Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Mills & Mines

M



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Macauley's Park Quarry, Rastrick


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Machpelah Works, Hebden Bridge
Originally a fustian warehouse. Built around 1840. Stands on the Rochdale Canal opposite Machpelah House and Machpelah House

Maiden Cross Colliery, Todmorden
Aka Moss Pit. Abandoned coal mine

Malt Kiln Mill
Aka Ewood Mill, Stansfield

Maltings Mill, Hipperholme
Aka Hipperholme Steam Brewery. 4-storey mill with a distinctive Italianate tower, built for Brear & Brown.

There was a fire here in 1988


Subsequent owners and tenants of the maltings have included

  • Waller & Son Limited

  • Melbourne Ales [1935]

  • Bass (North) [1960s-1973]

  • Dyson's, an insulation company [1988, 2007]
 

In 2008, proposals were approved to clear the site and build 14 houses on the site. The tower was to be converted into offices.

In 2010, another place was approved to build 43 houses, and the tower was demolished

Maple Works, Halifax
This was formerly the Halifax Steam Laundry

Market Hall Rope Works, Halifax
30 Thomas Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Marsh Delves Quarry, Southowram
Or Marsh Delfs. In the field below Marsh Delves Lane, Southowram.

It was a part of the Shibden Estate [1920s].

Owners and tenants have included

  • J. Womersley

The quarry was closed by the 1950s. During the 1960s, Halifax Corporation used it as a refuse tip. It was filled in by the 1970s

Marsh Factory, Stansfield
Aka Winters Mill, Stansfield [1818]

Marsh Lane Quarries, Southowram
Marsh Lane. Across the lane from Marsh Quarries, Southowram and extend to Stub Thorn Lane.

Owners and tenants have included

  • Smith, Hirst & Company

  • Stott & Sons

  • Thomas Turner & Son
The quarries closed in the 1940s, and were filled with ash from Smith Wire Works and Mackintosh's

Marsh Quarries, Southowram
Marsh Lane / Twinge Lane. Opposite Marsh Lane Quarries, Southowram.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

The quarries closed in the 1940s, and were filled with ash from Halifax Gas Works and from Paton & Baldwin Limited. A driver for Paton & Baldwin Limited was killed when he reversed his lorry too near the edge of the quarry and went over the edge

Marsh Quarry, Sowerby Bridge


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

See Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge

Marshall Hall Mills, Elland
In the early 19th century, this, Grove Mills and Kiln End Mills were the only woollen mills in Elland.

There were serious accidents at the Mills on 24th March 1840, when the mill was badly damaged by fire, and on 16th November 1854 when 4 people were killed in a boiler explosion at the mill.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

See Eastwood Doubling

Marshall's Mill, Dean Clough

The mill became a part of the Dean Clough complex

Marshall's Quarry, Southowram
Stone quarry – (possibly) West Lane – run by S. Marshall & Sons Limited

Marshaw Bridge Mill, Cragg Vale
Water powered cotton mill at Marshaw Bridge on Cragg Brook.

In 1795, it was used as a wool scribbling mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill burned down in 1843

Marshfield Mill, Elland
Joseph Kagan manufactured Gannex here. After his death in 1994, the mill was disused for a time.

In 1996, Ardeth Engineering Limited used a part of the mill.

In 2003, there was a proposal to build an Asda superstore on the site, but this was rejected.

In June 2005, there was a proposal to convert the mill into 91 apartments. The new complex was renamed The Silk Mill.

On 7th February 2006, one of the buildings was badly damaged by fire – arson was suspected

Martin Holt's Mill, Eastwood

Martin's Mill: Chimney
The chimney of Martin's Mill, Halifax has been truncated

Martin's Mill, Halifax
Pellon Lane. 6-storey mill. Built in the late 1800s.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1961, the Plebeians Halifax Jazz Club rented a room here.

In the early 1980s, the weaving sheds were demolished to make way for a B & Q DIY superstore. Much of the mill was vacant and only a part was occupied [1988].

The chimney has been truncated.

