The Economic Stores (Halifax) Limited were popular grocers and provision merchants. They were known as
The Universal Providers 
Established in 1887 in Charles Street, Halifax. They were a privately-owned concern, founded on the co-operative ideals and
Established to supply its members and the public with all goods they may require, at popular prices, and divide the profit accruing therefrom pro rata according to purchase
Their motto was
Forward – We Cannot Stand Still
In 1922, a pig owned by the Stores was taken to Halifax Abattoir and slaughtered, and then hung in cold storage. The next morning, it had disappeared, apparently having been stolen. A County Court judge found for the Corporation.
On 7th December 1922, the Stores won an appeal against the Corporation
concerning a missing pig
On 16th March 1923, the newspapers reported
Missing pig appeal case; council loses
In 1924, the advertised 40 businesses in the Halifax, Bradford, Huddersfield districts.
The Head Office – dated 1903 – was at King Street, at its junction with Winding Road. By 1937, they had 71 branches and departments across Yorkshire.
Locally, they had branches at
The company closed in 19??
|search engine by freefind|
Malcolm Bull 2017 /
Revised 17:34 on 6th July 2017 / mme567 / 6
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids