east of Halifax.

It was a part of Halifax – when it was the smallest township in the parish.

When the M62 became the boundary between Calderdale and Kirklees, it became a part of Huddersfield / Kirklees council.

The name uses the element by and may be derived from the Norse Fekis by, meaning village or farmstead belonging to Fek, or Fegh, or Fekis.

A charter of around 1200 refers to

thirteen acres ... of the assart in the wood of Fekesbi

granted to William the clerk and his heirs.

In the 19th century, C. C. Thornhill was lord of the manor.

See Fixby Hall, Parish statistics, Rastrick-cum-Fixby, The Drake family of Ashday and The Wood, Fixby

Fleece, Haworth
Pub

Flixton Hall, Suffolk
After the death of her husband Sir Francis Crossley, Lady Martha Crossley closed down Belle Vue and went to live at Somerleyton.

She later moved to Flixton Hall, near Lowestoft, where she died [21st August 1891]

Flockton, West Riding
Flockton Nether and Flockton Over.

In the parish of Thornhill, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley wapentake, liberty of Wakefield. 6½ miles from Huddersfield, 7½ from Wakefield.

Now in Kirklees.

See Adam son of Peter de Birkin

Fulneck, West Yorkshire
A village near Pudsey.

In 1753, the English headquarters of the Moravian Brethren was established here

G

Gannerthorpe
A part of Judy Woods

Golcar, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 9 miles south of Halifax


Pronunciation: Goker
 

Gomersal, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees, between Birstall and Cleckheaton 6 miles north-east of Brighouse.

Originally Great Gomersal.

A special trade of the town was the production of cloth for the army.

See Brighouse & Spenborough, Highroyd, Gomersal, The Knowles Family of Gomersal and Red House, Gomersal

Grainsby Hall, Lincolnshire
Near Grimsby.

It was owned by the Nettleship family [18th century]. Edward Nettleship of Lea, Gainsborough is mentioned in 1703. His son, Francis [1705-1797], was the last of the line to own the estate. He left all his lands and manors to

my good and faithful servant, Elizabeth Borrell [1742-1826], now living with me

In 1795, Elizabeth bought the house and 313 acres of land in Grainsby for £5,800. She was unmarried.

The hall came into the Haigh family of Norland when, in January 1827, William Haigh married Elizabeth Charlotte, daughter of Benjamin Borrell and heiress of her great-aunt Elizabeth Borrell.

See George William Brooksbank

Great Fosters, Egham, Surrey
In 1930, Sir Harold Sutcliffe bought the house.

This is now a hotel and is still owned by the Sutcliffe family [2009]. His grandson is Chairman of the company

Greenhalgh, Lancashire
Or Greenhalgh with Thistleton. A township in Kirkham parish, Lancashire. 3 miles north-west of Kirkham. In 1066, this formed part of Earl Tostig's Preston lordship.

See Roger de Hutton, Orm son of Magnus, Thistleton, Lancashire and John de Thornhill

Grimescar
Or Grimscar. Area of Kirklees around Ainley Top

This lies on the old road from Halifax to Huddersfield. Remains of Roman occupation – which included kilns – were found by coal miners at Grimscar Wood around 1590 and rediscovered in 1955

Grimston Park, Tadcaster
On 2nd July 1872, John Fielden bought the 2,875-acre country estate from Lord Londesborough for £265,000.

On 1st March 1875, there was a serious gas explosion here in which Mr Swarbrick, the agent for Fielden, was so severely injured that he died the following day.

Subsequent owners and tenants have included

Members of the family were buried in the vault at Kirkby Wharfe Church, Grimston Park

H

Habergham Hall, Lancashire
House at Habergham Eaves near Burnley.

The Hall no longer exists.

The Habergham surname originates in this locality.

A farm called Habergham Hall Farm now stands close to where the Hall was situated.

See John Habergham

Halifax, Manchester, Jamaica

Halifax, Massachusetts, USA
Plymouth County

Halifax, New Jersey, USA
Bergen County

Halifax, North Carolina, USA
Halifax County.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
The city was named for the Second Lord Halifax who was a friend of Cornwallis and President of the Board of Trade & Plantations in 1797 when tradesmen were invited to volunteer as settlers to establish a town named after Lord Halifax in the Province of Nova Scotia.

After World War II, the people of Nova Scotia sent food to the people of Halifax [West Yorkshire] for distribution by the Rotary Club.

See Halifax Distress Committee

Halifax, Pennsylvania USA
Dauphin County

Halifax, Queensland, Australia

Halifax, South Africa
North West South Africa

Halifax, St Mary, Jamaica

Halifax, Vermont, USA
Windham County

Halifax, Virginia, USA
Halifax County

Hartshead
District in Kirklees to the south of Brighouse.

Hartshead Reservoir
Built in 1904 for Bradford Corporation

Haslingden, Lancashire
Town in the Rossendale district of Lancashire. About 12 miles west of Todmorden. It was in the Blackburn Diocese

Hasselt, Belgium
Town twinned with Calderdale

Havercroft, West Riding
In the township and parish of Batley, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley. 2½ miles north of Dewsbury, 6¼ miles from Bradford.

See Adam son of Peter de Birkin

Haworth Church

Haworth church school
Rev Brontë had the school built in 1832 by voluntary subscription and a grant from the National Society. It stands in the lane beside the Parsonage and the churchyard. Charlotte was the first superintendent on her return from Roe Head, and Branwell taught here for a time.

The school is still is use today

Haworth churchyard
The churchyard stands between the Parsonage and St Michael & All Angels, Haworth.

The Parsonage is said to have been built on earlier graves.

The local women used the gravestones in the churchyard to hang out their washing, until the Rev Brontë arrived in 1820 and drove them out.

It is said that there were around 40,000 burials in the churchyard, and Babbage recorded 1344 burials in 10 years.

The close packing of the graves and the heavy gravestones have been blamed for the unhealthy state of the village. Water passing from the churchyard flowed down to the wells in Haworth. The heavy and closely-packed gravestones did not allow the growth of plants to decay and aerate the ground. See Haworth Sanitation.

The well and privy for the Parsonage were in the churchyard.

The gateway from the Parsonage garden into the churchyard has been closed

Haworth Mechanics Institute
Established in 18?? with the active support of Rev Brontë. Rev Brontë and William Weightman were members and gave lectures. The children borrowed books from the library

See Keighley Mechanics Institute

Haworth National School
The National School opened in 1844

Haworth, West Yorkshire
Area of Bradford. A moorland village 4 miles from Keighley, and 7 miles from Halifax.

See Heptonstall to Haworth road and Holmes

Heath Hall, Wakefield
Several people with local connections have lived at the Hall, including Alexander Rishworth [15??], John Smyth [1709] and other members of the family, and Robert Burnett, father of Mary [17??]

Heaton, Lancashire
Also called Heaton in Lonsdale; now Heaton with Oxcliffe.

Village on the west bank of the River Lune, south of Lancaster, east of Heysham.

See Roger de Hutton and Orm son of Magnus

Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 6 miles east of Brighouse

Helmsley, North Yorkshire
or Helmsley Upon the Black Moor.

A parish and market town in the Wapentake of Ryedale, North Yorkshire. It lies 6 miles from Kirkbymoorside, 16 from Malton, and 23 from York.

See Oswaldkirk, Yorkshire

Heysandforth, Lancashire
An area of the northern part of Burnley

See John de Stansfeld and Oliver de Stansfeld

High Fernley Hall, Wyke
Built in 1678 by the Richardson family of Bierley. A lintel is inscribed WM for William and Mary Richardson

Hightown, West Yorkshire
A hamlet in Kirklees, between Liversedge and Hartshead. The Brontë family lived at Clough House here when they moved to Hartshead.

Maria and Elizabeth were born here

Hill House, Banagher
See Mary Anne Bell

Hoghton, Lancashire
A village, also a township and chapelry, in Leyland parish, Lancashire. The village lies 5 miles south-west of Blackburn.

See Orm son of Magnus

Hollingworth Lake
Rochdale. It was built as a reservoir to feed the Rochdale Canal.

From the 1850s, it was used for recreational purposes and became known as The wayvers' sayportthe weavers' seaport – because of the large number of textile workers who visited the place. There were hotels, ballrooms, refreshment rooms and souvenir shops. The shore was known as The Beach. Steamers carried passengers around the lake.

On 28th June 1869, a party from Todmorden were in a carriage driving round the lake when the horse was startled and the vehicle and 5 of the passengers were thrown into the lake. One person jumped out of the vehicle, 2 others were rescued from the water, and 2 others were drowned.

In the 1870s, Captain Matthew Webb [1848-1883] trained here for his cross-channel swim

Holme
The river rises at Holme Moss, flows through Holme, Holmbridge, Holmfirth, Thongsbridge, Brockholes, Honley, Berry Brow and Lockwood to join the river Colne south of Huddersfield.