In 2006, planning permission was given to convert the mill into apartments

Martin Mill, Wadsworth
On 4th November 1849, the mill was destroyed when the dam burst

Mayfield Mill, Elland
18?? is recorded, when Edwin Iredale and Samuel Warrington were in partnership here

Mayroyd Mill, Hebden Bridge
Station Road, Wadsworth. Aka Gemland Mill

The original corn mill was built in 1429. Early 19th century saw mill on the side of the Rochdale Canal.

The wheelhouse has a cast-iron and steel breast-shot wheel 16 ft diameter and 15 ft wide. The waterwheel, wheelhouse and weir still remain and are listed.

The mill was used for the manufacture of egg-boxes in the 20th century.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It was damaged by fire on 4th March 1932 and burned down in 1936.

It was derelict for some time.

In 2004, the building was converted into private apartments.

See Mayroyd House, Hebden Bridge

Meadowcroft's Mill, Ripponden
Cotton mill. Was near the village opposite Brig Royd Estate

Mearclough Mills, Sowerby Bridge
A water-powered corn mill owned by the Waterhouse family is mentioned in 1300. Around 1400, they sold a part of it to the Walker family.

When it was up for sale in 1809, the property was described as

a newly-built corn mill


Subsequent owners and tenants have included

 

Mearclough Works, Sowerby Bridge
Canal Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Meddle Bottom Mill

The Northowram Register records that the daughter of John Lupton was killed here in 1734

Melbourne Mill, Hebden Bridge
By Hebble End Bridge on Market Street. Fustian mill built in 1878 on land belonging to Champion Murgatroyd.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It was demolished in June 1983, just as it was about to be listed.

A supermarket now stands on the site

Melbourne Mill, Todmorden
Built in 18?? It was demolished in 1983. The Co-Op supermarket stands on the site

Melbourne Works, Heptonstall


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Mellor's Mill, Stainland
Owned by the Mellor family of Stainland. Damaged by fire on 15th December 1832

Melville Saw, Planing & Moulding Mills, Halifax
Pellon Lane.

Owners and tenants have included Sutcliffe & Woodhead [1881]

Merry Boys Quarry, Northowram

Owners and tenants have included

Miall Street Mills, Halifax
Queens Road. 5-storey mill built by Hollingrake & Clegg Limited in 1886.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Middle Delph Quarry, Rastrick
Upper Edge.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Midgehole Dye Works, Hebden Bridge


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Worrall's Dye Works, Midgehole

Midgehole Mill, Hebden Bridge
One of the Hebden valley mills.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Midgehole Mill, Langfield
Lumbutts.

Aka Causey Mill, Causeway Mill – but not Causeywood Mill.

Owners and tenants have included

  • William Bamber [1807]

  • Fielden Brothers [1812-1881]; in 1813, Fielden Brothers bought the mill

It was dilapidated [1883] and subsequently demolished [after 1907]

Mile Cross Works, Halifax
Gibbet Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The property was bought by a man from Denholm who also bought Brighouse Motor Agency / Calder Engineering

Mile Thorn Mills, Halifax
Gibbet Street.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Mile Thorn Works
See Asquith Butler

Milking Hill Quarries, Southowram
Recorded around 1910 off Heald Lane / Ashday Lane at the junction with Binns Top Lane.

Owners and tenants have included

  • Smith & Greenwood

  • Marshall & Greenwood

The site was derelict for several years until Halifax Corporation used it as a refuse tip [1970s].

The site was reclaimed and is now used by Southowram Cricket Club

Mill chimneys

A mill, Dean Clough

Mill House Chimney, Triangle

Mill House Estate, Sowerby Bridge

Mill House Mill, Sowerby
Scribbling and fulling mill built by the Rawson family around 1787.


Subsequent owners and tenants have included

 

Mill House Mill, Triangle
Mill House Lane. Mid 19th century mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

See Brockwell Lane Chimney, Sowerby Bridge

Mill Royd Mill, Brighouse
Huddersfield Road. This was the first cotton mill in Brighouse, and was built in 1857 by cousins Henry & Jonathan Stott.

