Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Mills & Mines

O



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Oak Hill Clough Mill, Stansfield
Aka York Field Mill, Stansfield

Oates & Green Mine, Horley Green
Used by Oates & Green Limited [1880]

Oates Royd Mine, Queensbury

Oats Royd Mill: Chimney
The mid-19th century chimney at Oats Royd Mills, Luddenden is listed. It has an octagonal stack and is banded at the base and at the top

Oats Royd Mills, Luddenden
Dean House Lane.

Around 1842, John Murgatroyd bought the Oats Royd estate, and the family lived there [1851, 1861, 1871, 1880].

In 1847, he built his first mill – a steam-powered mill – and a warehouse here. This was one of a number of worsted-spinning mills for J. Murgatroyd & Son. The mill stands near the family's Oats Royd House from which the mill get its name.

In 1856, Number 2 – a 4-storey mill – was built.

In 1863, Number 3 Mill was built. This was 6 storeys high and 26 windows long with two powerful steam engines. This was extended – with work by Thomas Lister Patchett – in 1886.

The Weaving Shed is dated 18 JM 87 for John Murgatroyd.

The mill was taken over by West Riding Spinning in 1979, by Courtaulds in 1982, and converted to separate units in 1984.

The mill – then occupied by several small businesses – was destroyed by fire on 22nd February 1989.

The mid-19th century mill chimney is also listed.

[2003] There were proposals for the building to be converted to private housing. These received considerable local opposition. Nevertheless, flats were built.

See Delph Hill Lane, Midgley, Mitchell's School, Sowerby, Oats Royd Mills Brass Band and Shirley

Ogden Kirk Quarries
Ogden Lane. Next to Ogden Kirk Reservoir.


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

The site is now a car park

Ogden Lane Forge, Rastrick
Established by Joseph Whiteley.

His sons, George Shaw and Ernest worked at the forge [1881].

George Shaw Whiteley subsequently established G. S. Whiteley & Company here.

The business passed to Whiteley's nephew, John Riley and the Riley family who produced the Riley Link.

The Forge closed when a woman who chose to live in a house near the property complained of the noise from made by the smith there. La estupidissima!

Ogden Lane Mine, Rastrick
Stone-mine started by Mr H. Mellors in 1904. It closed at the outbreak of war in 1939 and never reopened

Ogden Old Mill

Ogden Pottery
Established by Nicholas Taylor at Ogden

The Old Foundry, Brighouse
Mill Lane.


Owners and tenants of the foundry have included

 

Old Holmfield Mine

Old House Mill, Sowerby Bridge


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Old Lane Dye Works, Halifax
An advertisement in November 1864 announced

To be Sold, cheap, a DOLLY, nearly new, suitable for Stuff Dyers, also a good sized Lac Mill.

Likewise a four-wheeled Pony Phaeton

Apply to John Crossley, Son & Co, Old Lane Dye Works, near Halifax.

See Old Lane Mill, Halifax

Old Lane Fulling Mill, Halifax
Owners and tenants have included

Old Lane Mill: Chimney
The chimney and boiler-house at Old Lane Mill, Halifax were built for James Akroyd around 1827. They are listed

Old Lane Mill, Halifax
Aka Rawson's Mill, Old Lane Dye Works, and Bowling Dyke Mill.

Stood between Old Lane and the railway line.

A steam-powered worsted mill was built by James Akroyd in 1825. This was one of the largest mills in the district. The mill was said to be fire-proof.

In 1827, Akroyd built the first Jacquard looms in Britain, and the mill was iron-framed and fitted with stone floors – the first in any British mill – to support the machinery.

The offices of the Woodside Penny Savings Bank were originally here.

The night watchman fired a blunderbuss each night to signal that he was on duty.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

It was damaged by fire on 21st January 1905.

The mill later formed a part of the Dean Clough complex.

There is some confusion in the sources between this and Bowling Dyke Mill, Halifax.

See Kirk's Yard, Halifax, Old Lane Mill Chimney and Old Lane Water Siphon

Old Lane Mills, Lee Mount
There were 2 mills: Old Mill and New Mill. These stood between Old Lane and the railway line.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Old Mill, Greetland
Woollen mill owned by the Victoria Mills Company, West Vale.

It stood at the rear of the Shears Inn

Old Mill, Wainstalls
It was originally known as the Water Mill and was built in 1804 by Jonas Tillotson, on land which his father had bought at Stoney Hey, Wainstalls.

3-storey stone building.

It was originally water-powered and used for cotton-spinning.

It was bought at auction by Jonathan Calvert for £1500 [1821].

Calvert's used the Mill for combing, drawing, spinning, and twisting.

Later, these were reduced to spinning and twisting.

J. & J. Calvert was established by his nephews [1826]. The built a new mill (to the north of, and at right-angles to the Old Mill). This mill was almost destroyed by fire [1942].