See Armitage Bridge, Huddersfield

Holme Chapel, Lancashire
Town in Lancashire. 6 miles north-west of Todmorden.

See Cliviger and St John the Divine, Cliviger

Holmfirth, West Yorkshire
Town in Kirklees. 6 miles south of Huddersfield. On 4th February 1852, the Bilberry Dam reservoir at burst causing catastrophic damage. Around 100 people were killed, and 4 mills, numerous factories, houses, bridges, churches were destroyed. An estimated 4,986 adults were thrown out of work. With an estimated contribution of over £1,700, Halifax was one of many towns who collected money for the relief of the survivors

Horbury, West Yorkshire
An area of Wakefield.

Hornby Castle, Lancashire
Originally a 12th/13th century structure. There are many 16th century additions.

See Major Edward Hornby Foster, John Foster, John Foster, William Foster, William Henry Foster, Charles Green and Charles Kershaw

Horse Close Bridge, Wyke
Bridge in Judy Woods. Aka Judy Brig and the Pleasure Gardens.

From about 1770, there was a public garden here. It was owned by the North family between 1840 and 1860.

The names Judy Woods and Judy Brig comes from Judy North who sold sweets from a stall on the bridge.

The stream which flows beneath the bridge marks the boundary between Calderdale and Bradford

Horsforth, West Yorkshire
District of Leeds.

See Rev James Armytage Rhodes

Horton, West Yorkshire
Little Horton and Great Horton are areas of Bradford. 8 miles north-east of Halifax.

See The Horton family of Barkisland

Huddersfield
Earlier forms of the name include Odersfelt / Oderesfelt [Domesday], Hudresfeld, and Huddersfeld.

It is now a part of Kirklees Council.

See Armitage Bridge, Birkby, Colne Valley, River Colne, Cowcliffe, Deighton, Fartown, Fixby, River Holme, Lepton, Lockwood, Longroyd Bridge, Quarmby and Sheepridge

Huddersfield & District Archæological Society
See Roman Circus, Outlane

Huddersfield & District Family History Society
Established in 1987.

Email: cellarmail@hdfhs.org.uk.

See Salendine Nook Baptist Chapel Graveyard

Huddersfield Local History Society

Huddersfield Local Studies Library

Huddersfield Parish Church
The Parish Church in Huddersfield is dedicated to St Peter.

The first Parish Church in Huddersfield was built by Walter de Laci around 1090.

This was replaced by a second Church built around 1503, in Perpendicular style.

This was replaced by a third Church, designed by Pritchett of York, and consecrated on 27th October 1836

Huddersfield University Archives

Hunsworth, West Riding
Township in the Parish of Birstall, Morley division of Agbrigg & Morley, liberty of Pontefract, 3 miles south of Halifax, 5 miles north-east of Brighouse, 5 miles from Bradford.

Formerly known as Huddesworth.

Now an area of Kirklees.

See Brighouse & Spenborough, Essolf and Richard son of Essolf de Tong

Hutton, Lancashire
A township with a village in Penwortham parish, Lancashire. 3½ miles south-west of Preston.

See Roger de Hutton and Orm son of Magnus

I

Ilkley Moor
A part of Bradford and a part of the larger Rombald's Moor between Ilkley and Keighley.

See On Ilkley moor baht 'at

Ilkley, West Yorkshire
Spa town within the Metropolitan district of Bradford. Lies on the river Wharfe 12 miles north of Bradford.

See Addingham, West Yorkshire, Ilkley Moor and On Ilkley moor baht 'at

J

Judy Brig, Wyke
Aka Horse Close Bridge and the Pleasure Gardens. The bridge was named after Judy North who sold sweets there.

From about 1770, there was a public garden here owned by the North family between 1840 and 1860.

The stream marks the boundary between Calderdale and Bradford

K

Keighley & Worth Valley railway
Opened in 1867.

The present line is a 5-mile long restored branch line which joins the British railway network at Keighley and runs along the Worth Valley to Haworth and Oxenhope.

The railway is operated by volunteer members of the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway Society.

See Oakworth

Keighley Mechanics Institute
Rev Brontë became a member on 8th April 1833. The Institute had a library which the children would have used. Rev Brontë gave a lecture here entitled The influence of circumstances.

See Haworth Mechanics Institute

Keighley, West Yorkshire
Area of Bradford. 12 miles north of Halifax


Pronunciation: Keeth-li with the stress on the first syllable
 

See East Riddlesden Hall, Keighley, Halifax & Keighley Turnpike, Halifax, Bradford & Keighley Insurance Company, Halifax, Huddersfield & Keighley Railway, Halifax, Huddersfield & Keighley Reporter, Halifax, Thornton & Keighley Railway, Keighley & Worth Valley railway, Keighley Mechanics Institute and Manchester, Hebden Bridge & Keighley Junction Railway

Kildwick, West Riding
A township and parish in the east division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee. 4¼ miles south of Skipton, 5¾ miles from Keighley

Kilham, East Riding
Village about 5 miles from Driffield in the East Riding of Yorkshire

Kilnsey, North Riding
Village in the Craven District of [now] North Yorkshire.

Lies 3 miles south of Kettlewell, 12 miles from Skipton and Settle

See William son of Essolf

Kings Arms, Haworth
Pub. The meal after Emily's funeral was here

Kipping House, Thornton
Lower Kipping Lane. In 1689, Rev Matthew Smith he obtained a licence to hold meetings here.

John Scholefield Firth lived here. His daughter Elizabeth became good friends of the Brontë family whilst they were living in Thornton

Kirkburton, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 5½ miles south of Huddersfield, and 9 miles south of Brighouse

Kirkdale Industrial School, Liverpool
In the 1890s, children were brought from the School to work in Calvert's mill.

See Calvert's Factory School

Kirkheaton, West Riding
A township and parish in Agbrigg division of Agbrigg & Morley, liberty of Pontefract. 3 miles north-east of Huddersfield, 5 miles south-east of Brighouse, and 8 miles from Halifax.

Now an area of Kirklees.

See Lascelles Hall, Kirkheaton, Peter son of Essolf de Birkin and Atkinson family

Kirklees Way
A 72-mile long circular walking route around the Kirklees and Huddersfield district, inaugurated in 1990

Kirklees, West Yorkshire
The Metropolitan Borough of Kirklees lies south of Calderdale, and includes Almondbury, Armitage Bridge, Birkenshaw, Bradley, Cleckheaton, Colne Bridge, Dewsbury, Farnley Tyas, Fartown, Fixby, Flockton, Golcar, Gomersal, Heckmondwike, Hightown, Holmfirth, Huddersfield, Hunsworth, Kirkburton, Lindley, Liversedge, Marsden, Milnsbridge, Mirfield, Outlane, Quarmby, Salendine Nook, Scholes, Scholes, Holmfirth, Slaithwaite, Thurstonland.

The district takes its name from Kirklees Hall.

The name uses the elements kirk and lees, and means church clearings.

Kirkstall Abbey, Leeds
Founded in 1152 by Henry de Lacy.

Rev Brontë proposed to Maria during a visit to the Abbey.

The Knowles Family of Gomersal
Lionel Knowles of Halifax was an early member of the family when he moved to Gomersal in the mid 18th century.

According to Cudworth


the family, in their day, took a leading position in the army cloth trade, which was once the special feature of Gomersal, and made rich gains as army contractors prior to collapse of the trade in the 1820s
 

There is an account of this branch of the Knowles family in Gomersal – A Window on the Past by Gillian & Neil Cookson [1992]

Members of the family have included Charles James Knowles, Rev John Dickenson Knowles, Lionel Knowles, Lionel Knowles, Lionel Knowles and Lionel Knowles

L

Lambourn Place, Berkshire
The home of Henry Hippisley and the Hippisley family.

When Beatrix Hippisley married Charles Grove Edwards, her brother, William, sold the property to Charles and it passed into the Edwards family. Charles leased the house.

The name is variously spelled Lamborn, Lamborne and Lambourne.

See Henry Arthur Rolleston Edwards and Henry Coster Lea Edwards

Langton Hall, Malton
The home of the Norcliffes where Anne Lister spent some time [from 1809].

It is now Woodleigh School

Lascelles Hall, Kirkheaton
Lascelles Hall Road.

The nearby village is also called Lascelles Hall.

Late 18th century house built for the Walker family on a site which had been occupied by the Lascelles family [1175].

The Lascelles family came from Lacelle near Limoges in France, and were supporters of William the Conqueror.

In 1385, Thomas Stansfield married Barbara, the daughter of John Lassell of Lassell Hall.

John Lacelles, the last of the line, died in 1434. His daughter Joan inherited the land and hall and married Henry Beaumont

In 1641, Edward Hanson married Jane, the daughter of Thomas Beaumont of Lascelles Hall.

When it was the home of Joseph Walker and his children – William, Frances, Amelia and JaneCharlotte and Anne Brontë visited their friends there.

