Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Mills & Mines

R



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Ragby Mill, Walsden
Aka Strines Mill

Raglan Street Dye Works, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Raglan Street Works, Halifax
8 Raglan Street. Designed by Richard Horsfall for Milner & Sowerby [1863]

Railway Brewery, Rastrick
Brewery attached to the Railway Hotel.

An auction notice in 1856 says that the brewery used

water from a natural spring on the site

In 1877, with partners J. Hollinrake and E. Hollinrake, trading as J. V. E. Hollinrake, the business went into liquidation.

In 1902, Richard Roberts was here

It later became the Red Cross Brewery, Rastrick,

Railway Iron Works, Mytholmroyd
Hippens End.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Railway Saw Mills, Brighouse
Gooder Lane. Aka Bottomley's Saw Mills, Railway Sawing & Planing Mills.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Rake Bank Quarry, Mixenden
Owners and tenants have included

Ramsbottom's Mill, Hebden Bridge
Aka Foster Mill, Hebden Bridge

Ramsden's Stone Trough Brewery
The Stone Trough Brewery at Ward's End was established by Peter Beck and became Thomas Ramsden & Son Limited in 1881. There was a trough in the yard with water piped from the spring at Well Head, and beers were brewed from this supply. A new building was constructed at Ward's End by Horsfall's in 1887.

In 1964, the brewery was taken over by Joshua Tetley & Sons of Leeds. With various takeovers and mergers, the business has been controlled by a range of companies, including Allied Breweries Limited, Carlsberg-Tetley, White Rose Inns of Leeds, Pubmaster of Hartlepool, and Punch Taverns.

Production at the brewery ended in 1967. The premises were finally demolished in 1968.

The brewery and stables were situated on the present site of the head office of the Halifax PLC.

See Gilbert Brook

Ramsden Wood Mill, Walsden
A water-powered cotton spinning and carding mill built on Ramsden Clough in 1820 by the Law brothers – Thomas, Robert and Samuel Law – after they moved from Smithy Holme Mill.

It was lower down Ramsden Clough and known as the bottom shop to distinguish it from the Spring Millthe top shop.

A group of 11 cottages were built for the workers.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Closed in 2001

Ramsden Wood Road Shed, Walsden

Range Bank Mills, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

See Ellen Royd Mills, Halifax

Range Royd Mills, Halifax
Recorded in 1888

Rastrick Gas Works
See James Dyson

Rastrick Mill
Sometimes called Brighouse Mill. Norman corn mill on the Calder at Rastrick. Mentioned in 1307.

In 1562, local tenants were granted permission to take their corn to local mills – at Coley Mill, Ox Heys Mill and Shibden Mill – instead of the Rastrick Mill as the Lord of the Manor of Brighouse required.

Owners and tenants have included Thomas Richard Sutcliffe [1861].

See Daisy Croft, Simon of the Dene, Robert Eland, Miln Cliff, Brighouse and Alice de Radcliffe

Rastrick stone mines and Quarries
Foldout looks at some of the quarries and stone mines at Rastrick.

See Quarries and Law Hill Quarry, Southowram

Ratcha Mill, Todmorden
Another name for Houghstones Mill, Stansfield

Rattan Clough Pit, Cornholme
Open cast coal mine at Rattan Clough.

On 16th October 1947, there was an avalanche of peat from the moors here

Rattenclough Quarry, Holmfield
Shay Lane.

Recorded in 1905 at Keighley Road when it was owned by Halifax Corporation

Rawfolds Mill

Rawroyds Mill, Elland
/ Holywell Green.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

There was a toll booth near the mill for the Stainland to Sowerby Bridge Turnpike

Rawroyds Mill, Sowerby Bridge

Rawson's Mill
Aka Old Lane Mill

Red Cross Brewery, Rastrick
Foundry Street.

Formerly the Railway Brewery


Owners and tenants of the brewery have included

 

The brewery was bought by Webster's [1890].

It closed in 1902.

The Brewery is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

Red Gin Mine, Boothtown
19th century coal mine beneath Swales Moor

Redacre Delph, Mytholmroyd
Quarry shown as disused on maps of 1907

Redacre Mill, Mytholmroyd
Small 18th century mill alongside the Rochdale Canal.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It is now a private house

Regent Works, Halifax
Hanson Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Regent Works, Hebden Bridge
Regent Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Regent Works, Heptonstall

Regulator Mill, Sowerby Bridge
Originally a corn mill. 4-storey buulding. It became a steam-powered worsted spinning mill.

