Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Mills & Mines

P



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Pancreol Mill, Ripponden
Chemical factory at Small Lees Mill

Paper Mill, Cragg Vale
Aka Cragg Mill straddled Cragg Brook / Elphin Brook at Cragg Vale. Access from the main Cragg Road was by way of a steep track, a short distance uphill from the Robin Hood Public House.

In its early years, the mill was run by John Greenwood – where he was involved in the manufacture of paper and wool cards – and then jointly with his father-in-law Richard Hinchliffe.

Today, only ruins remain for the mill itself, atop a bridging platform that supported part of the mill above the brook.

The mill pond for the waterwheel can still be seen. The waterwheel has been restored.

A set of 3 terraced dwellings near to the mill have been converted into what is now known as Paper Mill Cottage

Paper Mill, Halifax
North Bridge Mill, Halifax, where paper was manufactured around 1800, was here.

Owners and tenants have included

Paper Mill was the name for an area of Halifax

Park Brewery, Northowram
Established behind the Windmill Tavern, Northowram when James Alderson moved from Lower Brear [1905]. It became the Windmill Hill Brewery

See Park Lodge, Northowram and Park Villa, Northowram

Park Loom Mill, Todmorden Moor

Park Mill, Halifax
Owned by William Lister [1830s].

Woollen mill at Lister Street, Halifax [1851].

It was later used for worsted and silk production.

Around 1890, the land and buildings were acquired by Halifax Corporation to house the Halifax Electric Company

Park Mill, Sowerby Bridge
Victoria Road.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Park Nook Mine, Elland
Coal mine.

Was this how the Colliers' Arms pub got its name?

Park Nook Mine, Southowram

Park Print Works, Halifax
151 Lister Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Park Quarry, Lightcliffe


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Park Quarry, Pellon
Moor End Road.

One of the Mount Tabor Quarries.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Park Road Mills, Elland
Built for Sutcliffe Brothers in 1891. Stone from Southowram quarries was used in the construction.

Sutcliffe's went out of business in 1912, and cotton spinners Benjamin Whiteley & Sons Limited took over

Park Works, Halifax
Lister Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Parker's Old Corn Mill
Popular name for Ox Heys Mill, Shelf which was owned by Mr Parker in the 19th century

Pearson Brow Quarry, Hipperholme


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Pecket Well Mill
Keighley Road. Aka Pecket Shed.

Steam-powered fustian and cotton weaving mill built in 1858. A single-storey building with 2 reservoirs.

The original intent was that it should be let to tenants. It was bought by John and William Wilcock of The Wilcock Patent Cord & Calico Manufacturing Company Limited.

It was considerably extended by 1870.

It was rebuilt after a fire in 1873.

Around 1913, Cords Limited had business here.

The mill was acquired by the Central Dyeing Company Limited.

This was the last fustian weaving mill in Britain when it finally closed on 23rd October 1998.

The mill, the engine house, the weaving shed and the 375-ft tall chimney date from 1840 to 1858 and are listed

Starting in 2005, the mill was converted into flats. During the restoration work, builders found a time capsule containing a half smoked cigar, a bottle of Bass Pale Ale bottled by Marshall Brothers, and two Victorian novels about life in Victorian London entitled Anonyma: a tale of Female Life and Adventure and Skittles

Peel Croft Factory, Elland
Recorded in 1809, when James Hellewell was here

Peel House Mill, Luddenden
Worsted mill powered by Luddenden Brook.

In 1833, workers here were recorded as working a 78-hour week. Of 48 workers at the mill, 37 were children under the age of 16.


Owners and tenants have included

 

The Plug Rioters attacked the mill on 15th August 1842.

The mills were demolished in 19??.

See Cold Edge Dam Company, Sam Murgatroyd and William Henry Murgatroyd

Peel Mill, Todmorden
Sourhall.

Aka Sour Hall Mill.

Around 1830, it was a picker making factory built and operated by brothers John and Thomas Holt.

Around 1875, became Sourhall Isolation Hospital.

See Picker

Pelicon Metal Works, Halifax
Spring Hall Lane, Pellon.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Pellon Lane Cabinet Works, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Pellon Lane Mills, Halifax
Recorded in 1914


This may be a local name for another mill – (possibly) 
Martin's Mill, Halifax
 

Pellon Lane Saw Mills, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Pendleton Mills, Elland
Frances Street. Cotton mill.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

On 7th September 1883, there was a file at the mills


Question: Can anyone confirm the date of the 1880s fire?