See John Beaumont and Sir Thomas Beaumont

Lawton Hall, Cheshire
The family home of Charles Bourne Lawton and, after their marriage, that of Mariana, a lover of Anne Lister.

The building became a school.

Around 1986, it was gutted by fire.

It has been converted into apartments

Leeds & Liverpool Canal
This was the first of the trans-Pennine canals to be started – and the last to be completed. The initial proposal came in 1765. The final Blackburn to Lancaster section was completed in 1816

See John Longbottom, Joseph Priestley and Edward Rookes

Leeds Bradford International Airport
Opened as Yeadon Aerodrome in October 1931. This is the most convenient airport for visitors to Halifax & Calderdale. It is the highest airport in Britain.

See Yeadon, West Yorkshire

Leeds Infirmary
The Foldout lists some local people who gave money for the Infirmary in 1782 and 1792

Leeds, West Yorkshire
City 14 miles to the north-east of Halifax.

The Leeds Metropolitan Borough includes districts such as Birstall, Horsforth, Seacroft and Yeadon.

See Cad Beeston, Duke of Leeds, West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum, Methley Hall, Leeds, Midland, Barnsley, Sheffield, Dewsbury, Leeds & Bradford Railway, New Leeds, Temple Newsam, Leeds, The Manchester & Leeds Railway Company and Thorp Arch, Boston Spa

Lepton, West Yorkshire
District of Huddersfield.

Lewes
Sussex. The Cluniac Priory of Lewes is linked to Halifax and Halifax Parish Church through William, 1st Earl of Surrey.

The Priory held the manors of Halifax and Heptonstall. The monks were instrumental in introducing sheep farming to the district.

With the Dissolution of the Monasteries, in February 1537, the last Prior, Robert Croham, surrendered the priory and all its estates to Henry VIII. The priory passed to Thomas Cromwell who thereby became Lord of the Manor, Lay Rector of Halifax and one of the biggest landowners in the district.

See Hebden Water

Leyland, Lancashire
A village, also a township, parish, and a hundred, in Lancashire. The village lies 5 miles south of Preston.

See Warin son of Orm

Lindley
District of Kirklees.

Recorded as Lilleia in Domesday Book and as waste.

See Lindley Moor Road, Ainley Top, Lindley Road, Elland, Old Lindley Road, Jagger Green, Old Lindley, Greetland, Old Lindley, Stainland, Stainland, Old Lindley, Sowood Green School, Stainland-with-Old-Lindley Urban District Council and The Luke Settle Shield

Linthwaite, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 4 miles west of Huddersfield, and 8½ miles south-west of Brighouse.

See Dyson

Litherup, Hartshead
An area of Hartshead.

The name comes from the Anglian op and means the farm on the slope

Little Marsden, Lancashire
The community became part of Nelson, Lancashire

Littleborough, Lancashire
Town in Lancashire / Greater Manchester. 5 miles south of Todmorden.

See Rishworth Railway Station

Liversedge, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 5 miles east of Brighouse.

See Brighouse & Spenborough, Rawfolds Mill and Hightown

Lockwood, West Yorkshire
An area of Kirklees, lying 1 mile south-west of Huddersfield town centre.

John de Lockwood and the Lockwood family of Lockwood featured in the Elland Feud.

See Lockwood surname Bentley & Shaw

Longroyd Bridge
An area of Huddersfield.

Longton, Lancashire
A village, also a township and chapelry, Lancashire. The village lies 5 miles south-west of Preston.

See Warin son of Orm

Lord Rodney, Haworth
Pub

Lothersdale
District about 13 miles from Haworth.

In the 17th century, there were coiners producing counterfeit coinage here

Low Moor
District of South Bradford, bordering on Wyke and Shelf

Low Wood
A part of Judy Woods which follows the stream down to Station Road, Wyke

Lower Wyke Moravian Church

Lüdenscheid, Germany
Town twinned with Brighouse in 1950.

See Brighouse Lüdenscheid, Society

Mr Lumley's Boarding School for Ladies, York

Lupset, Wakefield
See The Savile family of Lupset

M

Main Street, Haworth
The main thoroughfare of Haworth goes up the hill to the Black Bull and the church at the top. The major shops and houses lie along the street which is still paved with setts.

A newer road bypasses the village for modern traffic.

See Haworth Sanitation

Manor House, Wyke
Wyke Manor House:

Marsden, Manor of
Manor of Marsden in the Colne Valley. This was given to Ilbert de Lacy by William the Conqueror.

Around 1654, Edward Firth bought the Manor from the City of London.

On his death in 1656, the manor passed to his son, Edward.

On his death in 1660, the manor passed to his mother, Mary.

On her death in 1672, the manor passed to her son-in-law, Daniel Greenwood.

On his death in 1679, the manor passed to his son, Daniel.

In the 18th century, the Manor was owned by Sir Joseph Radcliffe and the Radcliffe family

Marsden, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 7 miles west of Huddersfield.

The Mechanics' Institute here was designed by John Hogg.

On 15th January 1864, Mrs Sunderland gave a farewell concert at the Mechanics' Institute.

See Colne Valley, River Colne, Manor of Marsden and Enoch Taylor

Marston Moor, Battle of

Mattersey Hall, Yorkshire
Bawtry.

Members of the Huntriss family lived here

It is now a Christian college

Mayo, County
Republic of Ireland.

A number of Irish immigrants came over from County Mayo, Ireland in the mid-19th century, following a recruitment campaign there by Crossley's Carpets.

Twinned with Calderdale.

See Joseph Kneafsey and John Mulroy

Medlar, Lancashire
Or Medlar-with-Wesham. A township in Kirkham parish, Lancashire. From ½ to 2½ miles north of Kirkham

See Roger de Hutton

The Meeting of the Waters
A grassy area of the Haworth moors – the Sladen valley – above Haworth where the children – the Quartette – liked to play. There were several small springs in the area

Menston, West Yorkshire
Village and parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Bradford.

The West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum at Menston was in the Metropolitan Borough of Leeds. It has been converted to housing

Meols, Lancashire
Or North Meols. A village, also a township and parish in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village lies 2½ north-east of Southport.

See Warin son of Orm

Mereclough, Lancashire
Area of Cliviger.

See Mearclough, Sowerby Bridge

The place is mentioned in the Weavers' Rhyme

Methley Hall, Leeds
Methley Park, about 7 miles south-east of Leeds.

The hall was the seat of the Savile family, Earls of Mexborough, who held the manor for several centuries. The Saviles preferred Methley to their home at Bradley Hall, Greetland after this was damaged by fire in 1629.

The original 16th century manor-house was built by Sir Robert Waterton.

The Savile's demolished the house.

The new Hall was built by Sir John Savile, and extended by his son Henry. Only the hall and the rear part of the house remain.

This is discussed in the book The Old Halls & Manor Houses of Yorkshire.

See Robert Kershaw and Titus Salt

Methodist Chapel, Haworth
Built by Rev William Grimshaw.

An inscription over the door is the same motto as that on Aunt Branwell's teapot

Metz-en-Couture
Village in Northern France which was adopted by Halifax in 1921.

The village was left battered and destroyed after World War I, and many residents were left homeless. As part of a national scheme to help French towns, Mayor Thomas Hey led a deputation to the town in order to determine what the town needed after it was badly-damaged in World War I. They were so moved they pledged an interest-free loan of £5,000 to help rebuild the shattered community. In return, the village square was to be renamed Place d'Halifax. This took place in February 2011.

Strictly, not a twin town.

See Metz-En-Couture Communal Cemetery British Extension

Middleton Tower, Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Property bought by George Watkinson.

Other members of the family lived here, including Clare and Thomas Ramsden and Fanny and John Taylor Ramsden.

Some were buried in the churchyard nearby

Milnrow, Lancashire
Area of Rochdale. 14 miles south-west of Sowerby Bridge

Milnsbridge House
Aka Milnes bridge House: Dowker Street, Milnsbridge.

An earlier house on the site was occupied by

The present house was built around 1748.

Owners and tenants have included

Milnsbridge, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 2½ miles west of Huddersfield.

See Milnsbridge House, Sir Joseph Radcliffe and William Radcliffe

Mirfield, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 5 miles south-east of Brighouse

Mock Hall Farm, Hartshead
Leeds Road. Dated 1731. Once called Mock Beggar Hall

Moravian Sunday School, Wyke

Morley
In the mid-19th century, the wapentake of Agbrigg & Morley split into 2: Agbrigg and Morley.

Morley Division included Birstall, Bradford, Calverley, and parts of Huddersfield, Batley, and Dewsbury

Moscar Cross
A stone way-marker on the Hallam Moors near Hathersage. It stands at the crossroads of the north-south road into Yorkshire, and the east-west road from Sheffield to Manchester.

It may be a model for the name of Whitcross in Jane Eyre

Mountain Mills, Queensbury

Musoma, Tanzania
Town in the Mara region on Lake Victoria. Twinned with Calderdale

N

Neddy Wood
Another name for Old Hanna Wood in Judy Woods

Nelson, Lancashire
A town in the Borough of Pendle, 13 miles north-west of Todmorden.