Samuel Wilkinson was involved in the construction of new offices at the Mill [1902].


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was damaged by fire on 7th November 1872.

The mill was demolished in 19??.

See Joseph Kirby and Wharf Mill, Sowerby Bridge

Resting Hill Quarry, Highroad Well
Recorded in 1907

Rhubarb Hole Quarry, Rastrick
Near Chapel Croft. Stone mine

Ridge Mill, Todmorden
Aka Ridgefoot Mill

Ridgefoot Mill, Todmorden
Aka Ridge Mill.

Ridge Place, Burnley Road.

Water-powered cotton mill built in the early 1790s by Anthony Crossley of Todmorden Hall.

He rented the mill to John Buckley [1794].

The mill was fed by a reservoir – known as Buckley's Dam – built at Hall Ings between Todmorden Hall and Dawson Weir.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1811, the mill operated 2880 spindles.

The mill was demolished in the 1930s for road-widening, and the Abraham Ormerod Clinic was built on the site. The mill chimney was taken down in 1932.

Riding Hall

Ringby Quarries
There are/were several stone quarries on Swales Moor.

In the 1860s, 24,000 tons of stone from the quarries was used to build Halifax Town Hall.


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

Ripponden Free Brewery Company Limited
Brewers at Hanging Lee Mill, Ripponden [1924]. Formerly the Sowerby Bridge United Clubs Brewery Company Limited.

The Brewery is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

Ripponden Mill
Stands on the banks of the Ryburn by the modern road bridge.

This may be a mill mentioned in 1429, and is probably the oldest mill in the Ryburn Valley.

It was mentioned explicitly in 1624.

In 1782, it was a fulling mill.

Around 1800, it was a 4-storey mill measuring 83 ft by 44 ft, and had two 16 ft waterwheels.

In 18??, a building – now houses – was erected. This caused much local concern as it blocked access to th Ryburn.

The mill burned down in 1858, 1876, and in 1980.

The dam was drained. The land is now a recreation ground.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Ripponden Wood Mill
Aka Ryburn House Mill

Rishworth Mills
There was a corn mill and malt kiln here.

In 1836, the Wheelwrights built a textile mill.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mills have been converted into apartments and are known as Rishworth Palace!

See Rishworth New Mill

Rishworth New Mill
Oldham Road. Built by the Wheelwrights to give employment to the local workers during the Cotton Famine of 1862.

Stands next to Rishworth Mills.

It had a waterwheel 57½ ft in diameter


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It has been converted into apartments

River Mill, Rastrick


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Riverside Mill, Elland
Worsted spinning mill owned by Albert Bailey & Sons [1910].

Riverside House was the mill-house and was demolished in the 1910s in order to expand the mill.

The mill was vacated in September 1975 and demolished for the construction of the Elland Bypass

Riverside Works, Mytholmroyd

Robin Hood Mill, Brighouse
The mill was attacked during the Plug Riots of August 1842.

See Little John Mill

Robin Hood Wire Works, Brighouse
Wakefield Road.

Part of the works burned down in the late 1950s.

See Ramsden Camm

Robinwood Brewery, Todmorden

See Robinwood Brewers & Vintners

Robinwood Mill, Todmorden
Lydgate. Steam-powered cotton-spinning mill built in 1832 by William Fairburn for Thomas Ramsbottom It was bought by John Fielden who added a carding shed and ran the mill in conjunction with Waterside Mill.

The site of the old pond and the aqueduct which fed the overshot waterwheel can be seen at the back of the mill.

Workers' housing was built in nearby Robinwood Terrace. A school for the workers' children was held at nearby Arch View.

In 1887, work stopped at the mill for several months whilst a broken engine was repaired. Work resumed in January 1888.

Owners and tenants of the mill have included

  • Thomas & James Ramsbotham [-1839]
  • James Ramsbotham [1839-1846]
  • Thomas Edward Hammerton [1839-1846]
  • Fielden Brothers [1846-1960]
  • Thornber Brothers [1960]
  • Fielden Factors [1975]
  • Woodmac Limited [1979]
  • Silverwood Textiles [1980-1981]
  • Technical Systems [1982]

Part of the mill was destroyed by fire on 6th February 1992. Stephen Walker, a director of furniture-maker Index Isle Limited – one of the tenants of the mill – and another man were convicted of plotting to claim £5,000,000 insurance. Walker fled the country before he was sentenced.