It was a 3-storey building with machinery for spinning worsted yards on the lower 2 floors, and an attic on the top floor.

Later, Calvert's built another mill to the north of Old Mill. These 2 were then known as Upper Mill – for the new building – and Lower Mill – for the old mill. To avoid confusion with William Appleyard's Upper Mill, Wainstalls, Garnett uses the name Wainstalls Mill for this new Upper Mill.

The circular chimney was 140 ft high and faced with red bricks. It replaced the earlier chimney which was demolished [1911].

It became part of the Calvert family's mill complex at Wainstalls.

Owners and tenants have included

 

The complex also included New Mill, Wainstalls.

The mill has been demolished

See Cold Edge Dam Company

Old Town Mill, Wadsworth
Aka Mitchell's Mill. Built in 1851 by Henry Mitchell.

There were further extensions in 1881. The iron gates bear the name Mitchell Brothers Old Town. In 1961, the mill was bought out by the Woolcombers' Mutual Association Limited of Bradford, and closed down. The buildings are now used by small companies. The mill chimney is a landmark

Old Warley Springs Brewery
Cote Hill. Built by John Naylor. It was originally known as Victoria Brewery.

In 1908, James Alderson & Company Limited moved here.

It was acquired by the Halifax Brewery Company.

The Brewery is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Warley Springs

Old Water Mill, Brighouse
Clifton Bridge. Around 1825, Thomas Blackburn moved here

Old Water Mill, Mill Bank
Foxen Lane. Aka Lower Soyland Mill.

The mill got its power from Lumb Clough. Remains of the dam which also held water for the mill still be seen. It had 2 waterwheels.

(Probably) stands on the site of Soyland Mills.

Like others in the Soyland Mill group of mills, this was the manorial corn mill for Soyland [13th century].

It was used as a fulling mill [1378].

Since 1621, unlike most manorial mills, people who lived more than 2 miles from the mill, were allowed to grind their own corn.

When Sam Hill bought the property, he tried to prosecute those who did indeed grind their own.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The present building was built around 1800.

Now private dwellings.

See Damside, Mill Bank

Oldroyd Mill, Langfield
Water-powered mill on Lumbutts Clough. Recorded in 1794.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill shared a dam with Causeywood Mill, Langfield. The mill fell into disrepair.

It was demolished in the 1920s

Onecliffe Mill, West Vale
Stainland Road.

Cotton mill.

Built by the Fox family on the Black Brook.

The Black Brook fed the mill dam.

A goit carried water from the mill dam – at the rear of Speak's Mill – to Brow Bridge Mill.

Recorded in September 1865, when it was advertised for sale at auction.

On 23rd November 1882, the 6-storey mill was gutted by fire.

It was rebuilt in 1883.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The Mill closed in November 1980 with the loss of 93 jobs.

It was demolished and the stone – 10,000 tons – was used to build new housing in the area and an hotel at Outlane

Ottiwell's Mills, Marsden
William Horsfall was a woollen manufacturer at this mill in Marsden. He employed around 400 workers here when he was murdered by Luddites

Outram's Mill, Greetland

Ovenden Mill [1817]
Hanson has an illustration of
a mill near Ovenden taken down in 1817

drawn by John Horner

Ovenden Wood Brewery
See Long Can, Ovenden and Webster's Brewery

Owenshaw Mill, Sowerby Bridge
Wakefield Road.

Ryburn Brewery, Sowerby Bridge was here

Owler Carr Mill, Todmorden
Aka Cloughfoot Mill.

Owned by John and William Clegg from about 1846

Owners and tenants have included

Owler Ings Mills, Brighouse
A cotton mill was built next to the canal in 1862 by Thomas T. Ormerod. He enlarged this in 1865.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mill was damaged by fire on 5th May 1921. The mill had only recently been restored and a new water sprinkler tower had been installed, but this was not yet in operation when the fire occurred.

It was later used by George Turner, and was destroyed by fire in the 1970s

Owlet Hall Mills, Elland
South Lane.

Built for Edmund Sykes & Sons Limited.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mills were demolished in 19??.

A supermarket stands on the site

Ox Heys Mill, Shelf
The corn mill is recorded in 1562 when local tenants were granted permission to take their corn to the mill instead of Rastrick Mill as the Lord of the Manor of Brighouse required.

The mill was built in 1573 by James Brooksbank.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

  • Mr Parker [18??]
 

The mill was also known as Parker's Old Corn Mill

Ox Pits, Clifton
2 coal mines about ½ a mile apart. Originally called Clifton New Colliery. Recorded in 1851

Later named Jay House.

They are both disused but the spoil heaps and the mounds of the tramways for carrying coal from the mines are still visible

Oxford Street Mill, Brighouse
Mustard making mill. On 12th January 1925, the opening of a new factory was delayed when 3 tons of mustard burst into flames during processing


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 11:29 on 26th July 2017 / m408_o / 41