It was originally 2 villages: Great Marsden and Little Marsden

See Colne

New Grange, Headingley
Owners and tenants have included

In 1672, Anthony Wade rebuilt New Grange.

In 1752, the property was rebuilt in Palladian style by Walter Wade

William Beckett acquired the property [1832].

In 1910, the property was sold to Leeds Corporation.

It became the city's first teacher training college, and is now [2015] the Beckett Park Campus of Leeds Metropolitan University

New Halifax
An area of Thornton, Bradford, near Havelock Square.

So called on account of the large number of weavers living here in the mid-19th century

New Leeds
New Leeds was a description of an area at the bottom of Leeds Road, Bradford

New Plymouth, New Zealand
City and district on the west coast of the North Island of New Zealand.

The area was first settled by immigrants from Devon, England.

Many local people subsequently emigrated to this region in the 19th century, including

It has been suggested that Francis Ullathorne Gledhill and Charles Hursthouse – author of An Account of the Settlement of New Plymouth – met in 1849 as Gledhill sailed back to England to marry and Hursthouse returned to publish his book and to promote New Plymouth. Gledhill may then have gone on to promote the idea of emigration to people in Calderdale.

Some other local connections with New Plymouth include Dr Ernest Faber Fookes.

See New Zealand Company

North Bierley, West Riding
Aka Bierley.

Township in the Parish of Bradford, Morley division of Agbrigg & Morley, liberty of Pontefract, 2½ miles from Bradford, 8 miles from Halifax, 12½ miles from Wakefield.

The Domesday entry for Bierley reads:


Stainulf had four carucates of land to be taxed, where there may be two ploughs. Ilbert de Lacy has it and it is waste. Value in King Edward's time ten shillings. Wood pasture half a mile long and half broad
 

See Bailiff Bridge, Daisy Cottages, North Bierley, Horse Close Cottages, North Bierley, Richard son of Essolf de Tong, Dr Richard Richardson, William Richardson, Bottomley family of Shelf and Wyke

North Brow Wood
A part of Judy Woods which overlooked the Woodside Estate

Norton Conyers
16th century house near Ripon, North Yorkshire, with a walled garden, orangery and herbaceous borders.

It was built by the Norton family.

Since 1624, the house has been owned by the Graham family.

Charlotte Brontë visited the house with the Sidgwick family in the summer of 1839 as they travelled to Swarcliffe, Harrogate.

A family legend concerning a madwoman confined in an attic is said to have inspired the mad Mrs Rochester in Jane Eyre, and the house is a possible model for Thornfield Hall.

Wath Church is nearby

Nutfield Priory, Surrey
John Gibson built a house here for Joshua Fielden, which was to be similar to Stansfield Hall, Todmorden.

The Priory is now a country house hotel

O

Oakroyd Hall, Birkenshaw
Owners and tenants have included

See Birkenshaw

Oakwell Hall, Birstall
The house is mentioned in 1311. The stone manor house was built in 1583. The house was owned by relatives of the Nusseys, and Charlotte visited the house when she stayed with Ellen Nussey, and scratched her initials on a piece of window glass here.

In 1928, the house and estate was bought by the local council. It is now Oakwell Hall County Park.

The house was the model for Fieldhead in Shirley.

See Brontë Way and Brontë Ways

Oakworth
Village near Haworth. This is the location of the Keighley & Worth Valley railway station which serves Haworth.

The station was used as the location for the 1970 film The Railway Children

Old Hall, Haworth
Sun Street. Aka Emmott Hall. Tudor building. It is said that a tunnel runs underground from the hall to Bridgehouse Beck. There is a carved stone head over the main doorway. John Nelson preached here when Rev William Grimshaw would not allow him to enter Haworth church

Old Hanna Wood
Aka Neddy Wood. A part of Judy Woods which extends from the Judy Brig towards Delph Hill between High Fernley Road and Royds Hall Lane.

It is said that the eponymous Hanna may have been the mother of Anne Wood who married James Hanson of Woodside Farm, Norwood Green in 1729

Old White Lion, Haworth
Pub. Rev Brontë lectured to the local Conservative club which held its meetings here

Oldham, Lancashire
Town in Lancashire. 15 miles south of Todmorden

Ormskirk, Lancashire

Oswaldkirk, Yorkshire
A village and parish in the Wapentake of Ryedale, 3 miles south of Helmsley, North Yorkshire.

Named after St Oswald, king of Northumbria, who was killed in 642.

See Roger Dodsworth

Ottiwell's Mills, Marsden

Ousefleet, East Riding
Hamlet south of the River Ouse, 5 miles est of Goole.

See Sir Bryan de Thornhill

Outlane
A village in Kirklees which would have been in Calderdale if a 19?? proposal to use the M62 to divide the two councils had gone through.

See Outlane in place names, Roman Circus, Outlane, St Mary Magdalene Church, Outlane and Parish of Stainland & Outlane

Oxenhope
Village near Haworth.

See Keighley & Worth Valley railway

Oxenhope, West Yorkshire
Village near Bradford. 9 miles north-west of Halifax. It is at the head of the Worth valley.

The name is derived from ox and hope or op [a shallow shelf or valley] and probably means a valley where oxen are found.

Rev Joseph Brett Grant raised funds for the construction of the church of St Mary the Virgin here. The church was completed in 1849.

See Brontë Ways and Worth Valley railway

P

Peep Green, Hartshead
Originally Pipe Green. The name means the green where the stream flows.

There were several Chartist meetings here.

  • In October 1838
  • On Whit Monday, 21st May 1839, a meeting of 250,000 Chartists – said to have been the largest-ever political meeting in England – was addressed on the Green by Feargus O'Connor and others – including Ben Rushton and William Thornton
  • On 15th October 1839, the West Riding Radical demonstration took place here with around 7,500 people present
  • In March 1848

On such occasions, there was music, food, drink and other attractions.

See Low Moor Iron Company, Norwood Green and The Struggles of an Old Chartist

Pendle, Lancashire
15 miles north-west of Todmorden.

See Nelson, Lancashire and Pendle Witches

Pendle Witches
In 1612, England's most famous witch trials took place at Pendle in Lancashire.

See Bearnshaw Tower, Todmorden, Wife Loynd and Giles Robinson

Pensionnat Heger
Maison d'Education pour les Jeunes Demoiselles, 32 Rue d'Isabelle, Brussels. School run by Zoë Heger-Parent, the second wife of Constantin Heger. She had inherited the school from her aunt, an ex-nun, La Tante de Charleville.

In February 1842, in order to acquire language skills and inspired by Martha Taylor's experience in Brussels, Charlotte and Anne enrolled as pupil-teachers at the school financed by their Aunt Branwell. The wife of Rev Evan Jenkins found them places at the school.

Rev Brontë accompanied the girls on their journey to Belgium, as did Martha Taylor who attended the Château de Koekelberg at the same time.

Maria Miller and the Wheelwright girls joined the school later.

Charlotte settled in well and liked the place. Emily was unsociable, disliked the place and everything at the Pensionnat – she made one friend, Louise de Bassompierre, her music pupil. She was, however, impressed by the Gothic work of Goethe which she encountered at the school.

In July 1842, Mme Heger suggested that the sisters stay on at the school as teacher-pupils.

In November 1842, when their Aunt Branwell fell ill, Charlotte and Anne returned to Haworth, although they only arrived after the funeral.

In January 1843, Charlotte returned to Brussels as a teacher in the school. She was the only English person at the school. Emily did not return, but stayed behind at the Parsonage as housekeeper.

Charlotte finally left the school on New Year's Day, January 1844.

The Athénée Royal boys' school stood nearby, across L' Allée Défendue.

The school was the model for those in The Professor and Villette

Penwortham, Lancashire
A village, also a township and parish in Lancashire. The village lies 1½ mile south-west of Preston.

See Warin son of Orm

Ponden
Village about 3 miles from Haworth

Ponden Clough
or Ponden Beck. A stream on Stanbury Moor. It flows into Ponden Reservoir

See Ponden Kirk

Ponden Hall
Present name for Ponden House

Ponden House
Built by William Heaton in 1513. It was rebuilt in 1634, and again in 1801.

About 1640, Henry Casson, the second husband of the wife of one of the Heaton family, ejected the family and occupied the House for around 20 years. His stepson, the rightful heir, was left uneducated by Casson.

The house was rebuilt in 1801.

The Brontë children used the library at the house. Robert Heaton lived there at the time.

The house is now called Ponden Hall.

Ponden Old House and Ponden Reservoir are nearby.

This was a possible model for Thrushcross Grange in Wuthering Heights. The interior may also have been a model for Wuthering Heights

Ponden Kirk
A natural rocky outcrop on Stanbury Moor and about 2 miles from Stanbury. Ponden Clough flows down the valley.