 

Pepper Bank Mill, Cragg Vale
18th century mill on Turvin Brook.

Pepper Bank Mill [1854] and Church Bank Mill [1894] stood on the same site.

One of the Cragg mills owned by the Hinchliffe family

Pepper Hill Mill, Luddenden
Duke Street. Built in the early 19th century. It was owned by John Eastwood as a steam-powered worsted mill.

2 mill ponds were built around 1850. One is now filled in. The remaining pond is on the Mill House estate at Rails Lane.

Owners and tenants have included

The Mill closed in the early 1900s.

It was disused by 1907.

It was bought by the Murgatroyd family in the 1920s.

It was in ruins by 1946. The stone was sold and the land was used for housing

Pepper Hill Pottery
Shelf. Founded by John Pickles Sunderland in 19??.

In 1926, it was taken over by Sam Bradley.

The business closed in 1958

Perseverance Brass & Iron Works, Brighouse
Atlas Mill Road

Perseverance Engine Works, Elland
Dewsbury Road. Founded by James Lumb in 1876.

In 1986, Ardeth Engineering Limited acquired the land and assets when Lumb's went into receivership

Perseverance Mill, Brighouse
The corn mill is recorded on the south bank of North Cut, Brighouse, just east of Anchor Bridge [1854].

Owners and tenants have included

Perseverance Mill, Brighouse
Huddersfield Road. In 1829, Thomas Richard Sutcliffe sold his flour milling business in Brighouse to Thomas Sugden.

The new mill was built by Sugden and named because he attributed his success to his own perseverance.

An inscription reads

PERSEVERANCE MILL ERECTED 1831

The mill stands alongside the canal and became Sugden's first steam-powered mill.

The mill was attacked during the Plug Riots of August 1842.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was then occupied by a succession of businesses including a gym and a furniture showroom.

A part of the mill was demolished in 1964 to become what is now Bethel Street car park,

The rest of the building was converted to the Waterfront hotel/restaurant [summer 2000].

Around 2005, the building was joined to the neighbouring Wheelers' Club and the entrance to the mill yard was filled in.


Question: There may be some confusion between this and Perseverance Mill, Brighouse

 

See Brighouse Mechanics' Institute

Perseverance Mill, Elland
Dewsbury Road / Upper Edge.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 2005, there was a proposal to convert the mill to offices and apartments.

On 17th August 2008, the mill was badly damaged by fire

Perseverance Mills, Sowerby Bridge
Walton Street.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

On 13th January 1904, there was a fire at the mill which was then said to be

Messrs Shepherd & Blackburn's new mill

During World War II, the mill was used as a detention barracks for British soldiers. It could accommodate up to 750 men at one time.

See Prospect Mills, Sowerby Bridge

Perseverance Works, Halifax
Thrum Hall Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Perseverance Works, Halifax
Broad Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Perseverance Works, Stansfield
Halifax Road

Pheasant Pit, Hartshead
Coal mine in the Kirklees Estate. Recorded in 1884

Phoebe Lane Mills, Halifax
Aka Boys Mill, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Phoenix Foundry, Brighouse


Owners and tenants of the foundry have included

 

Phoenix Iron Foundry, Halifax
Lucy Street, New Bank.


Owners and tenants of the foundry have included

 

Phoenix Iron Works, Todmorden
Aka Phoenix Foundry. Millwood.

Built by Jonathan Barker [about 1860].

Owners and tenants have included

The Halifax Guardian of 14th March 1863 reported

Accident at Millwood

On [Tuesday, 10th March 1863] as one of the sons of Mr Jonathan Barker, millwright, etc., of Mill Wood, and one of the workmen were engaged in loading a cannon, which was at the time not quite cool, it burst, and some of the fragments struck them in the face, but fortunately their injuries were not serious

On 6th November 1879, there was a fire at the works.

See Swan Foundry, Todmorden

Phoenix Mill, Brighouse
Built in 1841 by Thomas Blackburn. The property was on both sides of Phoenix Street. Only that on the east side remains.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1857, the building was damaged by fire.

See Phoenix House, Brighouse

Phoenix Punch & Shear Works, Todmorden

Phoenix Works, Halifax
Well Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Phoenix Works, Todmorden
Millwood.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Pickle Bridge Dye Works
Between Wyke and Norwood Green.

Run by John Sharp [1881].