The mill is now [2004] occupied by a furniture manufacturing business.

See Thomas Wrigley

Rock Edge Quarry, Old Town


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Rock Spring Brewery, Todmorden
Gauxholme. Built around 1890 by John Bulcock of the Bay Horse Inn, Dulesgate. Rock Springs House was built next door.


Subsequent owners and tenants have included

  • J. Grimshaw Limited of Burnley
 

Roddins Mill, Charlestown
A popular name for the Rawdon's Callis Mill, Charlestown. The name is simply the local pronunciation of Rawdon's.

See Mr Sam at Roddins

Rodmer Clough Mill, Colden
Built about 1790. It was the highest mill in the Colden valley. There was a 30 ft fall of the stream which drove the wheel. It produced cotton goods.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It was demolished about 1890.

See Rodmer Clough, Colden

Rookes Colliery, Hipperholme
Recorded in March 1837, when it was for sale at auction
comprising coals, mines, veins, beds, and seams of coal and minerals

Owners and tenants have included

Rookes Mill, Brighouse

Roomfield Mill, Todmorden


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Rose Hill Mills, Luddendenfoot


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Rose Hill Works, Sowerby Bridge
Beech Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Rose Street Mill, Todmorden


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Rosemary Dye Works, Rastrick
Aka Rosemount Dye Works, Rastrick, Walshaw & Drake's Mill.

The mill was built on land taken from Rosemary Park.

Owners and tenants have included

There was a serious fire at the works on 31st January 1923.

During 1987/1988, the machinery was transferred to the Bulmer & Lumb premises at Buttershaw.

Demolished in 1988.

Houses were built on the site.

See The beck that runs through Rastrick, Samuel Fryer, Rosemary Mills Fire Brigade and Walshaw & Drake Memorial

Rosemount Dye Works, Rastrick

Rosemount Iron Works, Elland


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The site is now an industrial estate.

See Rosemount Iron Works Memorial

Rough Hey Quarry, Lightcliffe


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Round Hill Mill, Ripponden
Aka Bogden Mill, Rishworth

Rowroyd Mill, Elland


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Royal Mills, Halifax
New Bond Street.


Owners and tenants have included

 

In 1940, Jesse Robinson & Son Limited offered use of the basement at the mills as an air-raid shelter outside working hours [5:30 pm to 7:30 am].

On 10th March 1956, fire severely damaged the mill.

In 1997, fire destroyed the mill

Royd Iron Works, Hebden Bridge


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Royd Mills, Halifax

Royd Shed, Hebden Bridge
Bond Street / Hangingroyd Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Rudclough Mill, Cragg Vale
Cotton mill at Cragg Vale. Recorded in June 1801.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill burned down in 1897

Rushton Hill Quarries, Pellon
Moor End Road.

One of the Mount Tabor Quarries.


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

Rushworth Mills

Ruston Works, Highroad Well
Recorded in 1907

Ryburn Brewery, Sowerby Bridge
Independent brewery at Owenshaw Mill, Sowerby Bridge and the Ram's Head, Sowerby Bridge

Ryburn House Mill, Soyland
This was a small cotton-spinning factory which later became Ryburn House.

It was built around 1790 by John Learoyd. There was a house which was a part of the mill. Many of the mill-owners lived at the house.

In August 1843, Small Lees Mill, Cliffe Cottage, and Ryburn House – occupied by the late John Holroyd – were amongst property advertised for sale

pursuant to an order made in a cause Binns vs Holroyd

A new larger mill was built nearby in 1916. This was demolished in 1988.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mill later became a private residence, Ryburn House.


Owners and tenants of the house have included

 

The property was demolished in 19?? and houses built on the land. The road to the houses was named Meadowcroft Lane after the family

Ryburn Leather Works, Sowerby Bridge
Victoria Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Ryburn Mill, Ripponden
Built by John Whiteley in 1858.

In 1894, the Whiteleys sold the Mill to the Ryburn Mill Company Limited

Ryburndale Paper Mill, Soyland

Ryburne Mills, Halifax
Hanson Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 10:56 on 11th October 2017 / m408_r / 54