It may be a model for Penistone Crags in Wuthering Heights

Ponden Old House
Built in 1634. It stands near Ponden House. There was a tree whose branches beat against the window

Ponden Reservoir
See Ponden Clough, River Worth

Pontefract Castle
Built around 1070 by Ilbert de Lacy

Pontefract, Siege of

Preston, East Riding of Yorkshire

Preston, Lancashire

Pudsey, West Yorkshire
Market town.

It became part of Leeds Metropolitan Borough [1974].

See Fulneck

Q

Quarmby
An area of Kirklees, lying 2 miles west of Huddersfield town centre.

Recorded as Cornebi in Domesday Book and as waste.

See Quarmby surname and Quarmby Hall

Queensbury
District of Bradford, to the north of Halifax above Boothtown

Queenshead
An early name for Queensbury taken from the Old Queens Head, Queenshead coaching inn which bore the picture of Queen Anne's head.

Until Rev Daniel Taylor and his brother built a Baptist chapel here around 1773, there was only the inn and a few small cottages.

The name was changed on 26th May 1863, becoming Queensbury. At the time, other suggestions were Albert Town and Fosterville.

See Shibdendale Rifle Volunteers

R

Rawcliffe, Lancashire
Middle Rawcliffe & Out Rawcliffe. A township and chapelry in St Michael-on-Wyre parish, Lancashire. 4 miles north-east of Poulton, north-west of Great Eccleston.

Originally, these were separate manors and assessed separately in 1066 (Domesday Book), then part of the Preston lordship of Earl Tostig.

See Orm son of Magnus and John de Thornhill

Rawdon
District of leeds

Red Lion, Wyke

Reedness, East Riding
A village on the south bank of the River Ouse, 3 miles east of the town of Goole.

See Roger de Stansfeld and William de Stansfeld

The Retreat, York
Clifton. Aka The Quakers' Asylum. A private asylum for people with mental & psychological problems.

Both Dr William Belcombe [1813] and his son Dr Henry Stephen Belcombe [1817] were physicians here.


It is often unclear which Dr Belcombe is referred to in reports of the time
 

In 1817, Eliza Raine was in care here.

In 1819, a former patient, Jane Horsman of York, took Belcombe, his partner Alexander Mather, and others to court for wrongful imprisonment.

In January 1855, a writ of habeas corpus was served on William Pinder, keeper of The Retreat, lunatic asylum, for wrongful imprisonment of William Greenwood.

In 1868, Sarah Elizabeth Bell is recorded as going to

the Friends Retreat at Fulford, York, an asylum which accommodated paupers, and where unemployed servants resided

See Martha Eleanor Mallinson Maude, Dr Harold Frederick Shipman and Brigadier General Richard Edgar Sugden

The Retreat, York: Clifton. Aka The Quakers' Asylum. A private asylum for people with mental & psychological problems.

Both Dr William Belcombe [1813] and his son Dr Henry Stephen Belcombe [1817] were physicians here.


It is often unclear which Dr Belcombe is referred to in reports of the time
 

In 1817, Eliza Raine was in care here.

In 1819, a former patient, Jane Horsman of York, took Belcombe, his partner Alexander Mather, and others to court for wrongful imprisonment.

In January 1855, a writ of habeas corpus was served on William Pinder, keeper of The Retreat, lunatic asylum, for wrongful imprisonment of William Greenwood.

In 1868, Sarah Elizabeth Bell is recorded as going to

the Friends Retreat at Fulford, York, an asylum which accommodated paupers, and where unemployed servants resided

See Dr Harold Frederick Shipman and Brigadier General Richard Edgar Sugden

The Retreat, York: Clifton. Aka The Quakers' Asylum. A private asylum for people with mental & psychological problems.

Both Dr William Belcombe [1813] and his son Dr Henry Stephen Belcombe [1817] were physicians here.


It is often unclear which Dr Belcombe is referred to in reports of the time
 

In 1817, Eliza Raine was in care here.

In 1819, a former patient, Jane Horsman of York, took Belcombe, his partner Alexander Mather, and others to court for wrongful imprisonment.

In January 1855, a writ of habeas corpus was served on William Pinder, keeper of The Retreat, lunatic asylum, for wrongful imprisonment of William Greenwood.

In 1868, Sarah Elizabeth Bell is recorded as going to

the Friends Retreat at Fulford, York, an asylum which accommodated paupers, and where unemployed servants resided

See Dr Harold Frederick Shipman and Brigadier General Richard Edgar Sugden

Rillington Place, London
Street in Notting Hill.

Number 10 Rillington Place was the scene of the murders committed by John Reginald Halliday Christie

Riorges, France
Town twinned with Elland in 1978.

See Elland Riorges Link

Ripley's: Edward Ripley & Son
Bradford dyers which evolved from George Ripley & Son which had been established by George Ripley in 1820.

The company was established after the death of George.

Partners were Edward Ripley and Henry William Ripley

Rochdale, Lancashire
Town in Lancashire. 10 miles south-west of Todmorden.

See Rochdale Parish Church

Roddlesworth, Lancashire
A village in the chapelry of Withnell, parish of Leyland, Lancashire. South-west of Blackburn, East of Whittle-le-Woods.

See Orm son of Magnus

Roe Head, Mirfield
Aka Row Head. Early 18th century house. The estate was owned by The Armytage family then Mrs Marriott.

From 1830, a girls' school here was run by the four sisters, Misses Margaret, Catherine, Marianne, and Eliza Wooler.

Charlotte Brontë attended the Misses Wooler's girls' school here for 2 years from 1831 – see Rev Thomas Atkinson. There were about 10 pupils when Charlotte arrived. In 1831, she won a silver medal for her manners and most outstanding girl in the school. She met her life-long friends, Ellen Nussey and Mary Taylor, at the school. Other pupils included E. Cook, E. Lister.

Charlotte was a teacher at the school between 1835-1838. Her appointment enabled Emily to attend, her fees being deducted from Charlotte's salary. They arrived at the school on 29th July 1835. In October 1835, Emily became ill – she was homesick and she lost weight – and returned to Haworth, and Anne took her place. In November 1837, Anne fell ill with a life-threatening illness, and returned to Haworth but, after recovering, she did not return to Roe Head.

The school moved to Dewsbury Moor in early 1838.

Charlotte resigned after Anne became ill, but returned in 1838, by which time the school had moved to Dewsbury Moor. Charlotte broke down at the school and returned to Haworth for good.

The Woolers left the school in 1841.

The Misses Hemingway ran the school later.

In her biography of Charlotte Brontë, Mrs Gaskell wrote

In no other part of England, I fancy, are the centuries brought into such close, strange contrast as in the district in which Roe Head is situated

Owners and tenants have included

Roman Circus, Outlane
In 2010, members of the Huddersfield & District Archæological Society discovered a Roman circus in Outlane

Rombald's Moor
An area of moorland which includes Ilkley Moor.

James Murgatroyd owned land here

Roncq, France
Town in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of northern France twinned with Todmorden in the 1980s

Royds Hall Great Wood
A part of Judy Woods which takes its name from Royds Hall. There was coal mining here. Recorded in 1850

Ruby's, Wyke

Rudding Park, Harrogate
Sir Joseph Radcliffe came to live here. Robert Dennis Chantrell was brought in to complete the house which was unfinished at the time.

Sir Joseph Radcliffe of Rudding Park, Harrogate gave 7 acres of land for the Glebe of St Thomas's Church, Greetland [1863-1877].

The house is now a hotel

Rufford Abbey
The Nottinghamshire family seat of the Savile family and the Barons Savile of Rufford is near Mansfield.

In 1626, Sir George Savile bought the property from George Talbot, the 6th Earl of Salisbury.

On the death of William Savile, the second Marquis of Halifax in 1700, the baronetcy and the seat at Rufford passed to the Saviles of Lupset.

The estates were sold in 1938 to pay death duties.

See Henry Savile and Sir William Savile

Rugby School, Warwickshire
A number of local boys were educated at Rugby School, including George Hammond Aykroyd, Harold Hammond Aykroyd, Arthur Reginald Baldwin, John Herbert Lacy Baldwin, Percy Gratrix Baldwin, Frank Laurence Lucas, Arthur Selby McCrea, George Whiteley Ward and John Nigel Whitley.

See Inez Mary Margaret Oakley

Rydings, Birstall
Early 18th century house. Home of the Nussey family. Charlotte paid her first visit in September 1832. Branwell accompanied her. The family moved from here to go to Brookroyd in 1837. The house is now demolished.

The house had battlements and may be a model for Thornfield Hall in Jane Eyre

S

Saddleworth, Lancashire
An earlier name was Quick.

It was a part of the Wapentake of Agbrigg & Morley, and within the West Riding until 1972.

It is now a part of the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham.