See Alphonse Sharp

Pickles Foundry, Mytholmroyd
Established at Mytholmroyd by Thomas Pickles around 1890. It later became Broadbent's Foundry

Pinder's Iron Foundry, Brighouse
19th century iron-working company

Pinfold Quarries, Norland


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

Pinfold Quarry, Elland
Lower Edge.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

The quarry has been filled in

Pinnar Lane Quarry, Southowram
Recorded in 1850. It is still in use


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Pioneer Iron Works, Halifax
Parkinson Lane / West End. Built around 1897 for Cornelius Redman & Sons Limited.

It was later known as West End Works

Pioneer Mill, Walsden
Aka Jubilee Mill

Pioneer Quarry, Southowram
See Turner's Pioneer Quarry

Pioneer Works, Boothtown

Owners and tenants have included

Pitchforth's Mill, Elland
Cotton mill owned by Abraham Crowther Pitchforth.

The mill was destroyed by fire on the morning of 3rd September 1865, when it was occupied by Messrs Sugden

Plantation Mine, Holmfield

Platts Pit, Clifton

Pond Oil Works, Brighouse
Smithy Carr Lane. These were originally the farm buildings of Pond Farm. Occupied by Timms Ludgate [1890]

Pond Quarry, Brighouse
Lightcliffe Road. Part of the Granny Hall Estate.

Opened in 1874.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

The quarry is still there but unused.

There are plans to develop the site [October 2008]

Portsmouth Mill, Todmorden


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 19th April 1907, there was a fire at the mill

Premier Works, Halifax
Grantham Road, Boothtown.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Pressure Gauge Works, Halifax
North Parade.

See W. Richardson & Son

Presto Supermarket
The company has outlets in the district, some purpose-built, other established in existing property.

See Halifax Bowl

Priestley's Mill, Sowerby
Woollen mill. Recorded in 1782


Question: Can anyone identify which Priestley ran the mill?

 

Priestwell Millwright Works, Todmorden
Robert Barker and his sons he set up a business at Priestwell with a workshop and water-power.

There was a dam at Durn and another smaller dam behind the workshop

Prince Albert Mill, Brighouse
Built by Joseph Firth. In 1852, Burrow & Monk set up a silk spinning business here.

See Samuel Baines

Prince of Wales Mill, Brighouse
Silk mill which stood on Birds Royd Lane.

Built for Ormerod Brothers Limited.

It was owned by Foulds & Ridings Limited on 20th April 1984 when it was damaged by fire

Princess Works, Rastrick
Princess Street, Birds Royd Lane.

Owners and tenants have included

Prospect Dye Works, Brighouse
Bradford Road (west side).

Stood opposite Holmeroyd Mill. Built after 1910

Prospect Iron Works, Halifax
Chapeltown / Dungeon Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Prospect Mill, Hebden Bridge
Old Town.

Recorded in December 1854, when Henry Mitchell of Boston Hill advertised the property to be let. It included a newly-erected weaving shed, capable of holding 120 looms with 10 hp condensing engine and 20 hp boiler (only 18 months old). Coal and labour were said to be readily available.

Subsequent owners and tenants have included

Prospect Mill, Ovenden
Keighley Road. Built by William Dewhirst.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Prospect Mill, West Vale
5-storey worsted mill built in 1883.

Built on the Black Brook.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Prospect Mills, Sowerby Bridge
Walton Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The building was destroyed by fire in 9th May 1873

See Perseverance Mills, Sowerby Bridge

Prospect Works, Bailiff Bridge

Owners and tenants have included

Providence Chemical Works, Siddal
Stood on the hillside below Oxford Lane. Recorded in 1907.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Providence Mill, Elland
Elizabeth Street.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was destroyed by fire in 19th November 1941

Providence Soap Works, Halifax
47 Bedford Street North.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Pudsey Bobbin Works, Todmorden


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Vale Baptist Church, Todmorden

Pudsey Mill, Stansfield
Recorded in 1795. In 1811, it was recorded as operating 1224 spindles.

Owners and tenants have included

The mills later became Glen Dye Works

Pule Hill Pottery
Established by the Halliday family at Pule Hill around 1640.

Around 1775, they moved to Howcans and operated a pottery there

Pump Lane Quarry, Southowram


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Puzzle Hall Brewery, Sowerby Bridge
Hollins Mill Lane. Brewery established at the Puzzle Hall Inn, Sowerby Bridge by John Platt.

In 1935, S. H. Ward & Company of Sheffield bought the pub and brewing was discontinued.

The Brewery is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 19:07 on 7th September 2017 / m408_p / 57