Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Mills & Mines

V



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Vale Bobbin Mill, Cornholme
Bobbin factory.

From 1860 to 1894, the mill was run by the Todmorden & Cornholme Manufacturing Company.

The mill burned down on 20th May 1867.

In December 1894, the property, described as comprising

a stone-built workshop, 3 storeys and attic high, timber yard, engine, boiler, machinery, utensils and tools

was advertised for sale.

In July 1900, the machinery, shafting and piping was sold at public auction.

The mill was demolished in 19??.

In 1902, St Michael & All Angels' Church, Cornholme was built on the site

Vale Mill, Cragg Vale
18th century mill on Withens Clough owned by the Hinchliffe family.

Owners and tenants have included

On 30th January 1896, it was destroyed by fire.

One of the Cragg mills.

See Thomas Edwin Hinchliffe

Vale Mill, Todmorden


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 30th March 1878 a labourer at the mill died when his clothes caught fire.

The mill was demolished

Vale Mill, West Vale
Green Lane. The Mill closed in 19??.

It has been converted into flats

Valley Dye Works, Brighouse
The works of Craven, Pearson & Company Limited stood along the Red Beck at Slead Syke

Valley Iron Works, Sowerby Bridge
Holmes Road – see Valley Mills.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Valley Mills, Elland
Park Road. The mill has an elaborate Italianate chimney.

On 26th February 1908, 2 men died after falling down a hoist at the mills.

On 11th October 1927 a fly wheel burst and caused causing much destruction at the Mill.

During World War II, the mill was taken over by the Admiralty for military storage.

The mill was occupied by John Dewhirst & Company until 1967. It was later used as an engineering works.

In 2006, it was converted into 139 apartments.

See Plains Lane, Elland

Valley Mills, Sowerby Bridge
The Holmes / Holmes Road – Valley Iron Works.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Vicar Park Quarry, Pellon
Moor End Road.

One of the Mount Tabor Quarries.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Vicarage Mill, Luddenden
The true name of the mill is not known.

This was a fulling mill and was later used by John Midgley for the manufacture of paper.

At the beginning of the 19th century, the mill became redundant and the buildings were converted to Cottages.

The site was known as the Vicarage because John Midgley bequeathed the rent to support the Curate at Luddenden.

In 1840, Jonathan Bracken bought the cottages

Victoria & Albert Mills, Brighouse


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

See Albert Mills, Brighouse and Victoria Mills, Brighouse

Victoria Brewery, Warley
Cote Hill. Built in 1858 by John Naylor. There was a 7-storey brewery tower, and a 3-storey fermenting room. A malting facility, designed by T. W. Helliwell was built in 1876.

It became the Albion Brewery about 1886 and Warley Springs Brewery when James Alderson took over in 1908

Victoria Copper Works, Halifax
King Street / Victoria Street East, Northgate. 2-storey building.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Victoria Fire Clay Works, Elland
Whitwell Green Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Victoria Iron Foundry, Todmorden
Aka Victoria Iron Works. Salford.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

On 10th December 1899, there was a fire at the works

Victoria Iron Works, Brighouse


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Victoria Iron Works, Halifax
Adelaide Street.

Built by James Ryder Butler [1874].


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Victoria Iron Works, Hebden Bridge


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Victoria Machine Works, Sowerby Bridge


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Victoria Mill, Bailiff Bridge
Victoria Road. The mill was a part of the Firth's Carpets complex and it was bought in 1901.

In December 2000, the mill was sold after the company had closed.

See Firth's Carpets mill dam

Victoria Mill, Hebden Bridge
5-storey mill on the Calder.

There was a fire here in 1949 when the mill was occupied by F. & H. Sutcliffe.

The mill was demolished in 19??

Victoria Mill, Shelf
Built by Moses Bottomley on land near Wade House, Shelf.

When M. Bottomley & Sons sold Victoria Mills, they bought Grove Mill

Victoria Mills, Brighouse
Mill Lane / Huddersfield Road. A silk mill was built by James and Henry Noble.

Thomas Blackburn moved here [1830s].

Rev Benjamin Firth rented the mill in 1842 and bought it later. The mill was attacked during the Plug Riots of August 1842.

Robert Newton worked here until 1848, when he moved to Leeds.

The mill was bought by Samuel Baines in 1849.

In 1850, Baines rented the premises to Burrow & Monk for silk spinning.

In 1855, the workers at the mills – the Victoria Mills Fire Brigade – manned Neptune, the first fire-engine in the town.

In 1864, Richard Kershaw bought the silk business from Burrow & Monk and set up as a silk spinner here.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The Brighouse Gas Works were on the site until 1857?.

The mill was flooded on 20th July 1872.

From 1903, it was used as the Brighouse Lads' Club.

There were fires at the mills on 21st April 1896, and on 27th July 1905, - see Henry Barber fire engine – and part of the mill was destroyed in 1959.

The lower section of the mill continued in use until it demolished to make way for Sainsburys supermarket which now occupies the site

Victoria Mills, Cragg Vale
19th century mill on Turvin Brook.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Demolished in 19??. The neighbouring terraced housingVictoria Buildings – was built for mill-workers by a co-operative.

One of the Cragg mills.

See Clunter's Cottages and Thomas Edwin Hinchliffe

Victoria Mills, Halifax
Victoria Street East, Northgate.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Victoria Mills, Ripponden
Aka Ryburn House Mill

Victoria Mills, West Vale
Cotton mill built on the Black Brook.


Owners and tenants have included

 

There were fires at the mill in 20th August 1866, 31st July 1870, and 21st December 1893.

It was rebuilt by Horsfall's and W. C. Williams.

There were plans to build a further mill on Stainland Road, but only a single-storey building was built.

The building is now used by Andy Thornton Architectural Antiques.

See Victoria Mills Company, West Vale

Victoria Oil Works, Halifax
Powell Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Recorded in 1939

Victoria Quarry, Elland


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Victoria Shed, Hebden Royd

Victoria Soap Works, Boothtown
Smith & Company produced soap here around 1900

Victoria Wheel Works, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Victoria Wire Works, Brighouse
In 1895, wire manufacturer Joseph Roberts occupied a part of Victoria Mills, Brighouse. In publicity material, it was called Victoria Wire Works.

Hirst Brothers were here [1900]

Victoria Wire Works, Halifax
Raglan Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Victoria Works, Halifax
126 Hanson Lane.

Owners and tenants have included Joseph Corney [1920]

Victoria Works, Halifax
Gibbet Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Victoria Works, Rastrick


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

In 1894, Fairburns combined it with Calder Vale Mills, Rastrick

Vine Works, Brighouse
Elland Road. Recorded in 1956 and 1975 on the site of the Vine Hotel

Owners and tenants have included


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 15:43 on 2nd October 2017 / m408_v / 39