The buildings were damaged by fire on 12th November 1868. It was destroyed by fire on 17th February 1874 and was replaced by the present building.

Part of the mill burned down in 1878, but the section was not rebuilt as the land was considered unstable.

The mill is 7-storeys high with 14 bays, and the frontage on to the canal is 450 ft wide.

It was still in use by Hy. Cullingworth & Sons Limited until 2001, and was popularly known as Cullingworth's Mill.

In 2003, there were proposals to convert the mill into residential property with 134 apartments – to be known as Millroyd Island on account of its location between the Calder and the Calder & Hebble Navigation. When sales opened in autumn 2003, it was claimed that 100 flats were sold in 4 hours – before work had even started. The conversion was completed in 2004. In autumn 2004, the developer was proposing that further blocks of flats be built there

Mills to houses

Millsteads Mill, Langfield
Back Cannon Street / Castle Street. Recorded in 1805. Richard Ingham rebuilt the mill in 1811. In 1833, a 10 hp steam engine was installed.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was damaged by fire in the 1970s and partially demolished afterwards

Milne's Mill, Longbottom
On 31st January 1805 the woollen mill of Samuel Milne & Company at Longbottom was destroyed by fire


Question: Can anyone identify the mill?

 

Milner Royd Dyeworks, Sowerby Bridge
Recorded in 1907.

See Milner Royd Mills, Sowerby Bridge and Milner Royd, Sowerby Bridge

Milner Royd Mills, Sowerby Bridge
Owners and tenants have included

See Milner Royd Dyeworks, Sowerby Bridge and Milner Royd, Sowerby Bridge

Miss Lister's Mine, Shibden

Mitchell's Mill, Elland
Elland Wood. Owned by Mr Mitchell.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was damaged by fire on 14th November 1867

Mitchell's Mill, Wadsworth
Aka Old Town Mill, Wadsworth

Mixenden Corn Mill
The manorial corn mill. Mentioned in 1492. Like the Wheatley Corn Mill, it belonged to the Savile family. It stood on the Halifax side of Mixenden Bridge. It was used by the Sutcliffe and Priestley families.

The area around the corn mill became known as Mixenden Mill well into the 1700s.

Owners and tenants have included William Walsh [1845], Bairstow Brothers [1845-1898], and William Simpson [1861].

From 1900 to 1905, it was a mechanics' shop and used the wheel for cheap power.

See Mixenden Mill

Mixenden Fulling Mill
Straight Lane. Shaw Mill, Mixenden was later built on the site.

Anthony Buckless writes

A footpath runs from the top of Straight Lane, diagonally across the fields, through the wall at the bottom, and up into Mixenden. On going through the wall, the Mill was over on the right, as you head towards Mill Lane. Some time back, mobile part of the stream connection was still visible under the vegetation. The quickest way, however, is along the track just up Mill Lane a little from the bridge.

It was on the Mixenden part of Fold Farm, part of the cottage industry system.

Shaw Mill became known, affectionately, as Zachi Moor's by all, employing around 60 people.

After Bairstow's closed in Mixenden Corn Mill, it made bobbins as well. After the fire I seem to recall it going to Whitehill, I think Moor's had a factory there as well

Mixenden Mills
Grew out of Hay's Mill.

Anthony Buckless writes

A big party – with 3000 people attending – was thrown when the mill reopened following expansion in the late 1800s. Several big Yorkshire Stars performed.

Towards the end of the 1800 it changed to the carbonising process of wool, which continued until the millclosed.

In 1978 it became a business park under Provident.

In 2001, Swindon took over, along with Colonnade, and Hebble Insurance.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

See Moor End Mill, Mixenden

Mixenden Works, Ovenden

Mons Mill, Todmorden
In 1914, Hare Mill, Todmorden ran into financial and other difficulties and was wound up. It was bought by the newly-formed Mons Mill Company Limited and the name was changed to Mons Mill after the World War I Battle of Mons. The Mons Mill (1919) Limited company took over the mill in 1919.

The mill was originally powered by an engine built by Carels of Belgium which drove about 73 belts.