20 miles south-west of Halifax

Saint Bartholomew's Church, Dean Head

Saint George's Church, Hanover Square, London
Many couples from Calderdale were married at the Church, including:

Rev Arthur Edmund John Burton Barrow
John William Berry
Sir Hylton Ralph Brisco

James Clay
Agnes Caroline Cowell
Rev William Crowther

John Dearden

Thomas Fielden
Robert John Foster

William Goodyear
Rev Percival Gough

Dr Alfred Mantle

Wallace Lea Norris

William Henry Peel
Jonathan Edward Priestley

George Taylor Ramsden
Francis Rhodes

Robert Whitworth
Thomas Wilkinson

Saint Ives, Bingley
Originally known as Harden Grange. The name was changed around 1800.

The valuable estate was owned by members of the Ferrand family, including John Ferrand of Stockton-upon-Tees.

Charlotte Brontë declined an invitation to visit Harden Grange.

The estate was passed down the Ferrand family.

John's daughter Sarah – wife of Currer Fothergill Busfeild – was the first to inherit, and, being widowed by that time, she reverted back to her maiden name.

Around the same time, her 3 [then] unmarried daughters – Elizabeth Octavia, Caroline and Emily Lucinda – took the surname Busfeild-Ferrand

Then Sarah's eldest son William inherited and had to change his name.

Then William, son of Johnson Atkinson.

The last name change was in 1890. The estate was becoming too expensive and was given to Bingley council around 1927

Saint Mary's Church, Wyke

Saint Mary's, Oxenhope
Built in Norman style about 1850 for the more remote parts of the area covered by Haworth Church

Saint Michael & All Angels, Haworth
Haworth Church.

The Church is mentioned in 1317, but is probably much earlier.

The Church was built in 1655.

 
Incumbents, Curates, & Perpetual Curates of Haworth, Stanbury and Oxenhope, at St Michael and All Angels, Haworth within the Parish of Bradford, have included


 

John Wesley preached here.

Until the Rev Brontë arrived and drove them out, the local women used the gravestones in the Churchyard to hang out their washing.

Rev Brontë installed the organ [1833]. Branwell was the Church organist for a time. See Abraham Sunderland.

Rev Brontë installed a peal of bells in the tower [1849].

The tower was pock-marked with the shots fired from Rev Brontë's pistol.

Arthur Nicholls complained that the Church was a house of prayer, and not a shrine to his wife or her sisters.

The Church was demolished by Rev Wade and rebuilt – retaining the original tower – in 1879. The tower was raised by an extra storey and a clock was installed. Wade planted trees in the Churchyard.

In 1882, a brass plaque was placed in the Church floor marking the vault and recording the deaths of Emily and Charlotte.

The present appearance of the Church dates from 1962.

Two new Churches were built later for outlying parts of the parish: St Mary's, Oxenhope, and Stanbury Mission Church.

See Brontë Memorial Chapel, Haworth Churchyard, St Mary's, Oxenhope and Stanbury Mission Church

Saint Paul's Church, Denholme
Denholme.

The Church was founded by William Foster, Henry Foster, and Jonathan Knowles

Built in 1846.

The Church is no longer used and stands empty

Saint Peter's Church, Leeds
The Parish Church in Leeds is the Minster and Parish Church of St Peter-at-Leeds

Saint Pol sur Ternoise, France
Town twinned with Hebden Bridge in 1979.

See St Pol Square, Hebden Bridge

Salendine Nook
A district of Kirklees Huddersfield lying south-east of Holywell Green.

The name may be derived from the Celandine flower.

When they fled from Scotland in the mid-16th century, the Morton family – who became notable members of the community – settled in the area because there was a particular tpye of clay which was good for making their pottery.

There are many local links to Salendine Nook, especially with the Baptist community there, including James Cartledge, Henry Clayton, Holywell Green Baptist Church, Rev Dr Enoch Mellor, Rev Thomas Mellor, Edmond de Morton, Enos Morton, Enos Morton & Sons, Rev James Parker, Rishworth Particular Baptist Chapel, Salendine Nook Baptist Chapel: Graveyard, Salendine Nook Baptist Church, Rev Joshua Wood and The Morton family

Salendine Nook Baptist Chapel: Graveyard

Salendine Nook Baptist Church

Saltaire
Model town designed near Bradford for Titus Salt by Lockwood & Mawson.

It was built in 1851.

In 1987, the site was bought by Jonathan Silver.

In December 2001, it was designated a World Heritage Site as the finest example in England of an integrated textile mill surrounded by a whole model village built for its workforce.

Chris Helme writes that


Around 1850, Sir Titus Salt wanted to build a mill, and a model village for the workers, along Armytage Road, Brighouse, but the Armytage family rejected the proposal; Salt then went on to establish Saltaire instead
 

See Ritz, Brighouse

Saltaire

Sandal Castle
Sandal, Wakefield.

In 1100, the Second Earl Warenne began building the first Sandal castle on the right bank of the river Calder. This was a wooden construction, and from the summit of the mound much of the Calder valley and the manor could be seen. Any military movement at Pontefract Castle, the seat of the de Lacy barons could also be observed. Subsequent Earls of Warren extended the castle.

In 1460, the Battle of Wakefield was fought nearby during the Wars of the Roses when Richard, Duke of York was killed.

The castle was twice besieged in the 1640s by the Parliamentarians in the Civil War, and was later stripped of its defences.

Remains of the 13th century stone castle and the motte and bailey can still be seen.

See Sir John Savile

Sandal, West Yorkshire
A berewick near Wakefield. Mentioned in Domesday Book

See Sandal Castle

Scammonden
District of Kirklees.

The name is recorded as Scambanden in 1275, Schambabdene in 1286, and Scamendene in 1349 and means Skambani's valley.

It has been suggested that the name may be derived from S'Cambodunum.

See St Bartholomew's Church, Dean Head

Scarborough
Seaside town on the east coast of Yorkshire. It was also a spa town of which the waters had medicinal properties.

Anne visited Scarborough many times with the Robinson family, and became very fond of the place. They stayed at Wood's Lodgings at 7 The Cliff – now St Nicholas's Cliff – in the middle of the bay. The Grand Hotel now stands on the site.

Anne died in the town, and was buried at St Mary's, Scarborough.

In Agnes Grey, Agnes and her mother establish a school in a seaside town which was based on Scarborough

Scargill Estate, Kettlewell
Clement Holdsworth bought the estate [1900].

George Bertram Holdsworth died here [1942]

Scholemoor Cemetery & Crematorium

Scholes, Holmfirth
Village near Holmfirth, Kirklees. 11¾ miles south of Halifax.

The name comes from the Norse Scholes.

Peter Brook and Roy Castle were born here

Scholes, West Yorkshire
Village near Cleckheaton, Kirklees. 1½ miles east of Bailiff Bridge.

The name was originally Scales

Seacroft, West Riding
A village in the wapentake of Skyrack. Now a suburb of Leeds

Selby, Yorkshire
A town standing on the River Ouse in North Yorkshire.

14 miles north of York

Sheepridge, Huddersfield
A suburb of Huddersfield, lying 2 miles north-west of Huddersfield town centre, between Brighouse and Huddersfield

Shipley, West Yorkshire
Part of the Metropolitan Borough of Bradford.

See Joseph Craven

Shitlington, West Riding
Township in the Parish of Thornhill, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg & Morley, liberties of Pontefract and Wakefield.

The township of Middlestown, or Middle Shitlington, 3 miles south of Dewsbury, 4 miles from Wakefield contained Netherton, or Nether Shitlington, and Overton or Over Shitlington.

See Adam son of Peter de Birkin, Roger de Birkin, Essolf and Roger de Tong

Shropshire Iron Company
Wellington, Shropshire.

Established by George Patchett and William Mowburn JP of Wykeham Park, Banbury. George's sons, James and Percy, ran the business.

In 1872, they bought and extended the Trench Iron Works [established 1866] which had failed in 1869.

In 1879, they producing 400 tons of wire rods and 100-150 tons of wire a week. Much of their production was concerned with the Wellington-Stafford railway which had begun in 1849.

It was said that

[the local iron works] were managed by local Wesleyans, one of them Lt. Col. James Patchett, ruled Hadley in the manner of a benevolent squire

From 1873, the Patchett family had a controlling interest. James Patchett was Managing Director from the 1870s until the General Strike of 1926. The works closed in 1931 making about 400 men redundant

Skelfler, Market Weighton
This was the family home of the Lister family.

When Captain Jeremy Lister married Rebecca Battle, his wife's money enabled them to buy the Skelfler estate. The family moved here in 1793. Anne Lister grew up here.

In 1808, Lister moved the family from Skelfler to Halifax where they lived at St Helen's House, Halifax. The Skelfler property was let out to a tenant and much of its farming equipment sold.

The Skelfler estate was offered for sale at auction in 1822, but failed to meet its reserve at auction.

The property was later inherited by Marian Lister, who lived there from 1836

Skibo Castle, Dornoch, Scotland
In 1867, Evan Charles Sutherland-Walker sold Crow Nest Mansion, Grange, Lightcliffe, and Cliffe Hill Mansion and moved here.

From the early 1900s, it was the home of Andrew Carnegie. In 1905, a letter from Carnegie, on the opening of the Sowerby Bridge Library, was sent from here

Skyrack
A wapentake of the West Riding. Comprising Skyrack Lower and Skyrack Upper.

See Baildon and Seacroft

Sladen Beck
A stream which flows down Haworth Moor.

South Dean Beck is a tributary of the stream.

See the Meeting of the Waters

Slaithwaite, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 5 miles south-west of Huddersfield. On the River Colne and the Huddersfield Narrow Canal.


Pronunciation: Slawit with the stress on the first syllable
 

Somerleyton Hall, Suffolk
Estate near Lowestoft. In 1843, Sir Morton Peto, bought the property.

In 1863, Sir Francis Crossley bought Somerleyton when his fellow parliamentarian was in financial difficulties.

Crossley died there in 1872, but was brought back to Halifax for burial in the General Cemetery.

Many of the contents of Belle Vue were moved to Somerleyton in 1889 when his widow moved there.

See Baron Somerleyton

Sothill, West Riding
Now Soothill,

Township in the parish of Dewsbury, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg & Morley, liberty of Wakefield.

2 miles from Dewsbury, 4 miles from Wakefield, 12 miles from Halifax.

There were two villages in the township: Upper Soothill and Nether Soothill.

See Helias son of Essolf de Sothill and Sothill / de Sothill Family

South Dean Beck
A stream which flows down Haworth Moor, and becomes the Brontë waterfall. It is a tributary of Sladen Beck

Southport, Lancashire
In the 19th century, the Lancashire sea-side resort had a number of health facilities offering hydrotherapy and electrotherapy cures and treatments, including

  • Sunnyside Hydro Institution, Trafalgar Road, Birkdale, North Moels, Southport
  • 98 Manchester Road, North Moels, Southport [1881]
  • Rotunda Cottage, North Moels, Southport

Several people from Halifax and district were recorded as attending these.

Some of those recorded in Southport include

George Crossley Appleyard

Joseph Bates
Ralph Eagland Bray

John Feather
John Helliwell Fleming

John, son of Clarence William Greenwood

Louisa Hemingway
Orlando Hinchliffe
William Hinchliffe
Richard Hoyle

Edwin Lumby

George Sagar
Allen Smith
Joshua Smithson
Southport, Lancashire
Dr Edmund Strickland
Richard Sugden

Herbert Wood

An 1899 advertisement for the business in a Halifax newspaper announced

SOUTHPORT – SUNNYSIDE HYDRO. COMPANY

Physician – Dr. Barnardo. Summer & Winter residences.

Under New Management. Splendid situation replete with every comfort. Fine Sea View, near Parks, Pier & Trams.

Terms from 7/6d. per day including Turkish & Russian and other Baths.

Massage & Galvanium. Manager; Jas Marshall

Stainborough
Township in the parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract.

2½ miles south-west of Barnsley, 5½ miles from Penistone

See Adam son of Peter de Birkin

Stanbury
Village about 2 miles from Haworth.

See Crow Hill

Stanbury Mission Church
Built about 1850 for the more remote parts of the area covered by Haworth Church. The church has the top tier of the original three-tier pulpit from St Michael and All Angels, Haworth

Stanbury, West Yorkshire
Area of Bradford. 12 miles north-west of Halifax

Stanley, West Riding
Village in Wakefield

Star, Roberttown

Storthes Hall, Kirkburton

Between 1901 and 1991, this was the West Riding Lunatic Asylum.

In 1911, it was recorded at Stanley Road, Wakefield.


Question: Does anyone know if the Stanley Road address is the same as Kirkburton?

 

The catchment area extended from Barnsley to Hebden Bridge and included Calderdale.

Until 1948, each town council was financially responsible for any of its certified residents who were incarcerated there.

Unruly people were often threatened with

The green van will come and get you

Local people who are recorded as inmates at the Asylum included

The Asylum closed [1990s].

Huddersfield University students' accommodation has been built on the site.

See Brighouse Storthes Hall Society, Albert Henry Nutter and Lewis Brook Whiteley

Strakonice, Czech Republic
Town in South Bohemia twinned with Calderdale in 1992. There are Calderdale Information Desks in Strakonice, Blatna, Volyne, Vodnany informing visitors about the past and the present of Calderdale, twinning activities and the plans for the future.

In May 2000, a cheque for £5000 was sent by the people of Strakonice to the Mayor of Calderdale for help with the floods in the Calderdale area.

Stratford Park Estate, Stroud
Mansion – originally Stratford House – designed by Keck.

In 1918, George Frederick Ormerod bought the Stratford Park Estate.

He had the second floor of the house removed. His Yorkshire builders carried out the work. The parapets and chimneys were reconstructed at the lower level.

It was Ormerod's wish that, upon his death, the Estate be sold to Stroud District Council.

The sale took place in 1935.

In 1937, an open air-swimming pool was completed and opened to the public.

it is now the Stratford Park & Leisure Centre

Sun Hotel, Haworth
West Lane. Built around 1770

Swinefleet, East Riding
A village on the south bank of the River Ouse, 2 miles south east of Goole.

See William de Stansfeld

T

Tankersley
Place near Barnsley in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Now South Yorkshire.

See Thomas de Eland, Thomas de Eland, Sir John Savile and Joanna Tankersley

Temperance Hotel, Haworth
123 Main Street. Stood between the shops of William Hartley and Samuel Feather.

See Temperance

Temple Newsam, Leeds
In 1086, Ilbert de Lacy, he owned NeuhusumTemple Newsam, Leeds.

The present building is Tudor-Jacobean with the grounds by Capability Brown.

See Thomas Cordingley, Sir Arthur Ingram, Charles Ingram, Viscount Irwin and Robert Kershaw

Thieveley
Area of Holme Chapel, north-west of Todmorden

Thistleton, Lancashire
A part of Greenhalgh with Thistleton.

A township in Kirkham parish, Lancashire. 3 miles north-west of Kirkham. In 1066, this formed part of Earl Tostig's Preston lordship.

See John Gernet, Roger de Hutton and Orm son of Magnus

Thornhill Hall, Dewsbury
A grade II listed ruin, situated on a moated island in Rectory Park, Thornhill.

Originally the seat of the Thornhill family, it became the seat of the Savile family of Thornhill

Thornhill Power Station
Thornhill, West Yorkshire.

The last commercial use of the Calder & Hebble Navigation – the coal traffic – finally ended when the last coal barges unloaded here in 1981

Thornhill, West Riding
Township and Parish in the Agbrigg division of Agbrigg & Morley, liberty of Pontefract, 2 miles south of Dewsbury, 6 miles from Wakefield, 9½ from Huddersfield.

See Essolf, The Thornhill family of Rastrick, Thornhill, Thornhill Briggs, Thornhill Hall, Thornhill Power Station, Baronet Savile of Thornhill and Jordan de Thornhill

Thornhill, West Yorkshire
A village in Dewsbury.

See The Thornhill family of Rastrick, Thornhill, Thornhill Briggs, Thornhill Power Station, Baronet Savile of Thornhill and Jordan de Thornhill

Thornton, West Yorkshire
Area of Bradford. 7 miles north of Halifax.

Rev Patrick Brontë exchanged his living at Hartshead with that of Rev Thomas Atkinson of the Bell Chapel, Thornton.

The Parsonage was at 74 Market Street. It is now a restaurant.

Charlotte, Branwell, Emily and Anne were born here.

In 1820, Rev Brontë became Perpetual Curate at Haworth. A convoy of 7 carts carried the family and their belongings from Thornton to Haworth.

In the days of the Brontë family, the town had a maggotorium to produce bait for anglers.

Thorp Arch, Boston Spa
Thorp Arch & Boston Spa are villages near Wetherby, in the Leeds Metropolitan Borough.

Thorp Spa is recorded in 1744.

Calderdale people with links to Thorp Arch include

Thorp Green Hall, Little Ouseburn
Near York. Home of the Robinson family. Kirby Hall stood nearby.

The house was run by Thomas Sewell and his wife.

Anne worked as a governess here. After the death of Edmund Robinson, the family left Thorp Green Hall on 16th November 1846.

The hall burned down in the late 19th century. It was rebuilt in 1912 as Thorp Underwood Hall.

In Agnes Grey, Horton Lodge has some characteristics of Thorp Green Hall

See Little Ouseburn Church

Thorpe Hesley, West Riding
In the township of Kimberworth, and parishes of Wath upon Dearne and Rotherham, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill.

4¼ miles north-west of Rotherham, 8 miles from Barnsley.

See John son of Essolf de Holdsworth

Three Nuns, Mirfield

Thurstonland, West Yorkshire
Area of Kirklees. 5½ miles south of Huddersfield, and 10½ miles south of Brighouse

Tolson Museum, Huddersfield
In 1919, Legh Tolson, who was living at Ravensnowle Hall, made a gift of his house to the Huddersfield Corporation as a tribute and lasting memorial to his two nephews: Robert Huntriss Tolson and James Martin Tolson.