In the 1950s, it was bought by the Lancashire Cotton Corporation. The mill was closed for a time from 18th March 1953, when there was an epidemic of smallpox.

In 1964, the company was taken over by Courtaulds. In 1968, the mill closed. From 1971, the building was used by Ward & Goldstone Limited until the 1990s when they left.

In 197?, the mill chimney was reduced by 30 ft. In 1986, the mill chimney and the engine house were demolished.

The site was cleared in March 2000.

The domed building which housed the offices and board room is now a private dwelling

Monumental Works, Halifax
These were the monumental masons' yard of the Halifax General Cemetery

See William Riley

Moor End Mill, Mixenden
Aka Mixenden Mill, Moor End Shed.

Anthony Buckless writes

This can be found as you enter Mixenden, and you pass Mixenden Old Hall, just below this was Moor End Mill, now Tabor Heights

Owners and tenants have included

Moor End Quarry, Mount Tabor
Moor End Road.

One of the Mount Tabor Quarries.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

See Samuel Longbottom

Moorfield Mills, Halifax
Ingram Street.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

See Haugh Shaw Mills

Moss Pit, Todmorden
Aka Maiden Cross Colliery

Mount Pleasant Mill, Mytholmroyd
Midgley Road. 18th century mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Mount Pleasant Mill, Wadsworth

Mount Quarry, Brighouse
Stone quarry.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Mount Skip Quarry, Old Town


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

In 1897, workmen at the quarry found pieces of Bronze Age urns and human bones

Mount Works, Elland
Dewsbury Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Mount Works, Halifax
8 Mount Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Mountain End Colliery, Northowram
Owned by John Foster & Son [1883]

Mountain Mills, Queensbury


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Murgatroyd's Mill, Luddenden

Mytholm Iron Works, Hebden Bridge


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Mytholm Iron Works, Hipperholme


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Mytholm Mill, Hebden Bridge
Cotton spinning and manufacturing mill built about 1789 by a partnership headed by James King.

The mill was driven by water from springs in Rawtonstall Wood. The wheel – measuring 52½ ft by 9½ ft – was one of the largest in the district.

It stood by the turning circle for vehicles going to Heptonstall.

The mill chimney was constructed some distance from the mill and linked by a flue at ground level.

In 1796, the partnership became Turner, Bent & Company, then Hamlet Bent & Company. All of which used the mill.

In the early 19th century, it was one of the first local mills to produce fustian.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The Rev James Armytage Rhodes loaned rooms here for use as a church school.

Much of the mill – then known as Brown's Mill – was destroyed by fire in the the 1980s.

In 2005, it was demolished and houses and business units were built on part of the site. The chimney remains.

See Noah Dale Dam, Colden

Mytholm Mill, Hipperholme
Described as
comprising the mill goit, the mill dam, stone chimney, three-stall stable, the main mill building (now derelict), land, garden and sundry small buildings

the Mill was listed as a part of the Shibden Estate in a sale catalogue of October 1925.

At that time, The garden and stable was occupied by the Leeds Fireclay Company, and the land by Mr Heaton


Question: Does anyone know whether this is the same as Mytholme Mill, Hipperholme?

 


Question: Can anyone tell me anything?

 

Mytholm New Mine, Hipperholme
Recorded in 1920

Mytholme Brick Works, Shibden
Shibden Hall Road. A tramway to the works crossed the road. Recorded in 1930

Mytholme Mill, Brighouse

Mytholme Mill, Hipperholme
Wire mill. This was a part of the Shibden Estate at Mytholme.

Owners and tenants have included

See Mytholm Mill, Hipperholme

Mytholmroyd Mill, Mytholmroyd
Built about 1794 by William Patchett.

Later, it was owned by Thomas Edmundson, a worsted spinner.

In 1836, it was owned by the Fielden family for cotton spinning.

In 1870, William Horsfall rebuilt the mill and changed the name to Grange Mill

Mytholmroyd Sewage Disposal Plant
Redacre. Built in 1902


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2014 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 14:59 on 13th August 2014 / m408_m / 63