This later become the Tolson Museum. It opened on 27th May 1922.

A plaque to the two brothers, is displayed at the Museum.

See Brighouse Museum

Tong, West Riding
Township in the Parish of Birstall, Morley division of Agbrigg & Morley, liberty of Pontefract. It lies 4 miles to the south-east of Bradford, 6 miles from Wakefield, 7 miles from Leeds, and about 11 miles north-east of Halifax.

The Domesday entry for Tong reads:


Stainulf had four carucates of land to be taxed, where there may be two ploughs. Ilbert de Lacy has it, but it is waste. Value in King Edward's time twenty shillings. Wood pasture half a mile long and half broad
 

In the Pipe Rolls of 1165, it is recorded as Tuenche.

See Essolf, Illustrated Rambles from Hipperholme to Tong and Richard son of Essolf de Tong

Top Withens
A 16th century farmhouse about 3 miles from Haworth. It was inhabited until March 1926. It has since fallen into disrepair.

The farm was also known as Higher Withens. Middle Withens and Lower Withens were demolished in the 19th century.

The location of the building may be a model for that of Wuthering Heights.

See Brontë bridge, Cuckoo stone, Wuthering Heights Walk

Tyburn, York
A general name for the gallows in York where felons were hanged.

At York, there was

  • a set of gallows at York Castle [opened 1st March 1379, last used August 1801, and removed April 1812]
  • a Tyburn without Micklegate Bar [recorded 1573]
  • a gallows at St Leonard's, Green Dykes, without Walmgate Bar [recorded 1575]
  • a new drop behind the Castle walls [first used 28th August 1802]
  • a set of gallows at the York City Gaol, Bishophill [opened in 1807]

Several local felons – including the coiners and Luddites – were executed here. Some of these were

Thomas Boys
John Brigg

Isaac Charlesworth
Joshua Clayton

George Bell for forging the will of Ralph Dalton
Charles Dimmey
John Dobson
John Dove

Thomas Boys & Richard Boys for the robbery of Abraham Earnshaw

William Field

Benjamin Gartside
John Greenwood

George Harger
David Hartley
William Hartley
Job Hey
John Hill

Robert Iredale

Joseph King
George Mellor
Benjamin Micklethwaite

Matthew Normington

James Oldfield

Michael Pickles

Rev Edmund Robinson

John Scott
Michael Shaw
Joseph Shepherd
Christopher Singleton
Henry Smelt
Thomas Smith
Henry Sutcliffe

Robert Thomas
William Thorpe
Andrew Tucker

Mr Watson
Richard Watson
William Cowan & William Hall for the attempted murder of John Williamson

London's Tyburn stood at what is now Marble Arch

See Tyburn Tales

U

Undercliffe Cemetery

Upper Hoyland, West Riding
A township in the parish of Wath upon Dearne, liberty of Tickhill. 5¾ miles from Barnsley, 6¼ miles from Rotherham.

See Adam son of Peter de Birkin

V

Victoria Hall, Queensbury
Aka Victoria Institute. A public hall designed by Thomas Henry Healey and Francis Healey for Foster's in 1888-1891 as a memorial to the Jubilee of Queen Victoria. It served as a concert hall, social club, educational institute and recreation centre for the people of Queensbury.

It opened on 17th January 1891, and was named in honour of the Queen's Jubilee of 1887. There were reading and smoking rooms for older people, a well-equipped boys' club and a separate club for girls and women.

It has been owned by the local authority since 1952 when Queensbury Council bought the hall for £2,500.

Sir Edward Elgar visited in 1921.

See John Thomas Ackroyd

W

Wakefield, West Yorkshire
City lying 16 miles south-east of Halifax.

It was the county town of the West Riding from 1889, and is now the administrative capital of West Yorkshire.

The 15th century Cathedral, restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott, has the tallest spire in Yorkshire [247 ft]

The metropolitan district includes

See Diocese of Wakefield

Walton, West Riding
A village in the parish of Sandal Magna, Agbrigg wapentake, liberty of Wakefield.

3 miles south east of Wakefield.

See Thomas Savile and Thomas Savile

Warstein, Germany
Town twinned with Hebden Bridge

Wellhouse Chapel
Mirfield. Moravian Church of Rev James La Trobe.

This was a model for Wellwood House in Agnes Grey

Wellington
Shropshire. Rev Patrick Brontë was curate at All Saint's Church here in 1808, after moving from Wethersfield. William Morgan, a fellow curate at Wellington, was engaged to Jane Fennell, and took Patrick to visit her father, John Fennell at Woodhouse Grove School. Thus, Patrick came to Yorkshire

Wentworth, West Riding
In the parish of Wath upon Dearne, upper division of Strafforth & Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill.

5 miles north-west of Rotherham, 9 miles from Barnsley.

See John son of Essolf de Holdsworth

Whalley Abbey, Lancashire
A Cistercian abbey established in 1296 by Henry de Lacy, a group of monks from Stanlow Abbey on the Mersey. After the dissolution, much of the building was demolished and a house built on the site.

See Mount Cross, Todmorden, Robert de Stansfeld and The Long Causeway

Wheelton, Lancashire
A township in Leyland parish, Lancashire. 3 miles north-east of Chorley.

See Orm son of Magnus

White Cloth Hall, Leeds
The Cloth Hall opened in 1711 for the sale of undyed cloth.

It was replaced by the

  • The 2nd White Cloth Hall, Leeds [1756]
  • The 3rd White Cloth Hall, Leeds [1776]
  • The 4th White Cloth Hall, Leeds [1868]

Members included Thomas Blackburn

White Cross, Haworth
Pub

Whitgift, East Riding
A small hamlet 4 miles east of Goole.

See Roger de Stansfeld

Whittle-Le-Woods, Lancashire
A village, also a township, and chapelry, in Leyland parish, Lancashire. The village lies 2 miles south-east Leyland, 6 miles south-east of Preston.

See Orm son of Magnus

Wibsey, West Yorkshire
Area of south Bradford. 6 miles north-east of Halifax.

See Shelf foundry

Withnell, Lancashire
A township and chapelry in Leyland parish, Lancashire. 5 south-west of Blackburn.

See Orm son of Magnus

Wood Hall, Norfolk
Hilgay, Downham Market.

See Major Michael Stocks and Michael Stocks

Woodhouse Grove Wesleyan School
Apperley Bridge, Yorkshire. In 1812, John Fennell was the first headmaster. Rev Brontë was an examiner in the Classics and Theology at the school.

See Rev Zachariah Yewdall

Worsborough, West Riding
In the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract.

3 miles south of Barnsley, 7 miles from Penistone.

See John son of Essolf de Holdsworth

Worsthorne, Lancashire
A village to the east of Burnley

See John de Stansfeld and Oliver de Stansfeld

Worth, River
Flows into Ponden Reservoir

Worth Valley railway
See Keighley & Worth Valley Railway

Wycoller Hall
Wycoller. About 3 miles from Burnley.

Wycoller is now a country park.

The ruins of the hall were a possible model for Ferndean Manor in Jane Eyre

Wyke
District of South Bradford, bordering on Norwood Green and Bailiff Bridge.

See Stainulf

Wyke & Norwood Green Railway Station
See Pickle Green station and Wyke Station

Wyke Congregational Church

Wyke Industrial Store
There were 4 branches of the Brighouse District Industrial Society in and around Wyke:

  • A Wyke Branch opened in 1871.

    In its heyday, the Wyke Branch had

    • A butchers
    • Drapery
    • Tailors
    • Chemists
  • A branch at New Road Side / Mary Street opened on 10th December 1883
  • A branch at Wyke Common opened June 1900
  • A branch at Carr Road / Huddersfield Road, Wyke opened 1???. This has been demolished
  • A further branch opened in 1931 [??]

The 4 branches closed between 1969 and 1974, and a new, larger store opened in Towngate, Wyke. This stood near to the present Co-op store in Wyke.

See George Carr Jessop

Wyke Lion, Wyke

Wyke National School

Wyke Railway Station
On 17th August 1850, Pickle Bridge station opened at Norwood Green.

In 1852, it was renamed Wyke Station.

In 1896, it was moved and renamed Wyke & Norwood Green Station.

The station closed on 21st September 1953.

See Wyke and Wyke Viaduct

Wyke Tunnel
Railway tunnel Bradford to Halifax line of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company. It opened in 1852. It is 1,365 yards long

Y

Yeadon, West Yorkshire
District of Leeds.

See Yeadon Airport

York
Oliver Heywood's diaries tell us that many wealthier local people took their families to the city of York for the winter – on account of the climate.

See Tyburn, York

York Assizes
Many local legal cases were referred to the Assizes in York for judgement, and felons were executed at the Tyburn, York

York, Siege of




© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 21:28 on 7th December 2017 / mmp1273 / 246